What's the goal here???

Jets1214

I have to be honest, I am actually MORE interested in this season then I was for last season.  Yeah we are going to suck big time this season.  I think we are looking at a 3 win season and maybe worse.  But you know what...that's FINE so long is there is a PLAN in place which there finally seems to be for the first time in years!  MANY Jet fans knew that the 2016 team had no real shot of winning anything.  We knew 2015 was a fluke and that we didn't have the QB or the roster to do anything more then MAYBE contend for a wild card spot in 2016.  We haven't had a legit SB contender since the 2011 off season. And THAT is what keeps me interested.  The idea that we COULD win a SB in any given year.  Either that or a PLAN to get to a point where we could win a SB.  But this middle ground nonsense that so many Jets fans seem to be accepting of to me is what kills this franchise.  This idea that just being "good" is somehow good enough.

Fact is anyone who thought the signing of any of the QBs this off season (including Romo btw) even if we had kept all our vets was going to somehow lead to a SB contending year were kidding themselves.  All signing a Romo or Cutler would have done was ensure a level of "entertainment" and maybe a 7 or 8 win season.  And what purpose does that serve?  Just more treading water waiting to drown.  For any Jets fan that wants to see a SB again, this rebuild HAD to happen.  Too many years of horrid drafting under Tannenbaum and Idzik lead to a decaying roster and too many band aids until we finally ran out.  Now there is a plan...thank God.   Whetehr or not Mac and/or Bowles is the right guy to execute that plan remains to be seen.  But at least they recognized they had to stop the insanity with these competitive rebuilds. One of my favorite years as a Jets fan was 1977.  We went 3-11.  But they cleaned house after Namath left in 76 and brought in a great draft Powell, Walker, Harper, Klecko, and Dierking,  They played the kid QB.  They competed pretty much every week and nearly knocked off Pitt, Oakland and Miami that year.  And they were BUILDING and it lead to a decent SB run in the early to mid 80s.

So if you are a Jets fan that wants to be entertained every Sunday and ultimate results be damned then yes, you hate the McCown signing.  He gives us NO chance to be a playoff team this year.  But if you try and see the forest through the trees, you'll see that it will likely give us a chance to either see if we have a franchise QB on the roster and if we don't we will have the chance to finally draft one.  Im not saying we should tank.  But we MUST find a real QB so what I am saying is that I'd rather go 2-14 with an unproven kid QB the year before a draft where there are a few blue chip QBs coming out and have a shot at one of them then I would to go 6-10 with a Cutler or a Glennon and draft another non impact safety or cornerback at pick 12.  So again, yes, this team will not contend for anything this year and will lose a lot...but that in my opinion does not make them uninteresting.  In fact in many ways it makes them MORE interesting then many of the recent teams this franchise has put on the field the last 5 years that were going nowhere.

Just now, Jets1214 said:

o if you are a Jets fan that wants to be entertained every Sunday and ultimate results be damned then yes, you hate the McCown signing.  He gives us NO chance to be a playoff team this year.

No chance this guy is the opening day starter. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly...an even better reason to have signed him.  He should only play if Hackenberg and Petty fail first.  That doesn't happen if we sign a Glennon or a Cutler or a Romo.  This is a rebuild year with a potential pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (Darnold? Rosen?) if our current kids fail.  There is NO sense in getting an established vet QB so we can sit the kids and win a couple more meaningless games with no chance for the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The goal:

Sam+Darnold+USC+v+Washington+7uZiABBKwn_

I think that sums it up.  Either that or find out that by some miracle Hackenberg is the real deal and move forward with him.  But getting a Romo or Cutler or rolling the miracle dice and commiting to a Glennon makes zero sense to me.

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I'll easily bet he will be, its a very easy yes to that question.  If there is any question now they will be answered as he shows he is by far the best QB on the team after camp.

I'll be shocked if he isn't barring injury.

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll easily bet he will be, its a very easy yes to that question.  If there is any question now they will be answered as he shows he is by far the best QB on the team after camp.

I agree.  I think McCown will start week 1...and perhaps weeks 2 and 3 and 4 also.  But by early October he will either be hurt or inefective and/or Hack or Petty will be next man up.  My HOPE is that Hackenberg is in there by week 8 and we can get a real look at him so we can determine definitively if we are drafting a QB in 2018 or not.

58 minutes ago, the Claw said:

He will if he beats out the yoots; and honestly, if Petty or Hack can't beat out McCown then they're not long for this league.

It's a win/lose/win situation.

Thats correct and we do another house cleaning until we finally get it right. 

Just now, j4jets said:

The goal is to assemble a group of QBs that don't know football and hope for a miracle. I don't remember us being this bad EVER, yet Macc is doing a fine job two years into it. 

That;s a bit too far. More like, the Jets have drafted 2 young QBs, hope for a miracle and start again

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That;s a bit too far. More like, the Jets have drafted 2 young QBs, hope for a miracle and start again

Hackensuck is still learning how to take an NFL snap. Bryce Petty is learning that there are more than one receiving options (other than Robby). McCown is, well, a McCown. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The goal:

Sam+Darnold+USC+v+Washington+7uZiABBKwn_

The hiring of John Morton also makes this a great fit.  Morton and Helton were on the same USC staff in 2010.  Morton will have access to a lot of insider information on Darnold and hopefully the offenses they run will be similar (both from the Lane Kiffin/Pete Carroll coaching tree so possibly West Coast Offense based).

1 hour ago, Jets1214 said:

I have to be honest, I am actually MORE interested in this season then I was for last season.  Yeah we are going to suck big time this season.  I think we are looking at a 3 win season and maybe worse.  But you know what...that's FINE so long is there is a PLAN in place which there finally seems to be for the first time in years!  MANY Jet fans knew that the 2016 team had no real shot of winning anything.  We knew 2015 was a fluke and that we didn't have the QB or the roster to do anything more then MAYBE contend for a wild card spot in 2016.  We haven't had a legit SB contender since the 2011 off season. And THAT is what keeps me interested.  The idea that we COULD win a SB in any given year.  Either that or a PLAN to get to a point where we could win a SB.  But this middle ground nonsense that so many Jets fans seem to be accepting of to me is what kills this franchise.  This idea that just being "good" is somehow good enough.

Fact is anyone who thought the signing of any of the QBs this off season (including Romo btw) even if we had kept all our vets was going to somehow lead to a SB contending year were kidding themselves.  All signing a Romo or Cutler would have done was ensure a level of "entertainment" and maybe a 7 or 8 win season.  And what purpose does that serve?  Just more treading water waiting to drown.  For any Jets fan that wants to see a SB again, this rebuild HAD to happen.  Too many years of horrid drafting under Tannenbaum and Idzik lead to a decaying roster and too many band aids until we finally ran out.  Now there is a plan...thank God.   Whetehr or not Mac and/or Bowles is the right guy to execute that plan remains to be seen.  But at least they recognized they had to stop the insanity with these competitive rebuilds. One of my favorite years as a Jets fan was 1977.  We went 3-11.  But they cleaned house after Namath left in 76 and brought in a great draft Powell, Walker, Harper, Klecko, and Dierking,  They played the kid QB.  They competed pretty much every week and nearly knocked off Pitt, Oakland and Miami that year.  And they were BUILDING and it lead to a decent SB run in the early to mid 80s.

So if you are a Jets fan that wants to be entertained every Sunday and ultimate results be damned then yes, you hate the McCown signing.  He gives us NO chance to be a playoff team this year.  But if you try and see the forest through the trees, you'll see that it will likely give us a chance to either see if we have a franchise QB on the roster and if we don't we will have the chance to finally draft one.  Im not saying we should tank.  But we MUST find a real QB so what I am saying is that I'd rather go 2-14 with an unproven kid QB the year before a draft where there are a few blue chip QBs coming out and have a shot at one of them then I would to go 6-10 with a Cutler or a Glennon and draft another non impact safety or cornerback at pick 12.  So again, yes, this team will not contend for anything this year and will lose a lot...but that in my opinion does not make them uninteresting.  In fact in many ways it makes them MORE interesting then many of the recent teams this franchise has put on the field the last 5 years that were going nowhere.

Ok I get it and agree with your premise. I also agree that for us to become major contenders and get a franchise QB, the moron must remain as HC so he can lead us to 1-3 in 2017 wins so we can be at the top of next years draft.

What I don't get is this whole "rebuild" idea while keeping the same deficient HC in place, this is akin to putting an entire new chassis on a car that has a blown engine. It makes absolutely no sense.

Any of you who think this guy will become a great HC are deluding yourselves and I feel we will be mired in mediocrity or worse for at least 5 more years because of this.

Just now, ASH1962 said:

What I don't get is this whole "rebuild" idea while keeping the same deficient HC in place, this is akin to putting an entire new chassis on a car that has a blown engine. It makes absolutely no sense.

Any of you who think this guy will become a great HC are deluding yourselves and I feel we will be mired in mediocrity or worse for at least 5 more years because of this.

Because it's dirty business to fire a HC alone during a rebuild without at least two years. The only way you fire a HC during a rebuild is if the GM goes too because the HC is essentially the extension of the GM. That's why I was okay with keeping Idzik one more year and then firing him and a one year HC>

Yeah, I'd go so far as saying there is an overwhelming chance he's the opening day starter. I'd say it's a borderline lock.

As far as the OP -- I agree. I'd rather suck with a plan than be mediocre with no direction.

Dreadful for Darnold 2017.

What are you basing this on? That;s the key. IF you're basing this on last year alone, you're assuming that there will be no improvement.

35 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Ok I get it and agree with your premise. I also agree that for us to become major contenders and get a franchise QB, the moron must remain as HC so he can lead us to 1-3 in 2017 wins so we can be at the top of next years draft.

In my opinion getting a new HC is as important as getting a QB.  But Woody wasnt going to fire Bowles after 2 years.  It would look really bad.  He gets 2017 to further prove that he is totally incompetent and needs to be replaced.  Mac will likely be safe though and then will hand pick his next HC (who will actually report to him as any HC should) and that will be Macs final shot here over the next 2-3 years.

19 minutes ago, Jets1214 said:

In my opinion getting a new HC is as important as getting a QB.  But Woody wasnt going to fire Bowles after 2 years.  It would look really bad.  He gets 2017 to further prove that he is totally incompetent and needs to be replaced.  Mac will likely be safe though and then will hand pick his next HC (who will actually report to him as any HC should) and that will be Macs final shot here over the next 2-3 years.

I disagree. The logic of signing McCown is that the Jets are not taking their best shot to win as much as they can in the short run.  That being the case, how can Woody and the FO blame Bowles for not winning when they have not given him a decent QB?

Bowles could still lose his job even so if he can't control the locker room, but short of that, he will be back for 18.

It's the the GM decisions that you really have to question not Bowles.

Apart from the other GM'ing decisions, the outcome of Hackenberg will make him look like a genius or a fool given how strongly much of the scouting community felt about him pre-draft.

Archived