Scouting Department needs to go as well......

joewilly12

Scouting bosses deserve scrutiny, too

Whoever the Jets hire as general manager must take a long look at the team’s scouting department.

It’s easy to blame John Idzik for every personnel choice that was made in the past two years, but he has been leaning on his scouting department, which has done a terrible job. It has been almost a decade since a Jets had a draft you could point to and say they nailed it. The 2006 draft is the last one that was really solid.

It is time to take a long look at senior director of college scouting Terry Bradway, who has been involved with the Jets drafts for 14 years. It is impossible to know which players Bradway is directly responsible for and which he was overruled on, but overall the Jets have not drafted well in years and it is killing them.

Who is the last mid- or late-round draft pick that has emerged as a star for the Jets? Jeremy Kerley, a 2011 fifth-rounder, is a solid player, but he’s not a star. If you look around the league, the best teams are not the ones that nail their first-round picks, but those that find gems in the middle and late rounds. The Jets have failed miserably doing that.

Idzik’s two drafts have been soundly criticized. The early returns on those drafts is not good, but failure in the 2013 or ’14 drafts are not the reason the Jets are 3-12. Failure in the drafts from 2008-12 is. The core of this team should have come from those drafts. There are no players on this roster from the 2008 or ’09 drafts. Only Kyle Wilson remains from 2010 (John Conner returned as a free agent.) Muhammad Wilkerson is a star, Kerley is a strong third receiver and Demario Davis is a solid starter. The rest of the 2011 and 2012 drafts are weak.

When Johnson starts making changes, it can’t just stop with Idzik and Rex Ryan. The entire scouting operation needs to be looked at.

I'm really hoping this is what casserly and wolf spend a majority of their time fixing. They (wolf and casserly) have to bring a guy in that can run the scouting like the teams that have success picking players.

As a result, those teams experience extended periods of competitiveness. Do the steelers, packers, and patriots win the SB every year? Hell No! ...do they deserve to be in the conversation evey year? Are they moving in the right direction every year? Hell yes!

Via Brian Coz NY Post

Whoever the Jets hire as general manager must take a long look at the team’s scouting department.

It’s easy to blame John Idzik for every personnel choice that was made in the past two years, but he has been leaning on his scouting department, which has done a terrible job. It has been almost a decade since a Jets had a draft you could point to and say they nailed it. The 2006 draft is the last one that was really solid.

It is time to take a long look at senior director of college scouting Terry Bradway, who has been involved with the Jets drafts for 14 years. It is impossible to know which players Bradway is directly responsible for and which he was overruled on, but overall the Jets have not drafted well in years and it is killing them.

Who is the last mid- or late-round draft pick that has emerged as a star for the Jets? Jeremy Kerley, a 2011 fifth-rounder, is a solid player, but he’s not a star. If you look around the league, the best teams are not the ones that nail their first-round picks, but those that find gems in the middle and late rounds. The Jets have failed miserably doing that.

Idzik’s two drafts have been soundly criticized. The early returns on those drafts is not good, but failure in the 2013 or ’14 drafts are not the reason the Jets are 3-12. Failure in the drafts from 2008-12 is. The core of this team should have come from those drafts. There are no players on this roster from the 2008 or ’09 drafts. Only Kyle Wilson remains from 2010 (John Conner returned as a free agent.) Muhammad Wilkerson is a star, Kerley is a strong third receiver and Demario Davis is a solid starter. The rest of the 2011 and 2012 drafts are weak.

When Johnson starts making changes, it can’t just stop with Idzik and Rex Ryan. The entire scouting operation needs to be looked at.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/25/15-names-to-watch-for-jets-gm/

It is my understanding that teams like all business keep their records for years.  Scouts can not hide, they turn reports on players into the team and hopefully the team keeps them for years and uses them to grade his work. It is not just the players that the jets chose, the guy probably scouted 50 players with some intensity. Those 50 players with grades are in or out of the league and thier performance can be equated to the grade assigned.  A guy could have ranked 40 guys spot on but the two  guys the jets drafted he was wrong on. Bad for the jets that they got the wrong end of the stick but the guy can show that he was right much more than wrong. 

Amazing to me that Bradway isn't more of a focal point.  After all, aside from Woody, he really is the common thread.  GM from 2001 to 2006 and  Grand Poobah of personnel  and scouting since then.  14 years of ineptitude deserves its own special place in Jets hell.

It is my understanding that teams like all business keep their records for years. Scouts can not hide, they turn reports on players into the team and hopefully the team keeps them for years and uses them to grade his work. It is not just the players that the jets chose, the guy probably scouted 50 players with some intensity. Those 50 players with grades are in or out of the league and thier performance can be equated to the grade assigned. A guy could have ranked 40 guys spot on but the two guys the jets drafted he was wrong on. Bad for the jets that they got the wrong end of the stick but the guy can show that he was right much more than wrong.

this is how I would imagine it is also, just a guess

Amazing to me that Bradway isn't more of a focal point. After all, aside from Woody, he really is the common thread. GM from 2001 to 2006 and Grand Poobah of personnel and scouting since then. 14 years of ineptitude deserves its own special place in Jets hell.

problem is it's probably the best 14 year span the jets have ever had. Sad

It is my understanding that teams like all business keep their records for years.  Scouts can not hide, they turn reports on players into the team and hopefully the team keeps them for years and uses them to grade his work. It is not just the players that the jets chose, the guy probably scouted 50 players with some intensity. Those 50 players with grades are in or out of the league and thier performance can be equated to the grade assigned.  A guy could have ranked 40 guys spot on but the two  guys the jets drafted he was wrong on. Bad for the jets that they got the wrong end of the stick but the guy can show that he was right much more than wrong. 

You have a problem with the likes of Gholston, D-Fat, Doug Jolley, Miliner, Hill, Wilson,etc., etc., etc...?

The only person to survive this should be Karl Dunbar. 

The only person to survive this should be Karl Dunbar.

why does he get a pass? Not saying he shouldn't or should cause really I don't know but everyone says this guy should get a pass, he has nothing but first rounders to coach up, now that's not his fault and his unit is the only strength of this team and I have no problem with him staying but I don't see what he did that was so great except do what he was supposed to

why does he get a pass? Not saying he shouldn't or should cause really I don't know but everyone says this guy should get a pass, he has nothing but first rounders to coach up, now that's not his fault and his unit is the only strength of this team and I have no problem with him staying but I don't see what he did that was so great except do what he was supposed to

Damon Harrison was an undrafted free agent. Leger Douzable was an undrafted Free agent when he entered the league. Kendrick Ellis was a 3rd round pick . This is just his success here in NY, he did the same thing in Minnesota as well. This guy gets the job done so he stays. I personally would like him to be promoted because of it. 

Think Douzable and Snacks to start. He was highly regarded in Minny before coming here.

Amazing to me that Bradway isn't more of a focal point.  After all, aside from Woody, he really is the common thread.  GM from 2001 to 2006 and  Grand Poobah of personnel  and scouting since then.  14 years of ineptitude deserves its own special place in Jets hell.

I was listening to the Jets blog podcast yesterday and I heard for yet another time that there were guys what Bradway wanted and the GM's decided to go another direction. Bradway wanted Alshon Jeffery and they drafted Hill. I heard that Bradway was literally banging the table to draft Russell Wilson and the GM passed. That really sucks for Bradway if true, but it seems like he'll be biting the dust either way. 

You have a problem with the likes of Gholston, D-Fat, Doug Jolley, Miliner, Hill, Wilson,etc., etc., etc...?

The only issue I had with Millner being drafted so high was that he could not stay healthy during a 12 game college season, the chances on him being healthy for 20 games a year was a red flag to me.  While he never missed entire games, he was often not able to practice during the week, his skill set allowed him to perform at that level without practice but against pros I had doubts.  

Dfat was stupid as his knees were already shot with arthritis in college. I thought Wilson was a good choice at the time.

Damon Harrison was an undrafted free agent. Leger Douzable was an undrafted Free agent when he entered the league. Kendrick Ellis was a 3rd round pick . This is just his success here in NY, he did the same thing in Minnesota as well. This guy gets the job done so he stays. I personally would like him to be promoted because of it

agreed, Dunbar has had success in Minny also and while he had a 3- 1st rd picks in NY they all improved except for Coples who has seemed to plateaued. He has done a fine job and will be in demand if his contract is up this year.

I was listening to the Jets blog podcast yesterday and I heard for yet another time that there were guys what Bradway wanted and the GM's decided to go another direction. Bradway wanted Alshon Jeffery and they drafted Hill. I heard that Bradway was literally banging the table to draft Russell Wilson and the GM passed. That really sucks for Bradway if true, but it seems like he'll be biting the dust either way. 

Doesn't matter imagine what Rex would have done with these talented offensive players - oh yeah that's right nothing. Early in his career when Sanchez was pretty effective on the run and out of the pocket, Rex essentially told him not to run. Imagine Wilson as a pocket QB ??  Its not all Rex's fault but a large reason why the Jets O has been dismal for the past 6 years is because of the HC who wants to play ultra conservative on O , yet he wants to and to  his detriment at times plays super agressive on D.

Doesn't matter imagine what Rex would have done with these talented offensive players - oh yeah that's right nothing. Early in his career when Sanchez was pretty effective on the run and out of the pocket, Rex essentially told him not to run. Imagine Wilson as a pocket QB ??  Its not all Rex's fault but a large reason why the Jets O has been dismal for the past 6 years is because of the HC who wants to play ultra conservative on O , yet he wants to and to  his detriment at times plays super agressive on D.

How did this change from Bradway to Rex really? If you followed me and my feelings on Rex at this point then you would know that everything you just said to me is like preaching to the choir. Though I would agree that Rex would have found a way to make Jeffery and Wilson look like busts, in reality the topic was Bradway. 

How did this change from Bradway to Rex really? If you followed me and my feelings on Rex at this point then you would know that everything you just said to me is like preaching to the choir. Though I would agree that Rex would have found a way to make Jeffery and Wilson look like busts, in reality the topic was Bradway. 

I agree with you , perhaps Bradway and Idzik aren't as big of an issue as they appear. Player development and utilization plays just as much a role in whether a drafted college kid blossoms in the pros.

33 WRs were chosen in the 2014 NFL draft the WRs the Jets drafted were the only ones not to catch a pass this season. Idzik needs to be fired on that alone. 

This is the thinking that I have a problem with as a fan.  WR's got injured, it happens.

Plus he drafted a 2nd round TE, an offensive weapon that had a relatively good season.

I think half the Jets scouting department is excellent actually.  NFL teams basically have two parts to their scouting departments.  One part scouts college players for the upcoming draft, another scouts the waiver wire, other teams' practice squads, and off the street guys.  there's an overlap in the Free Agency scouting responsibilities.  With the lack of drafted talent, that second group (usually younger, up-and-coming scouts) has done a solid job of keeping this team somewhat competitive (game-to-game, obviously the record is awful).  Between CB, RB, and WR alone, they've had their work cut out for them over the past year.  I say we decapitate and promote.  Let the younger guys step in and use their energy and desire to climb the ranks fuel the next few drafts.  Bradway and his ilk have just lost touch.  We could have followed Kiper's board and done better with no scouting department at all last year.

I think half the Jets scouting department is excellent actually. NFL teams basically have two parts to their scouting departments. One part scouts college players for the upcoming draft, another scouts the waiver wire, other teams' practice squads, and off the street guys. there's an overlap in the Free Agency scouting responsibilities. With the lack of drafted talent, that second group (usually younger, up-and-coming scouts) has done a solid job of keeping this team somewhat competitive (game-to-game, obviously the record is awful). Between CB, RB, and WR alone, they've had their work cut out for them over the past year. I say we decapitate and promote. Let the younger guys step in and use their energy and desire to climb the ranks fuel the next few drafts. Bradway and his ilk have just lost touch. We could have followed Kiper's board and done better with no scouting department at all last year.

Hmmm.

Posted: Apr 24, 2013

Jeff Bauer Ready for 1st Draft as Director

In his 12th Season with the Jets, Former Iowa State Safety Steps Into a New Role

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jeff-Bauer-Ready-for-1st-Draft-as-Director/6e843c93-267d-4a8e-a965-db20566af9bc

I knew he was adamant about drafting Russell Wilson. I didn't know about Alshon. This organization is just terrible. Stupid people, poor leadership, poor communication, no accountability, lack of trust and direction... etc, etc...

I knew he was adamant about drafting Russell Wilson. I didn't know about Alshon. This organization is just terrible. Stupid people, poor leadership, poor communication, no accountability, lack of trust and direction... etc, etc...

Yeah, seems like the only other person in the world besides myself that could care less about Alshon's "fat pictures" was Bradway. F'ing sucks to be a Jets fan. 

Archived