Eric Mangini aiming to create 'confusion' with 49ers' D

BurnleyJet

So Mangini wanted no part of Favre until he convinced him to accept the trade to the Jets. Got it.

Look at the way Mangini approached things-he was an "intangible type of leadership" style coach in the first place. Everything that Favre was, would rub Mangini the wrong way. Mangini does not build with "me first" type of guys.

That said, Mangini is no idiot, and realized who was signing his checks. If Woody and Tannenbaum thought that Favre was the way to go for the Jets, Mangini would be stupid to force another direction. So you get on board. Most likely against his own better judgement.

Thus, these stories that came out at the end of that season. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the way Mangini approached things-he was an "intangible type of leadership" style coach in the first place. Everything that Favre was, would rub Mangini the wrong way. Mangini does not build with "me first" type of guys.

That said, Mangini is no idiot, and realized who was signing his checks. If Woody and Tannenbaum thought that Favre was the way to go for the Jets, Mangini would be stupid to force another direction. So you get on board. Most likely against his own better judgement.

Thus, these stories that came out at the end of that season. 

I got fired.  It wasn't my fault.  That is all that story was.  It is no different than Rex blaming a lack of CBs or Bradway pounding the table.  You only have to convince one out of 32 to get another job.  Tom Gamble should learn the lesson.

I had to look.  The Seahawks were pretty bad against the run, but they were the worst in the NFL against the pass.

Actually, the main problem with that theory is that Favre was still "healthy" when they played the Pats in NE.  Oh, and the Jets did win.  In OT after they spit up a seven point lead with the ball and 2 minutes left.

Some of us remember that Thursday night game. And that the game put the jets into 1st place

Oh..did you mean they "were" in first place?  I apologize, I thought you'd said "we're in first place" as in hypothetically.  Yes, prior to the defense completely collapsing down the stretch, the Jets looked good.  I even took a drive to a bookie the day before the Tenn game and doubled the bet I'd made earlier in the season for the Jets to win the SB. It was a fun ten weeks.

Spell check, yes meant they were in first place after that game in NE on Thursday night

Rex brought in Jim Leonhard and Bart Scott.  Both nice players in thweir own right, but more importantly they played positions that Rex needed leadership and knowledge to run his D.  Rex and his big talk bluster certainly motivated guys, especially coming away from Mangini's personality.  And the players certainly thrived on his aggression.  But eventually it wore off and became nothing more than words.  But the talent Rex was playing with mostly came from Mangini's team.  And Mangini's team was put together by him, that's plain to see.  Tannenbaum's #1 fault is his lack of knowledge on the player evaluation side of things, and he defers way too much to his coach when it comes time to pick a player.  So it stands to reason all the players that were brought in under Mangini were heavily influenced by him, much as the crap that's been brought in during Rex's tenure were Rex's guys.  Mangini is no super great coach don't get me wrong.  He needs an overhaul on his philosphy and his player handling without a doubt.  But the guy knows football through andf through and has the talent to be a good coach.

Most of the starters post-Mangini were not from acquisitions made during the Mangini years. I don't know why people still think so, or why if it's a player Mangini inherited then that player's acquisition is somehow credited to the Mangenius as well.  If I remember right, something like 8 of 22 starters in 2009 were acquired during the 2006-2008 Mangini seasons, with the key QB position not being among them, and one (Jones) of the starters did the team no favors in the 2009 playoffs (we hardly got to the championship game because of his play).

From Kimo von Oelhoffen to Anthony Clement to Adrien Clarke to the boar hunter to Andre Dyson to Bubba Franks to Vernon Gholston, among many others, we whiffed a LOT during those years. The one player he supposedly didn't want was Favre, who (for all his faults) greatly aided in that 9-win total. Two victories when the defense let up >30 points would have been losses in his absence if we'd stuck with Clemens/Pennington as he wanted to. 

All I'm saying is nowhere near "most" of the 2009+ starters were acquired during the Mangini years. He shouldn't get any more credit for inheriting players than his successor.

Whatever. There's a new Jets staff here. Mangini is with the 9ers and Ryan with the Bills. They should both lose all 16 games this year.

Bradway was the one who was all over Revis from beginning to end. And once Revis ran at Pitt's pro day the debate between the two ended league wide.

Is there anything that would actually support this theory? Because it sounds completely made up and unlike Bradway. This is the same Bradway we are so happy to have gotten rid of finally because of his horrible drafts.

Did Bradway also advise Mangini during his time with the Browns to draft Joe Haden? Let's just say that every bad pick was made by Mangini and the ones that turned out to be good were Bradway picks. Kyle Wilson was a typical Mangini pick as well, when he wasn't even with us any more. He forced Bradway from Cleveland out to pick Wilson. Revis was a Mangini pick. I think you're mixing him up with Gholston. I'm sure Bradway was all in on Gholston from start to finish.

Is there anything that would actually support this theory? Because it sounds completely made up, to disparage Mangini.

Sigh...oh little boy. You know, before you decide to go on a really dumb, long-winded rant, you may want to use that Google machine that you're sitting in front of.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=terry+bradway+darrelle+revis

Terry Bradway, the Jets director of player personnel, was stranded at the snowed-in Pittsburgh Airport after the workout but couldn’t wait to get back to the Jets brass for his evaluation. So, he called general manager Mike Tannenbaum right away.

“Mike,” Bradway told him, “We have no shot at this guy at 25. No way.”

Bradway and Coyle were buddies from way back, graduate assistants at the University of Cincinnati who remained close through the years. But the friends differed slightly in their cornerback rankings entering the 2007 draft. (Revis, Hall and Aaron Ross of Texas were the consensus Top 3 cornerbacks).

“We liked Revis, Hall and Ross in that order,” Bradway said.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/01/cincinnati_bengals_might_have.html

Bradway was credited with pushing Tannenbaum to move up to draft Darrelle Revis in 2007.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/16/jets-gm-starts-cleaning-house-starting-with-unpopular-bradway/

Bradway was also part of the Jets’ strong 2006 and 2007 drafts that netted Nick Mangold, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Darrelle Revis and David Harris, and was a particularly strong advocate for Revis.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/new-jets-gm-cleans-house-fires-top-scouts-bradway-bauer-article-1.2082064

And since you're such a big fan of teh twitter

Manish Mehta Verified account @MMehtaNYDN

Terry Bradway gets a lot of criticism from Jets fans, but he was the one who pushed to draft Darrelle Revis after witnessing a workout #nyj

So this entire thing is based on Bradway claiming he was responsible for drafting a good player. That clears things up. Thanks.

Tannenbaum verified it too. But please, do keep going with this.

https://books.google.com/books?id=8VkNb4F03TgC&pg=PT84&lpg=PT84&dq=terry+bradway+darrelle+revis&source=bl&ots=DBaYYyhki0&sig=TdjWBqbrSoIcBkSCtXWr6eYdK50&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xbNmVcvcC9LmoAT8kIHACA&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=terry%20bradway%20darrelle%20revis&f=false

So this entire thing is based on Bradway claiming he was responsible for drafting a good player. That clears things up. Thanks.

A more effective rebuttal might be to find something -anything- somewhere that supports your so far unsubstantiated belief that Mangini was the man behind the Revis pick.

A more effective rebuttal might be to find something -anything- somewhere that supports your so far unsubstantiated belief that Mangini was the man behind the Revis pick.

Wow...I always thought Mangini got too much credit for the players that were brought in and that was before I knew he wasn't in on the Revis pick. 

What's most interesting is that he detailed his love for the author and book where Bradway's role in the Revis pick was covered. Even posted a review and an excerpt.

He also accused Mangini and Tannenbaum of conspiring behind his back to board him up with rookies during training camp, then he publically chastised their relationship and forced the team to trade him.

So basically he knew what he was doing but was a jerk? Lots of people like that out there...

Archived