Todd Heap Picked up by Rex Ryan

Lupz27

He's only missed three games in the last three years. I think the injury things gets overplayed because he was Baltimore's only receiving option for so long. When he went out, it basically ruined their entire offense.

I was thinking this also, he was their only target for years....we'll see how this works. I like the pickup myself.

Is this a done deal or did they just have a meeting?

Keller needs someone like Heap to show him how to play with guts.

Personally, I like 2 TE sets - on both passing and running downs. Heap and Keller on the field at the same time, with Greene and Powell pounding the ball is the type of offense I was hoping we'd have this year. Heap and Hunter in as 2 TEs with Connor and 1 WR on the goal line? Sign me up.

I like Heap, I just hope his contract is A LOT less than whatever someone eventually pays Zach Miller.

I like the two TE packages, too. It would be interesting to see here, though, because the Jets are one of the last teams in the NFL who really embrace the FB role. It's really a mainstay of their running game. What would Todd Heap's expectations be here? Would he want a starting role all but guaranteed? What happens with Keller, then?

Heap seems so much older than 31, too. There's a lot of mileage on him.

I like the two TE packages, too. It would be interesting to see here, though, because the Jets are one of the last teams in the NFL who really embrace the FB role. It's really a mainstay of their running game. What would Todd Heap's expectations be here? Would he want a starting role all but guaranteed? What happens with Keller, then?

Heap seems so much older than 31, too. There's a lot of mileage on him.

Best part of it, slats--it FORCES Schottenheimer to change his philosophy. He used some two-TE sets in San Diego (Gates and Justin Peelle), but has shunned it here, it seems. If the sign Heap, add him with Plaxico, Sanchez's completion percentage jumps 10 percentage points.

Best part of it, slats--it FORCES Schottenheimer to change his philosophy. He used some two-TE sets in San Diego (Gates and Justin Peelle), but has shunned it here, it seems. If the sign Heap, add him with Plaxico, Sanchez's completion percentage jumps 10 percentage points.

Unless they sign Heap as a stopgap and trade Keller for a #2 CB. :)

I like Heap if he is healthy. He can play next to the tackle and get off the line a little bit better than Keller. It also allows Keller to split out a little bit more, where he is more successful.

Heap is a tough SOB - his health is always talked about, but he's like Dallas Clark, probably only getting 14 games out of him, but you want him on the field. He toughs out a lot of injuries too. He's not fragile to be sure, its a stigma that seems to have attached itself to him, but its unwarranted.

Schotty has called a ton of multiple tight end formations the past few years. He has been using an extra lineman (Hunter\Turner) but he seems to like those formations a lot.

Really good point about the completion %. That needs to be the single focus of offensive changes and these moves fit in with that nicely. A 2nd TE that can block and catch. And I would have to think that Plax would be a possession guy at this point. At 6'5" it is going to be hard for Sanchez to throw it over his head.

Stop using goddamn twitter as a source and failing 100% at naming the thread as a rumor like it SHOULD BE. Rex Ryan picks up Heap is a deceptive title. More rumors that's all.

It's not a rumor Rex Ryan picked up Heap personally at Newark Airport gave him a bear hug.

:angry:

i'm just shocked that you have this guy so baited...seriously...how you get these guys to believe you and then make them look like such clowns with simple smilie faces...i tell ya...you should teach a college course on the science of discovering these clowns.

Archived