Watching Woodhead dance and juke his way for 5+ yards....

Steveg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He never would have been used here the way he is in NE, and was behind Joe McKnight on the depth chart last year. At best he'd still be an undersized special teams player who hardly ever stepped on the field on offense.

Why?

Based on preseason, and the Boy's game doesn't look like there is any one better on the roster

Why?

Based on preseason, and the Boy's game doesn't look like there is any one better on the roster

No, based on regular season, plus a couple of preseasons. He played in the playoffs for us in 09.

I'd like to think of it this way. I like Woodhead...a lot. But he wasnt taking plays from LT and the Jets werent letting go of McKnight (who just helped win a game for the Jets).

Why?

Well the Jets and Pats have never used RBs in the same manner to begin with, going back for the past decade or so. They also clearly prefer very different types of RBs. And beyond that, whether you agree with it or not, even despite the preseason each had last year, Woodhead was still unable to pass McKnight on the depth chart. Not to mention, even before McKnight was around, Woodhead was here all of 2009 and still hardly saw the field on offense. There's no evidence to suggest whatsoever that was going to change, and just because he went to NE and had success in no way means that ever would have happened with the Jets. Sure it sucks that it had to be NE of all teams that he's having success at, but I'm not sure if he would've had that type of success anywhere else to be honest.

He never would have been used here the way he is in NE, and was behind Joe McKnight on the depth chart last year. At best he'd still be an undersized special teams player who hardly ever stepped on the field on offense.

Shame on the Jets for that....Woodhead showed nothing but a lot of talent in every preseason game he played with the Jets. The attitude of not giving a guy a chance because he wasn't drafted is BS.

Shame on the Jets for that....Woodhead showed nothing but a lot of talent in every preseason game he played with the Jets. The attitude of not giving a guy a chance because he wasn't drafted is BS.

I can certianly understand this mindset, but I think anyone who thinks the Jets missed out on having this same production out of Woodhead if only they kept him on the roster aren't being realistic. Like it or not, it just never would have happened.

Its done. Woodhead is gone. Can we get past this? I mean please no more woodhead or Gholston Threads. We won a game, let's focus on the Jags who are coming up rather than what we did wrong in the past. Can we get some good analysis on the Jets v. Jags? I mean what is next...an in depth analysis on the Joe Walton years? or a thread on why the Jets hired that jackoff, who the eagles had just let go, as head coach (I hated that dude and his schemes SUCKED as a coach....I will not name him but just know that he is the HC when we went 1-15....bastard).

LL

If the Pats had McKnight instead, we would be talking about his moves in this thread. The fact is the Pats do a better job of putting Woodhead in a position to succeed than we ever would have. McKnight is probably more talented and we can't find a way to get him the ball in the open field.

If the Pats had McKnight instead, we would be talking about his moves in this thread. The fact is the Pats do a better job of putting Woodhead in a position to succeed than we ever would have. McKnight is probably more talented and we can't find a way to get him the ball in the open field.

This. Its all about the system and the guy delivering the Football.

That Pats are head and shoulders above the Jets in both...but they still cant stop a nose bleed.

The beauty is, even though Woodhead got his dream and became someone in the Pats offense. The team that discarded him, also beat him in the playoffs.

SO, **** OFF WOODHEAD!!!

Agreed with Brookyln Jet, he's actually better than anyone we have... including Greene. You can say what you want about the system, he was earning yards on his own shiftiness. Combination of being so tiny and agile is just tough to deal with. This is another one of those "he's white, so all he has is 'grittiness'" things. I don't see how the word 'grittiness' can be used to undermine real stats.

You're kidding me right?

Bart Scott was originally a UDFA. To suggest that Rex Ryan, of all people, wouldn't give a chance to a guy based on that is not only moronic, it's downright false.

The Jets have several UDFAs on the roster, Brandon Moore, DeVito.

Woodhead isn't a Jet because he couldn't do what the Jets needed him to do.

This. Its all about the system and the guy delivering the Football.

That Pats are head and shoulders above the Jets in both...but they still cant stop a nose bleed.

The beauty is, even though Woodhead got his dream and became someone in the Pats offense. The team that discarded him, also beat him in the playoffs.

SO, **** OFF WOODHEAD!!!

For a guy who is still too short to ride the big coasters at Six Flags he does pretty good running the ball.

Agreed with Brookyln Jet, he's actually better than anyone we have... including Greene. You can say what you want about the system, he was earning yards on his own shiftiness. Combination of being so tiny and agile is just tough to deal with. This is another one of those "he's white, so all he has is 'grittiness'" things. I don't see how the word 'grittiness' can be used to undermine real stats.

Max,

We REALLY need negative rep.

You're kidding me right?

Bart Scott was originally a UDFA. To suggest that Rex Ryan, of all people, wouldn't give a chance to a guy based on that is not only moronic, it's downright false.

The Jets have several UDFAs on the roster, Brandon Moore, DeVito.

Woodhead isn't a Jet because he couldn't do what the Jets needed him to do.

What did the Jets need him to do? Also, I was comparing him to the "drafted" Joe McKnight.

What did the Jets need him to do? Also, I was comparing him to the "drafted" Joe McKnight.

So this:

The attitude of not giving a guy a chance because he wasn't drafted is BS.

only applied to McKnight and you didn't mean in general? Even if you only meant it in this one scenario it still doesn't hold true. The Jets have three starters who were UDFAs. The notion that Woodhead couldn't get the gig solely because McKnight was drafted and he wasn't is ridiculous. McKnight has 1000% more upside than Woodhead.

The second the Pats are able to find a more talented back who can play Woodhead's role, he's history. If he lasts this season, he'll be gone next year.

So this:

only applied to McKnight and you didn't mean in general? Even if you only meant it in this one scenario it still doesn't hold true. The Jets have three starters who were UDFAs. The notion that Woodhead couldn't get the gig solely because McKnight was drafted and he wasn't is ridiculous. McKnight has 1000% more upside than Woodhead.

The second the Pats are able to find a more talented back who can play Woodhead's role, he's history. If he lasts this season, he'll be gone next year.

Based on what I've seen from both players in a Jets uniform, Woodhead is the more productive player. I couldn't hope more for McKnight to pan out to be great and the better player. We'll see...

Based on what I've seen from both players in a Jets uniform, Woodhead is the more productive player. I couldn't hope more for McKnight to pan out to be great and the better player. We'll see...

You've only really seen Woodhead play garbage time against truck drivers as a Jet, but OK, you know more than the Jets FO and coaching staff, pal.

You've only really seen Woodhead play garbage time against truck drivers as a Jet, but OK, you know more than the Jets FO and coaching staff, pal.

I certainly don't like seeing him in the Pats backfield. Someone on the Pats coaching staff saw something. Turned out to be a diamond in the ruff so far for them.

I certainly don't like seeing him in the Pats backfield. Someone on the Pats coaching staff saw something. Turned out to be a diamond in the ruff so far for them.

Yeah, they saw that they could get mileage out of him in *their* system. Woodcock does a good job for them but would be unlikely to have the same impact with us, or most other teams for that matter. No guarantee that he would even contribute if he were still with the Jets. What's done is done, so I don't lose sleep over it.

...almost everytime he gets the ball, drives me nuts. Letting him go, especially to the Pats, may have been the biggest bonehead move by the Jets.

I will say this. In the Jets offense Woodhead did not fit. The Jets running game is designed around physical running backs. Woodhead did not fit into the Jets offense. Plain and simple. Yeah it sucks that he is in New England, but he is a perfect fit for a spread out finesse offense.

Get over it, he was not going to have an impact with the Jets.

It comes down to this. If McKnight is not drafted Woodhead is in a JETS jersey. As simple as that.

Uhh wrong. Woodhead was dropped so that Clowney could rejoin the team. Blame him. Besided Joey Mack is a better special teamer than Woodhead. Lest we forget that Miami game where Danny blew contain TWICE

He would have made a nice receiver out of the back field and also would have been nice in the slot at times as well. But our Offensive Coordinator has no earthy Idea how to work back up players into the line up to keep palyers fresh.

While we see more and more of this around the league we still run the same crappy a$$ offensive system.

Joe Mcknight and Powell can both catch the ball we will be lucky to see them get 20 touches this entire year unless someone gets hurt or LT wears down . Shotty has no idea how to keep players fresh and rotate players in and out of the game.

If I were ranking AFC East RB's it would go something like this:

1. Benjarvus Green-Ellis

2. Fred Jackson

3. Shonn Greene

4. LaDainian Tomlinson

5. Reggie Bush

6. CJ Spiller

7. Danny Woodhead

Jury's still out: Daniel Thomas, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Joe McKnight, Bilal Powell

Woodhead is nothing special; just a nice little change-of-pace back. The system and New England's offensive line ARE special. it amazes me how quickly we forget how good Shonn Greene is late in the season. Anyone who thinks Woodhead can do what Greene does for us is borderline retarded.

Advanced metrics suggest Green-Ellis was the only New England RB that kept defenses honest last season (3rd in the NFL in DYAR). If Green-Ellis gets hurt, Woodhead has ZERO ability to carry the load, and at that time, I'd assume we'd see more of Vereen and Ridley and the Patriots would be in RBBC mode.

If I were ranking AFC East RB's it would go something like this:

1. Benjarvus Green-Ellis

2. Fred Jackson

3. Shonn Greene

4. LaDainian Tomlinson

5. Reggie Bush

6. CJ Spiller

7. Danny Woodhead

Jury's still out: Daniel Thomas, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Joe McKnight, Bilal Powell

Woodhead is nothing special; just a nice little change-of-pace back. The system and New England's offensive line ARE special. it amazes me how quickly we forget how good Shonn Greene is late in the season. Anyone who thinks Woodhead can do what Greene does for us is borderline retarded.

Advanced metrics suggest Green-Ellis was the only New England RB that kept defenses honest last season (3rd in the NFL in DYAR). If Green-Ellis gets hurt, Woodhead has ZERO ability to carry the load, and at that time, I'd assume we'd see more of Vereen and Ridley and the Patriots would be in RBBC mode.

I dont think anyone is comparing Danny Woodhead to a starting back but its nice to have a stable of backs who can come in the game and perform . When have you seen that happens here ? All we see is Greene and LT no one else gets a chance and we never give those guys a break. I would love to see more of a back rotation to keep them fresh . Woodhead is the type of back who can give the starter a breather and be effective in both running and catching the football thats certainly not a liability to have around. Look at him for what he is and yes he is very effective at what he is. Most of it does have to do with the system because they run a pretty damn good and smart offensive system in NE

He would have made a nice receiver out of the back field and also would have been nice in the slot at times as well. But our Offensive Coordinator has no earthy Idea how to work back up players into the line up to keep palyers fresh.

While we see more and more of this around the league we still run the same crappy a$$ offensive system.

Joe Mcknight and Powell can both catch the ball we will be lucky to see them get 20 touches this entire year unless someone gets hurt or LT wears down . Shotty has no idea how to keep players fresh and rotate players in and out of the game.

This has to be a ******* joke, no? The little piece of sh*t was hand picked by the Jets FO and he elected to got to the Jets when the entire league had a free shot at him. Still, the Jets don't know how to evaluate talent. Then we are supposed to blame Schottenheimer for not using him in the slot when he the one that put the little sh*t in #83 and used him in the slot. Your QB has trouble looking past his first option, it's not like he was going to be locating that midget enough to make a difference.

What ******* player did Schottenheimer wear down? LT? The only backup the guy had was the same McKnight everybody is maligning here and McKnight was inactive most of the time. He kept Thomas Jones sorry a$$ fresh. The team carries 3,000 defensive backs. There are no back ups for him to rotate in. They carried only 3 WR most of last season and Cotchery was hurt most of the time. The reason they cut Woodhead was because with Holmes suspended they needed another WR for the game.

You want to blame somebody for Woodhead being cut, blame Rex or Westhoff. They are ones that carried all those other players instead. Cumberland was kept on the roster all year and barely active. They liked these players better. Get over it. Good teams cut good players.

Archived