Isnt Drew Brees a free agent this offseason?

Blackout

i think he is, we should sign that beast.

Assuming the Saints were stupid enough to not franchise tag him, why would he want to become a Jet?

All the weapons the Jets have?

Going from the great relationship with Sean Payton to Rex?

Assuming the Saints were stupid enough to not franchise tag him, why would he want to become a Jet?

The Jets do have capable weapons. Brees has Jimmy Grabam, but overall the Jets WR's are more talented than the Saints WR's. It's Brees that makes the likes of Lance Moore and Robert Meachem appear to be better than they are.

As to the latter point, no, I don't see Brees wanting to leave Sean Payton anytime soon.

The Jets do have capable weapons. Brees has Jimmy Grabam, but overall the Jets WR's are more talented than the Saints WR's. It's Brees that makes the likes of Lance Moore and Robert Meachem appear to be better than they are.

As to the latter point, no, I don't see Brees wanting to leave Sean Payton anytime soon.

That is fair to say.

However, I think it is a Saints' landslide at every other skill position. In the end, I would take the Saints receiving corps over the Jets.

That is fair to say.

However, I think it is a Saints' landslide at every other skill position. In the end, I would take the Saints receiving corps over the Jets.

Advantage Saints certainly. But not by a landslide. I think its the fact that Brees >>>>>>> Sanchez by a landslide that makes the real difference. And for sure, if Brees were to turn down an opportunity to play here, our skill players wouldn't be at the top of the list as to why.

If the Saints tag him and the Jets don't make him a mega-offer they're dumber than so many here already think.

2 first rounders? Even with all the draft picks we've traded away & all the holes we need to fill, I still do that in my sleep. We gave up a 1 & a 2 for an unknown in Sanchez. A 1 & a 1 for a HOF QB still in his prime seems a ridiculously small price difference to pay.

If the Saints tag him and the Jets don't make him a mega-offer they're dumber than so many here already think.

2 first rounders? Even with all the draft picks we've traded away & all the holes we need to fill, I still do that in my sleep. We gave up a 1 & a 2 for an unknown in Sanchez. A 1 & a 1 for a HOF QB still in his prime seems a ridiculously small price difference to pay.

Um yeah... very much this. I don't care what a person's thoughts are on Sanchez one way or another, I can't imagine how anyone would be against going after Brees if that opportunity somehow actually presented itself. Franchise tag or not, I can't imagine the Saints let him get that far without a new contract but if they do, you don't let that kind of rarest of rare opportunities pass you by. A couple of draft picks, no matter what round, doesn't change that.

Advantage Saints certainly. But not by a landslide. I think its the fact that Brees >>>>>>> Sanchez by a landslide that makes the real difference. And for sure, if Brees were to turn down an opportunity to play here, our skill players wouldn't be at the top of the list as to why.

...and Brees is a only 7 years older than Sanchez. Sanchez should "get it" by now.

So cause Wayne Hunter sucks we should pass on a better QB? No, Wayne can't be replaced. Good idea.

You bring in Brees for big money and you still have Sanchez and his contract and you won't be getting much of an upgrade at RT or Safety or linebacker or right guard where the Jets actually need improvement.

Um yeah... very much this. I don't care what a person's thoughts are on Sanchez one way or another, I can't imagine how anyone would be against going after Brees if that opportunity somehow actually presented itself. Franchise tag or not, I can't imagine the Saints let him get that far without a new contract but if they do, you don't let that kind of rarest of rare opportunities pass you by. A couple of draft picks, no matter what round, doesn't change that.

Perish the thought we might not have the Wilkerson-Wilson tandem. They're so worth more than Drew Brees.

You bring in Brees for big money and you still have Sanchez and his contract and you won't be getting much of an upgrade at RT or Safety or linebacker or right guard where the Jets actually need improvement.

You cut Sanchez if no one wants him in trade. Problem solved.

Who would ever consider keeping Sanchez if Brees, by some miracle, was available to us?

He is past the "uncuttable" part of his contract.

Drew Brees is going to be 33. And Sean Payton isn't coming with him.

Brees became a star QB under not one but TWO Schottenheimers.

And I would take him at age 37 over Sanchez. Whether Brees is 31 or 33 or 39, it matters not. Sanchez will still be Sanchez.

One has a track record of making receivers better and one has a track record of making them worse. I'd opt for the former. It's all academic anyway. NO isn't letting him go and we're not getting him.

I know you hate Tanny and all, but you realize it would be borderline retarded to actually try to criticize the acquisition of an elite QB, regardless of the means, right?

Sure, but you know what would be really impressive? If Tannenbaum took a second round pick and drafted his own Drew Brees. Just like it would have been impressive if he found his own Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard instead of paying out the a$$ for both of them.

Sure, but you know what would be really impressive? If Tannenbaum took a second round pick and drafted his own Drew Brees. Just like it would have been impressive if he found his own Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard instead of paying out the a$$ for both of them.

When all the team does is win, leaving you in the back-end of every round, its tough to draft superstar type players. Just sayin'.

He's overpaid for a lot of players in both $ and picks. But some of those moves paid off in a big way.

With no trade-up (read: without burning a 2nd round pick to move up in round 1) we have no Revis.

DeVito was signed for relative peanuts after he was signed as an UDFA.

Pouha was extended for $2M/year (I recall I mocked it at the time) and has been our starting NT for 2 years in a row, and most of the season before that, under that contract.

Wait, that's it? Yuck.

But to fault anyone for not finding "our own Brees in round 2" suggests that there is another GM for another team that has done that. Brees was drafted a decade ago. I am unaware of the QB available in round 2 we should have drafted since then, and in particular since Tannenbaum took over the GM duties in 2006.

He's overpaid for a lot of players in both $ and picks. But some of those moves paid off in a big way.

With no trade-up (read: without burning a 2nd round pick to move up in round 1) we have no Revis.

DeVito was signed for relative peanuts after he was signed as an UDFA.

Pouha was extended for $2M/year (I recall I mocked it at the time) and has been our starting NT for 2 years in a row, and most of the season before that, under that contract.

Wait, that's it? Yuck.

But to fault anyone for not finding "our own Brees in round 2" suggests that there is another GM for another team that has done that. Brees was drafted a decade ago. I am unaware of the QB available in round 2 we should have drafted since then, and in particular since Tannenbaum took over the GM duties in 2006.

You are en fuego today.

Still, I think the point holds that Tannenbaum treats draft picks like Jackie Treehorn treats objects.

Next you're gonna link me to the Packer drafts aren't you. I'll re-phrase. For 30 NFL teams, picking in the back-end of every round makes it difficult to find superstars.

The guy has been the full-time GM for six years and was the co-GM for four+ years prior to that. That's a lot of draft picks gone by the boards.

Next you're gonna link me to the Packer drafts aren't you. I'll re-phrase. For 30 NFL teams, picking in the back-end of every round makes it difficult to find superstars.

Is it though? Feel like it shouldnt be. How many players come out of college? You cant narrow it down to 32 players that are a high percentage chance to be pretty good. Strange to me.

Archived