Cowher and Gruden interested in Miami

Integrity28

Report: Cowher, Gruden interested in Fins job

1314.jpg

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports ex-Steelers coach Bill Cowher and ex-Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden have "quietly planted seeds" that they're open to a return to coaching, specifically in Miami.

Ex-Dolphins QB and current CBS studio analyst Dan Marino has reportedly been relaying to team management that Cowher is "geared up for a return." Cowher is close with ex-Chiefs GM Carl Peterson, who has been a consultant of Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. Despite his new contract with ESPN, Gruden has reportedly told "more than a few folks" in Miami that he'll be ready for a return to the sidelines in 2012.

Gruden... really? Hahaha... ******* guy gave his first interview on MNF vs. the Jets.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because Gruden was so good in Tampa. He won a SB with a team that was knocking on the door for a few years before he got there, then fell flat on his face after that. Not to mention he always seems to alienate his players. And Cowher outside of 05, Cowher was the definition of choke artist.

Because Gruden was so good in Tampa. He won a SB with a team that was knocking on the door for a few years before he got there, then fell flat on his face after that. Not to mention he always seems to alienate his players. And Cowher outside of 05, Cowher was the definition of choke artist.
Both would be better than Sparano. Though convinced Gruden has NO IDEA who anybody is other than calling him THIS GUY.

Honestly, I would stay away from that franchise. They have absolutely zero bright spots besides Jake Long and maybe Vonta Davis. Everyone else on that team doesn't deserve to be in the NFL.

And very possibly Andrew Luck.

If I'm either of those guys, at the end of the year if the Fins have the top pick, I check in with Luck, and take that job in a heartbeat if he says he's coming.

And very possibly Andrew Luck.

If I'm either of those guys, at the end of the year if the Fins have the top pick, I check in with Luck, and take that job in a heartbeat if he says he's coming.

Its also a good situation because there are 0 expectations initially (even with Luck) and the AFC East has a relatively easy schedule next season with the NFC West, which shows no signs of being better as a whole division, and the AFC South which isnt that good either. So it gives the coach a good chance to be a miracle worker in his first season. Coaches love that opportunity.

Gruden... really? Hahaha... ******* guy gave his first interview on MNF vs. the Jets.

He did, didn't he?

I would love nothing more than Gruden to coach the Dolphins.

He's perfect for that jackass Stephen Ross, too. Ross will think he's hiring a SB-winning, celebrity "feed the wolf" type coach when in reality he's hiring a scowling buffoon who can't win unless someone hands him a readymade team. The other big benefit is that if the Dolphins do draft Luck, Gruden will ruin him.

He did, didn't he?

I would love nothing more than Gruden to coach the Dolphins.

He's perfect for that jackass Stephen Ross, too. Ross will think he's hiring a SB-winning, celebrity "feed the wolf" type coach when in reality he's hiring a scowling buffoon who can't win unless someone hands him a readymade team. The other big benefit is that if the Dolphins do draft Luck, Gruden will ruin him.

Totally agree.

When Sparano goes, Jeff Ireland will be right behind him. Ross and ex Chiefs GM Carl Peterson are tight and I would not be shocked to him named as GM.

Cowher and Carl Peterson have history. Cowher was on the Chiefs (DC IIRC) when Marty Schot was HC. If everything goes right, the Dolphins are setting themselves up for Luck all the way. They will have a big name HC in place heading into the 2012 draft.

Cowher's another overrated ex-coach. Tomlin's done everything he did with the Steelers since he left. Lebeau is the bulk of the genius on that staff. I could easily see him cash in for one last big payday a la Joe Gibbs' return to the 'Skins, with roughly the same level of success.

Its also a good situation because there are 0 expectations initially (even with Luck) and the AFC East has a relatively easy schedule next season with the NFC West, which shows no signs of being better as a whole division, and the AFC South which isnt that good either. So it gives the coach a good chance to be a miracle worker in his first season. Coaches love that opportunity.

Meh, Sparano worked a mircale his first season with the greatest turn around in NFL history, yadayada. Look what good that did him and that team.

If you're drafting the greatest college QB prospect ever, there are absolutely HUGE expectations. I dont think Cowher or Gruden has the balls to enter the AFC with BB and Rex coaching in it. Their ego's are way too big. Both will want a ready made team. Not a winless one.

Guys that take that job, are guys who have never been a HC before or were, and sucked.

Acting like full control of the team and the right to draft the best QB prospect since Manning isn't an attractive job is Klogic at it's best.

Yes, because there is a looong history of coaches having complete control working out awesome. :rolleyes:

I just find your fear of Andrew Luck to be hysterical. You're deathly afraid of this kid. It's funny to me.

If Andrew Luck does go to the Dolphins and he is that good we'll deal with it. Hell, Marino only had a .500 record head to head with Kenny O'Brien and the last time I checked the two finished their careers with the same number of SB rings. Even for how great Manning has turned out, I mean the guy has probably lived up to the hype more than any prospect in history, he's only made it to two SBs and only won one.

There are no guarantees in life. Andrew Luck could blow out his shoulder tomorrow.

Two things I do feel fairly confident about, however, are (1) if the Dolphins hire Gruden they will continue to suck for many, many years and (2) if they hire Cowher, they will turn into perrennial underachievers, regardless of who their QB is.

Yes, because there is a looong history of coaches having complete control working out awesome. :rolleyes:

I just find your fear of Andrew Luck to be hysterical. You're deathly afraid of this kid. It's funny to me.

If Andrew Luck does go to the Dolphins and he is that good we'll deal with it. Hell, Marino only had a .500 record head to head with Kenny O'Brien and the last time I checked the two finished their careers with the same number of SB rings. Even for how great Manning has turned out, I mean the guy has probably lived up to the hype more than any prospect in history, he's only made it to two SBs and only won one.

There are no guarantees in life. Andrew Luck could blow out his shoulder tomorrow.

Two things I do feel fairly confident about, however, are (1) if the Dolphins hire Gruden they will continue to suck for many, many years and (2) if they hire Cowher, they will turn into perrennial underachievers, regardless of who their QB is.

The question was about the attractiveness of the job.

Get over your WWF Persona and realize that the Dolphins with the #1 pick and the best prospect since Manning are an attractive option for any coach, regardless of how Luck turns out.

If you can turn off the theme music and pyrotechnics long enough, maybe you could also admit that we'd be much, much, better off having this guy not in the division. I'd much rather have that 'nothing is guaranteed' for someone else. This division has belonged to Brady and the Pats for 10 years, save a nice playoff win. I'd prefer not having 'the best prospect since manning' to take the reigns for the next 10 years. You would too.

I wont tell all the KlackoManiacs though.

Get over your WWF Persona and realize that the Dolphins with the #1 pick and the best prospect since Manning are an attractive option for any coach, regardless of how Luck turns out.

If you can turn off the theme music and pyrotechnics long enough, maybe you could also admit that we'd be much, much, better off having this guy not in the division. I'd much rather have that 'nothing is guaranteed' for someone else. This division has belonged to Brady and the Pats for 10 years, save a nice playoff win. I'd prefer not having 'the best prospect since manning' to take the reigns for the next 10 years. You would too.

Lemme tell you somethin' brother!

Suspect it will be Gruden, if he accepts Peterson as the GM.

He's a Florida guy, and a QB freak. No income tax in Florida always helps. Ross's kind of guy. Big name. Don't think it matters unless the Fish win the Luck sweepstakes.

Willing to bet Ross is letting this leak to really dishearten the team even more to insure the total collapse. Nothing better for a teams morale then to be playing for a coach is is crying to Refs that his job is finished if the call goes against him

Lmao So now Gruden and Cowher are bad coaches. The only reason your hating on Cowher is because he could be Miami's next coach.

I really dont see how taking over that pathetic franchise, in the worst sports city in the country is an attractive job for anyone w/ a name. They cant sell out their stadium, they have more visiting fans than season ticket holders in their stadium, they have a club in their stadium, you answer to J-Lo, and they play in the same division as Brady/BB and Rex/Sanchez...and now the emerging Bills. Truth is, the sh*ttyness of the Dolphags is the only reason why the AFCE is not by far the best division in the league.

Maybe I'm nieve but I dont see that as an attractive job for a big name even with a guaranteed Luck. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see Miami as a landing sport for the next big coordinator HC' candidate.

I really dont see how taking over that pathetic franchise, in the worst sports city in the country is an attractive job for anyone w/ a name. They cant sell out their stadium, they have more visiting fans than season ticket holders in their stadium, they have a club in their stadium, you answer to J-Lo, and they play in the same division as Brady/BB and Rex/Sanchez...and now the emerging Bills. Truth is, the sh*ttyness of the Dolphags is the only reason why the AFCE is not by far the best division in the league.

Maybe I'm nieve but I dont see that as an attractive job for a big name even with a guaranteed Luck. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see Miami as a landing sport for the next big coordinator HC' candidate.

Brady's on the down slope. He's 34. This division is looking for a new head. The fact that you think anyone fears Sanchez is downright silly. We can disagree about how good he is, and right now, coming off a good 2nd half vs. the Chargers, it's not worth explaining why he isn't, but regardless, he's certainly not a player that other teams fear.

And while it's great to make fun of the Dolphins for JLo, we all know that no one is answering to JLo, she's a figurehead. Nothing more. Miami was a sh*tty basketball town too. Then, they went out and got LeBron, and people started showing up. That doesn't make them good fans, or loyal fans, or who gives a crap. But, bring in Andrew Luck and a big name coach and attendance will go up.

As for who takes the job. I don't know. For all I know, Cowher and Gruden are happy with their jobs. All I'm saying is it is an attractive job, when you include Luck, for anyone looking for a coaching job.

Lmao So now Gruden and Cowher are bad coaches. The only reason your hating on Cowher is because he could be Miami's next coach.

Only one coach has won pro football championships with two different teams - Weeb Ewbank.

Since Weeb, many have tried to win with a second team, several who were significantly better than Cowher to begin with. One who was about 1000 times better than Cowher even tried to win again with the same team he won with the first time around and failed.

You really think Bill Cowher can succeed where Ditka, Parcells, Gibbs and many others failed?

Sorry pal, you don't hire a retread who's already won. It never ever works out.

Brady's on the down slope. He's 34. This division is looking for a new head. The fact that you think anyone fears Sanchez is downright silly. We can disagree about how good he is, and right now, coming off a good 2nd half vs. the Chargers, it's not worth explaining why he isn't, but regardless, he's certainly not a player that other teams fear.

And while it's great to make fun of the Dolphins for JLo, we all know that no one is answering to JLo, she's a figurehead. Nothing more. Miami was a sh*tty basketball town too. Then, they went out and got LeBron, and people started showing up. That doesn't make them good fans, or loyal fans, or who gives a crap. But, bring in Andrew Luck and a big name coach and attendance will go up.

As for who takes the job. I don't know. For all I know, Cowher and Gruden are happy with their jobs. All I'm saying is it is an attractive job, when you include Luck, for anyone looking for a coaching job.

What does this have to do with anything? The bottom line is the Jets w/ Rex and Sanchez are a winning ball club who have made it to the postseason 2 straight seasons, along with another team from the same division...and now there's another making a push. Thats a very competitive landscape. The fear or lack there of for Sanchez is irrelevant.

And I just disagree. Luck doesnt instantly make Miami an attractive job.

Right now the Dolphins are the least attractive situation for Andrew Luck. The team is awful and needs a hell of a lot more than a QB to even become a .500 team let alone a team anyone fears.

Their owner is a complete jackass who totally botched his QB and coach situation this year. Remember how Jim Harbaugh used them to up his price in San Fran. He met with Ross. You really don't think Luck's father is in touch with Harbaugh?

I'd be willing to bet Miami's suckiness is the main reason rumors are starting to surface about Luck pulling an Eli/Elway.

Don't be surprised to see Andrew Luck in a 49ers uniform this time next year regardless of their draft position, especially if Miami holds the #1 pick.

Archived