Jets Move Up and Select Pitt CB Revis

JetNation

With the 14th overall selection in the 2007 NFL Draft, the New York Jets selected Darrelle Revis. Revis, a 6'0", 197-pound University of Pittsburgh product, is both an accomplished cornerback and kick returner."I feel great, man," said an excited Revis when reached at his grandmother's home in Aliquippa, Pa. "I was just sitting here watching all these picks and just to see...

More...

• 8 years later...

I thought it would be fun to dredge up a thread from 2007.   

Jets' 2007 1st round pick: Darelle Revis

Jets' 2008 1st round pick: Vernon Gholston

Discuss.

Next time pick a thread where there was some discussion in it so we can mock those who were wrong :)

I thought it would be fun to dredge up a thread from 2007.   

Jets' 2007 1st round pick: Darelle Revis

Jets' 2008 1st round pick: Vernon Gholston

Discuss.

LOL Holy crap.... amazing in a great way and a year later amazing in a "WTF were u thinking kinda way".

Trying to recall my thoughts.

Revis pick: I think I wanted the Jets to stay pat (or even trade down a bit to gain another decent pick) and take a guard like Grubbs at the bottom of round 1. Moore, at the time, was just ok and Kendall - while still good - was winding down his career soon. (They decided to get no guard and still cut Kendall at the end of the summer. Shrewd.). But while I don't remember exactly, I don't think I liked the idea of trading up for Revis before the draft, when we were discussing it. To be fair, though, I never saw Revis play (not even highlight clips), and was just going by draft guides/values written by others. I knew I just wanted a demon OL so good it could make any just-ok RB look really good. Also because I liked a RBBC approach better, and since RBs can get hurt so easily didn't want just one (non-QB) injury to so horribly weaken an offense. Thought it was easier to build a line across the board with resources than to use those same resources to keep swinging and missing until we found one RB who was so all-that. A RB who can get injured so easily at that.

Gholston pick: I legitimately never saw him play but did remember seeing him climb up from being around the #20 pick to around the #5 pick as a prospect. Most likely I rah-rah/go-team rationalized it after we did take him, but I know - especially when trading up to get him was thought to be an option - I didn't like the idea of taking a player that high and moving him to a new position instead of using him at the position that made him such a high pick prospect in the first place. I do remember I didn't like DMC because I thought he was built to frailly and looked like he had a WRs body. Seemed like all the big play clips were of him using his elite speed to make the most of an opening that was cleared (some of them were huge, huge holes). As an every-down RB, which is what he'd be if you take him that high, I didn't like him and thought he would get injured a lot. In hindsight, though we didn't have a chance at DMC anyway, and even though I was right about him getting hurt all the time, he still would have been an infinitely better pick than Gholston anyway. The move to make was to pay the ransom for Ryan and save us from the players we did take with those picks (Gholston and Sanchez), and we'd have change left over in the form of the 2nd round pick we also used to trade up for Sanchez as well as a mountain of cap space available by paying one top-5 draft pick instead of two. 

Trying to recall my thoughts.

Revis pick: I think I wanted the Jets to stay pat (or even trade down a bit to gain another decent pick) and take a guard like Grubbs at the bottom of round 1. Moore, at the time, was just ok and Kendall - while still good - was winding down his career soon. (They decided to get no guard and still cut Kendall at the end of the summer. Shrewd.). But while I don't remember exactly, I don't think I liked the idea of trading up for Revis before the draft, when we were discussing it. To be fair, though, I never saw Revis play (not even highlight clips), and was just going by draft guides/values written by others. I knew I just wanted a demon OL so good it could make any just-ok RB look really good. Also because I liked a RBBC approach better, and since RBs can get hurt so easily didn't want just one (non-QB) injury to so horribly weaken an offense. Thought it was easier to build a line across the board with resources than to use those same resources to keep swinging and missing until we found one RB who was so all-that. A RB who can get injured so easily at that.

Gholston pick: I legitimately never saw him play but did remember seeing him climb up from being around the #20 pick to around the #5 pick as a prospect. Most likely I rah-rah/go-team rationalized it after we did take him, but I know - especially when trading up to get him was thought to be an option - I didn't like the idea of taking a player that high and moving him to a new position instead of using him at the position that made him such a high pick prospect in the first place. I do remember I didn't like DMC because I thought he was built to frailly and looked like he had a WRs body. Seemed like all the big play clips were of him using his elite speed to make the most of an opening that was cleared (some of them were huge, huge holes). As an every-down RB, which is what he'd be if you take him that high, I didn't like him and thought he would get injured a lot. In hindsight, though we didn't have a chance at DMC anyway, and even though I was right about him getting hurt all the time, he still would have been an infinitely better pick than Gholston anyway. The move to make was to pay the ransom for Ryan and save us from the players we did take with those picks (Gholston and Sanchez), and we'd have change left over in the form of the 2nd round pick we also used to trade up for Sanchez as well as a mountain of cap space available by paying one top-5 draft pick instead of two. 

Good gawd dude.  Memory like a trap.  I barely remember what I ate yesterday.  I just know there was none left when I finish.  

Archived