2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Adam Rubin, ESPN Staff Writer
    Close
    • Adam Rubin has covered the Mets since 2003. He's a graduate of Mepham High School on Long Island and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. He joined ESPNNewYork after spending 10 years at the New York Daily News.

NEW YORK -- The New York Mets sit at 47-42 at the All-Star break. They are two games behind the Washington Nationals in the NL East and one game behind the Chicago Cubs for the second wild-card slot.

Here are five questions that will be resolved during the second half:

1. Will general manager Sandy Alderson awaken?

Even if there are limited sellers across MLB, the likelihood is the Mets will do something before July 31. This front office has never been inclined to make moves for appearance sake alone, and won’t do so in the next two weeks. But given the lack of strength of the bench, it seems there will be the ability to make some kind of move, even modest, as an upgrade.

Despite David Wright's return dragging along, acquiring a straight third baseman doesn't make a ton of sense, since it basically commits Wilmer Flores returning to shortstop and complicates things once Wright is back. Instead, look for something more along the lines of a versatile player (a Ben Zobrist type), shortstop or bench help. And don't count on a big splash, such as Troy Tulowitzki or Starlin Castro. After all, the Mets are not parting with any of their core young starting pitchers. Also, don’t look for an outfielder such as Justin Upton. The Mets do not feel it is a wise use of resources to use their chips on an outfield rental.

2. Is the captain going to return in 2015?

The Mets aren't resigned to Wright missing the remainder of the season, but certainly given the required ramp-up time once he's cleared for baseball activity, the clock is ticking. Barring a setback, Wright may need as little as three weeks to get ready for major league play. But he first has to be cleared for baseball activity, which hasn’t happened yet.

There is more positive news on Travis d'Arnaud (elbow), who is moving closer to minor league rehab games.

3. Will the top position-player prospect debut?

The Mets have done a good job of not calling up their prospects too soon, and that won't change with Double-A Binghamton left fielder Michael Conforto. So he will not appear in the majors anytime soon. In fact, it is actually unlikely the 2014 first-round pick gets called up this season at all.

Conforto does not need to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason. The natural timing for his debut is sometime next season, given Michael Cuddyer will be in the final season of his two-year deal.

4. Five- or six-man rotation?

The Mets committed to a six-man rotation once Steven Matz arrived in the majors. Now, though, Matz is on the shelf for at least a month with a lat strain. So do the Mets revert to a five-man rotation? Or do they dilute the rotation by using, for instance, Logan Verrett or Dillon Gee? The five-man scenario might mean young pitchers hitting team-imposed innings caps in September. Apparently, there is not yet a resolution about the direction out of the break. Still, it seems far more prudent to have Noah Syndergaard starting Game 6 of the second half, the series finale in D.C., as opposed to the sixth starter.

5. Will the Mets make the playoffs?

The Mets have endured six straight losing seasons, tied with the Houston Astros for the longest active streak in the majors. At this point, it would be a disappointment if both of those streaks did not end. Still, it seems unlikely the Nationals will continue to stumble. So the best-case scenario for the Mets may be the wild-card game. The Mets are unlikely to unseat the Pittsburgh Pirates (53-35), so it is basically a competition with the Cubs (47-40) and San Francisco Giants (46-43) for one wild-card slot. Is it possible? Sure. But it will be a challenge, especially without some outside help arriving soon.

Flat out, Cuddyer has not lived up to his billing. He was known as a clutch bat who would come through in big spots. He has not delivered that for the Mets. I still believe he was a worthwhile gamble for what they paid for him. Hopefully, he can turn it around.

That said, I am in favor of getting a bat that can help this team, if the price is fair.

You're kinda making him out to be Jeter...he's not...He's a career .280 hitter, that's not really great. Average about 55 RBI/season per my calculations from his ESPN Stat sheet....had a couple years he hit over .300 in Colorado sandwiched between Tulo and Helton...5 years younger than Helton who is career .316 hitter...

What I meant about my RISP meaning changing the other day is that we don't get on base much as a club....why we would pay a premium for someone who is above avg in RISP, I don't understand.

I don't know if you guys heard me say this yet but I can't stand Sandy

Smoltz coming out today and saying deGromm/Dark Knight/Thor is a better young trio than him, Maddux, and Glavine were.

Quick, trade them all for 50 cents on the dollar because the Daily News is complaining and the Mets twitterverse is composed of pussies.

That single WS they won in his 10+ year tenure was magical

Have to avoid this post all star game free fall- especially since I am going next Sunday to see them- hah

Maybe when you're sitting in your 1%er Wall Street luxury box seats sipping on Chardonnay, you can flip Fred a cool $5 mil so we can afford a shortstop, Frank.

Maybe when you're sitting in your 1%er Wall Street luxury box seats sipping on Chardonnay, you can flip Fred a cool $5 mil so we can afford a shortstop, Frank.

Wilpon will not spend on any upgrade as we know- sad- and merlot for me.

From mlbtraderumors.com:

If third baseman David Wright doesn’t look like himself when he comes back or if he doesn’t come back at all in 2015, the Mets will give some thoughts to trading him for a pair of hitters.  One of those players, Cafardo writes, would likely be a shortstop.  There’s currently a feeling in the organization that the Mets will make a move for a hitter in the coming days with pitcher Jonathan Niese being the outgoing asset.

Not sure what we could get for Wright, coming off of the injury shortened season.  He will be 33 at the start of next season and this will be the 3rd season in the last 5 where he misses a significant portion of the season.

On the possibility of moving Niese, I would hope that means Matz will not be out too long.  The way Colon is pitching, Niese will be hard to replace in the rotation, but I would not be opposed to moving him for a bat as long as its not for a 2 month rental..

Any word on when Montero may be back -- heard that he was throwing again earlier this month.

From mlbtraderumors.com:

Not sure what we could get for Wright, coming off of the injury shortened season. He will be 33 at the start of next season and this will be the 3rd season in the last 5 where he misses a significant portion of the season.

On the possibility of moving Niese, I would hope that means Matz will not be out too long. The way Colon is pitching, Niese will be hard to replace in the rotation, but I would not be opposed to moving him for a bat as long as its not for a 2 month rental..

Any word on when Montero may be back -- heard that he was throwing again earlier this month.

The idea of trying to move a crippled Wright is so absurd that I can't even wrap my head around it. That's how you know it's a Mets rumor.

As for Neise, they'd be trading him for some serious low-level trash unless he's part of a package, or if it's for Aramis Ramirez with Milwaukee picking up 9/10ths of his contract.

Looks like it might be another long game today.  Niese looking good early, but not feeling good about this one at all at this point.

We came into the game at 2 for 36 with RISP over the last 7 games.  Another 0 for 4 so far today.  Not exactly a recipe for success.

The Mets view prospects such as center fielder Brandon Nimmo, shortstop Gavin Cecchini, and right-hander Michael Fulmer as trade chips in a possible deal, Mike Puma of the New York Post tweets. Meanwhile, Puma also hears that the Mets are not anxious to move Jon Niese since they may need his innings going forward. Marc Carig of Newsday (on Twitter) hears that the Mets feel they have enough talent in the system to get help at the deadline.

You would think that our resident batting champ Cuddyer would have made an appearance by now.

He started today.  Went 1-3 and was removed in the 8th on the double switch when Niese came out of the game.

Followed on Gamecast today: Is there any particular reason why Collins didn't have Flores bunt in the 16th? That seemed pretty obvious. Tight game, no outs, two runners on, and Flores sucks. Easy call for a bunt there, no?

Hernandez buried him for it, and he's been a big Collins guy.

Followed on Gamecast today: Is there any particular reason why Collins didn't have Flores bunt in the 16th? That seemed pretty obvious. Tight game, no outs, two runners on, and Flores sucks. Easy call for a bunt there, no?

No logical reason.  At least he learned his lesson by the 18th - put some pressure on the defense..  Small ball works and this team needs to manufacture runs.  I loved the suicide squeeze to score teh 2nd run.

After sitting through nearly 6 hours of painful baseball, at least they pulled it out.  Now on to DC and Harvey and deGrom.

ICYMI, Mets trade rumors from July 20

3:30 pm: The Mets, Royals, Nationals, Cubs, Yankees and Pirates are all in the mix to acquire A’s infielder Ben Zobrist, sources told Peter Gammons (July 20, 2:40 pm).

3:06 pm: The Angels are not interested in Padres OF Justin Upton, because they do not want to pay such a high price for a rental player, according to MLB Network Radio’s Jim Bowden (July 20, 3:o6 pm). Last week, CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman said the Mets are targeting Upton and Brewers OF Carlos Gomez, as Sandy Alderson is aiming high in his pursuit of an outfield bat (July 17, 2015).

12:51 pm: The Mets are looking to trade for someone that can play shortstop and third base, such as Zobrist, according to NY Post reporter Joel Sherman (July 20, 12:51 pm).

12:50 pm: The Mets prefer a left-handed hitting center fielder, such as Brewers OF Gerardo Parra, even though they could realistically acquire OF Ryan Raburn from the Indians for minor league infielders Gavin Cecchini or Matt Reynolds, according to Sherman (July 20, 12:50).

To read more

Archived