Jets should trade up in round one

77DRAFT

If the JETS move up they have a target. Most probably its for Mike Evans. In that the only scenario is trading with the Vikings IF Mike Evans is not selected by the Bucs. Vikings wont mind moving down the order because they most likely would draft a QB and most QB's available at #8 will be available at #18. So they would be highly motivated to trade down.

Can the JETS swing it for #18 and their 3rd round pick. If so than it would be great. JETS get their guy and they have three 4th round picks to add depth to their team.

IMHO if Jets trade up its only for 2 guys,,watkins or ebron

I like the idea of drafting 10, give or take 1.

With 12 picks, barring a miracle of drafting, you are pretty much guaranteeing that at least 2 (good chance at least 4) are getting thrown into the garbage.  Great as it is to fantasize, otherwise, a team can have only so many guys on the team who don't know what they're doing and who also provide no leadership whatsoever.

On the one hand, we have so many late picks that using all of them on selections means that we're 2-3x as likely to hit paydirt with a total of 3 different keepers from rounds 5-7.  If it means throwing 3 other late picks in the garbage, then so be it because their most likely outcome is a backup or practice squad player who is off the roster by year 3.

On the other hand, this is a particularly deep draft, meaning the likelihood of getting a player who sticks around is greater than in other years. Therefore deciding to throw 2-4 picks in the garbage is not maximizing their value; the likelihood of a 5th-7th rounder sticking may already be 1.5-2x greater than in most drafts anyway.

I wouldn't complain too badly if we took 10, including all 3 of our first 3 picks, plus a minimum of 2 of our 4th rounders.  Either use 2 later ones to move up (though not in the early rounds, as you don't move up much in rounds 1-3 by surrendering a 6th rounder), or use 1 to move up and another for a round higher next year (so we'll again have at least 8 picks in '15).  Other thing to keep in mind is our late 4th and the 3 late 6th picks are untradeable; we must use those picks ourselves. So after round 4 the only ones that can be traded are our original 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

Last thing to consider (in pre-draft planning) is that picks in a deeper draft like this may be worth more than their chart values.  Last year was the same thing because it also wasn't so top-heavy.  So trading down teams didn't get great value in that type of draft, and one can get better than chart-value by trading up (not that the chart is an accurate representation of value in the first place, since JJ created it before free agency or the salary cap, but that's another topic).  It's very likely why we didn't trade out of either of our first 2 picks, as we were reportedly trying to do.  Then again had we traded down from #13, in hindsight we wouldn't have done as well because Richardson is such a beast.

Should be entertaining no matter what's done.  Either we move around or we get to watch the team make a dozen selections. :hap:

3 - 4th rounders

4 - 6th rounders

If we need to secure a prospect and need to add our original pick in the 5th or 6th round I'm all for it. As for as the fourth rounders. If we are eager to trade back to the 2nd round for a second selection would mind trading a 3rd and a 4th to do so. It kinds of sucks Tampa cut Revis I tell you.

I am pretty sure you can't trade those compensatory picks.  That limits being able to move most of those.

I like the idea of drafting 10, give or take 1.

With 12 picks, barring a miracle of drafting, you are pretty much guaranteeing that at least 2 (good chance at least 4) are getting thrown into the garbage.  Great as it is to fantasize, otherwise, a team can have only so many guys on the team who don't know what they're doing and who also provide no leadership whatsoever.

On the one hand, we have so many late picks that using all of them on selections means that we're 2-3x as likely to hit paydirt with a total of 3 different keepers from rounds 5-7.  If it means throwing 3 other late picks in the garbage, then so be it because their most likely outcome is a backup or practice squad player who is off the roster by year 3.

On the other hand, this is a particularly deep draft, meaning the likelihood of getting a player who sticks around is greater than in other years. Therefore deciding to throw 2-4 picks in the garbage is not maximizing their value; the likelihood of a 5th-7th rounder sticking may already be 1.5-2x greater than in most drafts anyway.

I wouldn't complain too badly if we took 10, including all 3 of our first 3 picks, plus a minimum of 2 of our 4th rounders.  Either use 2 later ones to move up (though not in the early rounds, as you don't move up much in rounds 1-3 by surrendering a 6th rounder), or use 1 to move up and another for a round higher next year (so we'll again have at least 8 picks in '15).  Other thing to keep in mind is our late 4th and the 3 late 6th picks are untradeable; we must use those picks ourselves. So after round 4 the only ones that can be traded are our original 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

Last thing to consider (in pre-draft planning) is that picks in a deeper draft like this may be worth more than their chart values.  Last year was the same thing because it also wasn't so top-heavy.  So trading down teams didn't get great value in that type of draft, and one can get better than chart-value by trading up (not that the chart is an accurate representation of value in the first place, since JJ created it before free agency or the salary cap, but that's another topic).  It's very likely why we didn't trade out of either of our first 2 picks, as we were reportedly trying to do.  Then again had we traded down from #13, in hindsight we wouldn't have done as well because Richardson is such a beast.

Should be entertaining no matter what's done.  Either we move around or we get to watch the team make a dozen selections. :hap:

How many hands do you have?

I like the idea of the Jets selecting 12 players, or even more. I'm with your one hand. With all those late picks, just grab all you can and hope one or two of them are the real deal. Trading up is no guarantee that you're not throwing picks in the garbage, especially if we're talking about trading up in later rounds. Spending three picks on Shonn Greene comes to mind.

They have enough picks to be very flexible. They could trade back in the first, then trade back up in the second or later, and still make 12 selections.

But... Last year, Idzik was rumored to be looking to move, and never did. I expect more of the same this year. I imagine his negotiations with other GMs are similar to his negotiations with free agents: he has a price in mind, and he won't deviate from it.

I like the idea of the Jets selecting 12 players, or even more. I'm with your one hand. With all those late picks, just grab all you can and hope one or two of them are the real deal. Trading up is no guarantee that you're not throwing picks in the garbage, especially if we're talking about trading up in later rounds. Spending three picks on Shonn Greene comes to mind.

They have enough picks to be very flexible. They could trade back in the first, then trade back up in the second or later, and still make 12 selections.

But... Last year, Idzik was rumored to be looking to move, and never did. I expect more of the same this year. I imagine his negotiations with other GMs are similar to his negotiations with free agents: he has a price in mind, and he won't deviate from it.

I hear ya, but 12 picks plus UDFAs seems a bit much. I wouldnt mind a few picks in out years

I hear ya, but 12 picks plus UDFAs seems a bit much. I wouldnt mind a few picks in out years

Last year, Idzik took over a team completely devoid of any sort of depth. All of his picks made the roster. That may not happen with 12 picks, but he has a practice squad to fill, too. Trading picks because you think you have too many is a poor reason to trade them, IMHO. Having all those picks gives them a lot of freedom. They can really follow their board without deviating for need.

But they have needs everywhere. WR, CB, TE, S, LB, OL, and of course, QB. They need special teamers. Throwing a lot of bodies at those issues makes sense to me.

Last year, Idzik took over a team completely devoid of any sort of depth. All of his picks made the roster. That may not happen with 12 picks, but he has a practice squad to fill, too. Trading picks because you think you have too many is a poor reason to trade them, IMHO. Having all those picks gives them a lot of freedom. They can really follow their board without deviating for need.

But they have needs everywhere. WR, CB, TE, S, LB, OL, and of course, QB. They need special teamers. Throwing a lot of bodies at those issues makes sense to me.

I'm with you on this. We have a lot of holes to fill.

I'm with you on this. We have a lot of holes to fill.

I hear you guys, but 12 picks and UDFAs, then who gets cut? That is a lot of Vets who know system leaving at once.

Anyone know the NFL record for roster over haul in 1 season, aka, new guys to make team via draft or UDFA (trades or FA doesnt count, they are Vets already)?

I hear you guys, but 12 picks and UDFAs, then who gets cut? That is a lot of Vets who know system leaving at once.

Anyone know the NFL record for roster over haul in 1 season, aka, new guys to make team via draft or UDFA (trades or FA doesnt count, they are Vets already)?

Again, all their picks made the roster last year. If seven or eight make the roster this year, and the rest make the practice squad, that's not bad either.

But there are plenty of guys that can -and will- be cut from this roster. Guys they've been carrying for years at the backup LB and OL spots, the entire secondary, most of their WRs, Matt Simms. Improving the roster means making cuts. How many UDFAs make the team every year? One? Idzik says he's all about competition, he should bring in all he can.

And like I said earlier, I expect him to keep all his picks simply because he'll have such a hard time getting other GM's to deal with his rigid negotiation style.

Again, all their picks made the roster last year. If seven or eight make the roster this year, and the rest make the practice squad, that's not bad either.

But there are plenty of guys that can -and will- be cut from this roster. Guys they've been carrying for years at the backup LB and OL spots, the entire secondary, most of their WRs, Matt Simms. Improving the roster means making cuts. How many UDFAs make the team every year? One? Idzik says he's all about competition, he should bring in all he can.

And like I said earlier, I expect him to keep all his picks simply because he'll have such a hard time getting other GM's to deal with his rigid negotiation style.

ya, well I guess we will soon find out.

What makes you think that ?

It wont make sense trading up for a TE and the asking price to trade up for Watkins would be too high.

If Idzik feels value there,, we need speed wr and a go to safety valve mismatch TE for Geno.. immediate boost to Jets offense

Yeah that's why I said it's a real option and while I probably prefer them drafting 10, Idzik drafting 12 may in fact be the best option.  Every year if you start with 1 pick in each round from the 5th to 7th, it's a success if you can get one so-so starter from round 5 onward even if he isn't all that amazing (e.g. Slauson).

Taking 6 players instead of 3 means we could walk away with 3 starters (or at least skew the odds in our favor).  And whatever 3 we think are best may be upgrades from one or more that might have made the cut otherwise.

I think the only thing that gets in the way for me is that the draft is supposed to be so deep.  So in those late rounds if you have a couple of good options (not separated by much, but one is clearly more useful in terms of fit) it may be worthwhile down there to move up for need a little.  

I don't know.  It's all semantics because we're not on day 3 of the draft yet.  We don't know what we got in the first 3-4 rounds, or in particular the first 1-2 rounds. Also we don't know who's left.  What if we go CB and S in the first 4 rounds and the value in rounds 6-7 is all in the defensive backfield? I know we need help in the secondary, but we do we need to make 4+ picks for back there because that's where the value is?

Pittsburgh is supposed to have their eye on Beckham or Cooks. If we view them as a target, moving up may be necessary.

Exactly the point of this post,this may be the one draft that you have to move

up, elite talent could fall, but you don't want to chance it necessarily, we need

a gamechanger and I think there will be a run on them early.

I like the idea of drafting approximately 10 guys this year also. Twelve guys aren't going to make this roster, and there are a variety of ways to utilize the picks better than stashing some guys on the practice squad where they can get scooped up by teams with less depth.

That doesn't necessarily mean they just need to trade up either. I've always wanted the Jets to do more trading for future picks, so even if they trade this year's 5 for a 4 next year they're not hurting long-term depth. It's a better allocation of the selections when there's not room on a roster for all of the picks.

The other solid option would be moving up in the mid-rounds. I'm not a huge fan of the concept of moving up in the first or really into the second - but say they can package Tampa's 4 and a 6 to move up into the back end of day 2 to get a guy they really like. They'll still have the 3 comp 6th's and maybe get a better quality player. Even feasible if they move back in the first - parlay those extra day 3 picks into more picks into that day 2 early day 3 meat of the draft.

They have 4 day 3 selections that they can't move regardless of everything else with the comp picks. Even Tampa's pick and the Jets' original 4th should get them into the early 80's is. Like two guys on the board at the 80th pick? Trade the two 4th's you can move, go get both, still have a 4th round comp selection and another 6 picks after that. 

I think moving up in the 1st 2 or 3 rounds may cost too much in compensation to interest Idzik.  He did not move up to get Geno when he fell last year and we viewed him as a first round talent at a need position.  If there is moving around this year, I think it will be on day 3.

Archived