Jets stats through 7 weeks that are interesting

UnitedWhofans

Jets are 20th in points given up tied with Green Bay and Kansas City (?!)

They are 20th in points scored per game with 19.6 (Some people were thinking 15 points per game prior to season)

Jets are next to last in sacks (Only Tampa Bay has fewer) but they are tied for 3rd in INTs (Buffalo, Detroit, and the Rams)

Surprising: Jets are 11th in net punt yards. 

Jets are 12th in rushing yards per attempt

Jets are 9th in opponent passing completion percentage. Opponents only complete 60.3% of their passes against the Jets. COmbo of bad QBs and good defense

The rushing yards per attempt is a skewed stat. They can't run for sh*t when they need to. Couldn't get a yard or 2 six times on the ground vs the Pats. The Jags game (2 runs, the Powell slip & fall and the McGuire runs) have skewed that statistic. I posted that the game prior for the Jags in London might have an effect on their play & it certainly did (basically 2 road games, the 1st being in London).

If the Jets played the Jags 9 more times this year they lose them all. That game was an anomaly.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The rushing yards per attempt is a skewed stat. They can't run for sh*t when they need to. Couldn't get a yard or 2 six times on the ground vs the Pats. The Jags game (2 runs, the Powell slip & fall and the McGuire runs) have skewed that statistic. I posted that the game prior for the Jags in London might have an effect on their play & it certainly did (basically 2 road games, the 1st being in London).

If the Jets played the Jags 9 more times this year. That game was an anomaly.

Same could be said for other teams. A lot of the teams have plays like that whee they may skew the average. That's why its called an "average". Its not called "Yards they will get on every single run". 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The offense despite the awful blunders late in some games has been far far better than I expected.  The defense, like last year is a horrible disappointment being run by a fraud of coach.

Completely agree.  9 first round defensive picks in a row and the defense is still lousy, and that's with a defensive minded coach at the helm.  Unacceptable on every level. 

45 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The offense despite the awful blunders late in some games has been far far better than I expected.  The defense, like last year is a horrible disappointment being run by a fraud of coach.

The offense has been better than expected, but what is killing them is the lack of consistency in game.  I was happy with what I saw of the offense through most of the game, but yesterday was the 2nd week in a row when as soon as we got a 14 point lead - we had 3 straight 3 and outs followed by a turnover on the 4th possession.  Happened in the 2nd quarter against the Pats and the 4th quarter yesterday. 

The offense has been good in stretches, but they have to avoid these other stretches of incompetence where they give the opponent a chance to get back in the game.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Jets are 20th in points given up tied with Green Bay and Kansas City (?!)

They are 20th in points scored per game with 19.6 (Some people were thinking 15 points per game prior to season)

Jets are next to last in sacks (Only Tampa Bay has fewer) but they are tied for 3rd in INTs (Buffalo, Detroit, and the Rams)

Surprising: Jets are 11th in net punt yards. 

Jets are 12th in rushing yards per attempt

Jets are 9th in opponent passing completion percentage. Opponents only complete 60.3% of their passes against the Jets. COmbo of bad QBs and good defense

These are good stats for a team with below average talent. All of the people who claim that the Jets are somehow radically underperforming because of Bowles are delusional.  

No player that has been released or traded by the Jets has been anything other than pedestrian at best which puts to bed somewhat that Bowles isn’t using the defense properly.  

Folks yelling for Skrine to be benched always fail to identify who should be his replacement?  

If Bowles was sitting Night Train Lane on the bench for Skrine then I could agree and say that he is blowing it but he isn’t and wouldn’t but what Bowles isn’t going to do is rip players in public. 

Many comments are just sour grapes; some keep repeating that Bowles should have taken the Jets to the playoffs his first year; well he went 10-6 and lost the final game because of atrocious play of Fitzpatrick.  

In 2009 nor 2010 and their magical runs did they win 10 regular season games!!! To act like Rex or Mangini before him had us winning 12 games during the regular season and then backed off is utterly ludicrous.  

This isnt FF, it takes time, effort and dedication to build a sucessful team and develop a winning culture and you don’t do that after 3 years with the sub par talent that we have had on offense and the often aging and disgruntled players we had on defense.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

The offense has been better than expected, but what is killing them is the lack of consistency in game.  I was happy with what I saw of the offense through most of the game, but yesterday was the 2nd week in a row when as soon as we got a 14 point lead - we had 3 straight 3 and outs followed by a turnover on the 4th possession.  Happened in the 2nd quarter against the Pats and the 4th quarter yesterday. 

The offense has been good in stretches, but they have to avoid these other stretches of incompetence where they give the opponent a chance to get back in the game.

Agreed, though the fact they are even having a chance to blow games is amazing to me.  I had this offense pegged for 13 points a game.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed, though the fact they are even having a chance to blow games is amazing to me.  I had this offense pegged for 13 points a game.

I think it says a lot about Morton & Bates. Be cool to see if these two can salvage Petty or Hack.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

All of this is great. It's also totally irrelevant for a team that everyone says is embarking on some grand rebuilding project. This team has been carried almost exclusively by guys who will be gone in three years. Less in some cases.

McCown will.

Kearse and ASJ will be resigned I think. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

All of this is great. It's also totally irrelevant for a team that everyone says is embarking on some grand rebuilding project. This team has been carried almost exclusively by guys who will be gone in three years. Less in some cases.

There hasn’t been any indication that our GM is adding players for multi-year contribution and development. His first rebuild couldn’t positively contribute for 2 whole seasons. I expect his 2nd rebuild to be even more rebuildier, but am still skeptical about the prospect of not starting a 3rd rebuild in 2 years.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

My goal was to see the young players play and not go 0-16 or 1-15. 

well, my goal was to see if petty can be the long term answer for us.. that & possibly getting a look at hackenberg as well..

but winning 5 or 6 games with mccown is nice too..

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

The preseason where Petty and Hackenberg got the majority of the snaps and did nothing with them 

oh, the one petty was competent in weeks 1 & 2 & lights out in week 3??

if you're going to be disingenuous, then i'm done with this debate..

waiter, check please..

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He has to stay. And if Bowles has to stay to keep him, so be it

Because having a decent-to-good OC is more important than having a competent HC.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Personally Id fire Bowles and keep Morton.

I'd let the new head coach decide on whether or not to keep Morton.

Archived