What will our RB depth look like next year?

Midget Love 20

Will we add a RB in 2012?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming LT doesn't come back...what will our RB situation look like next year?

• No additions...keep who we have (Greene, McKnight and Powell)
    • Add FA RB to start (Foster, Forte, Benson, BenJarvis, Grant)
    • Draft a RB in the 1st
    • Draft a RB in the 2nd-3rd
    • Draft a RB in the 4th-7th

Not that I'm saying that this season is over by any means...but what I'm curious to see what people are thinking when it comes to what we're going to do at RB moving forward. There are def high risks/rewards to throwing monster contracts at guys like Forte or Foster because they are dynamic players but who knows, but most importantly good RBs are products of great O-line play.

VOTE AWAY!

I think it is way too early to tell. Near the end of the season they will have more information on whether Powell can be counted on for carries in the NFL and if Tomlinson is going to want to stick around and/or have anything left in the tank. I think they have brought in some interesting UFA backs, so I don't think a high level guy is necessary at all, but they do tend to like low and mid-round picks at RB.

I'm in love with the idea of Matt Forte becoming a Jet. He's currently 25 years of age and can do it all as a running back. 5.3 average yards per carry with 36 receptions coming out of the backfield. He's Chicago's entire offense. If the Bears allow this kid to become a free agent, I'd love for the Jets to go all in. We have a developing franchise QB in Sanchez, we need to surround our quarterback with elite talent, especially at the RB position. Forte and Greene would make for an amazing backfield tandem. I'd also break the bank of both Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson. But honestly, I'm not sure any of these RB's even hit the FA market without first getting signed long term or hit with the franchise tag.

Speaking of free agents, I understand Mario Williams is 26 and has been placed on IR, but I take Mario Williams over all of the above. But yeah, I'd be thrilled with a back such as either Forte, Peterson or Foster. I do believe Tanny has something up his sleeve, because the Jets are sitting on millions of avaliable cap space.

I'd be shocked if we had any different RB's from this year to next.

I don't know if they are going to re-sign LT. I personally wouldn't mind if he came back for another year. He's a great 3rd down back, IMO. I do think McKnight needs more touches. We need more speed when running the ball.

I'm in love with the idea of Matt Forte becoming a Jet. He's currently 25 years of age and can do it all as a running back. 5.3 average yards per carry with 36 receptions coming out of the backfield. He's Chicago's entire offense. If the Bears allow this kid to become a free agent, I'd love for the Jets to go all in. We have a developing franchise QB in Sanchez, we need to surround our quarterback with elite talent, especially at the RB position. Forte and Greene would make for an amazing backfield tandem. I'd also break the bank of both Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson. But honestly, I'm not sure any of these RB's even hit the FA market without first getting signed long term or hit with the franchise tag.

Speaking of free agents, I understand Mario Williams is 26 and has been placed on IR, but I take Mario Williams over all of the above. But yeah, I'd be thrilled with a back such as either Forte, Peterson or Foster. I do believe Tanny has something up his sleeve, because the Jets are sitting on millions of avaliable cap space.

AP signed a monster contract with the Vikes a few weeks after CJ2K broke a deal with the Titans. Forte would be a great addition but would demand a ton of guaranteed $ and teams in need of a solid #1 (Cincy, Detroit, Chicago, Miami, Cleveland) and have the $ to spend on a guy then it would be a lot easier said than done. In recent contract negotiations (Hillis, Forte, AP, CJ, etc.) RBs and their agents are no dummies and want to get paid in guaranteed money the minute they produce before injury or their values take a hit. If Hillis does not extend with the Browns he could be a decent addition yet more affordable than Forte or Foster if they hit the open market. Although he's not much of a change-of-pace back from Greene he's a bruiser who could make a real nasty ground and pound 1-2 punch with McKnight as the 3.

With all the running back by committees in the NFL it's not a bad thing to have a lot of depth at the RB position. Next year could be the perfect time to draft a OL in the 2nd round (not a project player but potential starting RT or G) and trading up into the early 3rd for a RB to slash Greene. Next year Greene will be entering into his 4th year, McKnight his 3rd and will serve as the litmus test to see whether or not Greene will stick after his rookie deal expires.

I absolutely agree. On Forte that is. He is amazing and doesn't leave yds on the field. he has great vision and will also lay the pop on the end of the run. Greene is not impressing me as much as I want him to work out. I really don't see Forte hitting the FA market though.

I would love to see the Jets go for a first rd RB next year. It's been a long time since we've done that and quite frankly I think it's time we got some real talent at that very important position.

I think the Jets are gonna wanna use whatever resources they have this offseason - money, draft picks, trade chips - to shore up the offensive line (RT!), WR corp (Plaxico), LB corp (a pass rushing OLB to replace Thomas seems to me to be the Jets' top priority) and the defensive backfield. I'd be very surprised if the Jets used their first draft pick on something other than a WR, OLB or Safety.

Always draft/sign a RB or two in the offseason...I'm thinking Matt Forte. It agrees with Queens, but it'd be a really smart move for the offense.

Forte would be amazing, but I'd be kind of pissed about signing him. Since Rex got here they've spent a bunch of mid round draft picks on running backs. Greene has had his moments and McKnight is promising but that's a poor allocation of resources if they have to go out and pay top dollar for the franchise back.

That's funny. I see almost no chance that Greene isn't back What his role will be in another matter, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back.

The reason I think there's a chance he could be gone is simply that McKnight and Powell are absolute locks and LT is as good as gone. There's no way they'll trust a Greene/McKnight/Powell depth chart unless they have a lot of confidence in McKnight or Powell stepping in as a legit starter, so I imagine they'll be bringing in another player, and I'm not sure they'll want to carry 4 RBs again next year. If they want to stick with 3, I think Greene ends up the odd man out unless he seriously turns things around by the end of the year. Plus they could probably get a little something (granted, not a lot) in return for Greene.

The reason I think there's a chance he could be gone is simply that McKnight and Powell are absolute locks and LT is as good as gone. There's no way they'll trust a Greene/McKnight/Powell depth chart unless they have a lot of confidence in McKnight or Powell stepping in as a legit starter, so I imagine they'll be bringing in another player, and I'm not sure they'll want to carry 4 RBs again next year. If they want to stick with 3, I think Greene ends up the odd man out unless he seriously turns things around by the end of the year. Plus they could probably get a little something (granted, not a lot) in return for Greene.

That is the only reason I could see him leaving. You don't let RFAs that have talent go. I laugh at people counting on Powell when they won't count on Greene. Greene has been a mild disappointment. Powell has done absolutely nothing. Hell, McKnight has done very little and nothing at RB. I'm sure that Greene will be back. I'd say about 90%,

That is the only reason I could see him leaving. You don't let RFAs that have talent go. I laugh at people counting on Powell when they won't count on Greene. Greene has been a mild disappointment. Powell has done absolutely nothing. Hell, McKnight has done very little and nothing at RB. I'm sure that Greene will be back. I'd say about 90%,

Well I definitely think it would be predicated on the team bringing in a guy they feel very confident in to start over both McKnight and Powell, either through FA or a high pick they're in love with in the draft. I certainly don't disagree on Powell, but I think this team is far more likely to move on from Greene before they do Powell, and like I said, part of it is a matter of how long they really plan on carrying 4 RBs.

Forte is a hell of a back, I remember Mangini and our staff looking at him during the senior bowl and eyeing him a lot during the draft. However, the guy gets a lot of his yards off of screens and non-between-the-tackles type plays. I just have a feeling he would be entirely misused on our offense and go completely wasted.

Forte is a hell of a back, I remember Mangini and our staff looking at him during the senior bowl and eyeing him a lot during the draft. However, the guy gets a lot of his yards off of screens and non-between-the-tackles type plays. I just have a feeling he would be entirely misused on our offense and go completely wasted.

Well, first and foremost I forgot Adrian Peterson signed long term and in regards to Forte, he'd dominate behind an offensive line led by Mangold and Ferguson. Put Forte in our backfield, and he'd improve our entire offense. He's also take alot of pressure off of Sanchez. With a talent such as Forte, he could never become a complete waste, Shotty Jr would love to get his hands on a RB such as this. He'd become a great Jet but I believe it's all for not, I can't see how Chicago lets him walk without signing him long term or sticking him with the franchise tag.

LT had 52 receptions coming out of the backfield last year, only Edwards and Keller had more receptions than Tomlinson, that's all Tomlinson did was catch out of the backfield, so please, lets stop acting like Shotty Jr doesn't know what he's doing and wouldn't have major success with a RB such as Forte coming out of the backfield.

Well, first and foremost I forgot Adrian Peterson signed long term and in regards to Forte, he'd dominate behind an offensive line led by Mangold and Ferguson. Put Forte in our backfield, and he'd improve our entire offense. He's also take alot of pressure off of Sanchez. With a talent such as Forte, he could never become a complete waste, Shotty Jr would love to get his hands on a RB such as this. He'd become a great Jet but I believe it's all for not, I can't see how Chicago lets him walk without signing him long term or sticking him with the franchise tag.

True, it's hard to see Chicago letting him go when he's the sole reason their offense is moving. Although, I will admit Cutler has played well his last two games.

Regardless, if we were to blow our cap space on any player this off-season it should, with no equivocations, be Mario Williams. It's a no brainer, I just see absolutely no way that the Texans let him leave. It would just be a perfect signing on our part though, replacing the pass-rushing weakness we've had since Abe left for a bona-fide superstar. Would be excellent.

Regardless, if we were to blow our cap space on any player this off-season it should, with no equivocations, be Mario Williams. It's a no brainer, I just see absolutely no way that the Texans let him leave. It would just be a perfect signing on our part though, replacing the pass-rushing weakness we've had since Abe left for a bona-fide superstar. Would be excellent.

My thoughts exactly. Running backs come a dime a dozen. A pass rusher such as Williams doesn't come all that often. As long as he can recover from this injury, it'll become a Rex Ryan dream come true if Tanny could find a way to land Mario Williams. It'll be insane, but yeah, I can't see him leaving the Texans either.

Forte would be amazing, but I'd be kind of pissed about signing him. Since Rex got here they've spent a bunch of mid round draft picks on running backs. Greene has had his moments and McKnight is promising but that's a poor allocation of resources if they have to go out and pay top dollar for the franchise back.

Yes well they'll just have to deal with that. The best way to do that is to plug the hole with a durable, proven talent like Forte. This offense could reeeeeeally use a back who can stay on the field, catch passes, and protect the QB (by running the ball well enough and being a good pass protector).

I don't think the Jets really see McKnight as a true RB anyway (he's a ST, a DB, a pass catcher...)....Powell is a #3 back...Greene could be a #2 back...then there's Forte.

Archived