Larry Fitzgerald in Postseason

nyjunc

He hasn't been there that often but he's been mostly amazing when he has gotten there.

He has played 8 games

100+ rec yds in 5 of them

150+ in 3 of them

rec TDs in all but 2

totals: 53 recs, 912 yds, 17.2 avg, 10 TDs

if you averaged that over a 16 game season it would be: 106 recs, 1824 yds, 17.2 avg. 20 TDs

and he's doing this in postseason against what usually are the better Ds in the league.

in the games that were one score games these were his #s:

2008 30-24 WC win vs. Atl: 6-101, 1 TD

2008 32-25 Champ game win vs. Phi: 9-152, 3 TDs

2008 SB 27-23 loss to Pitt: 7-127, 2 TDs

2009 WC 51-45 vs. GB: 6-82, 2 TDs

2015 div rd 26-20 vs. GB: 8-176, 1 TD

I know #s don't tell the whole story but watching this man play in postseason he's been every bit as great as those #s indicate.

1st ballot HOFer and a top 5 receiver all-time, maybe even top 3.  I mean, who do you put above him?  Rice, Moss....and who else?  He's played with some truly sh*tty QB's over the years and still produced, and when he linked up with Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer, he's been dominant. 

I get the "It's never been easier to be a receiver due to the new rules" argument, but he's been playing since 2004, when the rule changes really hadn't taken effect yet.

He hasn't been there that often but he's been mostly amazing when he has gotten there.

He has played 8 games

100+ rec yds in 5 of them

150+ in 3 of them

rec TDs in all but 2

totals: 53 recs, 912 yds, 17.2 avg, 10 TDs

if you averaged that over a 16 game season it would be: 106 recs, 1824 yds, 17.2 avg. 20 TDs

and he's doing this in postseason against what usually are the better Ds in the league.

in the games that were one score games these were his #s:

2008 30-24 WC win vs. Atl: 6-101, 1 TD

2008 32-25 Champ game win vs. Phi: 9-152, 3 TDs

2008 SB 27-23 loss to Pitt: 7-127, 2 TDs

2009 WC 51-45 vs. GB: 6-82, 2 TDs

2015 div rd 26-20 vs. GB: 8-176, 1 TD

I know #s don't tell the whole story but watching this man play in postseason he's been every bit as great as those #s indicate.

Only one postseason fumble in '09. 

Many fans on JI didn't want him on the Jets; he's "too old, falling off a cliff"

1st ballot HOFer and a top 5 receiver all-time, maybe even top 3.  I mean, who do you put above him?  Rice, Moss....and who else?

Top 3?  Wow.  

This generation of WR's are hard to grade, IMO.  The rules have changed so much and the stats have spiked so high, its really hard to make these types of calls based on stats.

Is TO a first ballot HOF?  Torry Holt?  Marvin Harrison?  Hines Ward? Andre Johnson?  - were they better than Fitz? 

Is/was he ever better than Calvin Johnson?  Is he better than Antonio Brown? 

The WR position is a tough one in terms of the Hall these days.  Guys like Wes Welker, Steve Smith, Issac Bruce, Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin - are all in the top 20 receptions of all time.  I dont think any are  HOF'ers

Top 3?  Wow.  

This generation of WR's are hard to grade, IMO.  The rules have changed so much and the stats have spiked so high, its really hard to make these types of calls based on stats.

Is TO a first ballot HOF?  Torry Holt?  Marvin Harrison?  Hines Ward? Andre Johnson?  - were they better than Fitz? 

Is/was he ever better than Calvin Johnson? 

The WR position is a tough one in terms of the Hall these days.  Guys like Wes Welker, Steve Smith, Issac Bruce, Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin - are all in the top 20 receptions of all time.  I dont think any are  HOF'ers

yes TO is a first ballot guy(to me)

yes on Holt, harrison

Ward no

Johnson probably

were they better than fitz? I wouldn't put any above him

those last guys you mentioned, all good WRs but none belong in hall.

Top 3?  Wow.  

Is/was he ever better than Calvin Johnson?  Is he better than Antonio Brown? 

I would say Hines Ward and Andre Johnson are definitely below Fitz's level.  TO is a maybe.  Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison slightly below Fitz.  Fitz is special because of his consistency despite the QB position always being in flux.  A lot of those guys you mentioned were slightly more dependent on the QB's they played with.

Agreed on Welker and Mason.  Steve Smith is a HOFer in my eyes.  Bruce and Boldin maybe.

I would say Hines Ward and Andre Johnson are definitely below Fitz's level.  TO is a maybe.  Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison slightly below Fitz.  Fitz is special because of his consistency despite the QB position always being in flux.  A lot of those guys you mentioned were slightly more dependent on the QB's they played with.

Agreed on Welker and Mason.  Steve Smith is a HOFer in my eyes.  Bruce and Boldin maybe.

True but TO put up consistent #'s no matter the QB.  IMO he was better than Fitz.  Fitz is just an awesome person.  I think his likability makes him just more of an appealing from that respect...but we're splitting hairs.  Both were amazing.  I'd put Megatron over Fitz too, probably Andre Johnson too.  Hines Ward was pretty amazing even with terrible QB's too.  Some of his best year were playing with Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart.  Has Andre Johnson ever played with a good QB?  Like ever?  Put him with Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer, I think he's unstoppable in his prime.

The tough part of saying Fitz is top 3 or 5 for that mater is the generational thingy.  I just think of guys from the past and put them in this era, who knows how good they would be. Like Steve Largent for example or an Andre Reed or Lance Alworth or Bob Hayes or Don Maynard or Cris Carter.  What if Sterling Sharpe stayed healthy?  Herman Moore?

Hard for me to call someone a top 3 or 5 WR of all time when I dont ever think Fitz has ever been the best in the league at some point in his career. 

HOF?  duh.  1st ballot?  That's tough.  He's still got time though.

True but TO put up consistent #'s no matter the QB.  IMO he was better than Fitz.  Fitz is just an awesome person.  I think his likability makes him just more of an appealing from that respect...but we're splitting hairs.  Both were amazing.  I'd put Megatron over Fitz too, probably Andre Johnson too.  Hines Ward was pretty amazing even with terrible QB's too.  Some of his best year were playing with Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart.  Has Andre Johnson ever played with a good QB?  Like ever?  Put him with Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer, I think he's unstoppable in his prime.

The tough part of saying Fitz is top 3 or 5 for that mater is the generational thingy.  I just think of guys from the past and put them in this era, who knows how good they would be. Like Steve Largent for example or an Andre Reed or Lance Alworth or Bob Hayes or Don Maynard or Cris Carter.  What if Sterling Sharpe stayed healthy?  Herman Moore?

Hard for me to call someone a top 3 or 5 WR of all time when I dont ever think Fitz has ever been the best in the league at some point in his career. 

michael irvin, lynn swan, tim brown are all great as well although fitz is prolly better then brown and swan. irvin? i dono

Hines Ward, def below.  Andre Johnson, that's a tough one, it's not like he had tons to work with in Houston.  TO, his production was there, but look at what Fitz brings to the table as far as leadership, and look at TO.  I would not want TO on my team, no matter what.  Not want him.  I take a Fitz on my roster any day, true professional, just a great player in and out of the clubhouse. 

Fitz is 32, and stays in great shape. If he plays another  5 seasons or more he will rewrite the record book.

Sentiment this week is certainly it would be great to have a Broncos/cards SB since either FetusHead goes out on top or Fitz gets a ring. 

The best of all time thing is impossible.  How do I compare him to a WR I never even saw play?  I can only go back to the early to mid 80s.

michael irvin, lynn swan, tim brown are all great as well although fitz is prolly better then brown and swan. irvin? i dono

Swann doesn't belong anywhere near the Hall w/o a ticket but they have to put every steeler possible in the Hall.

in the Big Games Swann played huge

he did but and he had some incredible moments but HOFer?  he didn't play that long, was only all pro once, never top 5 in recs, one time top 5 in rec yds, only twice w/ rec TDs(led once).

his big thing was he had 2 great Super Bowls.  SB X and SB XIII, other than those 2 games he never did much else in postseason.  take nothing away from those great SBs including one where he won MVP but that doesn't make you a HOFer.

was just going to say Steve smith, they've actually started the exact same amount of regular season games (184) so they are a good comp for each other. Smith has more yards, but fitz has the edge in rec and TD 

fitz: 1018/13366/98

SSS:   961/13932/80

First of all, when was he available? And second, who said that? I don't recall that being the sentiment.

When he had a looming $23.6M cap hit and rumors began about what AZ might do.

Which JIers specifically? I dunno, the usual Hampurnese Phailipino loudspeakers. Your homies, not mine. Go check the 2014 archives. 

If only he had Sanchez throwing to him instead of those Jags Warner and Palmer imagine what he could do?

what does that have to do w/ this discussion? you are going to follow me and annoy me now b/c you don't understand what you are watching?

you made it about me by following me to this thread and posting about me.

1st you lambaste a poster for ignoring you and not debating you and now you have your jimmies rustled because someone is not ignoring you and is debating you?  Make up yet mind girl!

1st you lambaste a poster for ignoring you and not debating you and now you have your jimmies rustled because someone is not ignoring you and is debating you?  Make up yet mind girl!

there was no debate.  I spoke of the other poster who was gleefully crowing I was on ignore yet he was talking about.  as for you, I will debate you on anything but what does Mark sanchez have to do w/ this topic?

That's why these things are fun to debate.  There's no exact right answer.  Except Jerry Rice is the GOAT.  I don't think there's really an argument there.  I find it hard to take Randy Moss of the pedestal of # 2 either.  3-20 is very much up in the air.

he did but and he had some incredible moments but HOFer?  he didn't play that long, was only all pro once, never top 5 in recs, one time top 5 in rec yds, only twice w/ rec TDs(led once).

his big thing was he had 2 great Super Bowls.  SB X and SB XIII, other than those 2 games he never did much else in postseason.  take nothing away from those great SBs including one where he won MVP but that doesn't make you a HOFer.

let's see; helping a running team win 4 SB's in 8 years is just not good enough. The evidence out weighs your opinion. Swann HOF. Fitz HOF.

That's why these things are fun to debate.  There's no exact right answer.  Except Jerry Rice is the GOAT.  I don't think there's really an argument there.  I find it hard to take Randy Moss of the pedestal of # 2 either.  3-20 is very much up in the air.

No WR dominated like Don Hutson

let's see; helping a running team win 4 SB's in 8 years is just not good enough. The evidence out weighs your opinion. Swann HOF. Fitz HOF.

what evidence other than 2 great games in SBs?  Art Monk doesn't belong either, they let too many undeserving players in the Hall.  it should be for the absolute best of the best not good players that had a couple of great years or games.

No WR dominated like Don Hutson

what evidence other than 2 great games in SBs?  Art Monk doesn't belong either, they let too many undeserving players in the Hall.  it should be for the absolute best of the best not good players that had a couple of great years or games.

Jeezuz, if you ran the HOF it would be a one wall WOF with one name per category.

Jeezuz, if you ran the HOF it would be a one wall WOF with one name per category.

I am a very tough grader for the Hall, it would b the best of the best.  the truly greats not the very good/possibly greats.  only dominant players should be in the Hall.

Archived