Bowles delivers ‘take it or leave it’ comments on Wilkerson, Williams

Ken Schroy

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Wilkerson stole money. I dunno what anybody expects Bowles to do or say about it.

I liked Williams as a prospect and I like him as a player but what you're seeing now is what you didn't want to hear after the draft. Williams is an average athlete for the position by NFL standards and guys like that don't just come in and set the league on fire. Williams will be fine and this is why there is obviously still hope for Adams too, but if you're starting to connect the dots between using high draft picks on non-elite athletes at non-premium positions and the overall (and much longer term than can all be chalked up to Macstupid) talent deficiency of the roster, welcome. Thanks for catching up.

I don't think it's so much that he didn't rip Mo a new one to the press (any fans' unrealistic desires to see it happen, notwithstanding). Few coaches do that, and fewer still can get away with doing that even if they were so inclined. Not to mention it's hard to do without looking like he's trying to pass blame onto others to shield himself.

It's more that no fan loves him gently cupping and caressing the balls of clearly-underperforming players like Mo, suggesting this is just what all expected and wanted out of him when Maccagnan gave him that ridiculous extension.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Bowles delivers ‘take it or leave it’ comments on Wilkerson, Williams   By Brian Costello

<snip>

Typical Bowles, will not criticize any player for anything.

Same as Rex without the big mouth.  Jets players under Rex and now Bowles were and are held accountable for NOTHING!  They are praised for mediocrity (something that Rex was great at) and the culture in Florham Park is that winning doesn't matter.  

I hate Bowles as a HC and hate the front office in general.  They S-U-C-K.  Can't wait until they are fired.  Hopefully after this season, but knowing how lame the ownership of this team is, we'll have to wait a few more years until Woody and his mentally challenged brother get their heads out of their asses.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bowles wants to win (even if some here think its better to lose), so he will play the best man at each position. Obviously, he sees the other options in practice and thinks Mo gives the team the best chance to succeed. Maybe its more of indictment on our Dline depth than Bowles. 

Letting a player, ANY player, under perform with no consequences is a terrible way to manage a team.  Mo should be benched even if the waterboy has to play instead of him.

Bowles has shown no improvement on game day, no improvement coaching up a defense starting 6 first round picks, no improvement in getting our 'big name' players to play for him. Want to give him credit for the new 'positive' locker room environment after purging nearly every veteran on the roster? Don't fool yourself.

He should be fired after this season. But let's not kid ourselves. This being the Jets, Bowels will ride Josh McCown to 5 or 6 wins,  and will be back in 2018. With the #7 pick in the 2018 draft they'll draft that edge rusher that's continually used as a cover up for all the defense's faults, and resort to signing Brian Hoyer to be our QB.

9 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Bowles has shown no improvement on game day, no improvement coaching up a defense starting 6 first round picks, no improvement in getting our 'big name' players to play for him. Want to give him credit for the new 'positive' locker room environment after purging nearly every veteran on the roster? Don't fool yourself.

He should be fired after this season. But let's not kid ourselves. This being the Jets, Bowels will ride Josh McCown to 5 or 6 wins,  and will be back in 2018. With the #7 pick in the 2018 draft they'll draft that edge rusher that's continually used as a cover up for all the defense's faults, and resort to signing Brian Hoyer to be our QB.

man that all sounds pretty bleak. 

I think it's 4 first rounders. At least that were drafted by the Jets.

Also Brian Hoyer is signed by the 49er's for the 2018 season. So we would have to trade for him or hope he's released.

You can make the argument, no defense has played better against the Patriots this season so far.

33 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Letting a player, ANY player, under perform with no consequences is a terrible way to manage a team.  Mo should be benched even if the waterboy has to play instead of him.

You do realize that coaches can discipline players in ways other than benching them or calling them out to the media. Good coaches keep everything internal. I know, in this age of twitter everyone wants instant gratification and can't stomach the idea that sh!t happens outside of the public eye. 

While Mo has been terrible, it's not like he is Odell Beckham and is deserving of a public flogging from his coach. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Considering your argument is that you didn't hear about something that happened, which you have been told numerous times in this thread did, clearly you are lacking in knowledge.  Apologies if you are offended that I gave you the benefit of the doubt that the issue may be your location, as opposed to the problem just being you.  I won't let it happen again, good sir.

I did hear about it, for like a day. It was basically nothing though.  That’s the point.  

Never mind.  Let’s ****. 

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You do realize that coaches can discipline players in ways other than benching them or calling them out to the media. Good coaches keep everything internal. I know, in this age of twitter everyone wants instant gratification and can't stomach the idea that sh!t happens outside of the public eye. 

While Mo has been terrible, it's not like he is Odell Beckham and is deserving of a public flogging from his coach. 

don't kid yourself.  Bowles does not exercise any discipline and players are not held accountable for mediocre to bad performance, either publicly or internally.  In addition, Bowles has done little to improve Darron Lee from his astonishingly bad play last year.  He still always seems off balance and several steps late to any play yand always seems to be away from the play or on his rear end trying to catch up.  And this was the guy Bowles was drooling over after they drafted him, with such high hopes.  Bowles is one of the worst HC's in the history of this franchise and that's saying a lot considering that horrid history.  You want to see things with your green colored lenses on?  Fine by me.  But this HC is just pathetic.  Not to mention no clue on how to manage the clock.  Bowles makes Herm Edwards look like a clock management God.  

Look where Darron Lee is on the Dion Lewis touchdown.  On his ass in the endzone and away from the play as usual.

dleepats1.jpg

56 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Bowles comes from the Parcells school: talk a guy down when he's up, and talk him up when he's down

No wonder he is talking up all of our fat, lazy, highly paid vets all the time the last few years.

The way that works is if the players actually have a bit of fear of the leader, bowles is nothing more than a soft touch.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

don't kid yourself.  Bowles does not exercise any discipline and players are not held accountable for mediocre to bad performance, either publicly or internally.  In addition, Bowles has done little to improve Darron Lee from his astonishingly bad play last year.  He still always seems off balance and several steps late to any play yand always seems to be away from the play or on his rear end trying to catch up.  And this was the guy Bowles was drooling over after they drafted him, with such high hopes.  Bowles is one of the worst HC's in the history of this franchise and that's saying a lot considering that horrid history.  You want to see things with your green colored lenses on?  Fine by me.  But this HC is just pathetic.  Not to mention no clue on how to manage the clock.  Bowles makes Herm Edwards look like a clock management God.  

Look where Darron Lee is on the Dion Lewis touchdown.  On his ass in the endzone and away from the play as usual.

dleepats1.jpg

Are we 0-6? The way you talk about the players and the coaches it sure feels like you think this team is 0-6. 

And I love taking a picture of one play where a player isn't in position to make a play. I am sure that has never happened to another good player in NFL history. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Are we 0-6? The way you talk about the players and the coaches it sure feels like you think this team is 0-6. 

And I love taking a picture of one play where a player isn't in position to make a play. I am sure that has never happened to another good player in NFL history. 

The Jets record isnt aligned with their performance. We've beaten the corpse of Jay Cutler, Blake Bortles and Kizer/Hogan. The offense and defense are at the bottom in terms of efficiency. Surprisingly the special teams arent a total dumpster fire this year like they've been in previous years. Catanzaro is probably Maccagnan's best acquistion besides ASJ.

Silver lining is these wins came early unlike some of the Rex years where the late wins fooled this dumb front office into thinking momentum would carry over or whatever.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

green colored lenses look beautiful in summer, but they turn ugly in fall when the truth bleeds through.

Bowles is abysmal in every way.  Darron Lee is a freaking joke out there.  Want more pics of Lee being awful?  I can gladly oblige.  He is a horror show on the field in the vast majority of plays both last year and this year. Bad draft pick.  He will either wind up being a career back up or out of the league sooner than later.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets record isnt aligned with their performance. We've beaten the corpse of Jay Cutler, Blake Bortles and Kizer/Hogan. The offense and defense are at the bottom in terms of efficiency. Surprisingly the special teams arent a total dumpster fire this year like they've been in previous years. Catanzaro is probably Maccagnan's best acquistion besides ASJ.

The Corpse of Jay Cutler just beat the Falcons and Bortles lead Jags just beat the Steelers 30-9. While Cutler and Bortles aren't good, we beat their teams while teams like the Falcons and Steelers could not. 

Not to mention we played a very good/close game against the "corpse" of Tom Brady.....

Again, SOJFs will always find a negative slant on everything. I don't even like Bowles, but you guys  have an unhealthy  negative outlook on everything Jets related. Bowles can be a bad coach that is also handling the Mo Wilk disaster as good as can be expected. Just because Bowles isn't a good coach doesn't mean every decision he makes is wrong. You guys sound like Foxnews bashing on Obama or MSNBC bashing on Trump. There is no gray in your lives. It's truly sad. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Corpse of Jay Cutler just beat the Falcons and Bortles lead Jags just beat the Steelers 30-9. While Cutler and Bortles aren't good, we beat their teams while teams like the Falcons and Steelers could not. 

Not to mention we played a very good/close game against the "corpse" of Tom Brady.....

Again, SOJFs will always find a negative slant on everything. I don't even like Bowles, but you guys  have an unhealthy  negative outlook on everything Jets related. Bowles can be a bad coach that is also handling the Mo Wilk disaster as good as can be expected. Just because Bowles isn't a good coach doesn't mean every decision he makes is wrong. You guys sound like Foxnews bashing on Obama or MSNBC bashing on Trump. There is no gray in your lives. It's truly sad. 

I mean I hear you. Being negative stinks. It's just reality though. This roster is built poorly and over the course of 16 games...spoiler alert- we're looking at 7-9 at best, which helps no one. There just isnt talent at the important positions.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Corpse of Jay Cutler just beat the Falcons and Bortles lead Jags just beat the Steelers 30-9. While Cutler and Bortles aren't good, we beat their teams while teams like the FalconTodd Bowles has no business being an NFL HC.  He is just awful in EVERYs and Steelers could not. 

It may be sad, but it is realistic and correct. We deserve better as fans than what this front office and coaching staff deliver.  It is pathetic with a capital "P".

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It may be sad, but it is realistic and correct. We deserve better as fans than what this front office and coaching staff deliver.  It is pathetic with a capital "P".

Meh, in the time we've been to two or even three AFC championship games there are teams that haven't been to the playoffs or won a playoff game. That doesn't mean we have to accept failure, but to just blindly bash every Jets player and every move Bowles/Macc makes is the exact opposite of viewing things through "green colored glasses."

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean I hear you. Being negative stinks. It's just reality though. This roster is built poorly and over the course of 16 games...spoiler alert- we're looking at 7-9 at best, which helps no one. There just isnt talent at the important positions.

Hey, getting to 7 wins is pretty good having no talent anywhere. Somebody is doing a good job at something. 

26 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm a Bowles supporter but I can understand why fans don't like him. But it has gotten borderline psychotic the hate spewed about Bowles. 

This after a week where, despite the call, if Jenkins doesn't fumble, they may have pulled out a victory. This with a roster the same fans have deemed the worst in the NFL.

Sometimes it feels like fans crave the made up drama, more than anything else about the team. Is there no realization that the scenarios that fans spew about Bowles is mostly made up?

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Sounds like a guy who knows his favorite player on the team is dogging it and the best player on the team isn’t as good as everyone thought he was. 

well Westhoff said i the post game (ad hes said it a few times) they are beig misused thats a very strog possibility

21 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I'm a Bowles supporter but I can understand why fans don't like him. But it has gotten borderline psychotic the hate spewed about Bowles. 

This after a week where, despite the call, if Jenkins doesn't fumble, they may have pulled out a victory. This with a roster the same fans have deemed the worst in the NFL.

Sometimes it feels like fans crave the made up drama, more than anything else about the team. Is there no realization that the scenarios that fans spew about Bowles is mostly made up?

It's the twitter age. Everything is the "worse ever." 

I'm a Yankee fan, and there are Yankee fans wanting Girardi fired, hate CC Sabathia, think Sanchez is the worst Catcher ever, Judge strikes out too much, Castro is terrible, Madden broke Chapman, Frazier sucks, Tanaka should have had TJ surgery,  etc.... If you want to look at the negative in life it is REAL easy. 

6 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What do people want Bowles to do? He needs these guys to play well and lead the defense. Williams hasn't been as bad as people think he has. Wilk has been awful but he's one of the longest tenured players on this team, if not the longest, and I bet he's one of the leaders in the locker room.

Mo is not a leader.  He is a lazy POS collecting a paycheck for barely going through the motions.

I keep saying this... Manish tried to tell us this last season about Mo with some of his partially-veiled tweets.  Stuff like, not exactly, "I wish you fans could see what I see in the locker room." 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

well Westhoff said i the post game (ad hes said it a few times) they are beig misused thats a very strog possibility

That's fine but I think good players still find away to make impact plays.  At the end of the day, they play DL and are supposed to beat the guy in front of them to get to the guy with the ball.  

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Morton has coached them to that.  Look at bowles baby, the defense, laden with all our high picks, all of our $ resources.  The guys who should be our best players are playing like garbage under his watch. 

25th total defense, 31st in sacks, 28th in run defense, 19th in pass defense and all this vs a relatively weak sched to start the year.

uh they're 21st in total by yards, 18th in run and 22 in pass. they are 26th in points allowed.  i agree they should be better because of the resources thrown into them but at least get the rankings right.

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

i'm neither here nor there on bowles.  i want him to succeed because to me having a solid coaching staff and front office is worth way more than any single or even group of players.  bowles deserves a lot of credit.  the way this team started and the way they started i wouldn't have been surprised if he was launched after game 4 but somehow they won 3 games and nearly beat the patsies.  i will say he is not out of the woods quite yet.  this team can easily regress but if they don't then credit has to be given to bowles.

13 hours ago, JiF said:

In this case, nothing but if Todd actually held players accountable inside the doors it would be a way of driving the point home and hoping for a different result. 

This team has overachieved greatly this year. And you have no idea who or how he holds people accountable.

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not interested in a public flogging.  Bowles has to figure out a way to get Mo to play better or play someone else.  It aint rocket science.

The transformation of Wilkerson is simply staggering.

I was one of the biggest advocates of getting him a contract. Had he sustained his level I still think he’d have been worth it but he’s just blatantly quit. The man is a total disgrace and not even bothering to look like he’s trying – You’d have thought with the team being competitive after 5 weeks he may step up but it’s more of the same. 

He should be benched and isolated from the rest of the team. He’s turned out to be exactly the sort of character you want your players avoiding. He got his and he got out. That’s all that’s happened. He’s not providing anything in the short term so why you’d allow him to hurt in the long term is beyond me. Bowles needs to be held accountable if and when this goes t&#33;ts up. 

Archived