Rex scoffs at the notion the locker room isn't fixable

Pac

got rid of Son of Marty --- first major step

not much else he can do "now" since "now" all the players are gone and scattered to their homes and from what I understand about the new CBA can't be reassembled until April 16 for any sort of team activities. I guess players can stay at FP and work out, but I don't know if teams will be allowed to force players in for "voluntary" conditioning anymore the way Parcells got away with it

"We're gonna fix it". Haven't heard that one before.

Haha... Other classic hits included in this collection are:

"Wow. I uh, uhhhh..."

"I'm just gonna be myself..."

"We're gonna win the SuperBowl...."

"we did a lot of good things, give credit to the other team they played a heckuva game..."

"I'd play them again right now..."

I could go on but it's early....

Haha... Other classic hits included in this collection are:

"Wow. I uh, uhhhh..."

"I'm just gonna be myself..."

"We're gonna win the SuperBowl...."

"we did a lot of good things, give credit to the other team they played a heckuva game..."

"I'd play them again right now..."

I could go on but it's early....

But... How do I order?

Tom Coughlin made adjustments in his managerial style so I guess Rex can do the same. But I suspect that Rex Ryan is living proof of the Peter Priciple at work. He was a great defensive coordinator who was promoted to a job that is over his head.

The Peter Principle (which refers to advancement within a corporate structure): "In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."

rex is getting his bravado back

seemed like Rex lite to me. "we haven't accomplished our mission but we're gonna give it our best shot" is a far cry from soon to be champs.

and I'm sure you liked the wry smile out of him when asked about Manning. said he can't talk about him because he's on another team "right now".

and I'm sure you liked the wry smile out of him when asked about Manning. said he can't talk about him because he's on another team "right now".

I'm sure he'll woo him with the same irresistible charm and magnetism that had Todd Heap and Nnamdi Asomugha rushing to the table to sign their Jets contracts.

No question I did, but I've lowered my expectations a bit given all the bad press we've gotten and who we hired as OC... If we keep Moore on, maybe to be passing game coordinator that Haley was rumored for , our chances would be better

I'm sure he'll woo him with the same irresistible charm and magnetism that had Todd Heap and Nnamdi Asomugha rushing to the table to sign their Jets contracts.

If the play is to get Manning or Matt Flynn to come here to run Wildcat and hand off 30 times a game, he will have accomplished very little.

Imagine those meetings-"Yeah, we run Ground and Pount, Peyton". End of meeting .

The only one who signed (or re-signed) for less than he probably would have gotten elsewhere, off the top of my head, was Tomlinson.

I think Mangold would have gotten more had he gone the free agency route. Brick probably would have had more job security, though less overall money, had he gone elsewhere. I think Cromartie had more money on the table with the Raiders, though Im not sure that should even count since thats been crazyland for years. Otherwise thats it. The other guys are all paid market or over market value.

I think Mangold would have gotten more had he gone the free agency route. Brick probably would have had more job security, though less overall money, had he gone elsewhere. I think Cromartie had more money on the table with the Raiders, though Im not sure that should even count since thats been crazyland for years. Otherwise thats it. The other guys are all paid market or over market value.

I don't know. Mangold set the market with his contract. Also he - like Brick - wasn't a FA so it's not the same.

Cromartie got at least as much as he was expected to get from anyone. If we got him for $6-7M/year I'd say we got him at a little discount.

Braylon Edwards wanted over 5x as much from the Jets as he demanded (and ultimately accepted) from others.

I don't know. Mangold set the market with his contract. Also he - like Brick - wasn't a FA so it's not the same.

Cromartie got at least as much as he was expected to get from anyone. If we got him for $6-7M/year I'd say we got him at a little discount.

Braylon Edwards wanted over 5x as much from the Jets as he demanded (and ultimately accepted) from others.

I think the bigger picture is that the alleged "Rex Effect," whereby free agents would flock here to play for SI's Most Desirable Coach has yielded nothing except for Scott (who got paid) and Leonhard (who traded cash for job security). The fact that Heap was in the building and bailed and Nnamdi ran to Philly despite the full-court press pretty much debunked the image of Rex as super-recruiter, IMO. Hell, every player in the league supposedly hates Coughlin and the Giants still reel in decent free agents every year.

I think the bigger picture is that the alleged "Rex Effect," whereby free agents would flock here to play for SI's Most Desirable Coach has yielded nothing except for Scott (who got paid) and Leonhard (who traded cash for job security). The fact that Heap was in the building and bailed and Nnamdi ran to Philly despite the full-court press pretty much debunked the image of Rex as super-recruiter, IMO. Hell, every player in the league supposedly hates Coughlin and the Giants still reel in decent free agents every year.

Nnamdi went for the biggest money. We weren't the highest bidder and the state taxes are half in PA.

Heap has been a starter his whole career. Would you want to be a backup TE on a team QB'd by Mark Sanchez or take your chances with Kolb and (I'm sure in his mind) definitely start? Don't know what we offered him but he didn't get huge dollars from Arizona. Shame because we really could have used him.

I do think players like Rex and barring the Jets being noticeably behind in the dollar offer did like the notion of playing here. At least before the mid-December choke and the well-publicized disharmony.

I'm sure players like Rex. But that's never gonna be a player's first consideration. If all else is equal then money will dictate the decision. Then I'd say its a mix between geography (close to home - or maybe far from home); scheme - fitting a player's self-perceived skill set into a situation where he thinks he can thrive (and presumably gain fifnancially, if not immediately then over the longer term - like Heap in AZ); other situation -- I'd expect a RT FA to like his chances of getting a starting job with the Jets.

The Rex likeability factor is a red herring. No one would sign a contract with the Jets just because he likes Rex.

Guys go where they get paid for the most part. I mean someone might give up a few million in backend money to up to a million in frontend salary to go to a more deisreable spot, but most guys just go where the money is. Even with Scott he held the Jets up for an additional season, though the Jets did a great job with the contract structure to make that a complete non factor. The only free agents that dont go to the highest bidder are pretty much the hangers on that are hoping for one last trip to a SB. A guy like Tomlinson probably had two choices. A team like the Jets for around $1.5 million or a bad team, something like the Redskins or Seahawks, looking to make a headline splash in the local market by signing a name and talking about how the old player is in the best shape of his life and ready for a comeback player of the year type season. They might offer $2-2.5 million. I think those players do choose to go to someone like Rex when Rex is successful.

Nnamdi went for the biggest money. We weren't the highest bidder and the state taxes are half in PA.

Heap has been a starter his whole career. Would you want to be a backup TE on a team QB'd by Mark Sanchez or take your chances with Kolb and (I'm sure in his mind) definitely start? Don't know what we offered him but he didn't get huge dollars from Arizona. Shame because we really could have used him.

I do think players like Rex and barring the Jets being noticeably behind in the dollar offer did like the notion of playing here. At least before the mid-December choke and the well-publicized disharmony.

I think Nnamdi didnt want to play second fiddle to Revis. The money offer between here and Philly was essentially the same and the added marketing bucks would have more than made up for any tax offsets. In the end the difference in money was a $3 million bonus that Asomugha is going to have a hard time getting, especially since the Eagles are a team that may gameplan to keep him from reaching it if his level of play stays how it is (and he may already have lost it). I think the Aso deal was really the first time since Mr. T took over that the Jets front office was pretty much played as fools. It was exactly what happened to the Mets with Carlos Beltran and Jason Bay, guys who sat on big money offers in hopes it would attract another team to sign them. Luckily for the Jets Aso went elsewhere whereas the Mets got stuck with the other 2, especially Bay.

Guys go where they get paid for the most part. I mean someone might give up a few million in backend money to up to a million in frontend salary to go to a more deisreable spot, but most guys just go where the money is. Even with Scott he held the Jets up for an additional season, though the Jets did a great job with the contract structure to make that a complete non factor. The only free agents that dont go to the highest bidder are pretty much the hangers on that are hoping for one last trip to a SB. A guy like Tomlinson probably had two choices. A team like the Jets for around $1.5 million or a bad team, something like the Redskins or Seahawks, looking to make a headline splash in the local market by signing a name and talking about how the old player is in the best shape of his life and ready for a comeback player of the year type season. They might offer $2-2.5 million. I think those players do choose to go to someone like Rex when Rex is successful.

I really wonder if they learned their lesson this off-season with Nnamdi that premier players just don't bite on the "we've got the craziest frat house on campus" sales pitch and that they need to show up with cash in hand to land these guys. Going after Aso was a curious move that I didn't like at all, considering they spent the entire two week FA period begging one player to come in and eat up huge cap space at a position of strength. You really wonder if they thought Rex's appeal was going to be a huge difference-maker.

I think Nnamdi didnt want to play second fiddle to Revis. The money offer between here and Philly was essentially the same and the added marketing bucks would have more than made up for any tax offsets. In the end the difference in money was a $3 million bonus that Asomugha is going to have a hard time getting, especially since the Eagles are a team that may gameplan to keep him from reaching it if his level of play stays how it is (and he may already have lost it). I think the Aso deal was really the first time since Mr. T took over that the Jets front office was pretty much played as fools. It was exactly what happened to the Mets with Carlos Beltran and Jason Bay, guys who sat on big money offers in hopes it would attract another team to sign them. Luckily for the Jets Aso went elsewhere whereas the Mets got stuck with the other 2, especially Bay.

NJ income tax rate = 8.97%

PA income tax rate = 3.07%

http://espn.go.com/b...ng-it-right-now

What's up with the beads Rex? Wonder what they're doing to "fix it now".

This ****en guy, does not know when to shut up. Just be a head coach, stop talking crap, coach football and get our Jets prepared to play football at a high level like you said, get us to the playoffs, win some games there and get us to the SB...other than that I don't want to hear sh*t from your mouth about anything else fat boy!

I do think it's all fixable. A few things will be needed for locker room harmony:

1. A right tackle worthy of starting 16 games, not just a few games at the end of a season when he's fresh and facing defensive players exhausted from a long season. I don't think our QB's pocket presence did anything to help make him look any better than he was, but Hunter was mostly pretty awful in his own right and even his fellow OLmen (who never criticize each other) surely know it.

2. Time for everyone to cool off.

3. Better QB performance.

The first I think it's a no-brainer the FO will address.

The second of course they'll get.

The third is the big question mark. Even still, I think things will be fine over the summer and to start the season. But if it's more of the same with #6 behind center things will unravel during the season again unless a change is then made at the position.

I do think it's all fixable. A few things will be needed for locker room harmony:

1. A right tackle worthy of starting 16 games, not just a few games at the end of a season when he's fresh and facing defensive players exhausted from a long season. I don't think our QB's pocket presence did anything to help make him look any better than he was, but Hunter was mostly pretty awful in his own right and even his fellow OLmen (who never criticize each other) surely know it.

2. Time for everyone to cool off.

3. Better QB performance.

The first I think it's a no-brainer the FO will address.

The second of course they'll get.

The third is the big question mark. Even still, I think things will be fine over the summer and to start the season. But if it's more of the same with #6 behind center things will unravel during the season again unless a change is then made at the position.

You have a point about time to cool off, I for one have not cooled off because this ****en guy does not shut up!....I supported Rex and I supported Sanchez. Both have this season to fix it or they should both get the **** outta here.....

You have a point about time to cool off, I for one have not cooled off because this ****en guy does not shut up!....I supported Rex and I supported Sanchez. Both have this season to fix it or they should both get the **** outta here.....

A bad QB is damn hard to overcome even for a good, experienced HC. I think Rex is fine here even with all his blustering, to the extent that he doesn't stick with Sanchez over a backup no matter how badly he's playing.

Forget about "motivating" him to play better. That's a bunch of silliness. To hear testimony of Jets from Rex down to Mangold, Sanchez doesn't have a motivation problem where he's not working as hard as he should. He should have competition (a serious grown-up's idea of competition) because his play has not earned him a no-competition job.

Now if that happens and this competition is close then I'm sure Sanchez will get the benefit of the doubt, and that's understandable. Of course if it's that close I'd question the seriousness of who they brought in, but I digress. If he's struggling and the team is rekindling the vibes of disharmony, and Rex sticks with him anyway (if he truly has the power to make that move) then he would have to go.

Personally I think he talked up Sanchez so much because it's his style (as he's done it with others like Gholston) and because there really wasn't another option on the roster anyway.

Archived