Report: Carl Peterson to be named Dolphins' president

Jetfan13

Carl Peterson sat in on the Dolphins interview with Jeff Fisher on Tuesday for a very good reason.

According to Armando Slaguero of the Miami Herald, multiple NFL sources say that Peterson will be named the Dolphins president in the coming days or weeks.

Peterson was the Dolphins representative that both contacted and spoke with Jon Gruden about the Dolphins job recently and Peterson met with Gruden to gauge his interest for the Dolphins' 'coaching job.

Gruden made it clear to Peterson he isn't interested and Peterson carried that message back to Ross.

Peterson is a longtime friend of Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. Despite denials, Peterson was earmarked for some role with the Dolphins.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't it be priceless if he hires his old buddy Herm as coach?

He won't hire Herm. They are looking for a "young Shula" and will likely make a good hire. There's a lot of talent on that team, and they fight hard. Harder than the Jets do in a lot of ways. They could hop right over us for 2nd best in the AFC East with the addition of a QB, no question. Hell, Matt Moore was better than Sanchez down the stretch. They might not even need a QB that bad.

This actually is reason for concern... considering the Jets seem to embrace steady decline like a long-lost relative.

they declined this year. They improved the previous 2. And Carl Peterson has never won anything..I like this hire if it actually happens.

He may not have won anything, but I do believe he's built competitive teams... which would be enough to bump our bumbling franchise to 3rd or 4th in the division, which was my point.

they declined this year. They improved the previous 2. And Carl Peterson has never won anything..I like this hire if it actually happens.

I admit this is a guess, if an educated one. But why would a great coach like Jeff Fisher sign on with a total loser like Peterson. Guy made a complete mess in KC. Florida and money can make up for a lot, but not a GM stuck on stupid.

He won't hire Herm. They are looking for a "young Shula" and will likely make a good hire. There's a lot of talent on that team, and they fight hard. Harder than the Jets do in a lot of ways. They could hop right over us for 2nd best in the AFC East with the addition of a QB, no question. Hell, Matt Moore was better than Sanchez down the stretch. They might not even need a QB that bad.

This actually is reason for concern... considering the Jets seem to embrace steady decline like a long-lost relative.

Then they will most like look at Schottenheimer...worked with Marty for many years...makes sense for them.

He may not have won anything, but I do believe he's built competitive teams... which would be enough to bump our bumbling franchise to 3rd or 4th in the division, which was my point.

How soon we forget... how many years in a row did we miss the playoffs before the 2,000's? This is a competitive team, although not as competitive as we would like. But to say we are doomed to fall back to the celler is just idiotic.

How soon we forget... how many years in a row did we miss the playoffs before the 2,000's? This is a competitive team, although not as competitive as we would like. But to say we are doomed to fall back to the celler is just idiotic.

I didn't say we are doomed. I simply stated that I expect Peterson to hire a good coach that will get more out of the talent in Miami than Sporano did... and for the race for #2 in the AFCE to become tighter.

Realistically speaking... the Jets took a bigger step backward this season than the Dolphins did. We went from repeat visits to the AFCC game, to 8-8 and getting blown out regularly in losses... while the Dolphins lost a few game less than usual, with their #2 QB.

Since teams don't usually trend towards what they did a decade ago, but rather trend based on what they've done most recently... I'd say the Jets will be lucky to finish 2nd in the division, considering the Jets have more issues to resolve than the Dolphins do. One thing Miami doesn't need to fix is their O- and D-line. We got worse in the trenches on both sides of the ball this year. They have a talented defense down there, and they have the makings of a capable offense. Just need direction... the Jets need a new WR corps, and a new offense, have holes on the O-line, holes at LB and holes at safety. A lot of holes to plug... and a 1-dimensional head coach who is more concerned with the spotlight than a lot of fans want to admit.

If the Dolphins add Jeff Fisher, Rex becomes the 3rd best head coach in the division.

I stand by all these observations, and unless I see signs of life from the Jets front office... I'm not optimistic things get fixed around here as quickly as they need to.

For what it's worth, most of the sports talk shows down here are saying Peterson will be the team President, Ireland remains GM, and Fisher as HC

Just saying

All other reports seem to point to St. Louis as Fisher's most likely landing spot. Dolphins' fans just might be trying to convince themselves otherwise.

All other reports seem to point to St. Louis as Fisher's most likely landing spot. Dolphins' fans just might be trying to convince themselves otherwise.

I also heard that mentioned that St Louis is a more desirable spot for him.

Not so much the fans, but the talk show guys.

Like I said "for what it's worth"

I also heard that mentioned that St Louis is a more desirable spot for him.

Not so much the fans, but the talk show guys.

Like I said "for what it's worth"

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, I just think they are full of it and like to go with the "news" that they think will gain the most attention. Gruden's already told them he's not interested and none of the other candidates that have been named for Miami are nearly as big name. It seems all of the national outlets are all but naming Fisher as the new Rams' coach at this point.

A dimwit rich-boy owner protecting his investment by hiring a guy with experience in franchise building to help oversee his football operations, which are currently being managed by a young, naive GM with a dubious record in player acquisition? That's SO weird!

A dimwit rich-boy owner protecting his investment by hiring a guy with experience in franchise building to help oversee his football operations, which are currently being managed by a young, naive GM with a dubious record in player acquisition? That's SO weird!

Agree

I live in South Florida adn watch nearly all their games. This is not a bad football team.

Give them a HC, and a decent QB, and I'm concerned

He drove the Chiefs into the toilet,but don't let that stop you from rooting against the Jets.

He drove the Chiefs into the toilet,but don't let that stop you from rooting against the Jets.

Meh, you are misreading my point... all I'm saying is that a new GM, a new (capable) coach and an already talented team might better position the Dolphins to fight with us over 2nd place to the Patriots next year, than the Jets approach of "Schotty is the best, Santonio is the best, Sanchez is the best, Rex has no idea what's going on on the offensive side of the ball, but its the best" is likely to be for us.

Peterson is on record as having told Herman Edwards "as long as I've got a job in the NFL, you've got a job."

So all the Dolphins need are the two hardest positions to fill? Watch out! :rolleyes:

Lets just say Fisher goes there. A tad overrated, but he is a good coach.

There is a QB in Indy that has 54K passing yards that is going to be cut and/or traded.

Brandon Marshall is already there. Reggie Wayne is a FA. Maybe he is franchised, maybe they let him go. Where do you think he would want to go? I am guessing Peyton.

They have Reggie Bush. Fasano a decent enough TE. Plus, they have a mountain of a LT and a decent young Center.

Miami could get real good real quick.

Lets just say Fisher goes there. A tad overrated, but he is a good coach.

There is a QB in Indy that has 54K passing yards that is going to be cut and/or traded.

Brandon Marshall is already there. Reggie Wayne is a FA. Maybe he is franchised, maybe they let him go. Where do you think he would want to go? I am guessing Peyton.

They have Reggie Bush. Fasano a decent enough TE. Plus, they have a mountain of a LT and a decent young Center.

Miami could get real good real quick.

You can pray all you want Pats fan, Manning ain't going anywhere.

Dude, I hope he stays in Indy. He will fade away there because that is too much money in one position and too many holes to fill.

I would hate to see that offense with or without Wayne. The scary thing is, it is not that far of a reach.

No way the Colts are paying him $28,000,000 when no one knows if he'll even be able to play. i think he gets cut, or if some one wants to jump the gun traded for a mid round pick

No way the Colts are paying him $28,000,000 when no one knows if he'll even be able to play. i think he gets cut, or if some one wants to jump the gun traded for a mid round pick

If Jim Irsay was physically capable of bearing children, he'd be carrying Peyton Manning's baby right now.

You've got a drunk owner who routinely tweets song lyrics for no apparent reason.

Manning's getting his 28 million.

If Jim Irsay was physically capable of bearing children, he'd be carrying Peyton Manning's baby right now.

You've got a drunk owner who routinely tweets song lyrics for no apparent reason.

Manning's getting his 28 million.

Peyton has already received 26 million from his extension. He is getting cut.

Archived