NY Times: NFL should flex Jets/Pats out of primetime

Kentucky Jet

Should the N.F.L. ‘Flex’ the Jets Out of a Sunday Night Game?

By GEORGE BRETHERTON

The Jets’ next two games –– at Buffalo (5-2) next Sunday and at home against the Patriots (5-2) on Nov. 13 — figure to be pivotal in the race for the A.F.C. East title. At 4-3, the Jets are a game behind, and if they can win both, they will be in no worse than a tie for first place in the division. The Jets would have the tiebreaker advantage over both teams.

But an interesting schedule issue looms with the New England game and immediately after it. The Jets will be right back at it four days later for a Thursday night game at Denver. Under most circumstances, a short week wouldn’t be a significant problem as long as both teams deal with the same schedule.

But that’s not the case with the Jets. The N.F.L.’s schedule for Week 10 on Nov. 13 has Denver playing at Kansas City as one of 11 1 p.m. Eastern games.

The Jets’ disadvantage comes not only from playing a night game on that day (which could end early Monday morning), but also from the travel to Denver for the Thursday night game. Adjusting to the altitude in Denver is no picnic for some players, too.

If the league were to move the Jets out of the Sunday night slot, it would have to do so before Tuesday. Here is a snippet of the N.F.L.’s policy on flexible scheduling.

In Weeks 10-15, the schedule lists the games tentatively set for Sunday Night Football on NBC. Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game would be moved to an afternoon start time. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.

A flexible scheduling move would be announced at least 12 days before the game.

If the N.F.L. makes the switch, some appealing alternatives meet those guidelines. The Week 10 schedule has Pittsburgh at Cincinnati, Detroit at Chicago, Buffalo at Dallas and New Orleans at Atlanta, all Sunday 1 p.m. games. The Pittsburgh-Cincinnati and New Orleans-Atlanta games could be for first place in their divisions.

Extra Point From a fairness standpoint, should the N.F.L. move the Jets game to a 1 p.m. slot — never mind the ratings?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2.../?ref=football

Should the N.F.L. ‘Flex’ the Jets Out of a Sunday Night Game?

By GEORGE BRETHERTON

The Jets’ next two games –– at Buffalo (5-2) next Sunday and at home against the Patriots (5-2) on Nov. 13 — figure to be pivotal in the race for the A.F.C. East title. At 4-3, the Jets are a game behind, and if they can win both, they will be in no worse than a tie for first place in the division. The Jets would have the tiebreaker advantage over both teams.

But an interesting schedule issue looms with the New England game and immediately after it. The Jets will be right back at it four days later for a Thursday night game at Denver. Under most circumstances, a short week wouldn’t be a significant problem as long as both teams deal with the same schedule.

But that’s not the case with the Jets. The N.F.L.’s schedule for Week 10 on Nov. 13 has Denver playing at Kansas City as one of 11 1 p.m. Eastern games.

The Jets’ disadvantage comes not only from playing a night game on that day (which could end early Monday morning), but also from the travel to Denver for the Thursday night game. Adjusting to the altitude in Denver is no picnic for some players, too.

If the league were to move the Jets out of the Sunday night slot, it would have to do so before Tuesday. Here is a snippet of the N.F.L.’s policy on flexible scheduling.

In Weeks 10-15, the schedule lists the games tentatively set for Sunday Night Football on NBC. Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game would be moved to an afternoon start time. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.

A flexible scheduling move would be announced at least 12 days before the game.

If the N.F.L. makes the switch, some appealing alternatives meet those guidelines. The Week 10 schedule has Pittsburgh at Cincinnati, Detroit at Chicago, Buffalo at Dallas and New Orleans at Atlanta, all Sunday 1 p.m. games. The Pittsburgh-Cincinnati and New Orleans-Atlanta games could be for first place in their divisions.

Extra Point From a fairness standpoint, should the N.F.L. move the Jets game to a 1 p.m. slot — never mind the ratings?

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2.../?ref=football

They should, but not a chance that they will.

Jets-Pats in primetime, potentially for 1st place.

Ratings rule.

Should have never been on the schedule in the first place.

Would have made more sense to face Denver in a Sunday day game and then New England on a Thursday night, anyway. The Jets vs. Denver? Who the **** even wants to watch that, besides us and fantasy football players with the Jets defense?

If we can't beat Tebow, Brady Quinn, Orton, a FA off the streets, or whatever fan the Broncos throw behind center, we don't belong in the playoffs.

I agree, I was just stating he probably wont be there for us to terrorize by that game.

My guess is hes hurt by then.

They should, but not a chance that they will.

Jets-Pats in primetime, potentially for 1st place.

Ratings rule.

Agreed. The idea that it will even be considered is silly these days. They would not bump a potential cash cow just because of the altitude in Denver and rest for the Jets. Plus Goodell gets hammered with his supposed love for the Jets and the "special treatment" we get from him. I don't see it happening.

Not a chance they will flex this game.

NBC was already promoting the next three games which all happen to be major rivalry games with the Ravens vs Steelers this week. The Pats and Jets next week and the Eagles vs the Giants the week after.

If the Jets can't beat the Denver Tebows then they should be ashamed of themselves.

me too. I don't like night games

I agree. I am not a fan of night games, however I do not watch them (from beginning to end) as much as love footbal unless the Jets are playing. The "problem" if you will is that now the Jets are relevant they are getting more night games. I for one do not want to go back to the days when the Jets never play in primetime.

I agree. I am not a fan of night games, however I do not watch them (from beginning to end) as much as love footbal unless the Jets are playing. The "problem" if you will is that now the Jets are relevant they are getting more night games. I for one do not want to go back to the days when the Jets never play in primetime.

and let us not forget just how doggone awful the nightime broadcasters are.

and let us not forget just how doggone awful the nightime broadcasters are.

Indeed. It is amazing how both NBC and ESPN can have such bad broadcasters. I do not believe that NFL Network is better. Bring back the NBC experiment using no broadcasters.

Archived