Candidates to replace Schottenhiemer

BroadwayJ667

If Weis were available, he'd be the top choice. I'd go all out to get him in here.

Other than him:

Gary Kubiak (if he's fired)

Norv Turner

Bill Callahan

and my dark horse.......Jim Fassel

Fassel would be interesting you know he would not stand for some of the sh*t we're seeing at times on offense. He might be the perfect guy for the job .

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's good about them? The Jets were a good rushing team the year before they got here, stayed good for a couple years - until this one. You'd have to go all the way back to 2005 to find the Jets running worse than they are this season.

I'd hire the best OC candidate, and let him fill out his own staff. If he wanted to keep Lynn and Callahan around, that's fine. But I'd leave it up to the new guy.

Callahan has developed Mangold into one of the best offensive lineman in football and this has been the only year that the line truly struggled under Callahan. Most of that can be attributed to a bad job by the front office in not finding a legitimate replacement for Mangold when he went down and betting that Wayne Hunter, a career back-up, would be able to contribute as a starter.

I have less of a defense for Lynn, we did have a top-level rushing attack for 2 seasons under him. Other than that, I like his energy on the sideline and from what I saw on hard knocks, he seems like the type of guy you need around a football team.

yeah Ive seen Kubiak mentioned a few times and thats pretty much an impossibility. That and the fact he now has a built in excuse since all his QB's are hurt

True true but he was pretty much on his last shot to do something with the Texans and if he had another mediocre not-making-the-playoffs season he absolutely was going to be fired. Smash is right though, with both Schaub and Lienhart being hurt it gives him a built in excuse and another chance to see if he CAN take that final step next year. Nobody in their right minds thinks they are going anywhere now with some rookie heading into the playoffs-kind of a shame but I could really care less what happens with the Houston Texans.

I remember the day that Bill Belichick handed Woody that note saying he didn't want to be the HC of the NY Jets. The guy I said "good, I don't want him as our head coach anyway, I'd rather have Gary Kubiak". I still believe had it not been for them lucking out with that 6th round draft pick that Belichick would probably be on his 3rd or 4th team by now or maybe in the booth or the studio calling games on Sunday afternoons

Fassel would be interesting you know he would not stand for some of the sh*t we're seeing at times on offense. He might be the perfect guy for the job .

I don't know why he's been blacklisted in the NFL, but his UFL teams have done well. He's a good offensive-mind.

Callahan has developed Mangold into one of the best offensive lineman in football and this has been the only year that the line truly struggled under Callahan. Most of that can be attributed to a bad job by the front office in not finding a legitimate replacement for Mangold when he went down and betting that Wayne Hunter, a career back-up, would be able to contribute as a starter.

I have less of a defense for Lynn, we did have a top-level rushing attack for 2 seasons under him. Other than that, I like his energy on the sideline and from what I saw on hard knocks, he seems like the type of guy you need around a football team.

No he didn't. Mangold was perhaps the best center in football when Callahan got here. D'Brick, another high pick, hasn't shown any improvement in the running game - which is supposed to be Callahan's domain. It's been fun to give Callahan the credit around here every time the offense does something right - but this year it's actually the passing game that's doing better (relatively) while the running game suffers.

Their first two years here, the Jets leaned on RB's who had success elsewhere before they got here. Leaning more heavily on the talent they're supposedly developing, the running game is in steep decline. Energy is nice, but the Jets need teachers.

yep, Florida's offense is burning up the SEC.

Florida's offense is struggling, but its only year 1 in that system. Also, I am sure there is some sort of post-Tebow religious voodoo on that offense...

College aside, as an NFL OC Weis always had top rated offenses...When he got to KC they averaged 120 yards/game rushing, when he took over in 2010 they averaged 165 yards/game...<- Ground & Pound

Florida's offense is struggling, but its only year 1 in that system. Also, I am sure there is some sort of post-Tebow religious voodoo on that offense...

College aside, as an NFL OC Weis always had top rated offenses...When he got to KC they averaged 120 yards/game rushing, when he took over in 2010 they averaged 165 yards/game...<- Ground & Pound

Exactly. Weis' offense with Rex's defense, and this team would be dangerous.

No he didn't. Mangold was perhaps the best center in football when Callahan got here. D'Brick, another high pick, hasn't shown any improvement in the running game - which is supposed to be Callahan's domain. It's been fun to give Callahan the credit around here every time the offense does something right - but this year it's actually the passing game that's doing better (relatively) while the running game suffers.

Their first two years here, the Jets leaned on RB's who had success elsewhere before they got here. Leaning more heavily on the talent they're supposedly developing, the running game is in steep decline. Energy is nice, but the Jets need teachers.

why not give him credit when the running game carried us the last 2 seasons and he was in charge of coordinating that aspect of our offense? i can be labled a 'schotty-hater' so this view might seem biased, but i really think we have the same ability to run the ball but his playcalling does not give us the opportunity to do so. watching the game this past weekend there were holes that any of us would be able to run through, but of course as soon as we establish the run, schotty want to turn into 'air coryell'

why not give him credit when the running game carried us the last 2 seasons and he was in charge of coordinating that aspect of our offense? i can be labled a 'schotty-hater' so this view might seem biased, but i really think we have the same ability to run the ball but his playcalling does not give us the opportunity to do so. watching the game this past weekend there were holes that any of us would be able to run through, but of course as soon as we establish the run, schotty want to turn into 'air coryell'

yep this has happened a few times this year. Im not ready to blame Callahan for our lack of running the football more, and Im not going to blame him for Brick either who really has not played well.

Back when we were running for 170 yards a game 3 years ago the call was run right, run right, run right over Woody and Moore with Mangold or Faneca pulling, Brick was never a good run blocker and he still cant run block to the level we saw back then at least not as consistently and Im not sure how much an effect Slauson has in that respect either. Faneca may have been a liability in the passing game but he could run block just fine.

OC of the New Orleans Saints, Pete Carmichael, currently working under the best play caller in the business, Sean Payton. His role is similar to that of Pettine on the offensive side of the ball, since Payton is actually the guy who calls the plays in the games, so comig to the Jets as the fulltime playcaller would be a step up. Not sure what his contract situation is though.

I would love for Charlie Weiss to come here . I wonder though did Weiss Fail as a head coach or was he just a terrible recruiter ? Recruiting is a major part of being a great HC in the college ranks but that kind of goes beyond X's and O's

The fact that even football players require at least mid double digit IQ was his undoing at Notre Dame -- functional illiterates who can ball go to the football factories.

yep, Florida's offense is burning up the SEC.

Struggling is an understatement. Worst offense, worst team, in 30 years. I've never seen a worse offense in college Football in my life. They struggle to do the most simple things.

Now, in Charlie's defense...he had to start 2 true freshman to run his offense which he tried everything from the spread, to the option, to the pistol...he tried it all, and they couldnt execute any of them. The offense, wasnt bad when Brantley was the starter. The problem I'm having is that Driskel was the top rated NFL Qb coming out of High School and Brissett was starting over him. So, I'm not sure WTF is going on down there. But I'm not high on Weiss right now.

Struggling is an understatement. Worst offense, worst team, in 30 years. I've never seen a worse offense in college Football in my life. They struggle to do the most simple things.

Now, in Charlie's defense...he had to start 2 true freshman to run his offense which he tried everything from the spread, to the option, to the pistol...he tried it all, and they couldnt execute any of them. The offense, wasnt bad when Brantley was the starter. The problem I'm having is that Driskel was the top rated NFL Qb coming out of High School and Brissett was starting over him. So, I'm not sure WTF is going on down there. But I'm not high on Weiss right now.

youth at the qb position is a big deal, i am a rutgers fan so i know what this is like over the last few years.

I like your thinking here. QB coaches who have excelled should be the priority (given the Jets' need to get their QB some coaching). My preference would definitely be a guy on the way up rather than a guy on the way down. The luster is gone from Callahan, Moore isn't taking the job (and anyone could be Peyton Manning's OC), and Norv is a smart offensive guy, but reeks of being a choker/loser.

Clements has a decent resume and has OC'd before in this division. He's had success with Rodgers but also some guy named Kelly Holcomb for Buff and possibly Losman but I can't remember.

You make note of other peoples posts containing no intelligent explanation of their stance (for whatever reason they may have) and this is the crap you come up with ? If your going to accuse people of something dont contradict yourself in the very next thread.

What in the hell are you talking about? Did you really just fn write this for "no to these 4 guys for various reasons?" Wheres a runaway speeding 18 wheeler when I need one...

Smash fights guerilla style. You'd be wise to tread carefully.

And the notion that a change in coaching wouldn't impact the team is ludicrous. Look no further than Rex taking Erics middle of the pack D and turning them into a force in 09'.

Sanchez has played like dog crap but there's simply no way he goes before Schotty.. and why would you want him to?

Get Penny in here for QB coach in 12'. Make it happen Tanny.

When talking about Weiss the one thing we do have is success in the NFL he did well with the Jets in the 90's and better with the Pats early 2000's Chiefs as well . So in that respect maybe he should just stay away from college ball :)

Smash fights guerilla style. You'd be wise to tread carefully.

And the notion that a change in coaching wouldn't impact the team is ludicrous. Look no further than Rex taking Erics middle of the pack D and turning them into a force in 09'.

Sanchez has played like dog crap but there's simply no way he goes before Schotty.. and why would you want him to?

Get Penny in here for QB coach in 12'. Make it happen Tanny.

Pac what would you think of Kenny Obrien as QB coach ? I heard he was working with some QB's in the offseason would be nice to see a few ex Jets stepping up.

Pac what would you think of Kenny Obrien as QB coach ? I heard he was working with some QB's in the offseason would be nice to see a few ex Jets stepping up.

I heard Kenny O on Petros and Money a couple weeks back.. They talked about him working with USC QB's specifically Carson Palmer during his semi-retirement. I'm not sure what other coaching credentials he has but if he's qualified I think it would be great to have him back. He and Toon were doing their thing when I became a fan back in 86' or so.

Rex seems to have a thing for nostalgia so it doesn't sound like it would be impossible. I'm not really sure what Matt Cavanaugh does... in Hard Knocks he seemed more like a self-esteem coach than anything else. I realize we aren't privy to what he really does but whatever it is, it's not working.

Archived