Per cimini: Philly knew d calls

aec4

rex ryan doesnt play a 46

He might call it something else, but it still a variant of his dad's stuff thoguh with different fronts,l not locked into 3 or 4 up front. ANd the Eagles and everyone else can look at tape and see that the Cowboys and Jets look a lot a like spare that the cowboys lean on Ware and the Jets lean on Revis.

The Rex Ryan 3-4/4-3/46 Hybrid

By Scott Carasik

Follow him on Twitter!

Teams that use this defense: Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets

Overview

Rex Ryan's defense isn't really a 4-3, nor is it really a 3-4. He runs a 46 hybrid like his father. The main difference in his 46 hybrid and his father's is the coverage responsibilities, and the amount of blitzing. Ryan's 46 package is one of the most complex schemes in the NFL. So this is a very simplified version of it.

Lebeau34.jpg

The alignment is basically the same as the LeBeau 3-4 the entire way. The defensive line is in a traditional 2-gap alignment with the Nose Tackle in a 0-tech over the center, and the DE's in 5-techs over the OT's. The OLB's are on the LOS just outside of the OT's on each side. The WILB is shaded over the weakside OG. The SILB is shaded over the strongside A gap. the SS is about 5 yards off the LOS shaded over the OT behind the DE. the FS is in a 10 yards deep spot shaded across from the A-gap on the weakside. The corners are lined up traditionally in their spots across from the CB's. This is the same alignment as the 46 used by the 85 Bears, only Lebeau and Ryan execute it completely differently.

Defensive Line Responsibilities

Lebeau34line.jpg

The Nose Tackle is playing your pure 0-technique and is in charge of the A-gaps, the DE's are in charge of the B and C gaps on the outside. In the passing game, their jobs are to control the line and draw double teams. The Ideal players for this scheme based on the roles in the 2011 draft:

Ryan Strongside DE - Marcell Dareus, played 3-4 DE at the University of Alabama

Ryan Nose Tackle - Stephen Paea, played 4-3 DT at Oregon State University

Ryan Weakside DE - Cameron Jordan, played 3-4 DE at the University of California

Linebacker Responsibilities

Lebeau34box.jpg

Much like the Lebeau scheme, the SS is in the box. Unlike the Lebeau scheme however the SS will drop back into deep coverage sometimes and will tend to blitz quite a bit as well. He will be in charge of cleaning up the strongside in the run game. The strongside OLB is in charge of the C-gap and the outside in the run game and is used in man coverage over 80% of the time on the TE. The other 20%, he will be either blitzing or playing a mid zone. The strongside ILB is in charge of the A and B gaps on the right side in the run game. In the passing game, he will be covering a mid zone and rarely blitzing. The WILB is in charge of the A and B gaps on his side and will be blitzing over 50% in the passing game. The other responsibility he will have is to play short to intermediate zones. The Weakside OLB will be blitzing over 75% regardless of the passing or running situation. When he isn't blitzing he will be playing a contain on the outside for the run game or will be playing a flat zone on the weak side. The scheme calls for a lot of overload blitzes to either side as opposed to the LeBeau scheme, which calls for balanced blitzes normally up the middle. The Ideal players for this scheme based on the roles in the 2011 draft:

Strongside OLB "Sam" - Justin Houston, played 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB at the University of Georgia

Strongside ILB "Ted" - Martez Wilson, played 4-3 MLB at the University of Illinois

Weakside ILB "Mike" - Quan Sturdivant, played 4-3 MLB at the University of North Carolina

Weakside OLB "Will" - Von Miller, played 4-3 OLB at Texas A&M University

Strong Safety - Rahim Moore, played FS at the University of California-Los Angeles

Secondary Responsibilities

Lebeau34.jpg

Where in the Lebeau scheme, the corners play man with some zone, in the Ryan scheme, they will be in man coverage exclusively. And they will also be in a press-man. The FS will be patrolling the middle of the field in a deep zone exclusively. The Ideal players for this scheme based on the roles in the 2011 draft:

#1 CB - Patrick Peterson, played CB at Louisiana State University

#2 CB - Prince Amukamura, played CB at the University of Wisconsin

Free Safety - Aaron Williams, played CB at the University of Texas

There are no interesting nuggets from Eric Smith other than he sucks horribly. His play has been so bad this year he has not earned the right to make this accusation. We do not have the talent in the safety position to match up with receivers in the middle of the field and we never have. In the three years Rex has been here we have sucked guarding TE's and nothing has been done to solidify the position. Hes too married to guys like Eric Smith and Jimmy Leonhard who do not have the athletic abilty to match up.

As for the offense

Funny the last couple of weeks Shotty ran a lot of screens which he never did in the past. But in typical Shotty fashion he came after the Eagles with screens which would have been fine but the Eagles were ready for it did Shotty adjust ? No. Also the Jets O-Line was not able to adjust to the Eagles blitzing schemes or D line stunts. You add all that up and also understand the fact we could not even block their guys straight up and this goes beyond coaching they simply had better talent on defense than we were able to counter with our offense. We once again became predictable.

Add jack a$$ Santonio Holmes to this mix and you have a blow out.

Whats strange is I thought they actually knew the offensive calls at one point and specifically the snap counts. They were swarming the line and the receivers it seemed. Never really thought about the defense. Perhaps Smith meant they realized "when I was lined up on Celek and knew to throw, throw, nd throw some more"

Whats strange is I thought they actually knew the offensive calls at one point and specifically the snap counts. They were swarming the line and the receivers it seemed. Never really thought about the defense. Perhaps Smith meant they realized "when I was lined up on Celek and knew to throw, throw, nd throw some more"

Well they were exploiting our glaring weakness cant say i blame them. They did seem to be getting off the ball at an alarming rate on defense.

meh, this game was lost by holmes early and then the jets getting away from the run (game plan) (which was working) due to the score. Holmes basically gave the eagles 7 and then cost us 7 on our first 3 drives. he doesn't fumble and muff that catch and this game breaks completely differently.. it may be an old saying, but it's 100% true, when you are on the road against a weaker team, you can't give them any momentum early..

meh, this game was lost by holmes early and then the jets getting away from the run (game plan) (which was working) due to the score. Holmes basically gave the eagles 7 and then cost us 7 on our first 3 drives. he doesn't fumble and muff that catch and this game breaks completely differently.. it may be an old saying, but it's 100% true, when you are on the road against a weaker team, you can't give them any momentum early..

+1

there really is no other way to look at this game

Yep and we gave it to them numerous times.

Perfect breakdown of that game. Holmes' hands cost us huge.

Clearly Holmes and Hunter were the goats, but when I went back and looked at some of the PBP I was actually surprised to see that we gave up on the run earlier than need be. There was the shotgun play on the first drive which was a -4 yard pass to LT. Down 7-0 they only ran once in 3 plays with the 3rd play resulting in the Babin sack essentially ending the drive. Down 14-0 they go 3rd and 3 shotgun which saw jumpy Hunter go offsides knowing he had to pass block. After that there was no choice, but I was actually surprised going back and looking at the PBP how they moved away from the Greene up the gut strategy as fast as they did. Not sure if its because they felt the game getting away or they felt that they had better matchups elsewhere (and the pass to Holmes should have worked both times), but these shotgun plays need to go when the run is working. I think it also lets the defense tee off on him since it telegraphs pass most of the time and he is terrible under pressure.

Clearly Holmes and Hunter were the goats, but when I went back and looked at some of the PBP I was actually surprised to see that we gave up on the run earlier than need be. There was the shotgun play on the first drive which was a -4 yard pass to LT. Down 7-0 they only ran once in 3 plays with the 3rd play resulting in the Babin sack essentially ending the drive. Down 14-0 they go 3rd and 3 shotgun which saw jumpy Hunter go offsides knowing he had to pass block. After that there was no choice, but I was actually surprised going back and looking at the PBP how they moved away from the Greene up the gut strategy as fast as they did. Not sure if its because they felt the game getting away or they felt that they had better matchups elsewhere (and the pass to Holmes should have worked both times), but these shotgun plays need to go when the run is working. I think it also lets the defense tee off on him since it telegraphs pass most of the time and he is terrible under pressure.

Yeah, that's what i was trying to express, Philly got the defensive TD and it looked like we panic'd and tried to score quickly to get it back rather then executing on what the gameplan seemed to be. We played right into philly's defense hand's, who much like GB's, are better when playing with a lead..Just seemed to me that giving up a td that way spooked them... We often seem to abandon the run even down only 1 score

My suspicion too is that schotty would rather chuck the ball around, and rex would prefer the ground and pound, which might be the cause of some of the skittish behavior on offense

Yeah, that's what i was trying to express, Philly got the defensive TD and it looked like we panic'd and tried to score quickly to get it back rather then executing on what the gameplan seemed to be. We played right into philly's defense hand's, who much like GB's, are better when playing with a lead..Just seemed to me that giving up a td that way spooked them... We often seem to abandon the run even down only 1 score

My suspicion too is that schotty would rather chuck the ball around, and rex would prefer the ground and pound, which might be the cause of some of the skittish behavior on offense

Thats definitely the case. Just go back to 2009 when Rex was 110% behind just letting his OC do anything he wanted and Sanchez had so much more responsibility than almost any rookie QB in years. Finally Rex got in and said to cut it out with the Sanchez nonsense because he is costing his defense football games. But if it was up to the OC the Jets would be a passing team and that is more or less what they built, but with poor QB play and nothing done to try to point out his good qualities (play action, roll outs, etc...) they cant look competent against teams with a decent defense. Dumping Schotty isnt fixing Sanchez like some think, but it may give him a chance to be in a system more designed for his strengths---and one that has him getting the same story from his head coach and coordinator rather than being pulled in two different directions as to what his job is in the game.

Thats definitely the case. Just go back to 2009 when Rex was 110% behind just letting his OC do anything he wanted and Sanchez had so much more responsibility than almost any rookie QB in years. Finally Rex got in and said to cut it out with the Sanchez nonsense because he is costing his defense football games. But if it was up to the OC the Jets would be a passing team and that is more or less what they built, but with poor QB play and nothing done to try to point out his good qualities (play action, roll outs, etc...) they cant look competent against teams with a decent defense. Dumping Schotty isnt fixing Sanchez like some think, but it may give him a chance to be in a system more designed for his strengths---and one that has him getting the same story from his head coach and coordinator rather than being pulled in two different directions as to what his job is in the game.

If schotty goes, I'm thinking rex is going to bring in a conservative guy who will turn sanchez into a game manager... But I dunno, sometimes I think rex wants sanchez to look better then his is for his own ego

That Eagles team would beat these Jets today, tomorrow and Wednesday.

If schotty goes, I'm thinking rex is going to bring in a conservative guy who will turn sanchez into a game manager... But I dunno, sometimes I think rex wants sanchez to look better then his is for his own ego

Just win I thought Rex was coaching to try and win games, I find out that he is coaching for his own ego.

Hard game to figure, this football.

4 turnovers for both teams.

The Eagles match up better and thats the NFL.

Well this game can only be chalked up to one of those crazy games that got away due to us beating ourselves it happens often and it has happened numerous times to SB winners . Not to say this team wins a SB

A major problem with Rex is that he's a reactionary coach when it comes to defensive personnel decisions.

After Manning exposed the No. 2 CB and Nickel in the 2009 AFCCG, Rex pushed for Cro and drafting Wilson.

After the Steelers exposed the DLine in the 2010 AFCCG, Rex pushed to draft Mo and KEllis.

Now that there is an even bigger gaping hole in the middle of the Jets secondary because of Eric Abomination Smith, they'll likely address the Safety position this offseason.

The problem is that Rex and Tanny aren't anticipating problem areas on D.

As to the O, Sanchez is about a C to C+ QB, but Wayne Abortion Hunter ruined any chance of Sanchez getting into a B- range or dare I say B. Seriously. Hunter got smoked and Sanchez got blown up on the FIRST freakin' snap of the season. He's been consistently bad ever since then.

Sanchez is skittish now because even in blowouts he's getting the snot smacked out of him. Sanchez has had 4 defenders this season get fined for illegal hits on him, most in the NFL.

Archived