Kellen Clemens Future

TNJet

I've always been a fan and liked his cannon of an arm and toughness. What happens next with him since Sanchez is obviously our guy and Rex has taken Grampa Brunell in favor over Clemens. Whats your thoughts? does he get a chance on another team? Stay with us for the minimum for a chance at a ring?

He should start Googling what, exactly, an "argonaut" is.

Ah, Yes, the always hilarious smart remarks from jet fans toward a reserve player...Next... awaiting the McDonalds photos and deli applications....

I know you like Clemens, but I think it's pretty clear that Rex doesn't. He drafted Sanchez, brought in Brunell to be his seasoned mentor, and now he's drafted this McElroy kid that they seem to think could project into a decent backup. I think it's pretty obvious that Kellen doesn't have a role here.

The lockout might be his only hope. With no OTA's to get the rookie up to any kind of speed at all, maybe they'll hold onto Kellen. But even that seems like a tremendous long-shot.

I know you like Clemens, but I think it's pretty clear that Rex doesn't. He drafted Sanchez, brought in Brunell to be his seasoned mentor, and now he's drafted this McElroy kid that they seem to think could project into a decent backup. I think it's pretty obvious that Kellen doesn't have a role here.

The lockout might be his only hope. With no OTA's to get the rookie up to any kind of speed at all, maybe they'll hold onto Kellen. But even that seems like a tremendous long-shot.

Slats I always appreciate your serious input my friend. :)

Whatever else you want to say about Clemens, he had a lot of chances for a guy taken in the low second round. They sat him his first year, (not unusual), then let him start the second half of a disastrous second season. His third year he had a trial with Pennington for starter and appeared to lose out there, but both got bumped by Favre. When Rex came in and drafted Sanchez, he gave Clemens the chance to compete for the starting role the first year. While there was little doubt it was only a matter of time before Sanchez took over eventually, Clemens did so poorly that Rex lost all interest in him as a backup even.

I have nothing against the guy and if Clemens can take advantage of an opportunity and stick someplace else, more power to him. But he certainly had his chances with the New York Jets.

I was actually a fan of Clemens for a while, and I thought he didn't get enough credit for his 2007 performance given the horrid situation he was thrust into early in his career. Going 3-4, including a win over the Steelers, is not too shabby for a team that went 1-8 when QBed by a veteran starter (even if that individual was JC Pennington), and I always felt like he played his best in clutch situations that year. But it just seemed like he continually regressed and while he never got a great chance, it seemed like those times he did have a shot he let it slip through his fingers again and again. Let's be honest, the trade for Favre was mostly caused by the fact that he wasn't able to cleanly beat out Chad in the 2008 preseason, and while Sanchez was certainly the favored one, I don't think there's any question that he won that QB battle legitimately in 2009. I'd bet anything Clemens' time with the Jets is done, but I don't doubt he'll get picked up off the scrap heap by a curious team. Probably somebody who liked him when he came out that's weak at QB will give him a crack at making their roster and see what he's got from there, but he's not getting any chances to start anytime soon without proving a whole lot to whoever his next team is.

Who cares who the back up is. We've got a top 5 Qb in the league in Sanchez!!!

You think the Colts or the Patriots worry about who's backing up Manning and Brady???

You think the Colts or the Patriots worry about who's backing up Manning and Brady???

Oh man. Imagine if the Colts had to rely on Painter in case Manning gets injured. We saw how well that worked out against the Jets.

Not at all, since bad injuries never happen to good players :rolleyes:

I was actually a fan of Clemens for a while, and I thought he didn't get enough credit for his 2007 performance given the horrid situation he was thrust into early in his career. Going 3-4, including a win over the Steelers, is not too shabby for a team that went 1-8 when QBed by a veteran starter (even if that individual was JC Pennington), and I always felt like he played his best in clutch situations that year. But it just seemed like he continually regressed and while he never got a great chance, it seemed like those times he did have a shot he let it slip through his fingers again and again. Let's be honest, the trade for Favre was mostly caused by the fact that he wasn't able to cleanly beat out Chad in the 2008 preseason, and while Sanchez was certainly the favored one, I don't think there's any question that he won that QB battle legitimately in 2009. I'd bet anything Clemens' time with the Jets is done, but I don't doubt he'll get picked up off the scrap heap by a curious team. Probably somebody who liked him when he came out that's weak at QB will give him a crack at making their roster and see what he's got from there, but he's not getting any chances to start anytime soon without proving a whole lot to whoever his next team is.

Clemens was/is mentally weak /thread

Why do you blame Rex? Before he got here they drafted Ainge and brought in Favre. They are either always bringing in QBs or just don't like him.

There were plenty of rumors that they were shopping around the draft in 2010 and had no takers. He'll probably catch on somewhere else, but I think he has almost no hope of making it as a starter.

Why do you blame Rex? Before he got here they drafted Ainge and brought in Favre. They are either always bringing in QBs or just don't like him.

There were plenty of rumors that they were shopping around the draft in 2010 and had no takers. He'll probably catch on somewhere else, but I think he has almost no hope of making it as a starter.

Ainge was drafted what-fifth round? Fifth-round QB's are guys you are hoping might turn into a quality backup-he really wasn't a direct challenge to Clemens. Favre was special circumstance-but if Clemens, in his competition with Pennington, had given the Jets confidence that he was indeed the future of the club, the Jets might not have gotten Favre.

If I were to blame anyone, it would be Kellen himself. He had a couple opportunities, and didn't take advantage of them. I imagine Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Tannenbaum have seen enough of the guy they were ready to make the Jets' starter back when they scouted, worked him out, and drafted him in 2006. I doubt they had much positive to say about him to Rex.

Thing is, I remember Clemens play in a game against the Ravens in which he struggled for three quarters but then was moving the team in the fourth. Justin McCariens (maybe my least favorite Jet of all time) dropped an easy would-be TD and it was like the rest was history from there. I agree with CTM that he's probably just not mentally tough. I think Rex game him a legitimate opportunity to at least start the season the year they drafted Sanchez, but the rookie with 16 college starts on his resume cleanly beat him out.

The lockout hurts him, IMHO. I think a lot of teams will be forced to go with the devil they know at backup, while the Jets will most likely carry just three QB's - Sanchez, Brunell, and McElroy. A team with a terrible situation might give him a shot, and there's probably a few of those. Maybe someone else who liked him as much as Ron Jaworski did when he came out of school.

Ainge was drafted what-fifth round? Fifth-round QB's are guys you are hoping might turn into a quality backup-he really wasn't a direct challenge to Clemens. Favre was special circumstance-but if Clemens, in his competition with Pennington, had given the Jets confidence that he was indeed the future of the club, the Jets might not have gotten Favre.

Drafting a 5th rounder is worse. You have Clemens and you want to add a guy to backup? Same thing with McElroy this year. If they were satisfied with the guy they wouldn't bring in late round guys to compete because they aren't cutting draft picks, so you know those guys are making the roster.

If I were to blame anyone, it would be Kellen himself. He had a couple opportunities, and didn't take advantage of them. I imagine Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Tannenbaum have seen enough of the guy they were ready to make the Jets' starter back when they scouted, worked him out, and drafted him in 2006. I doubt they had much positive to say about him to Rex.

Thing is, I remember Clemens play in a game against the Ravens in which he struggled for three quarters but then was moving the team in the fourth. Justin McCariens (maybe my least favorite Jet of all time) dropped an easy would-be TD and it was like the rest was history from there. I agree with CTM that he's probably just not mentally tough. I think Rex game him a legitimate opportunity to at least start the season the year they drafted Sanchez, but the rookie with 16 college starts on his resume cleanly beat him out.

The lockout hurts him, IMHO. I think a lot of teams will be forced to go with the devil they know at backup, while the Jets will most likely carry just three QB's - Sanchez, Brunell, and McElroy. A team with a terrible situation might give him a shot, and there's probably a few of those. Maybe someone else who liked him as much as Ron Jaworski did when he came out of school.

I remember the Baltimore game and I think it's overstated. It's easy to move the ball on a team up big. It's like hearing how Unitas moved the ball on the Jets in the super bowl. Big ******* deal, he wasn't going to win. IIRC, even if everything went right in that game and McCareins catches everything they only tie. I agree completely on the lockout and his share of the blame. The guy never looked comfortable and if you don't look the part you really have to produce. He didn't.

would be nice to get a tall QB for a change. last QB to start a game for us over 6'3'' was vinny (CP listed at 6'3''). coincidentally brunell, sanchez, clemens, mcelroy all listed at 6'2''. brooksie generously listed at 6'1''. i guess 6'5'' laser rocket arms don't grow on trees but pretty weird that we've gone so long without a guy like that.

I think Clemons should be #2 over Brunell. I just don't trust Brunell to carry the team if Sanchez gets hurt. He's a good mentor, but Clemons is a better player at this point in the game. I'd trust the coach overall, however, since he works with the guys each day. Clemons has definitely gotten his opportunities but hasn't proven himself, so there's a reason he's number 3.

I think Clemons should be #2 over Brunell. I just don't trust Brunell to carry the team if Sanchez gets hurt. He's a good mentor, but Clemons is a better player at this point in the game. I'd trust the coach overall, however, since he works with the guys each day. Clemons has definitely gotten his opportunities but hasn't proven himself, so there's a reason he's number 3.

The fact that people cannot even spell is name should say it all.

Drafting a 5th rounder is worse. You have Clemens and you want to add a guy to backup?

Yes, because the plan was for Clemens to replace Pennington in the starting slot at some point in the near future, in which case you would have Clemens, (3rd year) starting, Pennington, (veteran) as backup and Ainge, (rookie) sitting on the bench and learning. Then the next year Pennington either returns as backup or departs, in which case we pick up another aged veteran as second string for a year. The next year Ainge would be a third year veteran and should be capable of being a backup, assuming he shows enough to stay on the team for three years.

Archived