^^^The official 2017 NFL Draft Day Thread^^^

InstantClassic

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

No doubt, but he is here today, and we have to try and understand what he did this weekend. That is all we can grade him on this weekend. 

He would have been skewed if he did not get fair value for #6. Just my opinion.

He may have... And those people would be wrong IMO.  He'd also be defended if he drafted a punter in the 2nd, because "without a QB, field position is EVEN MORE important" or some nonsense like that...

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

/bookmarks post

//sets calendar reminder for eighteen months from now

Honestly, go ahead.  Took me 20 minutes to post that grade because im still not happy about round 2 at all.  I'll eat the lumps.  I'm closer to you on the "f*ck Macc" train right now than I ever was before.  I like the players as individuals.  I hate what we passed on.

31 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

The last two picks are for 2018, not this upcoming season.  If they like the upside, and see future value, there is nothing wrong with investing for the future.  This is not a one-year turnaround, so forward vision isn't a bad thing.

Reed could have been had as an UDFA - dumb pick WASTE

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Then that logic is the reason why making a comment on Glennon and his payday cant be taken seriously. 

It doesnt matter if 6 is less than 12. We paid Fitz money and said that his qualities was being a veteran that can mentor the young guys. When push came to shove he showed his true colors by throwing the front office and ownership under the bus during a press conference. We then turn around and pay a guy 6 million, once again, because of some ridiculous punchline statement such as "a mentor to young QB's" that fans love to eat up and regurgitate. 

Mike Glennon is better than both McCown and Fitzpatrick. I wasnt on board to giving Glennon anything more than 12 million, but when you have an opportunity to draft a guy like a Nathan Peterman, you do so when you have a current blackhole in Hackenberg, a clear bench player in Petty, and a guy who's robbing the team in McCown. 

Nothing the Jets are doing is a better option. McCown's 6 million should be more of a concern than Glennon's whatever million. 

We went through this in February. It  is a matter of option. we disagree.

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they had a chance to take every qb, a qb in every round.  they scouted them heavily.  they could have taken peterman in the 5th.  they must quietly love hack's progress or are in full tank mode

Fwiw  

Walter Cherepinsky (@walterfootball)

4/29/17, 2:15 PM

On @richeisen question about Jets QBs, @DraftCampbell reported that the Jets like Christian Hackenberg's progression

Just now, C Mart said:

Fwiw  

On @richeisen question about Jets QBs, @DraftCampbell reported that the Jets like Christian Hackenberg's progression

now this has some validity since they didn't take a qb.  

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Fwiw  

God I hope so.

9 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Half azz draft by Mac  C  could have been special.

1- Adams A+  Leader. 2nd best player in draft. absolute steal. No Brainer.

2- Mayes D Terrible waste of a pick. Mac like

3- Stewart  C+  Another wasted pick to use so high IMO. We have a gazillon WR's

4- Hansen B+ Solid pick. This kid could be special.

5- Legget B decent pick since we desperately needed a TE but would have preferred Everrett

5- Donahue C good engine but too early to draft and total project.

6- McGuire B Not bad skill set but again we could have had Cook ....SMH

6- Clark B Nice pick great potential

6- Reed F    WTF pick a guy whos not even on draftboard SMH

We really compromised on RB, TE, Edge, WR on second thought I give this draft a D+ should have been so much better. Takinh mayes really screwed up this draft and the  quality of players taken. Mac is a horrible evaluator/GM

Keep hearing about great potential by Clark. Is there any footage out there? I seen one video and dude didnt look impressive at all. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Honestly, go ahead.  Took me 20 minutes to post that grade because im still not happy about round 2 at all.  I'll eat the lumps.  I'm closer to you on the "f*ck Macc" train right now than I ever was before.

Its simply the JETS 2nd round curse alive and well.   I would have preferred Cook as well. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

You picked a bad hill to die on Custer.

Stockpiling picks next year empowers us to move up more easily if/when an opportunity presents.  If there's no guy we really feel we needed to have right now, this is a great move. 

Using A 5 rounder as ammunition is like Custer fighting Indians with marshmellows in a sling. good luck with that.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Then lets not talk about something we clearly figured that we disagreed with in February. 

Enjoy the season with McCown. 

You started the debate. All I said was we have a chance to look at him again next year, Obviously, this new club is not enamored in their newest big ticket purchase. If he is all that you say he is, we will have seen that on someone else dollar. Happily so in my mind.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You started the debate. All I said was we have a chance to look at him again next year, Obviously, this new club is not enamored in their newest big ticket purchase. If he is all that you say he is, we will have seen that on someone else dollar. Happily so in my mind.

You got the last word. 

Can we disagree like you said? 

16 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Half azz draft by Mac  C  could have been special.

1- Adams A+  Leader. 2nd best player in draft. absolute steal. No Brainer.

2- Mayes D Terrible waste of a pick. Mac like

3- Stewart  C+  Another wasted pick to use so high IMO. We have a gazillon WR's

4- Hansen B+ Solid pick. This kid could be special.

5- Legget B decent pick since we desperately needed a TE but would have preferred Everrett

5- Donahue C good engine but too early to draft and total project.

6- McGuire B Not bad skill set but again we could have had Cook ....SMH

6- Clark B Nice pick great potential

6- Reed F    WTF pick a guy whos not even on draftboard SMH

We really compromised on RB, TE, Edge, WR on second thought I give this draft a D+ should have been so much better. Takinh mayes really screwed up this draft and the  quality of players taken. Mac is a horrible evaluator/GM

9 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Reed could have been had as an UDFA - dumb pick WASTE

Who is this Reed guy you keep talking about?

19 minutes ago, gEYno said:

What do you do if you draft a QB?  Cut Petty?  I'm not objecting to that, but I sure would object to the 4 QB nonsense again.

Personally, I would never, EVER, have signed McCown in the first place.  It was an awful decision for where this franchise is right now.

But to answer your question, I would put the four in camp, McCown, Hack, Petty and Peterson.

Best three still have jobs on opening day.  

And I would do this every year till we find a legitimate starting QB.  Draft one, camp four, best three stay.

Keep hearing about great potential by Clark. Is there any footage out there? I seen one video and dude didnt look impressive at all. 

I haven't found a ton. I don't particularly like the pick. Tall and gangly who injured his acl this past year. That knee on that body is just not going to last imo.

More of a press corner from what I gather. Not the most agile.

19 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Its simply the JETS 2nd round curse alive and well.   I would have preferred Cook as well. 

Thing is, I actually think Maye is gonna be a really solid pick and be a good player for a long time. 

I just also felt that way about cook and would have loved to give Hackenberg another guy to lean on.  I think he's going to be another Jamaal Charles. 

Personally, I would never, EVER, have signed McCown in the first place.  It was an awful decision for where this franchise is right now.
But to answer your question, I would put the four in camp, McCown, Hack, Petty and Peterson.
And I would do this every year till we find a legitimate starting QB.  Draft one, camp four, best three stay.

Agreed, although less agreement on McCown... he should have been cheaper. I never mind seeing a vet in a qb competition. If nothing else, it gives a point of comparison that isn't speculative.

1 minute ago, the Claw said:

Agreed, although less agreement on McCown... he should have been cheaper. I never mind seeing a vet in a qb competition. If nothing else, it gives a point of comparison that isn't speculative.

Remind us all of that Week 10 when neither Hack nor Petty have seen the field yet.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Thing is, I actually think Maye is gonna be a really solid pick and be a good player for a long time. 

I just also felt that way about cook and would have loved to give Hackenberg another guy to lean on.  I think he's going to be another Jamaal Charles. 

I hope.... but I remember the old JI board was full of guys defending Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse and the others.  

11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I hope.... but I remember the old JI board was full of guys defending Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse and the others.  

I was one of the guys who wanted Alshon above every one else in the 2nd and Melvin Ingram in the 1st.  I wanted Wilson or Cousins in the later rounds in case Sanchez regressed even more than 2011 (I was thinking both would have been there in the 4th).  The 2012 draft is one I reaaaaaalllllly don't like to talk about. 

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm no great supporter of McCown, but I went through this exercise before with someone, and it's fairly unprecedented to go into a season with the amount of experience that Hack, Petty, and a draft pick would have had. 

Just now, gEYno said:

I'm no great supporter of McCown, but I went through this exercise before with someone, and it's fairly unprecedented to go into a season with the amount of experience that Hack, Petty, and a draft pick would have had. 

I don't care.

Just because everyone jumps off a bridge, does not mean I have to.

The NFL's ingrained Ultra-Conservatism is nothing to applaud, nor to use as a defense for a bad move.

Remind us all of that Week 10 when neither Hack nor Petty have seen the field yet.

Hey look, if they can't clearly beat out Josh McCown, then what good is that? Like I said, point of comparison that isn't speculative.

You apparently like speculation.

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And so it begins

Dave Southorn (@davesouthorn)

4/29/17, 6:39 PM

Just now on ESPN, Adam Schefter said an NFL personnel director told him to put it in the books that Josh Allen will be the No. 1 pick in '18

Slosh for Josh.

SAR I

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette:  A- Grade  
The Jets are quietly having a stellar draft, as they've traded down a bunch to pick up lots of resources, which they desperately needed. Elijah McGuire is a value selection, as I had him going off the board 50 selections earlier than this. McGuire tested poorly during the pre-draft process, but he's an effective pass-catching weapon coming out of the backfield. 

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan:  B+ Grade  
Jeremy Clark may have snuck into the second day of the draft had he not sustained a torn ACL in September. Clark dropped all the way to Round 6, but the Jets are getting decent value with him. He has the potential to emerge as a starter in 2018, but the durability concerns 

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Derrick Jones, CB, Ole Miss:  B Grade  
The Jets are swinging for the fences here, which is fine. Derrick Jones has elite athleticism, but not very much production. He has starter potential, but could also fail to make the roster. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades6.php#MO2DzS5mlWuaiXPg.99

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson:  A Grade  
And yet another great tight end value pick in the fifth round. This tight end class is tremendous, and I'm surprised that some of these players didn't go earlier. The Jets won't complain, as they might be able to finally fill their massive need at the position. Leggett is a poor blocker, but figures to be a productive pass-catcher. 

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Dylan Donahue, DE/OLB, West Georgia:  C+ Grade  
Dylan Donahue nearly made my mock draft, but he didn't make the cut. He could have though, as he was very productive in college, albeit at a small school. Donahue is 25, so that's a negative, but he could end up being a rotational pass-rusher for the Jets. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades5.php#IiUCC2bbbyC4cc2Y.99

Archived