Jets Chant

Ghost

Didn't Ed still attend all of the games just not do the chant anymore? Exit strategy? If he really did come back I doubt he'd care doing the chant. Its about a total of 5 minutes per game you make it seem like some huge burden. I think you're overthinking this and care too much. 

Exit strategy from the public eye.  If he comes back and attempts the chant again and then vanishes the next game it'll make him look worse than he does right now.  Very hard to do, but that's the abyss he's looking at.

If he's smart, he'll lie low, stick to his "I'm out" Thanksgiving guns, and let the silly chant die it's unceremonious death.  Remember, this wasn't something Ed took away from us; it's something we took away from him.

SAR I

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The issue is that we're the only team in professional sports that has a mascot that isn't stuffed and can actually speak.  As such, this isn't something we can just ignore.  We are forced to pay attention.  Pat The Patriot knows when to STFU. 

Firefraud acts like he represents the typical Jets fan and he doesn't.  His chant doesn't get traction, no one pays attention, it's a like those who try to kickstart The Wave back into relevance; it's just embarrassing.

SAR I

No one's forced to do anything at a Jet's game.  One can take a 60 minute nap if one wanted to.

Bring a couple of eye patches and some ear plugs.  It will temper the embarrassment.

I still can not understand why any fan would be upset that someone wants to get the crowd going and more into it- to provide us with home field advantage- I never had a problem with Ed.

If that's all Ed wanted to do-  get the crowd going-  then that would have been fine in 2001, 2005, 2010 or any other year right up until this very day.

But that's NOT the case.

Ed fancies himself as some sort of representative of the "common Jets fan" and it's a fraud.  Other pro teams have stuffed mascots because they don't open their mouths and alienate the teams and the fans that they represent.  Remember the West Side Stadium?  "Keep Your Word Woody"  "You Lied Woody".  That was nice.  Remember the walkoff on Thanksgiving when every Jets fan realized that the dream of the Ryan Jets moving past the AFC Finals was dead?  Awesome.  Flipper knew when to keep his head underwater.  Pat The Patriot is always smiling.  Fireman Ed is a grumpy old man with an agenda.  Enough.

SAR I

Whoa, wait, I may need more time to rent a bi-plane, set up a website, set up a petition, get a podcast going, reach out to local media, hire a social media coach, and print t-shirts.  Might have to wait to the Philly game so I can get all the pieces in place and monetize this.

SAR I

If you need a social media coach I can send you my rates. I can't help with anything else other than the podcast though lol.

If that's all Ed wanted to do-  get the crowd going-  then that would have been fine in 2001, 2005, 2010 or any other year right up until this very day.

But that's NOT the case.

Ed fancies himself as some sort of representative of the "common Jets fan" and it's a fraud.  Other pro teams have stuffed mascots because they don't open their mouths and alienate the teams and the fans that they represent.  Remember the West Side Stadium?  "Keep Your Word Woody"  "You Lied Woody".  That was nice.  Remember the walkoff on Thanksgiving when every Jets fan realized that the dream of the Ryan Jets moving past the AFC Finals was dead?  Awesome.  Flipper knew when to keep his head underwater.  Pat The Patriot is always smiling.  Fireman Ed is a grumpy old man with an agenda.  Enough.

SAR I

Yes when I read your posts about Ed, that is what I think. He is the grumpy one. Not.

The issue is that we're the only team in professional sports that has a mascot that isn't stuffed and can actually speak.  As such, this isn't something we can just ignore.  We are forced to pay attention.  Pat The Patriot knows when to STFU. 

Firefraud acts like he represents the typical Jets fan and he doesn't.  His chant doesn't get traction, no one pays attention, it's a like those who try to kickstart The Wave back into relevance; it's just embarrassing.

SAR I

Speaking of Mascots that are stuffed how about this one??

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong basically the drunken slob fans supported Ed and the new and improved PSL fans don't support Ed so with that being said we should turn Jets games into Giants games where fans sit reading books and most pay no attention to the actual game. 

Bottom line if you don't support Ed sit down and shut the hell up and let those fans that do join in on the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS chant the best in the NFL. 

You're wrong on many levels, but even if the PSL fans and the blue-collar drunkard fans loved Ed equally there's this:

In MetLife Stadium, the Jets PA people don't let the fans breathe.  There isn't a single moment of quiet between plays, during TV timeouts, or during halftime.  It is a non-stop bombardment of the eardrums with commercials, highlights, death metal music, and on and on.  In the old days, there was absolute quiet during a 3 minute TV timeout.  Ed would wait until there were 15 seconds left, he'd get us up, and the chant would be the only noise made.  It worked because 1) Ed had a quiet moment to do his buildup and 2) the fans weren't punch-drunk from all the audible barrage during every blessed pause in the action.

What's worse?  The reason we are so quiet during the action?  Because it's the only time we can hear ourselves think, the only time we can speak to the people right next to us 5" from our faces.  Point is, the stadium isn't conducive to Ed or spontaneous cheering.  It's pre-programmed by the PA team and it's wrong.

SAR I

No one's forced to do anything at a Jet's game.  One can take a 60 minute nap if one wanted to.

Bring a couple of eye patches and some ear plugs.  It will temper the embarrassment.

We don't mind the chant.  We mind Ed.

If someone else wants to make the chant happen again, someone who isn't grumpy and a known quitter, go for it, let's see what happens.

SAR I

If you need a social media coach I can send you my rates. I can't help with anything else other than the podcast though lol.

You're a good Jets supporter and you're in it for the fans.  You should lead the chant, at least it would be legit that way.

SAR I

You're a good Jets supporter and you're in it for the fans.  You should lead the chant, at least it would be legit that way.

SAR I

Ed has this one covered. I am not sure who will be next beyond him to lead the chant...I know it won't be me. Not my thing....I drop too many bad words during the game to be on the big screen.

I want to change it slightly.  Any chance you can have Ed walk up to 232a row 1 and lead an actual chant from there.  It would be a classic.  He used to go all over the stadium and lead the chants.  I know this stadium is a bit different but it would be classic.  Ed if you are reading this you should do it. 

Better yet would be to get a certain someone on the video board then he won't have a choice but to join in on the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS chant.

You're wrong on many levels, but even if the PSL fans and the blue-collar drunkard fans loved Ed equally there's this:

In MetLife Stadium, the Jets PA people don't let the fans breathe.  There isn't a single moment of quiet between plays, during TV timeouts, or during halftime.  It is a non-stop bombardment of the eardrums with commercials, highlights, death metal music, and on and on.  In the old days, there was absolute quiet during a 3 minute TV timeout.  Ed would wait until there were 15 seconds left, he'd get us up, and the chant would be the only noise made.  It worked because 1) Ed had a quiet moment to do his buildup and 2) the fans weren't punch-drunk from all the audible barrage during every blessed pause in the action.

What's worse?  The reason we are so quiet during the action?  Because it's the only time we can hear ourselves think, the only time we can speak to the people right next to us 5" from our faces.  Point is, the stadium isn't conducive to Ed or spontaneous cheering.  It's pre-programmed by the PA team and it's wrong.

SAR I

This does have some merit but the reason the stadium is quiet is because they suck. Plain and simple, this team has teased its fans with no sustained success. No QB, awful drafts, bad GM's and HC's.

The PSL's have diminished the fans who had tickets for generations that either sold their tickets to brokers or went for the tailgate first and the team second.

I somewhat regret buying 2 PSL's for the very reason many didn't. The team sucks!

We don't mind the chant.  We mind Ed.

If someone else wants to make the chant happen again, someone who isn't grumpy and a known quitter, go for it, let's see what happens.

SAR I

please don't use "we", you don't speak for me

start one yourself

This does have some merit but the reason the stadium is quiet is because they suck. Plain and simple, this team has teased its fans with no sustained success. No QB, awful drafts, bad GM's and HC's.

The PSL's have diminished the fans who had tickets for generations that either sold their tickets to brokers or went for the tailgate first and the team second.

I somewhat regret buying 2 PSL's for the very reason many didn't. The team sucks!

"Sucked" (past tense) is a more revelant description.

Come Sunday we are in first place with hope for this season.

Don't lose faith.  Otherwise you'll be labeled a quitter and a loser like Fireman Ed.

Tailgating was always family and friends fun it was part of the game day it wasn't first for me on any given game day we wouldn't have been there if the Jets weren't playing the PSLs have changed the fan base that attends the games. 

SAR I

i actually do agree with you for the most part on your gripes here.. best part about having season tickets and watching the game live was that you (for the most part) didn't have to watch commercials.. You went to the game and they would have some games on the screen during timeouts - which cup is the ball under - stuff like that.. now, it is a non-stop marketing machine…. remember when they renamed the redone the Heinz Red Zone? lol… people used to boo Heinz… Add in the music, the size of the stadium, the pc richards commercials.. ugh.. you really don't get a break. 

I want to change it slightly.  Any chance you can have Ed walk up to 232a row 1 and lead an actual chant from there.  It would be a classic.  He used to go all over the stadium and lead the chants.  I know this stadium is a bit different but it would be classic.  Ed if you are reading this you should do it. 

Not going to happen.

I'm tight with security and have the text number for reporting unruly and inappropriate behavior in my favorites, they'll be down there with a muzzle before the "E" gets out of his mouth.

SAR I

Not going to happen.

I'm tight with security and have the text number for reporting unruly and inappropriate behavior in my favorites, they'll be down there with a muzzle before the "E" gets out of his mouth.

SAR I

then just start one yourself

I'm sure the crowd will respond to your natural charisma

This argument over Fireman Ed is stupid, I can't believe I read this thread and felt compelled to comment. 

Sar I, your position on Ed is just your petulant opinion, ANY fan can decide to pull their support for their team for any reason, he had his reason, and it was a loud statement. You have no idea what he may have had to deal with when he was in the spotlight, you only have your opinion of what you may think it was like to walk in his shoes, but I'm sure you would only have been partly correct in your opinions. 

I will welcome him back and will be thrilled to see him lead the chant, it's sorely missed, and btw, I didn't sign the petition, I'm not a bottom feeder low trough fan,  and I can relate to him and his efforts. 

Semper Fi

This argument over Fireman Ed is stupid, I can't believe I read this thread and felt compelled to comment. 

Sar I, your position on Ed is just your petulant opinion, ANY fan can decide to pull their support for their team for any reason, he had his reason, and it was a loud statement. You have no idea what he may have had to deal with when he was in the spotlight, you only have your opinion of what you may think it was like to walk in his shoes, but I'm sure you would only have been partly correct in your opinions. 

I will welcome him back and will be thrilled to see him lead the chant, it's sorely missed, and btw, I didn't sign the petition, I'm not a bottom feeder low trough fan,  and I can relate to him and his efforts. 

Semper Fi

+1  

Tailgating was always family and friends fun it was part of the game day it wasn't first for me on any given game day we wouldn't have been there if the Jets weren't playing the PSLs have changed the fan base that attends the games. 

PSL fans aren't bad, we're just different.

Some get their jollies re-living high school with a sausage in their mouth, some like to act like mature adults and discuss vacation homes.  We all love the Jets.

SAR I

i actually do agree with you for the most part on your gripes here.. best part about having season tickets and watching the game live was that you (for the most part) didn't have to watch commercials.. You went to the game and they would have some games on the screen during timeouts - which cup is the ball under - stuff like that.. now, it is a non-stop marketing machine…. remember when they renamed the redone the Heinz Red Zone? lol… people used to boo Heinz… Add in the music, the size of the stadium, the pc richards commercials.. ugh.. you really don't get a break. 

I usually leave the game with an extremely sore throat.  Not from cheering the Jets mind you; from trying to speak to my son during TV timeouts.  Add in the Jets penchant for scoring 1 FG and 1 TD per home game and being in 40 third-down situations and we wind up cheering against the other team 30x more than we cheer for our own. 

It's exhausting.

SAR I

I usually leave the game with an extremely sore throat.  Not from cheering the Jets mind you; from trying to speak to my son during TV timeouts.  Add in the Jets penchant for scoring 1 FG and 1 TD per home game and being in 40 third-down situations and we wind up cheering against the other team 30x more than we cheer for our own. 

It's exhausting.

SAR I

Bring some Chloraseptic tablets next time.  They work really well and cost less than a glass of champagne.

Some of those jurors you will see are one step away from being a defendant.

Surprisingly, most of the jurors are your PSL-types.  There is a guy with anchors tattooed on both his arms so we've given him a corner of the room to himself.

There is one young mega-hottie here; I'll try to take some photos.

SAR I

Surprisingly, most of the jurors are your PSL-types.  There is a guy with anchors tattooed on both his arms so we've given him a corner of the room to himself.

There is one young mega-hottie here; I'll try to take some photos.

SAR I

creepy photos of a young girl in jury duty? This isn't gate D, Sar! It is a damn courtroom! lol

Archived