Derek Carr makes as much as Jets' highest-paid skill players -- 17 of them ~ ~ ~

kelly

He's not without flaws,but I'd like them to take a QB every year.
Also thought Gailey would hang around for a couple years to work with him.

Until you find the guy why not play the QB lotto every year? I agree. Evaluating QBs is notoriously difficult why not take a swing around 4-5th round every year if you aren't in a position to pick one of the consensus top prospects?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this quote about Carr's contract.

"There's no telling what a great, young franchise quarterback would receive on the open market, because it never happens. General managers like McKenzie don't allow it to happen, because they know that other teams would happily blow the top off quarterback pay scales. Contemplate how much the Browns or Jets would pay Carr in a scenario where they didn't even have to give up trade compensation. $30 million per year? $40 million?"

On 6/23/2017 at 5:33 PM, Mike135 said:

Yeah, well we like spending all our cap space on 3 DEs when only two can play at a time.

Beat that Oakland!

I learned all I needed to know about Geno that first night of the draft.

9 hours ago, jgb said:

It's amazing how you put a legitimate QB onto a team with professionals and suddenly the whole team performs well. If Geno were on that team, we would be talking about how it was Latavius Murray's fault they only won 6 games but now, finally, with a HOF RB this year we can actually evaluate him properly (of course Beast Mode wouldn't come out of retirement to play for Geno anyway). Until next year when after another pathetic performance we are blaming Marshawn Old Man Lynch for running out of gas down the stretch.

Fact is stud QBs elevate those around them. So yeah Raiders looking good. Imagine if defenders were preparing for the same exact team minus Carr plus Geno. Totally different story.

I think you're deflecting from the point. It's not about whether or not the QB is legit or not. That's a different argument. It's about surrounding your young potential franchise quarterback with talent. And btw when Geno had a healthy receiving core he did well...

23 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Concern with Lynch is that he's dumb as a rock and has a slow release. Those two factors usually spell doom for QB in the current NFL. I actually do believe Hackenberg has a higher ceiling than Lynch. Lord save me from empty predictions, but there it is. I said it.

I have said a hundred times if Lynch turns into anything I will be shocked. I'll never forget when I saw that kid in a predraft interview....all I kept thinking is "this goofy bastard is who everyone is talking about as a franchise guy". I dont wish him bad but I'd personally be shocked if he isnt a total flop...his stock rose dramatically (artificially) right before the draft simply because he is a QB.  

17 hours ago, August said:

Funny you say that but Carr is backed up by a top notch defense, stud receivers and backs and the second best oline. 

Raiders have a top notch defense?   If they had average defense they would be hands down favorites to win the Super Bowl.  The Raiders have a very young defense that could eventually be very good.   Only real question mark seems to be at MLB. 

The Raiders defense will be as good as the responsibility they give Ex Chargers DC John Pagano in formulating a game plan on defense( assistant head coach) .    Jack Delrio hasn't gotten it done on defense( pulling the strings for Ken Norton Jr( DC in name only). 

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Raiders have a top notch defense?   If they had average defense they would be hands down favorites to win the Super Bowl.  The Raiders have a very young defense that could eventually be very good.   Only real question mark seems to be at MLB. 

The Raiders defense will be as good as the responsibility they give Ex Chargers DC John Pagano in formulating a game plan on defense( assistant head coach) .    Jack Delrio hasn't gotten it done on defense( pulling the strings for Ken Norton Jr( DC in name only). 

Sheldon for Mack straight Swap B)

I think you're deflecting from the point. It's not about whether or not the QB is legit or not. That's a different argument. It's about surrounding your young potential franchise quarterback with talent. And btw when Geno had a healthy receiving core he did well...

While I appreciate a good psychoanalysis I think you're giving too much credit to a guy just posting his opinion on a fan board

On 6/23/2017 at 0:31 PM, kelly said:

A few years ago, the Oakland Raiders were the current New York Jets: perennial also-rans who rebooted by gutting their roster. They created a ton of cap space, spent money in free agency and drafted two cornerstone players, Derek Carr and Khalil Mack. They suffered through another three losing seasons and a coaching change, but it finally clicked last season with a playoff appearance.

On Thursday, the Raiders took another big step, locking up their franchise quarterback -- Carr -- with a reported five-year extension for $125 million.The Raiders' ascent shows there is hope for the Jets, but it will take time, patience, smart decision-making and, yes, a little bit of luck. Carr lasted until the 36th pick of the 2014 draft, proof that not all elite quarterbacks are found at the top of the draft. Imagine how the Cleveland Browns feel; they passed on Carr three times, once for Johnny Manziel.

In case you're wondering, the Jets took Calvin Pryor with the 18th pick and now he plays for the Browns. That's called the circle of life for downtrodden franchises.

Right now, the Jets and Raiders are at opposite ends of the team-building spectrum. The Raiders just committed an obscene amount of money to a 26-year-old quarterback, giving them long-term stability at the most important position. The Jets? Well, they're living in a different world. They will have their fourth different opening-day starter in six years, and there's a very good chance it'll be five in seven years in 2018.

There's also the money.

Consider this mind-blowing comparison: Carr's $25 million average per year, reportedly the highest in NFL history, is the same as the combined APY of the 17 highest-paid skill-position players on the Jets' current roster.We're talking about three quarterbacks, four running backs, two tight ends and eight wide receivers.

Is that crazy or what ?

By dumping Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall and Nick Mangold, the Jets eliminated three large salaries from their books. Their new highest-paid player on offense is left tackle Kelvin Beachum ($8 million per year).

A look at each skill position and the top salary (based on APY) :

Quarterback: Josh McCown ($6.5 million)

Running back: Matt Forte ($4 million)

Wide receiver: ArDarius Stewart ($844,000)

Tight end: Austin Seferian-Jenkins ($1.3 million)

Except for McCown, Forte and Bilal Powell ($3.75 million), everybody in the skill category is making the minimum salary or slightly above it. Someday, maybe, the Jets will have a quarterback worthy of a megadeal. In the meantime, they should follow the Raiders' blueprint.

Just grin (and bear it), baby.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69564/derek-carr-makes-as-much-as-jets-highest-paid-skill-players-17-of-them

If they don't win in the next 2 years they'll have to start dismantling the team to afford Carr.  Kind of what happened with the Jets after they didn't win in 2009 and 2010.

On 6/24/2017 at 10:14 AM, T0mShane said:

Comparing Idzik's tenure to Maccagnan's as though it helps Maccagnan gives ultimate credence to my observation that, while fans claim they hate Mehta and Cimini, the great majority of them end up regurgitating almost verbatim what they write. 

Stages of Mehta-Cimini Inception Syndrome

1. Rage at article

2. State that article is fallacious

3. Decide that Cimini/Mehta are the antichrist

4. Wait three days

5. Find yourself believing and repeating thing Cimini/Mehta wrote three days prior.

This is so true! LOL.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Until you find the guy why not play the QB lotto every year? I agree. Evaluating QBs is notoriously difficult why not take a swing around 4-5th round every year if you aren't in a position to pick one of the consensus top prospects?

I have no argument with this logic.  I would have drafted a QB he 4th or 5th this year.  After training camp, keep your top 3.  Do this every year and even if you don't find your guy the talent level and depth in the position would improve. 

6 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

If they don't win in the next 2 years they'll have to start dismantling the team to afford Carr.  Kind of what happened with the Jets after they didn't win in 2009 and 2010.

No they are set up quite nicely to keep their key core players, and be around for awhile. ( they set Carr contract to be able to afford those other players.( G Jackson - expect they sign him before this season , K Mack,  and Amari Cooper.    Going to Vegas will help too, as with no state income taxes they can sign those players for less. Still taking home more than if they were in California.  Reggie Mckenize has a very good understanding of the salary cap.( he knows exactly what he's doing there)

Sure theRaiders are going to lose some talent( Like Mario Edwards contract up after 2018 season - healthy he's every bit the impact player Mack is)   since Raiders will rarely be active anymore in Fa , they will get a high compensation pick.    They are looking at 4 compensation picks in 2018 . ( these replenish your depth with cheap players you have for four years) That isn't counting the guys they will trade that Don't make their 53man roster.   

Basically keep your core, and replace the other with draft picks. ( Raiders have done excellent with late draft picks and undrafted Fa's under Mckenize.

22 hours ago, phill1c said:

Or his second...

BTW, what has David Carr won over his 'career'? I keep forgetting...

3 hours ago, phill1c said:

Oh, my bad, I thought you were talking about the Oakland Raiders' Derek Carr.

What has HE won?

Stop confusing me. You asked about David, but really wanted to know about Derek.

Okay He hasn't  won anything  yet Derek. (Who knows how far they go if he doesn't get hurt last year ) but every year he gets better and better.   https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDLlo7yVwAIvXC7?format=jpg&name=large   Missed last two games in 2016 or those numbers are even better.

No Qb judged on their first three years,  but what they do in their career. He 26 years with the best years of his football career left.  ( let's see how many championships he finishes with.

It's scary to think what the Raiders added to their offense this year .    beast mode with the physical offense line in front of him( the Raiders offense line is so much better than the one he ran behind with Seattle.  , Te Jared Cook - gives them a speed threat to attack the middle of the field , and Cordealle Patterson - deep speed threat/ Quick screen( pressure he puts on defense as  you get the ball and let him do his magic in space.( like he does on kick returns).   All that makes it hard to double one of the best one +2 Wr tandems in the game.

Also what Qb threw as many Td's with as few interceptions as Derek Carr in his first three years.    Only Qb on that list is Derek Carr.

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

There are quite a few of these unicorns on this board.

Some people only see what they want to see, I guess. The good news is these fans can still see Geno do what he did here for most of his career (hold a clipboard) in the same exact stadium as before. They might even see the home team win a few.

Why do you care? It's just something ELSE you'll never have any control over...

Oh I don't know that's a deep philosophical question. Going to use my Phone a Friend and defer to Rene Descartes on this one: "Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power."

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh I don't know that's a deep philosophical question. Going to use my Phone a Friend and defer to Rene Descartes on this one: "Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power."

I'll help you: You care because you don't have much control over the important things in your own life. Rene Descartes cannot help you with that; only you and your mom can clean your room.

OK, so? When Hackenberg is outperforming Carr on his low money deal, who gets the last laugh? We have the money to sign the rest of the beasts on our team, do they? Maybe we'll even sign some of theirs - Mack would look good in green

I'll help you: You care because you don't have much control over the important things in your own life. Rene Descartes cannot help you with that; only you and your mom can clean your room.

That's interesting. So then why do you care that I care so much? That's advanced level diagnosis there.

Archived