Observations besides for Sanchez sucking

Obrien2Toon

So we all know Sanchez was bad, but what else did we see. Here's some things I noticed.

Pouha was being pushed back a yard or 2 on every play. Shocked to find out he's 32, hopefuly he's just getting back into playing form and just didn't have a very short prime of his career.

Neither of the 2 rookie lineman have impressed. I don't think we get anyhing out of Wilkerson this year, and while Ellis has been alot better, I don't think he sees too much time in the Dline rotation unless someone gets hurt.

On that note, Ropati, Dixon, and MTV have been very, very good. And I think our depth on the Dline will be fine.

LBs all look good.

Cromartie is overrated. Would've prefered to give Aso 13 mil before giving this guy 8. Actually wish we would've moved on from Aso earlier and got Joseph. Cro is no better than average.

Also don't know what it is about Wilson, I guess the way to say is that he has poor football insticts.

Our Safeties our fine. Don't where all the we need safeties stuff came from on this site. It's one of our best and deepest positions.

Leonhard is underrated on here. Which is surprising for a small white guy, they're usually always overrated. But he's always around the ball.

Smith and Pool are solid, and I think Pool eventually takes over the starting spot with Smith moving to LB/S hybrid. And Lowery's great there for dime packages.

Anyway I see a 9-7 team.

So we all know Sanchez was bad, but what else did we see. Here's some things I noticed.

Pouha was being pushed back a yard or 2 on every play. Shocked to find out he's 32, hopefuly he's just getting back into playing form and just didn't have a very short prime of his career.

Neither of the 2 rookie lineman have impressed. I don't think we get anyhing out of Wilkerson this year, and while Ellis has been alot better, I don't think he sees too much time in the Dline rotation unless someone gets hurt.

On that note, Ropati, Dixon, and MTV have been very, very good. And I think our depth on the Dline will be fine.

LBs all look good.

Cromartie is overrated. Would've prefered to give Aso 13 mil before giving this guy 8. Actually wish we would've moved on from Aso earlier and got Joseph. Cro is no better than average.

Also don't know what it is about Wilson, I guess the way to say is that he has poor football insticts.

Our Safeties our fine. Don't where all the we need safeties stuff came from on this site. It's one of our best and deepest positions.

Leonhard is underrated on here. Which is surprising for a small white guy, they're usually always overrated. But he's always around the ball.

Smith and Pool are solid, and I think Pool eventually takes over the starting spot with Smith moving to LB/S hybrid. And Lowery's great there for dime packages.

Anyway I see a 9-7 team.

Disagree on 'Cro ... he's much better than average IMO.

Also, Strickland's played well in the preseason.

Interesting since he didn't play.

MTV started, not Pouha so this kind of contradicts your first statement, no?

Cro did look bad on D...but to say "Sanchez sucking" is a LITTLE harsh....we had a pure vanilla offense, not showing anything, He hit Holmes in the helmet and threw a laser th Holmes for the TD on a play where we lined up Holmes and Plax in tandem. If you were to say Eli sucked and is overated...I agree. The offense showed the wildcat and ran it well....Kerley is FAST and made me forget Brad WHO?. I thought both Wilkerson and Ellis have looked good [for rookies]. The preseason is just that ... a time to practice and not show scouts much....same as last year and the year before...Rex has a preseason plan BUT when the bell rings he [and his team] answers it loud and clear!!!!

Cro did look bad on D...but to say "Sanchez sucking" is a LITTLE harsh....we had a pure vanilla offense, not showing anything, He hit Holmes in the helmet and threw a laser th Holmes for the TD on a play where we lined up Holmes and Plax in tandem. If you were to say Eli sucked and is overated...I agree. The offense showed the wildcat and ran it well....Kerley is FAST and made me forget Brad WHO?. I thought both Wilkerson and Ellis have looked good [for rookies]. The preseason is just that ... a time to practice and not show scouts much....same as last year and the year before...Rex has a preseason plan BUT when the bell rings he [and his team] answers it loud and clear!!!!

Thats a very good post.

Agreed.. these are PRACTICE games coming off a short training camp. Let's start the season 3-1 before we start looking up to avoid the falling sky.

Wilkerson did not look impressive. And we were not generating consistent pressure to the QB. Our QB pressures baring a few exceptions are based on blitz designs and not individual skill.

But we should be better than 9-7. Reasons being think we have pretty strong running attack. I also think Wilkerson will get better as the season progresses and same goes for Ellis.

And plus as Sanchez gets more acquainted with new personnel out offense will get a lot better.

Wildcard being if our WR's can stay on the field.

all preseason so far, recap isn't only for last night.

Not really worried about Pouha, but just found out last night one post-game that he was 32. And wanted to mention that.

Well then, Sanchez didn't suck in week 2....

Wilkerson not impressive..I agree BUT for NO mini camp or time with coaches prior to preseason camp he is doing well...holds his own does not get pushed around a lot. As for our record...in the AFC East 5-1 with our only loss to NE in NE,,,, overall we will win between 12 and 14 games...I AM DRINKING THE REX COOLADE!!!!

LBs all look good.

Anyway I see a 9-7 team.

Sanchez was bad ? NO ints with defenders all over his WR's and a TD with 3 dropped passes and that means Sanchez did bad ??? Please explain . What I see once again is a horribly predictable Offense The Giants regularly cut off Sanchez throwing lanes on the slants as if they knew what was coming and the Giants Corners were all over our WR's like glue. This is the same old sh*t we've been watching for years and there is ONE common denominator. Things will not change and you can count on our offense taking a step back this year. Its really sad that we failed to get our QB some real weapons yet I guarantee he takes the brunt of the blame.

LBs all look good.

Anyway I see a 9-7 team.

Poor Pouha. He sucks even when he doesn't play.

Cromartie and Leonhard are both properly rated. Definitely. The hybrid you're talking about is just Rex bringing the SS up for the 46 alignment. In theory it's a 4th linebacker, but it's really just safety playing up in the box. Smith will see more time in this role because the rotation has shrunk for that specific part; that and he's also become a much better player, which is what likely affected the decision for the former. The secondary still needs a safety because none of these guys are really great all-around players, which would be fine in a normal defense; unfortunately in ours, we rely on the two of them just as heavily as our ILB's, which we're able to do because they're both elite. Our safeties, unfortunately, are not. And adding just one who's better than above-average as an all-around player, or non-niche guys, would do wonders.

I don't buy the analysis. I'm pretty sure that Pouha hasn't played for the past two weeks. I would base my opinion more on last year than the 1st quarter of the first preseason game.

Whatever you think of our safeties, we haven't seen much of Lowery there and Pool has looked like sh*t. Rutgers gives a pretty good analysis. Cromartie is a hell of a lot better than average. I would rather have Joseph, but did you see the guys the Giants trotted out there? Corey Webster is one of the top guys in league and he got victimized as bad as Cromartie. All while Sanchez was having what you properly termed a bad night. Wilson hasn't looked bad. I don't think his improvement has been enough to get excited about, but it was here.

Cromartie and Leonhard are both properly rated. Definitely. The hybrid you're talking about is just Rex bringing the SS up for the 46 alignment. In theory it's a 4th linebacker, but it's really just safety playing up in the box. Smith will see more time in this role because the rotation has shrunk for that specific part; that and he's also become a much better player, which is what likely affected the decision for the former. The secondary still needs a safety because none of these guys are really great all-around players, which would be fine in a normal defense; unfortunately in ours, we rely on the two of them just as heavily as our ILB's, which we're able to do because they're both elite. Our safeties, unfortunately, are not. And adding just one who's better than above-average as an all-around player, or non-niche guys, would do wonders.

Agree with all of this except the knock on Smith. He's not elite--you're right there, but he's becoming an above-average safety. I've been impressed with him. He seems to have turned a corner and I think he's a better safety than Leonard, who doesn't "stick" but grabs and drags a ball carrier. In the end I think we're both happy that Smith isn't teh suck and that he's grasped the system better since mid-season last year. We have solid safeties, very good to excellent backers and very good to excellent corners. Our OLBs are pedestrian, however and our D-line is not at all imposing. Wish we were better up front. but i guess thats what the run-stuffing backers and Eric Smith are for. There's the reason for Smith's contract, right there. Pool isn't starting over him this year if you ask me.

Agree with all of this except the knock on Smith. He's not elite--you're right there, but he's becoming an above-average safety. I've been impressed with him. He seems to have turned a corner and I think he's a better safety than Leonard, who doesn't "stick" but grabs and drags a ball carrier. In the end I think we're both happy that Smith isn't teh suck and that he's grasped the system better since mid-season last year. We have solid safeties, very good to excellent backers and very good to excellent corners. Our OLBs are pedestrian, however and our D-line is not at all imposing. Wish we were better up front. but i guess thats what the run-stuffing backers and Eric Smith are for. There's the reason for Smith's contract, right there. Pool isn't starting over him this year if you ask me.

Smith has a loooooong way to go to prove that what we've seen him do for a few games is the real Eric Smith. Calling him above average or even better than Leonhard is very premature. Now in all honesty I was one of the biggest Smith critics around prior to his run at the end of last season and into the playoffs, but I have since become cautiously optimistic that he's turned it around. That said, while he's looked better in more recent times for sure, he's still had a number of those trademark Eric Smith moments this preseason filled with blown coverages and a defensive player who finds himself down on the ground more than any other I've seen in the league (the latter particularly happening repeatedly just the other night). He's certainly shown flashes of being capable of playing at a higher level than he has throughout the earlier part of his career, but he's still got to show he can do it with at least some sense of consistency before he can really be counted on as a quality starter.

In this defense our DL will never be the sack exchange it is not built that way. Don't buy what the media is selling about not being able to sack the QB, Rex is all about pressure, pressure, and more pressure. Our saties, db's and lb's will have more ints! This Defense Is Different so wait and see!!!! It has been for the past two years!!!!!!

Sanchez wasn't amazing but he still played more efficiently than Manning. The fumble could have been avoided, but Manning threw 2 picks. Sanchez threw none. Sanchez threw a TD, Manning threw none. Manning had more yards, yes, but they only scored 1 FG. Our defense looked pretty good, and so did theirs. I kind of expected a low scoring game like that with the defense these 2 teams bring. Sanchez is like top 6 in every category this preseason, other than total yards. He didn't suck. Stop making threads with negative titles bashing our players, please.

I agree on Leonhard. That guy's intangibles and smarts are off the charts. He'd be the best player in the league at his position if only he was athletically gifted.

Also--anybody that managed to get Kerry Rhodes to throw a fit gets extra points.

Archived