Holmes May Start Camp on PUP

flgreen

Santonio Holmes may start training camp on PUP list

BY Seth Walder

Santonio Holmes may start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. Rex Ryan revealed Wednesday that the Jets top wide receiver may not be ready to play when the team hits the field in Cortland in late July. Holmes is recovering from a Lisfranc injury suffered during Week 4 of last season.

“Of course Santonio, we’ll see...he’s doing a decent job but we’ll see how he is for training camp,” said Ryan. “There’s a possibility maybe he starts out on PUP, I’m not sure. Seems to be doing well.”

The injury issues at the wide receiver position, which have plagued the Jets in the past, are already cropping up with Holmes, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley and Clyde Gates all missing team drills on Wednesday.

Hill said he had, “just a little bit of liquid, fluid, in my knee. A little bit of swelling.”

Hill added that he would have played had it been the regular season. “It’s not bad, they just want to make sure that there’s no swelling later on during training camp.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

Santonio Holmes could start training camp on physically unable to perform list

Jets OTA workout in Florham Park
View the Slideshow >>

(Gallery by John O'Boyle / The Star-Ledger)

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on June 05, 2013 at 3:17 PM, updated June 05, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Rex Ryan has a laundry list of injured wide receivers on his hands.

Jeremy Kerley (heel), Stephen Hill (knee), Clyde Gates (hamstring) and Santonio Holmes (foot) were all sidelined or not even present during today's OTA session. As chemistry problems continue to mount, it appears his hands are tied. He depends on undrafted free agents like Thomas Mayo, Zach Rogers and Vidal Hazelton to fill in the blanks.

Hill and Gates are expected back next week. Kerley's injury appears to be precautionary.

But the prognosis on Holmes is a little murkier.

"He's doing a decent job, but we'll see how he's doing for training camp," Ryan said. "There's a possibility he maybe starts out on PUP, I'm not sure. But he seems to be doing well."

Holmes wasn't exactly positive about the outlook for his recovery during his last extended meeting with reporters in December. Recovering from the Lisfranc issue may be taking longer than expected, though, leaving the onus on Holmes and either Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith to make up for lost time whenever possible.

From Wikipedia:

During the Napoleonic Wars, Jacques Lisfranc de St. Martin encountered a soldier who suffered from vascular compromise and secondary gangrene of the foot after a fall from a horse.[3] Subsequently, Lisfranc performed an amputation at the level of the tarsometatarsal joints,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisfranc_injury

Hopefully, treatments have improved since then.

I took some heat in this thread for suggesting Holmes might be done...

I've pretty much said the same thing, I think he's done. Even if he's back his half the player he was. This is such a bad break, its been a long time and there seems to be no closer to it being any healthier. We are going to be very thin at WR.

holmes never playing again for the jets would be a good thing.  f him

the hill thing worries me.  swelling and liquid this time of year is scary.  they aren't even really hitting yet

at least he plays a position where speed and cutting doesn't matter too much

holmes never playing again for the jets would be a good thing.  f him

the hill thing worries me.  swelling and liquid this time of year is scary.  they aren't even really hitting yet

at least he plays a position where speed and cutting doesn't matter too much

His hands are the money makers anyway

And inspirational leadership.

I was talking about Hill, You seem to be thinking about Holmes. I don't think Hill is ready to assume that leadership role yet. He's still gotta prove himself before Rex is comfortable naming him a captain.

It was just PAC, it's when he agrees with you that you need to worry

I resemble that remark...

Besides..  why is Bit thumping his chest because Rex said Holmes may start training camp on the PUP list.  That's a far cry from his career being over.

Archived