Geno Turning Heads on and off Field in OTA’s

JetNation

Geno Smith

By Glenn Naughton

It’s an unfortunate set of circumstances for Geno Smith, really.  Here we are, months removed from the 2015 football season, anxiously awaiting the start of OTA’s to hear about which players are impressing and which one aren’t, then the on-field action gets overtaken by the business side of the game. At the moment, the headlines have been stolen by Eric Decker skipping the sessions to support Ryan Fitzpatrick’s contract situation and the Jets’ reported offer to the veteran QB.

Even still, OTA’s are under way and there have been a few noteworthy observations made by Jets scribes.

Smith has apparently looked sharp for the most part, while also stating his case for an opportunity to make a case for himself according to Kimerly Martin of Newsday.

One ongoing issue with Smith however, has been his maturity, or lack thereof.  Smith was being baited by one member of the press and took it.  Hook, line and sinker.  After a series of clearly uncomfortable questions regarding Ryan Fitzpatrick and his return, Smith stopped fielding questions from the reporter, repeatedly saying “next question” each time the reporter was in the middle of asking a follow-up question.  It was an uncomfortable situation, but one Smith should have anticipated and handled better.

It’s an antagonistic move from the reporter, but Smith has to realize that this is a a market that’s going to put him in those types of situations.  If he hasn’t gotten it after three years, will he ever get it?

After all, unless quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick re-signs before Smith’s next media session, he’s sure to be bombarded with questions regarding his top two targets, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker being absent from OTA’s, with Decker doing so in support of Fitzpatrick.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey also spoke to the media, trying to express the difficulty of evaluating players after just two days of OTA’s and taking a moment to  discuss the quarterback situation.  Just as he does with his offense, Gailey simplified many of his answers, especially when asked about who his quarterback will be, simply saying “I coach who comes through the door”.

Naturally, there was plenty of interest in second-round rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg who, according to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, spent his time on the second field with the other rookies while he learns the playbook and gets familiar with the pro game.

As far as how Geno Smith looked, there were several tweets from various reporters praising his accuracy throwing the deep ball, hitting Kenbrell Thompkins for a long score over Marcus Williams at one point, and all QB’s being on target for the most part which is to be expected while running drills in shorts.

One player who stands to benefit from the absence of Marshall and Decker is rookie wide receiver Charone Peake.  According to Dom Cosentino, he was the only offensive rookie getting a look on field #1 with the starters and primary back-ups.

Trying to help keep things in perspective, Kristian Dyer of USA Today reminded us that not much good press was heading Ryan Fitzpatrick’s way this time last year, and all he did was go out and throw more touchdowns than any other quarterback in the history of the franchise.

It’s still about as early as early can get in terms of football season starting, but that doesn’t mean teams and players aren’t already under the microscope.  It wouldn’t be the Jets if they weren’t doing something like trying to decide between a journeyman quarterback, and a three-year pro who has registered 43 turnovers in just 31 career games.

OTA’s resume on May 31st- June 2nd per ESPN.com

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
YRFcgxf2hPk

Click here to read the full story...

I'd love to believe in Geno, and he certainly has the physical talent to succeed, but I'm not sure he will ever get the mental part of the game. I'm hoping he does and shocks us all, although I would definitely be more comfortable with Fitz coming back for another year while Petty and Hackenberg develop. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

I'd love to believe in Geno, and he certainly has the physical talent to succeed, but I'm not sure he will ever get the mental part of the game. I'm hoping he does and shocks us all, although I would definitely be more comfortable with Fitz coming back for another year while Petty and Hackenberg develop. Time will tell.

Agreed.  When I heard he didn't handle some questions well, I figured they baited him and he came across as uncomfortable.  I didn't expect anything that blatant in terms of taking the bait during his very first session.  It's a reporter being kind of a schmuck, but doing his job...and Geno not handling it well.  If he was ever going to come across as a more mature player, that was the time to do it and he didn't.

I hate the  NY media any other beat writers for other teams usually tend to be fans and somewhat positive when they talk about their team. These parasites obviously hate the Jets and must be Giants fans but couldn't get a job working as a writer for them. It's like they want to see any player fail because as long as we are losing they have something to write about. If we are winning you don't hear sh*t. I swear if I ever see Dick C on Manish I will bitch slap them so ******* hard.  

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Agreed.  When I heard he didn't handle some questions well, I figured they baited him and he came across as uncomfortable.  I didn't expect anything that blatant in terms of taking the bait during his very first session.  It's a reporter being kind of a schmuck, but doing his job...and Geno not handling it well.  If he was ever going to come across as a more mature player, that was the time to do it and he didn't.

To be honest, I would have a hard time handling some of the knuckleheads that cover the Jets, so I can't kill him for getting pissed at them. At the same time, he definitely needs to play the media game and let that nonsense bounce off of him. Let his play do the talking.

Personally, I am more concerned with his on-field decision making skills, like the constant ill-advised throws and running ten yards backwards and out of bounds under pressure. He reverted to those ways a little in his one chance to play against the Raiders last season, but then again that game was a mess before he even got in and it was his only opportunity all year.

Let's hope he has learned how to handle himself on the field even if he still gets testy with reporters. 

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I hate the  NY media any other beat writers for other teams usually tend to be fans and somewhat positive when they talk about their team. These parasites obviously hate the Jets and must be Giants fans but couldn't get a job working as a writer for them. It's like they want to see any player fail because as long as we are losing they have something to write about. If we are winning you don't hear sh*t. I swear if I ever see Dick C on Manish I will bitch slap them so ******* hard.  

can't disagree with that sentiment at all ... definitely hear ya on that

Just now, jetfuel said:

To be honest, I would have a hard time handling some of the knuckleheads that cover the Jets, so I can't kill him for getting pissed at them. At the same time, he definitely needs to play the media game and let that nonsense bounce off of him. Let his play do the talking.

Personally, I am more concerned with his on-field decision making skills, like the constant ill-advised throws and running ten yards backwards and out of bounds under pressure. He reverted to those ways a little in his one chance to play against the Raiders last season, but then again that game was a mess before he even got in and it was his only opportunity all year.

Let's hope he has learned how to handle himself on the field even if he still gets testy with reporters. 

Exactly right...the writers can be intolerable, but as a leader, and with it being his first day speaking to the media since last season, he can't go in there unprepared and not knowing how to handle it.  Would've been much better if he'd expressed his frustration by just laughing at the guy and just keep saying he talks to Ryan and he's going to worry about the things he can control.  I'm sure it can be maddening, but it's not that hard to say/do the right things.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Exactly right...the writers can be intolerable, but as a leader, and with it being his first day speaking to the media since last season, he can't go in there unprepared and not knowing how to handle it.  Would've been much better if he'd expressed his frustration by just laughing at the guy and just keep saying he talks to Ryan and he's going to worry about the things he can control.  I'm sure it can be maddening, but it's not that hard to say/do the right things.

I don't disagree, but at the same time I am solely concerned with how he performs on the field and really don't care much about how he deals with the negative media coverage these reporters thrive on. And unfortunately, by showing them they got under his skin, they are sure to keep pushing those buttons. I do get it from a maturity and leadership standpoint, but how that translates onto the field is all that truly matters when it comes down to it as far as I'm concerned.

It's probably all going to be a moot point as I expect Fitz to be back with Geno carrying a clipboard around in his baseball cap, but we shall see what happens. 

10 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I had a chance to speak with some of the beat guys during TC last season and some of them do actually like the team.

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I had a chance to speak with some of the beat guys during TC last season and some of them do actually like the team.

Media is about getting ratings, not about popularity. This does not surprise me one bit, the NY media has recognized that they get better ratings when they are negative and troll the fan base. To me it says more about our fan base than the media.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I have a hard time distinguishing between the way we're told a player should respond when a reporting is being a pr1ck and the way most would respond to a pr1ck.  And of course how the press covers Geno's responses.  I'd bet right now if Luck was pushed the way Geno was no one would give him shlt for a response that was word for word what Geno dished out.  Only here can a reporter break balls and the Jet should eat it, if not become the story.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

You can like the team and its p,Akers etc on your private watch and still stir shlt to make a name for yourself.  Problem here is with a sea of media clowns you have to do something to get noticed.  And the history here says D Young on down to Cimini Manish shows that being a dick gets your name out here. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I have a hard time distinguishing between the way we're told a player should respond when a reporting is being a pr1ck and the way most would respond to a pr1ck.  And of course how the press covers Geno's responses.  I'd bet right now if Luck was pushed the way Geno was no one would give him shlt for a response that was word for word what Geno dished out.  Only here can a reporter break balls and the Jet should eat it. 

It's tough I know, believe me.  I've had several instances in my career in which I was being told I was wrong about something or had done something wrong only to be proven right later.  Even still, while it was happening, I had to be a grown up, nod my head and say "yes sir" or "yes ma'am".  It's tough, but doable when you realize it's the right thing to do.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think Dyer was good and a few others but Cimini, Mehta, and the fat guy with glasses, forgot his name, are intolerable. When I listen to sirius NFL and the beat writers come on and talk about their team they stick up for the team but when the NYJ writers get on the hosts and the journalist make a mockery out of the franchise. Pat Kirwan is usally pretty fair when it comes to the Jets. Would love to know who are the beat writers that are fans.

I'm not a huge fan of the kid but he really can't catch a break at this point. The media is ruthless and he can't even play well or the fan base just says it doesn't matter. I mean it's not untrue he's just in a lose-lose situation. If they give Fitz 12 million and he's outplayed by Geno as it was reported before he got himself hit I don't know that he'd get a shot. Honestly he might be off the roster when Fitz signs.

The Charone Peake news was more fascinating than anything else. Im glad that Geno is doing well and people are reporting it. It does suck that these reporters continue to talk about his maturity, or lack thereof. 

I dont get how you make a clear admittance regarding how a reporter attempted to bait him with his questions yet it's Geno that should have handled it better. Not taking anymore questions from a reporter not interested in Geno Smith, but "drama" seems to me like the mature thing to do. 

Maybe a fellow reporter should pull that guy to the side and let him know how immature it was to ask baited questions. 

Nice to hear Peak with the #1's though. Hopefully he takes Decker's spot. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Charone Peake news was more fascinating than anything else. 

Maybe a fellow reporter should pull that guy to the side and let him know how immature it was to ask baited questions. 

Nice to hear Peak with the #1's though.

Hopefully he takes Decker's spot. 

Agree wholeheartedly with these 3 comments.

The last line would be hilarious!!

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Charone Peake news was more fascinating than anything else. Im glad that Geno is doing well and people are reporting it. It does suck that these reporters continue to talk about his maturity, or lack thereof. 

I dont get how you make a clear admittance regarding how a reporter attempted to bait him with his questions yet it's Geno that should have handled it better. Not taking anymore questions from a reporter not interested in Geno Smith, but "drama" seems to me like the mature thing to do. 

Nice to hear Peak with the #1's though. Hopefully he takes Decker's spot. 

Why didn't they mention who the reporter was, or give any opinion of his behavior? Almost like they're protecting the poor victim.

These douche bags should have to answer questions about their articles. They might be more responsible if they were held accountable. 

17 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Why didn't they mention who the reporter was, or give any opinion of his behavior? Almost like they're protecting the poor victim.

These douche bags should have to answer questions about their articles. They might be more responsible if they were held accountable. 

The same group who can criticize and point the finger will do questionable things just for a story. Perfect example? Adam Schefter releasing private and confidential medical records of JPP, on of all places.....twitter! All because he didnt want Ian Rapoport and other journalist to get the "scoop first". You cant make this stuff up. These people are freaking savages and will do anything at the expense of the person being reported on. How mature and respectful is that?

One of the reasons why I feel like people need to lay off the kid and give him space to breathe. Its nothing but hypocrisy. At the end of the day this is football.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, Jet Nut said:

I have a hard time distinguishing between the way we're told a player should respond when a reporting is being a pr1ck and the way most would respond to a pr1ck.  And of course how the press covers Geno's responses.  I'd bet right now if Luck was pushed the way Geno was no one would give him shlt for a response that was word for word what Geno dished out.  Only here can a reporter break balls and the Jet should eat it, if not become the story.

The difference is Luck wouldn't REACT and would respond in a mature, forthright manner defending his position.  Geno reacts like an immature fool.  He doesn't appear to have the personality or social skills to adjust his egocentric tendencies.  When have you EVER heard anything negative uttered about Luck's interaction with the fans or media?  They are worlds apart. I just saw this interview and its appalling the FO allows this idiot to continue being on this team. He is not a leader and really is reminiscent of the Ryan Leaf School of the Vacuous.  Its coming.  An outright meltdown with a reporter before the season starts. 

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:01 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Geno is not a people person. Very stiff and seems to be unnatural when speaking to reporters and teammates.

No wonder the locker room loves Fitz.

But I'd rather go with the douche for $11m less and get Mo's deal worked out.

He's an insincere, disrespectful, egomaniac.  How Fitz dealt with this POS last year is beyond me.  I'm so sick of having this guy on my team it makes me want to puke.  Mac should have gotten rid of this turd as soon as he stepped foot into the GM role.  At least he is going out of his way to get Fitz signed and prepare for the future without this POS.       

4 hours ago, Powpow said:

The difference is Luck wouldn't REACT and would respond in a mature, forthright manner defending his position.  Geno reacts like an immature fool.  He doesn't appear to have the personality or social skills to adjust his egocentric tendencies.  When have you EVER heard anything negative uttered about Luck's interaction with the fans or media?  They are worlds apart. I just saw this interview and its appalling the FO allows this idiot to continue being on this team. He is not a leader and really is reminiscent of the Ryan Leaf School of the Vacuous.  Its coming.  An outright meltdown with a reporter before the season starts. 

Nice of you to change my hypothetical scenario,lol.  I said if he reacted the same way, and I don't see why he wouldn't, Geno did nothing wrong unless you hate him.  He wasn't an immature fool.  Not even close.  The NY Rangers B Boyle was an immature fool last month.  Anyone who thinks Geno's reaction was Leaf like really should stay out of the thread, it's too personal.

Geno will seize the #1 job if they don't sign fitz.

Geno will throw a nice ball during games.

Geno will make some fine plays that will make people think he 'gets it'

Geno will make a half dozen mindbogglingly awful plays per game to go with all his good plays to lose games.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Geno will seize the #1 job if they don't sign fitz.

Geno will throw a nice ball during games.

Geno will make some fine plays that will make people think he 'gets it'

Geno will make a half dozen mindbogglingly awful plays per game to go with all his good plays to lose games.

Our last impression of Ryan Fitzpatrick was 3 INTs in the last 3 Jets possessions ending our playoff hopes and season. 

A few mistakes by Geno Smith will never equal Ryan Fitzpatrick and how we ended the 2015 season. 

Geno makes a mistake its catostrophic Fitzpatrick makes multiple mistakes and its ok. 

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice of you to change my hypothetical scenario,lol.  I said if he reacted the same way, and I don't see why he wouldn't, Geno did nothing wrong unless you hate him.  He wasn't an immature fool.  Not even close.  The NY Rangers B Boyle was an immature fool last month.  Anyone who thinks Geno's reaction was Leaf like really should stay out of the thread, it's too personal.

Cut the crap.  The point is Luck would never get in a situation like that to begin with. He's too classy a kid.  Geno was being Geno and was totally disrespectful to that reporter.  Yet some of you rationalize his behavior claiming he was being baited.  Nonsense.  He felt threatened by the questioning and retaliated instead of handling it like a mature man.  Unfortunately for him, he just doesn't have the tools to do that.  Thus, it severely impairs his ability to be a leader.   Geno's maturing alright from an ignoramus to a pompous jerk.   

20 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Cut the crap.  The point is Luck would never get in a situation like that to begin with. He's too classy a kid.  Geno was being Geno and was totally disrespectful to that reporter.  Yet some of you rationalize his behavior claiming he was being baited.  Nonsense.  He felt threatened by the questioning and retaliated instead of handling it like a mature man.  Unfortunately for him, he just doesn't have the tools to do that.  Thus, it severely impairs his ability to be a leader.   Geno's maturing alright from an ignoramus to a pompous jerk.   

Cut the crap? 

Youre the one deciding who would or wouldn't say what.  And that What Gwno said wasn't classy, whatever.  He politely said he doesn't talk about players contracts and was asked over and over again if he was happy a teammate was missing.  How many times do you think they would pester Luck with a question like that?  How many different ways would they ignore Luck if he answered the way Geno did initially?  I don't have to rationalize anything.  

I already said I have no problem with his response.  Only haters looking for shlt to whine about do. 

And there isn't a chance in hell his response to that reporter hampers his ability to lead his team.  Another bit of nonsense.  The Seahawks love Lynch. Look up at him as one of their team leaders.  When was the last time he wasn't a complete dick in an interview?  No one gives a shlt, players care about one thing, who can win games.  If you do you can be the biggest prick in the world, they won't care.  

Only fans don't get that it's a job to these guys. 

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Our last impression of Ryan Fitzpatrick was 3 INTs in the last 3 Jets possessions ending our playoff hopes and season. 

A few mistakes by Geno Smith will never equal Ryan Fitzpatrick and how we ended the 2015 season. 

Geno makes a mistake its catostrophic Fitzpatrick makes multiple mistakes and its ok. 

I swear we will be in the year 2020 and you will still be bleating about Fitzpatrick and making any excuses about any scrub Qb we have cause Fitz three three picks in that last game.  The QBing and offensive performance this team had last year was the 1st time in years the team looked like it had any clue at all how to score enough each game to have a chance at each game.  Another year of Geno smith would be a huge step backwards and we'll be subjected to the awful mind numbing melt downs you attriubute to fitzpatcik but instead on one game it will be 7 or 8 games a year.

Our defense better be great this coming year, that's all I can say.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I swear we will be in the year 2020 and you will still be bleating about Fitzpatrick and making any excuses about any scrub Qb we have cause Fitz three three picks in that last game.  The QBing and offensive performance this team had last year was the 1st time in years the team looked like it had any clue at all how to score enough each game to have a chance at each game.  Another year of Geno smith would be a huge step backwards and we'll be subjected to the awful mind numbing melt downs you attriubute to fitzpatcik but instead on one game it will be 7 or 8 games a year.

Our defense better be great this coming year, that's all I can say.

I agree and for the record I have never said the Jets are better off with Geno Smith as the QB I just dont like our chances with Ryan Fitzpatrick whoever the QB is I hope for them to do well. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Geno would never have the team in position to even crack the playoffs. So it's a moot point you're trying to make. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno would never have the team in position to even crack the playoffs. So it's a moot point you're trying to make. 

Really? He went 8-8 and almost made the playoffs in 2013 with the worst offensive roster in the nfl

Archived