•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Misc. Jets News

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

The next big thing: Jets
January, 22, 2014
JAN 22
12:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Top priorities for the New York Jets over the next few months: 

nyj.gif1. Trim the fat: The Jets are likely to dump three big contracts before the March 11 start to free agency -- wide receiver Santonio Holmes ($10.8 million cap charge), quarterback Mark Sanchez ($13.1 million) and cornerbackAntonio Cromartie ($15 million). By cutting those three players, the Jets would create $26.1 million in additional cap room, putting them more than $40 million over the salary cap. There probably will be interest in re-signing Cromartie for a lesser amount. 

2. Money to burn: After a year of coping with a salary-cap squeeze, John Idzik finally has the flexibility that every general manager covets. Let's see if he uses the money wisely. His philosophy is to build through the draft, but he'd be crazy not to be active in the free-agent market. First, he should re-sign right tackle Austin Howard and kicker Nick Folk, both of whom will be unrestricted free agents. After that, he needs to find a wide receiver, a tight end and a safety. Names on the radar will be Eric DeckerBrandon Pettigrew and Jairus Byrd, respectively. 

3. Draft for offense: The Jets picked a defensive player with their last five first-round picks. That has to change. With the 18th pick, they need to focus on offensive playmakers. Three names to watch: wide receivers Marqise Lee and Mike Evans and tight end Eric Ebron. If one of the Big Three at quarterbacks falls to 18 -- Johnny ManzielBlake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater -- they'd have to think hard about going in that direction.

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#2 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 26,113 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Idzik - he has money to spend and draft picks to use- all indications he is calculated not high risk and expect that to continue

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#3 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 36,073 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Decker, Pettigrew and Byrd.

If we landed 1 of these 3, I would be psyched. 

2 of these 3 would be gravy.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#4 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Decker, Pettigrew and Byrd.

If we landed 1 of these 3, I would be psyched. 

2 of these 3 would be gravy.

First, I love the New pictures at the bottom of your posts. My man JoeWillie, and his trophy. SWEET.

Decker YES

Byrd YES

Pettigrew MAYBE (I'd rather draft Ebron or Amaro)

Posted Image

#5 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,839 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Pettigrew fits like a glove here. Wont break the bank, is the right age for a FA pickup, fills a need, possibly has more upside...Its one of my favorite potential moves.

OTOH I fully expect that as a non-star in the NFL who survives to FA there is plenty to criticize.

Edited by SenorGato, 22 January 2014 - 01:49 PM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#6 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

I'm sure Cimini is also hearing things inside house: it matches what many here have predicted as well...

"Three names to watch: wide receivers Marqise Lee and Mike Evans and tight end Eric Ebron."

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#7 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,839 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

I didn't even notice the big 3 comment about the QBs but lol.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#8 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm sure Cimini is also hearing things inside house: it matches what many here have predicted as well...

"Three names to watch: wide receivers Marqise Lee and Mike Evans and tight end Eric Ebron."

I don't think he heard a ******* thing.  Neither did we. It's just logic.  

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#9 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

I didn't even notice the big 3 comment about the QBs but lol.

Yeah.  Do you think they might consider Bridgewater if he fell to 18? 

#10 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

Aaron Rodgers fell to the 20's, stranger things have happened.  

#11 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,839 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yeah. Do you think they might consider Bridgewater if he fell to 18?

Just outright take him honestly. No reason not to.

#12 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Just outright take him honestly. No reason not to.

but... but... but... he fell to 18!  He must suck!

#13 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 36,073 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

Geno fell to the 2nd round. This is fun!

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#14 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,839 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Cant wait for Geno to shove his rookies year down some throats. I still saw a ton to like - more than I disliked even.

#15 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

but... but... but... he fell to 18!  He must suck!

the trick is figuring out if he's the next Aaron Rodgers or the next Brady Quinn.   

the truth is nobody knows.    johnny football could be the next joe montana or the next cade mcnown, only time will tell.   

It's like Trading Places with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd - some of the success/failure is nature and some is nurture.   Players like Ryan Leaf and Vernon Gholston were destined to bust regardless of who took them.   Othertimes I think it's a function of environment and which team picks you. 

Would Joe Montana have been Joe Montana without Bill Walsh?    If the Jets drafted Marino over O'Brien would Marino's career have been the same?   Would Tom Brady have been any good without knowing the defensive play calls from the video support?   

#16 SickJetFan

SickJetFan

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

The next big thing: Jets
January, 22, 2014
JAN 22
12:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Top priorities for the New York Jets over the next few months: 

nyj.gif1. Trim the fat: The Jets are likely to dump three big contracts before the March 11 start to free agency -- wide receiver Santonio Holmes ($10.8 million cap charge), quarterback Mark Sanchez ($13.1 million) and cornerbackAntonio Cromartie ($15 million). By cutting those three players, the Jets would create $26.1 million in additional cap room, putting them more than $40 million over the salary cap. There probably will be interest in re-signing Cromartie for a lesser amount. 

2. Money to burn: After a year of coping with a salary-cap squeeze, John Idzik finally has the flexibility that every general manager covets. Let's see if he uses the money wisely. His philosophy is to build through the draft, but he'd be crazy not to be active in the free-agent market. First, he should re-sign right tackle Austin Howard and kicker Nick Folk, both of whom will be unrestricted free agents. After that, he needs to find a wide receiver, a tight end and a safety. Names on the radar will be Eric DeckerBrandon Pettigrew and Jairus Byrd, respectively. 

3. Draft for offense: The Jets picked a defensive player with their last five first-round picks. That has to change. With the 18th pick, they need to focus on offensive playmakers. Three names to watch: wide receivers Marqise Lee and Mike Evans and tight end Eric Ebron. If one of the Big Three at quarterbacks falls to 18 -- Johnny ManzielBlake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater -- they'd have to think hard about going in that direction.

Sign me up - go after all 3 and dont trade away picks - use them all to build a team that will last a while.

#17 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,525 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

duplicate

Edited by kelticwizard, 22 January 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#18 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,525 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Cant wait for Geno to shove his rookies year down some throats. I still saw a ton to like - more than I disliked even.

We had a receiving corps held together by chewing gum and baling wire-then got decimated injuries besides.

Give Geno somebody to throw to and make plays and watch his accuracy improve.  Passing accuracy is largely about confidence.

#19 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

I feel the same, but a whole bunch of that stems from finishing strong.  He had that big swoon in midseason that was brutal.  If he had ended the season performing the way he did in the first Dolphins game instead of the second I would feel way worse about him.  Even with identical stats.  

#20 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,839 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I feel the same, but a whole bunch of that stems from finishing strong. He had that big swoon in midseason that was brutal. If he had ended the season performing the way he did in the first Dolphins game instead of the second I would feel way worse about him. Even with identical stats.

Agreed, the strong finish did it for ne too but I had the faith most of the time anyway.

#21 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

We had a receiving corps held together by chewing gum and baling wire-then got decimated injuries besides.

Give Geno somebody to throw to and make plays and watch his accuracy improve.  Passing accuracy is largely about confidence.

Confidence is very sexy.  Don't you think?

#22 joewillie78

joewillie78

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

They would be falling over themselves as they rush to give Goodell the pick.Legit Franchise QB.

Posted Image

#23 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

They would be falling over themselves as they rush to give Goodell the pick.Legit Franchise QB.

Are you sure?  What did those other 17 teams know?

#24 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,780 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Brandon Pettigrew drops a ton of balls and is a chronic underachiever. Decent blocker, but we need a guy who can be relied upon to make catches. He can't.

#25 joewillie78

joewillie78

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

Are you sure?  What did those other 17 teams know?

Same thing as  the 19 that passed over Rodgers: NOTHING obviously.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users