Mark Sanchez Is What He Is, (and that's all that he is)

T0mShane

Plax was open for what would have been a 50 yard TD down the sideline. Sanchez saw him but opted to run for a sure 10 years. It was a 3rd down and he took the 1st down that was sitting in front of him.

Very well be a function of him not trusting the O-line and playing a little scared. Hopefully the O-line gets better as the year go's on. For now I'm ok with accepting that as art of the issues.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Every QB I have ever watched in pro football makes throws "that pros should not make". And they have made them a lot later than their 2nd game in their third year. Sanchez is fine and he will get better. How much better, I don't know. But he is already good enough to win a SB. If this o-line would get their fat azzes in gear and play to their ability and give Sanchez more time and open holes for Greene, no one is beating this Jets team.

Thanks for the (as always) well-reasoned rebuttal, Jason. Beurlein was probably a little harsh. Agree with everything you've said here. I can't imagine Tannenbaum not being painted into a corner with Sanchez's contract when it comes due, can you? He's going to be the entrenched starter on a very good team, so it's not like the Jets can't pay him, but at the same time, can they give him Kolb/Vick money if he's still playing at this level? Could be interesting.

Its going to be impossible for them to not give him that kind of money. Kolb got around 12.5M a year for doing nothing except being a backup with a name. I think Vicks real money is around 14-15M/year and he is always injured and had exactly 1 good year in the last few years. Its going to be difficult. Roethlisberger and Manning got around 15M per season for winning a SB. I have a feeling when it comes down to a new deal for Sanchez, which could happen next year for cap relief (though they can just dump money into 2013 rather than extending), alot of the deal will be based on givebacks in terms of the ease of escaping the deal. Kolb can pretty much be cut after this season if he bombs. 8M I think would be the cap hit, which is a tough pill to swallow but its still an escape. The Vick deal has plenty of wiggle room to get away.

Plax was open for what would have been a 50 yard TD down the sideline. Sanchez saw him but opted to run for a sure 10 years. It was a 3rd down and he took the 1st down that was sitting in front of him.

He misses a lot of open guys. A lot. Its a shame. He got trigger shy after the 2nd pick. You could see it. He was second guessing every throw. Had at least 4 passes he pumped faked and then didnt throw it all.

he doesn't make decisions quickly, until he does he'll never be elite..

THat being said, the guy on the other side might be the worst qb i've ever seen. Obv sanchex is much better then him

Its interesting, I think he does make quick decisions and thats the problem. He quickly decides whether he's going to throw it, or not. When he's at his best, is in the 3 step drop, 1 or 2 reads and get the ball out quick. Thats what they were doing on the first drive.

For example, he decides way to quick to check down. He decides way to quick to fire when he could have held it a second longer to get a wide open receiver Ex: the play action where Plax was coming free up the seam at the Goalline. Brady loves that play. But he holds the ball about 2 seconds longer to wait for that WR to release to the back of the endzone and its literally unstoppable. Sanchez threw that ball before Plax even took a single step and he had all the time in the world. Should have been an easy TD.

I think the problem is, he decides to go certain places before the play develops. Hence the errand throws and missing WR's, etc.

Sanchez has improved over last year, I see no reason why he can't continue to improve. Right now, he's completing 63% of his passes at a clip of 7.6 ypa. That's a 10% improvement in completion percentage, and a full yard improvement over his career ypa.

Yes, he still makes dumb throws sometimes. Yes, he's still very inconsistent. But these are correctable items for a 24 year old QB. Historically, junior QB's coming out early struggle and fail in the NFL. Sanchez came out inexperienced by junior standards. He's certainly struggled at times, but you can't say a QB who's been to back to back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons has failed by any stretch.

It's as if the posters who give up on young players the fastest think theyre going to get extra credit around here, "look how smart I am, I knew Ducasse was a bust before I ever heard of him!"

It's tough to read after a blowout win.

I think it's time to close the books on Sanchez's alleged potential to be an elite QB. He is what he is--a streaky, inaccurate, tough little dude. That's it. No QB in the league has a more comfortable situation to play in--an elite defense and special teams guaranteeing him great field position and opportunities, to go along with a good OL and high-end receiving corps. And, yet, the offense is a consistent ****fest. We can blame Scottenheimer, sure, but it's Sanchez out there still throwing INT's that rookies shouldn't even be throwing and missing receivers that rookies shouldn't miss, in Year Three.

This is not to say that Sanchez isn't a good QB. Obviously, you can win with him. But, we have to stop deluding ourselves into believing that there's some great, as-yet untapped pool of talent under the surface here. He's not, nor will he ever be, a top-10 QB. He's basically the reincarnation of Steve Beurlein.

Mark Sanchez is 2 and 0...PERIOD.

It's ironic that a fanbase so affected by years of losing, are so free to criticize a Jets QB who has the best regular season winning percentage in franchise history as well as the most postseason wins.

For Jets QBs that started at least 32 games (2 full seasons), this is how it breaks down.

Mark Sanchez - 21-12 (.656)

Chad Pennington - 32-29 (.524)

Vinny Testerverde - 35-26 (.573)

Boomer Esiason - 15-27 (.357)

Ken O'Brien - 50-55 (.476)

Richard Todd - 42-51 (.451)

Joe Namath - 60-61 (.495)

Until the Jets start getting a losing record under Sanchez, then I'll start killing him. For now, I just watch them keep winning and hope he continues to improve.

Sanchez has improved over last year, I see no reason why he can't continue to improve. Right now, he's completing 63% of his passes at a clip of 7.6 ypa. That's a 10% improvement in completion percentage, and a full yard improvement over his career ypa.

Yes, he still makes dumb throws sometimes. Yes, he's still very inconsistent. But these are correctable items for a 24 year old QB. Historically, junior QB's coming out early struggle and fail in the NFL. Sanchez came out inexperienced by junior standards. He's certainly struggled at times, but you can't say a QB who's been to back to back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons has failed by any stretch.

It's as if the posters who give up on young players the fastest think theyre going to get extra credit around here, "look how smart I am, I knew Ducasse was a bust before I ever heard of him!"

Well said.

Only Jet fans kill their players after a blowout victory.

This is hardly true. It's getting increasingly weird to see people getting accused of having some sort of agenda when they point out that Sanchez hasn't played well. He hasn't played well. Period. People are allowed to say this.

He misses a lot of open guys. A lot. Its a shame. He got trigger shy after the 2nd pick. You could see it. He was second guessing every throw. Had at least 4 passes he pumped faked and then didnt throw it all.

Its interesting, I think he does make quick decisions and thats the problem. He quickly decides whether he's going to throw it, or not. When he's at his best, is in the 3 step drop, 1 or 2 reads and get the ball out quick. Thats what they were doing on the first drive.

For example, he decides way to quick to check down. He decides way to quick to fire when he could have held it a second longer to get a wide open receiver Ex: the play action where Plax was coming free up the seam at the Goalline. Brady loves that play. But he holds the ball about 2 seconds longer to wait for that WR to release to the back of the endzone and its literally unstoppable. Sanchez threw that ball before Plax even took a single step and he had all the time in the world. Should have been an easy TD.

I think the problem is, he decides to go certain places before the play develops. Hence the errand throws and missing WR's, etc.

Hmm... what i'm saying is that it take him too long to decide if someone is open or not and he's generally slow going through his progressions.. he is starting to checkdown more either by a clock in his head or coach instruction, but he def doesn't see the whole field

This is hardly true. It's getting increasingly weird to see people getting accused of having some sort of agenda when they point out that Sanchez hasn't played well. He hasn't played well. Period. People are allowed to say this.

Of course people are allowed to say that, just as other people are allowed to say the first set of people have an agenda.

That's what opinion is.

Hmm... what i'm saying is that it take him too long to decide if someone is open or not and he's generally slow going through his progressions.. he is starting to checkdown more either by a clock in his head or coach instruction, but he def doesn't see the whole field

I think he sees the whole field. The problem is that he just doesn't notice that there are other guys in opposing uniforms on it as well.

It's ironic that a fanbase so affected by years of losing, are so free to criticize a Jets QB who has the best regular season winning percentage in franchise history as well as the most postseason wins.

For Jets QBs that started at least 32 games (2 full seasons), this is how it breaks down.

Until the Jets start getting a losing record under Sanchez, then I'll start killing him. For now, I just watch them keep winning and hope he continues to improve.

Greatest QB analysis evar.

You win. Sanchez >>>> Namath.

He's played well, he just hasn't played consistently well. So far he's played well enough for the Jets to be one of only seven 2-0 teams in the league. His numbers are on par with (or better than) all the young QB's he's generally (unfavorably) compared to. Ryan, Freeman, Flacco... Much better than everybody's darling, Sam Bradford...

He's not Tom Brady. I guess we just need to deal.

I just had this same argument this morning with a football fan, dont know who his team is. Pretty much tried to get me to admit that I would be better off with any QB from the NFC South and that half the league has a better QB than the Jets.

I aint buying it. We have given Sanchize more liberties so far this year. He is testing the waters to see what he can get away with imo. Let him throw a couple of picks for trying to put a ball where it shouldnt go. Let him learn early this year, what he can get away with. He stares his receivers down? never heard that before. I heard his completion % sucks. He starts slow. Now that he has a game with a high completion % and a faster start, he is mediocre because he stares his receivers down?

Maybe it is just me being a homer but I think he can make a big jump this year. Lets give him more than 2 games to get this thing rolling. BTW, we won 31-3 and we are 2-0....

My OCD is going crazy without this organized... lol

1. Mark Sanchez - 21-12 (.656)
  2. Vinny Testerverde - 35-26 (.573)
  3. Chad Pennington - 32-29 (.524)
  4. Joe Namath - 60-61 (.495)
  5. Ken O'Brien - 50-55 (.476)
  6. Richard Todd - 42-51 (.451)
  7. Boomer Esiason - 15-27 (.357)

Never said that. But if Sanchez wins a title, he will be. :biggrin:

On paper... but not in the minds of bitter old JETS fans who hang on to a small moment in 40 years of torture.

I agree with almost all of this. Sanchez knows where he is throwing the ball as soon as he breaks the huddle 80-90% of the time. I think he has two options in his head---Target A and Tomlinson if Target A absolutely is not there and his pocket is breaking down. If the pocket doesnt break down I think he sometimes will wait until his target gets open. This is definitely one reason why I dont think the Jets should be using those trip formations with him like they used on the 2nd pick. Mathis is able to break off his guy and make a play on the football whereas if you have Mason on the other side of the field the interception there probably does not happen. I understand what the play is designed to do and if Sanchez is more patient he either has Mason wide open down the field or he has Mason draw Mathis and possibly a safety deep, but he isnt poised enough yet to do that and you end up with a secondary coverage guy right there who can gamble on the ball.

all I know is I'm seeing a guy get hit on every pass play. He almost got killed on a 3 step drop because of inept play from our starting RT. I wonder how he'd look with all the time that say Tom Brady gets back there. He's 2-0 playing with the best defense in the game this year-i like what we have-IF we can keep him healthy.

all I know is I'm seeing a guy get hit on every pass play. He almost got killed on a 3 step drop because of inept play from our starting RT. I wonder how he'd look with all the time that say Tom Brady gets back there. He's 2-0 playing with the best defense in the game this year-i like what we have-IF we can keep him healthy.

+1.

The Sanchez bashing on this board is absolutely amazing to me.

Well said, and the bolded is something you know I agree with you on (see: McKnight, Joe) and is one of the must ridiculous things about this board sometimes.

The funniest thing about it is the thing he's been by far most heavily criticized for throughout his career and particularly this offseason, has been his completion percentage, but now that he's shown a drastic improvement in that area, it's suddenly not all that important anymore apparently. The kid is far from great at this point in his career, but I feel like people forget he's just starting his third year in the league. At this point in their careers Aaron Rodgers was still riding the pine for another year and Philip Rivers was playing for the very first time.

See, I dont think he's letting plays develop fully. He wants to get the ball out fast because when holds it, he seems to be at his worst. When the ball is coming out fast, he's typically playing well. He knows that and I think thats why he decides who's open quickly and rushes to the check down rb/te now.

In terms of seeing the whole field, he doesnt even try to. Thats my point. He wants the ball out so damn quick that you cant possibly survey the whole field. Thats why you'll see on some plays guys break free down field but he's already zero'd in on the receiver nearest to him/check down.

I dunno, he's a frustrating player. First drive, he was perfect. Next drive, first throw...pick. Then we get a drive we came up short, Holmes ran his route too short...but Mark delivered a nice ball, punt. Next drive, kids perfect...would have like to seen him throw on 3rd 2 but we ran Greene into Mangolds a$$ for 1 yard and settle for the FG. Next drive, was just weird...some really weird playing calling. Pass in the flats to Connor, reverse with Cro, penalty first and 25, pass in the flats to Mulligan. LT up the gut. 3rd and long....Sanchez throws a head scratcher...locked on Holmes, Mathis read his eyes the whole way.

Then he was gun shy the rest of the day. My brother kept saying, he looks like he went out and partied to hard last night. lol

I dont believe anyone said Sanchez was going to be the next Dan Marino when he was drafted, his profile was a gutsy competitor& a leader with an average arm. Thats what he is, I would prefer a Jim Kelly type who throws 400 yrds. per game & 3 touchdowns, but Sanchez will never be that guy. Hes more of a nickel & dime down the field mixed with runs, but I like his never say die attitude. I think alot of Jet fans were a little dillusional about him, but I would take him over alot of QBs in the league. We could have Neil O Donell & Bubby Brister back! J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

The kid is far from great at this point in his career, but I feel like people forget he's just starting his third year in the league. At this point in their careers Aaron Rodgers was still riding the pine for another year and Philip Rivers was playing for the very first time.

Brees. Manning. Plenty of Qb's had to pay their due's before winning the big one. Sanchez is going to do it in his 3rd season.

Brees. Manning. Plenty of Qb's had to pay their due's before winning the big one. Sanchez is going to do it in his 3rd season.

Oh yeah, the list certainly goes on, but I just find it particularly amusing that the two guys generally considered the best young QBs in the game hadn't done a damn thing in their careers when they were in the league as long as Sanchez currently is.

Archived