Lost my passion for the Jets

use2Jet

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And these, to me, are all fair criticisms of Rex. Along with clock management and usage of challenges. But, I'm not sure it's the reason players don't get better. Because, players have their own motivation to get better. While Club Rex may be fun for a while, you think Sanchez wouldn't have been better off, despite the absurd contract he got, by being good? He's competing with Matt Barkley for a back-up job. I think it's very possible that the handful, and honestly it's not that many, players who haven't improved really just aren't any good. Also, we haven't had the benefit of having anyone who you could bring in to bench a player. Was Sanchez really going to get benched for Brunell? Tebow? Dude just sucked, that's about it as far as I can tell.

Ultimately, the current state of the Jets, I don't think is because of lack of discipline, it's because of lack of talent due to poor/no drafting and awful contracts.

Regarding Sanchez specifically, I think he was an immature foof with a high-maintenance personality and stars in his eyes. Given that, there was literally no worse situation for him to come into than the Woody/Tanny/Rex Jets. He was handed the starting job on draft night, Woody had him on billboards a few months later, and Tannenbaum went on a victory parade because he got to do his favorite thing in the world--trade up in the draft for one of Todd McShay's hotttt prospectzzzzz. I don't want to get into the hypotheticals game where we imagine what Sanchez could have been elsewhere, but putting his career in the hands of Los Tres Moroñas was the opposite of the thing that he should have hoped for.

Regarding Sanchez specifically, I think he was an immature foof with a high-maintenance personality and stars in his eyes. Given that, there was literally no worse situation for him to come into than the Woody/Tanny/Rex Jets. He was handed the starting job on draft night, Woody had him on billboards a few months later, and Tannenbaum went on a victory parade because he got to do his favorite thing in the world--trade up in the draft for one of Todd McShay's hotttt prospectzzzzz. I don't want to get into the hypotheticals game where we imagine what Sanchez could have been elsewhere, but putting his career in the hands of Los Tres Moroñas was the opposite of the thing that he should have hoped for.

Don't forget the HC got a tattoo of him on his arm

"I don't want to get into the hypotheticals..."

im-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-a

Yes, yes. A thousand times, yes.

The talent problem on this team was all Tannenbaum's fault until ten seconds after he was fired, then it was all Rex's fault. Its a joke.

You'll recall that my major complaint about Tannenbaum was that he provided less than zero as a talent evaluator, and that failing led to him having to lean on his coaches to pick players for him, which led to mother****ing Mike Westhoff getting to burn draft picks on special teamers. You'll recall (or you won't), the big buzzword around the Jets personnel selections while Mangini was here was "character." Then when Mangini was fired, the personnel buzzword instantly, coincidentally, turned to "swagger." But you hold on to the belief that Rex was an innocent victim of the personnel department while simultaneously not giving Mangini the same excuse. Willful denial looks good on you.

I think this whole complaint is bullsh*t, too.

Of course you do.

It might've been true with earlier in his career, but he's a guy who's grown on the job.

See: Edwards, Herm

He coddled Sanchez, no doubt about it, but there's also no doubt that he hasn't coddled Geno.

Because Sanchez was his pick and Geno was forced upon him.

See: tattoos, gross

[

He benched him, despite the fact that he had no one else on the roster who could play QB, and Geno responded positively.

Hold on...I heard that you weren't allowed to bench a struggling, young QB unless there was a qualified backup on the team?

See: Sanchez, Mark, 2010-2013

He's also evolved in his offensive philosophy. The ground & pound thing has been overplayed (and was probably a good strategy with Mark Sanchez at QB), but the guy understands you have to throw the ball and score points in order to win

Ummm

One of the dumbest things that gets repeated around here all the time is that Rex knows nothing about offense. It's impossible to be as great a defensive coach as he is without understanding offense.

See: Ryan, Buddy

He's on the same page with Mornhinweg (and Idzik, for that matter) on offense. They all want to run the ball, but all understand the need to throw it. If we're gonna blame Rex for player acquisitions, let's blame him for signing the top WR and QB in free agency this offseason, and another WR, and a RB who can catch. And drafting a TE in the second round, and three more WRs. Because he hates offense.

I don't think being a guy that the players want to play for is a negative, though.

See: Edwards, Herm

He's a lot more like Pete Carroll than Bill Belichick, but both styles can win championships in this league.

Rex is a lot like pre-USC Carroll. Post-USC Carroll is a lot like Belichick.

Do you think that the Jets handled Sanchez well?

No.  Because the only way to handle Sanchez well was to not draft him.

You can call that passing on the question if you want, but I simply don't think Sanchez had NFL QB ability.  So, essentially, the Jets could have done a million different things, and Sanchez still would be where he is now, looking fighting for a 2nd string job.

No. Because the only way to handle Sanchez well was to not draft him.

You can call that passing on the question if you want, but I simply don't think Sanchez had NFL QB ability. So, essentially, the Jets could have done a million different things, and Sanchez still would be where he is now, looking fighting for a 2nd string job.

Then this brings us back to the head coach and four years worth of starts.

Awful.

But then I look at the alternatives, Kellen Clemens, Mark Brunell, Matt Simms, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow, and I am brought back to the guy responsible for acquiring talent.

This is such an idiotic opinion. We (rex haters and supporters) can all agree Rex coddled Consuela, and likewise, we should all be able to agree that Rex had:

1) No better alternative for 4 years (actually 5 tbh, cause Garrad and Geno were worse)

2) Wasn't going to bench a top 5 pick after 2 deep playoff runs in his 1st and 2nd year. It's just not going to happen, the organization had a lot invested in Sanchez, were winning in spite of him, and praying that he was going to develop into something worthy of his draft status. 

Essentially 2012 was really the only year you could reasonable hold Rex's feet to the fire, but that depends on how much you blame Rex for Tebow being his #2. To me, based solely on anecdotal evidence  (he played mcElroy over Tebow + Tebow was more of a business decision then an on the field one (which suggests GM and owner)), I have to give him a pass for that one.

The guy has had 1 losing season in 5 tries s a HC, a feat that few others can match, not Belichick, not Carrol, (Harbaug hasn't even coached 5) and certainly nobody can make that claim who has had bottom 5 QB play year in and year out.

This is such an idiotic opinion. We (rex haters and supporters) can all agree Rex coddled Consuela, and likewise, we should all be able to agree that Rex had:

1) No better alternative for 4 years (actually 5 tbh, cause Garrad and Geno were worse)

2) Wasn't going to bench a top 5 pick after 2 deep playoff runs in his 1st and 2nd year. It's just not going to happen, the organization had a lot invested in Sanchez, were winning in spite of him, and praying that he was going to develop into something worthy of his draft status.

Essentially 2012 was really the only year you could reasonable hold Rex's feet to the fire, but that depends on how much you blame Rex for Tebow being his #2. To me, based solely on anecdotal evidence (he played mcElroy over Tebow + Tebow was more of a business decision then an on the field one (which suggests GM and owner)), I have to give him a pass for that one.

The guy has had 1 losing season in 5 tries s a HC, a feat that few others can match, not Belichick, not Carrol, (Harbaug hasn't even coached 5) and certainly nobody can make that claim who has had bottom 5 QB play year in and year out.

He's also had two winning seasons in five years , should have been one.

Few others have ever reached such God like status among their fan base after doing so little.

He's also had two winning seasons in five years , should have been one.

Few others have ever reached such God like status among their fan base after doing so little.

God-like status?  LOL, you clearly have no ******* clue what you're blathering on about.  You've been here about five minutes and yet spend nearly every post trying to tell everyone else what you have decided this entire board supposedly thinks, and are so completely off the mark in the process.

Rex catches a ton of sh*t around here, and a good bit of quite deserved, but there's also a good bit of the supposed "defense" he gets that is a matter of pointing out the failures in logic caused by the compulsive need for some Jets fans to blame absolutely everything on only one person.  It only becomes more comical in your case, when you try to paint some of the board's most notoriously negative posters as "lovers" simply because they opt not to blindly concede to every negative comment.  There is actually a middle ground that exists somewhere between mindlessly excusing Rex from any blame for every last thing that has happened since he got here, and inventing reasons to incessantly whine about him for things which have no basis in reality.

God-like status? LOL, you clearly have no ******* clue what you're blathering on about. You've been here about five minutes and yet spend nearly every post trying to tell everyone else what you have decided this entire board supposedly thinks, and are so completely off the mark in the process.

Rex catches a ton of sh*t around here, and a good bit of quite deserved, but there's also a good bit of the supposed "defense" he gets that is a matter of pointing out the failures in logic caused by the compulsive need for some Jets fans to blame absolutely everything on only one person. It only becomes more comical in your case, when you try to paint some of the board's most notoriously negative posters as "lovers" simply because they opt not to blindly concede to every negative comment. There is actually a middle ground that exists somewhere between mindlessly excusing Rex from any blame for every last thing that has happened since he got here, and inventing reasons to incessantly whine about him for things which have no basis in reality.

All in all, I think many of our debates here, though hyperbolic, are genuinely positive and good sport. The lack of malice here is what makes this board different.

God-like status? LOL, you clearly have no ******* clue what you're blathering on about. You've been here about five minutes and yet spend nearly every post trying to tell everyone else what you have decided this entire board supposedly thinks, and are so completely off the mark in the process.

Rex catches a ton of sh*t around here, and a good bit of quite deserved, but there's also a good bit of the supposed "defense" he gets that is a matter of pointing out the failures in logic caused by the compulsive need for some Jets fans to blame absolutely everything on only one person. It only becomes more comical in your case, when you try to paint some of the board's most notoriously negative posters as "lovers" simply because they opt not to blindly concede to every negative comment. There is actually a middle ground that exists somewhere between mindlessly excusing Rex from any blame for every last thing that has happened since he got here, and inventing reasons to incessantly whine about him for things which have no basis in reality.

I've been reading here for a year before I posted here, I know exactly what I am blathering about.

Archived