could jets show interest in Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick if available ? ? ?

kelly

The season is over, but the mailbag lives on. The New York Jets' question of the week :

@RichCimini what's the market for kaepernick? Brees available? #jetsmail

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kirk Cousins would be a dream to have. Big arm and aggressive.

Not going to happen but a guy can dream..... right Kelly?!

of course you can dream !.. oh , good luck with..

1947812_10202664572409475_264833704_n.jp

YOUR ^ ^  dream 32e  :wub:

Drew Bree's has a torn plantar fascia and a questionable shoulder. Kaepernick is a reclamation project that's better for a younger team. Kirk Cousins feasted on terrible teams down the stretch and looked bad against actual defenses, like against the Jets. He's a younger Fitz and not much upside there. He's going to stay in Washington. 

The season is over, but the mailbag lives on. The New York Jets' question of the week :

@RichCimini what's the market for kaepernick? Brees available? #jetsmail

I would definitely go for Kirk Cousins if available (though I would be shocked if he were).  I think I'd even take a chance on both Brees and Kap.  Though ideally I'd like to draft our next QB (and I have it in my mind that Goff is the guy but, admittedly,  I don't know that much about him).

Surely they should Fitzpatrick had an admirable season but not good enough to make the playoffs the goal here is to win the Super Bowl. 

I heard he threw 3 picks the last 3 times he had the ball.

If 10-6 was good enough to get to the playoffs, would you have a different perception of the player?

I;m wary of Brees' age and playing outdoors. 

If you go with him, you are definitely in win now mode, and I dont think Mac wants to go all the way

Exactly.   He is older, had some injuries, hasn't played up north outdoors, and is expensive. 

If 10-6 was good enough to get to the playoffs, would you have a different perception of the player?

Yes he did maybe and then how far we got would determine more. 

Neither Brees or Kaep or Cousins is winning a title with the Jets either. 

183338456-happy-businessman-looking-into

• 2 weeks later...

When the 49ers hired Chip Kelly to coach the team, many assumed that he’d want to try to make quarterback Colin Kaepernick into the star he was becoming under Jim Harbaugh. If that’s what Kelly plans to do, he has a strange way of making his intentions known.

Kelly has tried to deflect any and all comments about Kaepernick, citing the prohibition in the Collective Bargaining Agreement on communications with players before the start of the offseason program. Kelly twisted that rule to the point of implausibility in a Wednesday interview with CSN Bay Area.“I’m not allowed to comment about [Kaepernick] in terms of how he fits into any system because of the CBA rules of we’re not allowed to discuss football, I’m not allowed to say who fits where and how they fit,” Kelly said. “So I’m gonna wait until April 4 to discuss Kap and the offense.”

First of all, Kelly is allowed to talk to the media about players under contract with his team. Said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy via email, “Not an issue here for a coach to talk about his own players.” Likewise, the NFL Players Association pointed to no provision that would extend the rules limiting communication with players prior to the offseason program to communications about players prior to the offseason program.

Indeed, Kelly had plenty to say about quarterback Nick Foles when Kelly was introduced as the head coach of the Eagles.“In terms of Nick, I know him because we played against him [at Oregon],” Kelly said in January 2013. “I’m a huge fan of his. He’s tough. It’s an attribute that I think a lot of people don’t understand of how hard it is and what toughness means to the quarterback spot. To just be able to stand in the pocket and throw the football [is tough]. We hit him as many times as we could hit him and he just kept getting up and making plays. He completed a 13-yard pass left handed against us once and I remember just standing on the sideline shaking my head [saying], ‘What do we have to do to stop him?’ He’s a competitor, he’s accurate, so I’m excited about that.”

Making the situation with Kaepernick even more bizarre is that Kelly plans to not even begin the process of talking to or about his quarterback until April 4 — four days after the team has to decide whether to allow Kaepernick’s $11.9 million salary to become fully guaranteed or to trade or cut him.If Kelly doesn’t want Kaepernick, this is the smart way to play it, since it allows the 49ers to try to make a team that wants Kaepernick think he won’t be cut. If Kelly wants Kaepernick, it’s a weird way to go about making him feel welcome.Consider a new coach saying these same things about Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or Cam Newton or any other clear-cut franchise quarterback. If it’s a no-brainer that the quarterback is staying, the comment would be, “Of course he’s our quarterback. Why are you even asking that?”

Kelly’s remarks create the impression that Kaepernick won’t be the quarterback, and that Kelly and the 49ers are holding out hope that they can get something of value in return for the balance of his contract.

>   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/21/the-49ers-relationship-with-kaepernick-becomes-even-more-bizarre/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Sign any of the above, logically two Cousins isnt going anywhere, and youre parting with Fitz.  They only come to start, not sure theres enough of a upgrade if any.  Would rather go for a Glennon or Mettenberger and tell them theyre more than likely fighting for the backup spot today with an eye on a future here.  Allows us to move or dump Geno, have a backup with some experience and see if one of the three can develop

Kirk Cousins would be a dream to have. Big arm and aggressive.

Not going to happen but a guy can dream..... right Kelly?!

Cousins is not very good.  He is just OK.  My comparison is Marc Bulger. Maybe a few decent seasons but expecting lots more average and frustrating football than quality.  Regardless, Cousins is nowhere near worth whatever money he gets.

Cousins is not very good.  He is just OK.  My comparison is Marc Bulger. Maybe a few decent seasons but expecting lots more average and frustrating football than quality.  Regardless, Cousins is nowhere near worth whatever money he gets.

He looks like he's not bad from what I saw.  But if the goal is to win the superbowl he might not be good enough.  Going up against Rodgers kind of showed what he is.  Bulger seems like a good comparison to me. 

I don't believe the Jets will look at Capernick or Brees.

I don't believe Cousins will ever be available, nor would I trust signing him if he was (what would that say about what Washington thinks of him?)

I think the Jets will stick with Fitz as the #1 in 2016.  Petty the #2 for 2016 (#1 in waiting).  And a draft pick #3 to push/motivate Petty and be the alternative should Petty fail to develop.

Boring and disappointing to some of you, no doubt, but absolutely the right, smart, football decision.

I don't believe Cousins will ever be available, nor would I trust signing him if he was (what would that say about what Washington thinks of him?)

I think the Jets will stick with Fitz as the #1 in 2016.  Petty the #2 for 2016 (#1 in waiting).  And a draft pick #3 to push/motivate Petty and be the alternative should Petty fail to develop.

Boring and disappointing to some of you, no doubt, but absolutely the right, smart, football decision.

winner!

Everyones forgetting Enunwas back to back drops on 2nd and 3rd down. 1 would have been a first down and the other was a shovel pass he coulda crawled to the end zone. Not all on Fitz yeah he threw 3 picks but the 5 games before that he went 13tds-1int and had the whole team rally around him. Hes our qb

Everyones forgetting Enunwas back to back drops on 2nd and 3rd down. 1 would have been a first down and the other was a shovel pass he coulda crawled to the end zone. Not all on Fitz yeah he threw 3 picks but the 5 games before that he went 13tds-1int and had the whole team rally around him. Hes our qb

Oh, I like Fitz.  I was making fun of some one else who just kept saying that over and over.  1 pick was his fault.  1, he got hit.  1, there are 30 seconds in the game, you throw it up and hope for the best.

how is not looking into two SB QBs a right, smart football decision?  Can at least look.  

how is not looking into two SB QBs a right, smart football decision?  Can at least look.  

A. Neither has been "Super Bowl" quality in some time.  One is on the last legs of the dowside of his storied career.  The other....is a less talented RGIII.  And we all know where RGIII is today.

B. Cost vs. Talent.  Both would be expensive to aquire/pay.  Neither has the talent, right now, to warrant the cost.

C. Chasing other teams castoffs is no way to build a franchise.  Draft a QB every year, grow your own.  Super Bowls rarely come from signing other teams unwanted leftovers/old guys/castoffs.

B. Fitz outplayed both Brees and Kepernick in 2015.

D. Petty has vastly more upside, long term, than Brees.  More debatable vs. Kap, is you like QB's like Kap.  I don't.  And I don't think Mac does either.

E. Why sign failed Kap when we already have a failed Geno (similar tlanet/potential levels) under contract already.  If Mac thinks Kap is the guy, he may as well stick with Geno (he won't).

F. If the Jets look QB in 2016, it'll be a young, pocket passing player of low cost (i.e. a free agent of low-cost trade for a #2) or (more likely) a draft pick.

A. Neither has been "Super Bowl" quality in some time.  One is on the last legs of the dowside of his storied career.  The other....is a less talented RGIII.  And we all know where RGIII is today.

B. Cost vs. Talent.  Both would be expensive to aquire/pay.  Neither has the talent, right now, to warrant the cost.

C. Chasing other teams castoffs is no way to build a franchise.  Draft a QB every year, grow your own.  Super Bowls rarely come from signing other teams unwanted leftovers/old guys/castoffs.

B. Fitz outplayed both Brees and Kepernick in 2015.

D. Petty has vastly more upside, long term, than Brees.  More debatable vs. Kap, is you like QB's like Kap.  I don't.  And I don't think Mac does either.

E. Why sign failed Kap when we already have a failed Geno (similar tlanet/potential levels) under contract already.  If Mac thinks Kap is the guy, he may as well stick with Geno (he won't).

F. If the Jets look QB in 2016, it'll be a young, pocket passing player of low cost (i.e. a free agent of low-cost trade for a #2) or (more likely) a draft pick.

A.  What was Kaep SB? 3 whole years ago?  When was Fitzs SB year?  Playoff year? 

B.  Obviously I'm thinking Kaep being a cut.  He'll cost the price of the contract if they want him.

C. I agree.  But you've talked Fitz up plenty and he's like 6 teams castoff.  Kaep has off the charts physical talent.  

D.  We don't know what Pettys upside is.  Every drafted player can be said to have upside.  I haven't seen him play in a real game, have no idea what we have.  Just as I have no idea what Macc thinks about any of the QBs above.  Obviously if they're high on Petty or don't like Kaep, this is pointless, I agree. 

E.  There is no planet where you compare what Kaep was to Geno.

F.  I agree, they should draft a QB, think they will.  Again, no one they'll draft has ever played a game, won a game, made the playoffs, won a playoff game, won a championship game or played in a SB.  

Again, I said take a look. 

A.  What was Kaep SB? 3 whole years ago?  When was Fitzs SB year?  Playoff year? 

B.  Obviously I'm thinking Kaep being a cut.  He'll cost the price of the contract if they want him.

C. I agree.  But you've talked Fitz up plenty and he's like 6 teams castoff.  Kaep has off the charts physical talent.  

D.  We don't know what Pettys upside is.  Every drafted player can be said to have upside.  I haven't seen him play in a real game, have no idea what we have.  Just as I have no idea what Macc thinks about any of the QBs above.  

E.  There is no planet where you compare what Kaep was to Geno.

F.  I agree, they should draft a QB, think they will.  Again, no one they'll draft has ever played a game, won a game, made the playoffs, won a playoff game, won a championship game or played in a SB.  

Again, I said take a look. 

3 years ago in ancient history in the NFL.  Fitz was vastly better than Kap in 2015, for us, and is cheaper to keep than Kap is to aquire.

Kap being cut won;t stop truly QB-deficient teams from vastly overpaying for him, driving up aquisition costs.  Also, presuming he will be cut is just that, presumption.  Till then, cost to aquire involves a trade.

Yep, Fitz was a castoff, meaning we already have one castoff, we don't need two.  Now he's a Jet, despite how much some fans hate the idea.  He's the castoff who just broke a number of team records, is cheap to retain and a good locker room/team/mentor presence for the QB's we are/should be growing (like Petty).

No one knows on Petty but the team/coaches/Mac.  Their actions will speak volumes on that front this offseason.  Draft a QB int he 1st says Petty.....not so much.  Draft one in the 3-5th, Petty remains on-track t be #1 in 2017.  A trade of high-dollar FA......says our front Office is alot dumber than we think, chasing "win now" dreams instead of building a Steelers/Patriots style consistent winner.

Sure I can compare Kap and Geno, both sucked horribly the last time they saw an NFL field.

Glad we agree on a draft pick, because thats almost assuredly the route Mac plans to take in 2016.

I appreciate you said "take a look".  I'm telling you Mac won't.  

Sorry.

3 years ago in ancient history in the NFL.  Fitz was vastly better than Kap in 2015, for us, and is cheaper to keep than Kap is to aquire.

Kap being cut won;t stop truly QB-deficient teams from vastly overpaying for him, driving up aquisition costs.  Also, presuming he will be cut is just that, presumption.  Till then, cost to aquire involves a trade.

Yep, Fitz was a castoff, meaning we already have one castoff, we don't need two.  Now he's a Jet, despite how much some fans hate the idea.  He's the castoff who just broke a number of team records, is cheap to retain and a good locker room/team/mentor presence for the QB's we are/should be growing (like Petty).

No one knows on Petty but the team/coaches/Mac.  Their actions will speak volumes on that front this offseason.  Draft a QB int he 1st says Petty.....not so much.  Draft one in the 3-5th, Petty remains on-track t be #1 in 2017.  A trade of high-dollar FA......says our front Office is alot dumber than we think, chasing "win now" dreams instead of building a Steelers/Patriots style consistent winner.

Sure I can compare Kap and Geno, both sucked horribly the last time they saw an NFL field.

Glad we agree on a draft pick, because thats almost assuredly the route Mac plans to take in 2016.

I appreciate you said "take a look".  I'm telling you Mac won't.  

Sorry.

3 years ago he had some talent around him and a HC who knew how to use him.  Two years ago he had a stripped down roster and a HC who battling with ownership.  Ownership that destroyed any chance they had.  And last year he had I don't know what, changing the offense Kaep played well in to an offense he wasn't suited to play.  

And sorry, no one would ever compare the 3 seasons Kaep had to anything Geno accomplished here.  

3 years ago he had some talent around him and a HC who knew how to use him.  Two years ago he had a stripped down roster and a HC who battling with ownership.  Ownership that destroyed any chance they had.  And last year he had I don't know what, changing the offense Kaep played well in to an offense he wasn't suited to play.  

And sorry, no one would ever compare the 3 seasons Kaep had to anything Geno accomplished here.  

Same excuses people make for Geno, guess they're similar afterall.

And you think Kap is suited to the current Jets Offense?  /chuckle.

My friend, prepare yourself for disappointment, we're not looking at/trading for Kap.

Repost, but on-topic here:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan sounds confident he can re-sign pending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick. He said he will speak to Fitzpatrick's agent "in the very near future." Maccagnan added, "Hopefully, we'll be able to get something done here in the near future." He said everyone in the organization feels "very strongly" about keeping Fitzpatrick.

Same excuses people make for Geno, guess they're similar afterall.

And you think Kap is suited to the current Jets Offense?  /chuckle.

My friend, prepare yourself for disappointment, we're not looking at/trading for Kap.

which are the same excuses that were also made for Fitz.  We have different standards to judge when it's our guy.  We all do, just realize that

And unless I've said anything stronger than check them out not seeing any reason to be disappointed.  

Kirk Cousins is not happening, Kaepernik is going nowhere this offseason now that Chip Kelly is his head coach, Brees I think will make it to free agency but I think his cost is going to be a bit out of what we can afford to pay him. Our choices outside of the draft will be 1) resign Fitz 2) Trade for a Mettenburg or Glennon type guy 3) Take a shot on a lesser QB like a Flynn or a Rg3. My guess is they resign Fitz and probably pick up a #3 QB this offseason.

Archived