Harvin is the 2014 rope Idzik just placed on Geno

SouthernJet

If Geno falters rest of season w/playmaker, with healthy Decker, emerging Amaro etc, this will justify (especially w/Geno a 2nd Rd pick) the Jets trading up to get Mariota or if that fails signing Free Agent QB Hoyer. Again, just my opinion and I am a 62 yr old, 50 yr Jet fan Bleed Greener and Homer :)

I think Connor Cook will be right there for the taking at the draft position we'll be at...no need trading anything

could very well be if price to trade up is prohibitive, If cooks, then I say they will also sign a Vet QB free agents willing to be 1 year starter/eventual backup

Geno >>>> Mariota

agree to disagree,, all scouts say Mariota is great at reading calmly his 3 progressions with WRs after primary covered, a MUST skill in NFL. Geno is still HORRID at that, he panics after Primary covered and instead of stepping up in pocket like a Pro, he turns and bolts

1 MARCUS MARIOTA QB, Oregon Ducks
Through four games, all wins, Mariota is completing 74 percent of his passes, has 13 TD throws, and is yet to throw an INT. Basically, par for the course. He’s simply a terrifying QB to defend because he combines above-average accuracy and anticipation with an ability to get through his progressions and elite athleticism. He isn’t a classic dropback passer, and how well he can take apart a defense with tools other than his legs matters in terms of how he is viewed as a prospect, but his ability to throw on the run or to simply take off and pick up chunk yardage as a runner is a major plus.

agree to disagree,, all scouts say Mariota is great at reading calmly his 3 progressions with WRs after primary covered, a MUST skill in NFL. Geno is still HORRID at that, he panics after Primary covered and instead of stepping up in pocket like a Pro, he turns and bolts

1 MARCUS MARIOTA QB, Oregon Ducks
Through four games, all wins, Mariota is completing 74 percent of his passes, has 13 TD throws, and is yet to throw an INT. Basically, par for the course. He’s simply a terrifying QB to defend because he combines above-average accuracy and anticipation with an ability to get through his progressions and elite athleticism. He isn’t a classic dropback passer, and how well he can take apart a defense with tools other than his legs matters in terms of how he is viewed as a prospect, but his ability to throw on the run or to simply take off and pick up chunk yardage as a runner is a major plus.

i'll agree to disagree. The experts are never wrong. They'll say this now and if Mariota falters then they'll say they knew this all along going back to his college days. The experts were saying that the Cowboys would be the worst team in their division and one of the worst in the league and Romo is washed up. Now the experts are saying that Romo is playing top notch, the offensive line has 3 1st rounders on it which is why Murray is having quite the season and the Cowboys are arguably the best team in the NFL after beating the Seahawks. 

I prefer your opinion over the scouts/experts for sure. 

Mariota is another Brady Quinn another Tebow another Sanchez another _____ QB first rounder that people get enamoured by. If the kid is there in the 3rd or 4th pick him up. We dont develop QBs. that is obvious. Id rather give Simms a shot if Geno doesnt get it done and use our highest pick to draft a WR. Hoyer is staying in Cleveland and if there is any big QB splash pick that the Jets do it is trading the house to get manziel cause we all know that is the kind of crap NY pulls...

If Geno falters rest of season w/playmaker, with healthy Decker, emerging Amaro etc, this will justify (especially w/Geno a 2nd Rd pick) the Jets trading up to get Mariota or if that fails signing Free Agent QB Hoyer. Again, just my opinion and I am a 62 yr old, 50 yr Jet fan Bleed Greener and Homer :)

I may not always agree with you, but your opinion is always respected sir.

Mariota is another Brady Quinn another Tebow another Sanchez another _____ QB first rounder that people get enamoured by. If the kid is there in the 3rd or 4th pick him up. We dont develop QBs. that is obvious. Id rather give Simms a shot if Geno doesnt get it done and use our highest pick to draft a WR. Hoyer is staying in Cleveland and if there is any big QB splash pick that the Jets do it is trading the house to get manziel cause we all know that is the kind of crap NY pulls...

I would also like for Simms to get a shot.

I think "it depends". Like it depends on Harvin being healthy for at least 6 of the remaining games. It depends on The OL health. As of today I would grade out Geno as a D. Sure he looks better with Decker out there so maybe it's a lack of WR seperation making him look bad but he has consistently shown poor judgement and a quick panic button. Maybe he will mature out of that behavior but that ain't gonna happen in the next 9 games. Harvin was a steal, a bargain to good to pass up. I think he's a building block for the future. Now let's see how Geno plays out the string. Does he grow up and take control of his life and this team or melt into a big pile of cr@p.

Geno was on already a  2014 rope right from the start of the season or from start of training camp.

The JETS were going to give look at Geno for the entire season OR till he sh1t the bed badly.

All the Harvin signing does is help him if Harvin works out.

I also think the numbers from Geno may not change that dramatically although the offense and for that matter KR's will be that much more potent.

I would also like for Simms to get a shot.

Me too...but harvins pick up all but guarantees Geno's gonna get the rest of the season to prove himself... It's a shame cause Geno is no way the answer. He's panic city back there with no awareness. It's a shame Simms isnt, at the very least, getting a shot.

Stop. Why? No.

Because Geno sucks and Vick is a waste of time and money.

Why start Geno? If he plays well and it's announced that its his job next year you can kiss goodbye to 2015. Geno sucks. He doesn't have it. He fails the eye test and he didnt even play well at NE like some people think.

what happens if we see a repeat of last season?   Geno closes strong with 4 good games and seems to show progress.    Can you discount the body of work over 2 seasons?   

Idzik pushed all in with Geno and now he needs to own the failure.    with 12 picks and plenty of cap space he could have picked any number of QB's this past draft.    Big John the hypocrite passed on Manziel, Garrapolo, Mettenburger, and Savage.    

Now we are supposed to give Idzik the chance to start fresh and this time use a top 10 pick to roll the dice on another QB.   I don't think so.   If we start fresh it's with a new GM/HC combo.  

what happens if we see a repeat of last season?   Geno closes strong with 4 good games and seems to show progress.    Can you discount the body of work over 2 seasons?   

Depends on how Geno looks.  If he wins the games at the end of this season like he did last season, simplifying the offense and going maximal running, then he probably won't survive.  If he wins the games by opening up the offense and putting together some real good offensive games together, then he probably will survive as #1.  Harvin can help him show if he can do the latter-Geno had nobody to do that with until now, (Decker is more of a possession type guy).

Depends on how Geno looks. If he wins the games at the end of this season like he did last season, simplifying the offense and going maximal running, then he probably won't survive. If he wins the games by opening up the offense and putting together some real good offensive games together, then he probably will survive as #1. Harvin can help him show if he can do the latter-Geno had nobody to do that with until now, (Decker is more of a possession type guy).

If Geno is the QB next year, we are all f--ked!!!

Because Geno sucks and Vick is a waste of time and money.

Why start Geno? If he plays well and it's announced that its his job next year you can kiss goodbye to 2015. Geno sucks. He doesn't have it. He fails the eye test and he didnt even play well at NE like some people think.

I don't disagree. Except Simms isn't any better at all. So what's the point?

One was drafted in the 2nd round. One wasn't drafted at all. There's a reason Simms hasn't been given a start. He's awful.

The little I saw of him in preseason was pleasantly surprising.

He didnt look like Peyton manning, but he sure as sh*t looked better than Geno.

This is why we can never make any headway on our NYJ team. Look at Cam Newton over with the Panthers. He was a bad QB for hist 1st 4-5 years and now all of a sudden with better personell and time to develop has shown he is a very good QB. If Jets would have drafted him we would have never got to that point because he would have been run out of town in his 2nd season. When Geno runs here and there, passes off the run, and sits back in a pocket that doesn 't collapse around him he has been pretty decent. Sure there's times he holds the ball a little to long but he has been getting better. You can see he is much better at the times in the season when Decker has been playing healthy. Granted we need to get better in the Red Zone O area but that is more of the talent and play calls hurting that. This team could have easily been 4-3 the way he has played if the D would have not given up such long drives a critical points this season. The D is supposed to be the main strength of the team and has clearly taken a step back and not just due to the CB situation. We are a leader in sacks, but never seem to get them at the right times when needed and both this and last year is rediculous that we can never force any turnovers. We need Barnes and Babin to help consistently to get pressure on QBs because we are not a team that will win shootouts. We are built to win games that are low scoring and that is difficullt to do when the D is giving up 25+ points per game.

This is why we can never make any headway on our NYJ team. Look at Cam Newton over with the Panthers. He was a bad QB for hist 1st 4-5 years and now all of a sudden with better personell and time to develop has shown he is a very good QB. If Jets would have drafted him we would have never got to that point because he would have been run out of town in his 2nd season. When Geno runs here and there, passes off the run, and sits back in a pocket that doesn 't collapse around him he has been pretty decent. Sure there's times he holds the ball a little to long but he has been getting better. You can see he is much better at the times in the season when Decker has been playing healthy. Granted we need to get better in the Red Zone O area but that is more of the talent and play calls hurting that. This team could have easily been 4-3 the way he has played if the D would have not given up such long drives a critical points this season. The D is supposed to be the main strength of the team and has clearly taken a step back and not just due to the CB situation. We are a leader in sacks, but never seem to get them at the right times when needed and both this and last year is rediculous that we can never force any turnovers. We need Barnes and Babin to help consistently to get pressure on QBs because we are not a team that will win shootouts. We are built to win games that are low scoring and that is difficullt to do when the D is giving up 25+ points per game.

I am always one for patience, but Geno's not the guy. -

with me it's not about the mistakes Geno's making or even the inaccurate throws.  What worries me most about Geno is that I have never seen him make a "play"  - meaning do something, anything where you say "WOW, this guy can be great"  Yes, he's made some nice throws (but he was a 2nd rd. draft pick in the NFL of course he can make some nice throws) When was the last time he took over a play and made something happen instead of taking what was given.

I think idzik has probably been after harvin for 6 months or more.   the price finally was right with the deadline looming

ya he knows Sea cap #s AND where they want to spend it as well as anyone so he knew harvin was the bait they had to use to get cap $ for Russell.

Me too...but harvins pick up all but guarantees Geno's gonna get the rest of the season to prove himself... It's a shame cause Geno is no way the answer. He's panic city back there with no awareness. It's a shame Simms isnt, at the very least, getting a shot.

I completely agree..I had a previous post where I stated that now that the season is over, Geno will stop looking as horrific as he truly is, and will promptly be forced down our throats yet again and this also guarantees a crappy HC to replace Rex.

Archived