No ones seems to be talking about what we really need... a Running back

TheShow

Everyone is talking about the O-line, a #2 WR, a safety.... The list goes on and on,

Everyone also says with Tony SOPRANO now our Offensive coordinator that were going back to "Ground~n~Pound" and have no shot at Manning because of this.

If all of this is true, who the HECK! is running the ball? Am I the only one that can see that shonn greene is not the RB we all thought he was in 2009. he looked great then when he got a few carries a game. but since he's gotten the majority of the carries he's looked slow and clumsy. He was great as a Change of pace back, but as the starter, there is nothing special about him,

He had 4 runs of over 20 yards last year, Two!! 100 yard games! he averaged less than 2 catches a game, what kind of safety valve is that for our (Poor) Quarterback. in 09 he was the guy u wanted in there when it was 3rd and 1, or 4th and 1. hell even 3rd n 2! he'd pound it in there. Now he gets touched and falls down. I don't know whats happened to him, but we need a change at running back. I was a big fan of greene for a while. but after this year I'm done with him.

Hopefully we get another back, Peyton Hillis or someone of that nature, and if so there's not reason to Keep Greene around. he's not quick, he can't catch, and he can't help protect the quarterback. he was good at one thing! that was lowering his shoulders and running threw people. after 2 short years, those days are over!

sorry I got on a roll and couldn't shut up! In short! Shonn Greene Needs to be let go! and we need another running back!

so Collage fanatics! who's the good RB's out there that might be available at 16 or in the 2nd round. anyone special? any other RB's that we might have a shot at in FA?

You say we need running backs and you want to let Greene go? So your plan is to add a RB AND create a hole?

if we get a Peyton Hillis type back, then what need to we have for greene? he does nothing better than hillis and McNight can be the change of pace back for whoever we get. so No need for Greene. IF we get another RB.

Beat me to it

but.. but....but.... your screen name.... lol I remember you were so ANTI dmc! He's great. but he gets hurt so much! I'd rather have Michael Bush, he's more of the smash mouth RB we need.

Everyone is talking about the O-line, a #2 WR, a safety.... The list goes on and on,

Everyone also says with Tony SOPRANO now our Offensive coordinator that were going back to "Ground~n~Pound" and have no shot at Manning because of this.

If all of this is true, who the HECK! is running the ball? Am I the only one that can see that shonn greene is not the RB we all thought he was in 2009. he looked great then when he got a few carries a game. but since he's gotten the majority of the carries he's looked slow and clumsy. He was great as a Change of pace back, but as the starter, there is nothing special about him,

He had 4 runs of over 20 yards last year, Two!! 100 yard games! he averaged less than 2 catches a game, what kind of safety valve is that for our (Poor) Quarterback. in 09 he was the guy u wanted in there when it was 3rd and 1, or 4th and 1. hell even 3rd n 2! he'd pound it in there. Now he gets touched and falls down. I don't know whats happened to him, but we need a change at running back. I was a big fan of greene for a while. but after this year I'm done with him.

Hopefully we get another back, Peyton Hillis or someone of that nature, and if so there's not reason to Keep Greene around. he's not quick, he can't catch, and he can't help protect the quarterback. he was good at one thing! that was lowering his shoulders and running threw people. after 2 short years, those days are over!

sorry I got on a roll and couldn't shut up! In short! Shonn Greene Needs to be let go! and we need another running back!

so Collage fanatics! who's the good RB's out there that might be available at 16 or in the 2nd round. anyone special? any other RB's that we might have a shot at in FA?

I'm pretty sure Curtis Martin only had 4 runs over 20 yards in 2004, when he led the league in rushing yards, despite 120 more opportunities. His longest run all season was 25 yards (that one coming in a game against Miami's #31 ranked rush defense, where Jordan had the same yards and TDs on fewer carries). He also averaged barely more catches per game than Martin even though he was the team's 3rd down back (unlike Greene, who came out for LT on most 3rd downs). Also it was behind a QB who - despite his obvious flaws - completed 2/3 of his passes and took far fewer sacks (unlike Sanchez) and wouldn't often make totally inaccurate throws in the flat or 4 yards downfield the way Sanchez does. I only heard a scarce few complaints back then.

The lack of 100-yard games is more a function of a lack of 20-carry games than anything else. There aren't too many RBs that put up 100-yard games when they're usually getting only 10-16 carries. Maybe if the QB, WRs, and special teams didn't piss away possessions like it was the intended result he'd have carried the ball more and, by extension, had more 100 yard games.

Lost in all your complaints, also, is that (just like Martin) Greene held onto the ball like no starter in the NFL last year. 1 fumble, 0 fumbles lost all season.

I do agree on adding another back if they aren't going to use McKnight or Powell on 3rd downs. Forget LT, even if he wanted to come back. He's still got good hands, knows how to pick up blitzes, and does (or used to) garner locker room respect. But he's simply too old and slow to be used much and that will not improve in 2012.

Greene is fine to use - and use regularly - if he has someone else complementing him who would actually make defenders chase someone more than once or twice a season. Greene's not going to make anyone forget Earl Campbell in this lifetime, but as long as the team isn't killing its cap (further) by throwing insane dollars at him his roster spot is and should be safe.

I'm not done with greene.....Oline sucked a$$....

fix the oline and Greene will be fine. ...now his catching skills.....that's another story..lol..

The O line needs another player and our QB has to force the defense to get outta the box. No running back is good with 11 men committing to the run cause they have no fear of your QB. Fix the QB then Greene, McNight and an affordable free agent or late draft pick can get it done.

You don't like Greene but you want Hillis???? There are a lot bigger needs then RB. We need to get Oline, safety, passrusher, LB and WR before we worry about a RB. Especially one like Hillis or a early pick.

So we're a Ground and Pound team and getting a good all around back is a bad Idea ? I see passing teams load up with WR's all the time is it such a bad Idea graound and pound teams load up with really good RB's ?? I mean if this is going to be our identity why not have fresh backs to throw at teams ?? Remember our first run in the playoffs 2 years ago ? We did well because we had a fresh Shonn Greene to throw at teams in the playoffs when Thomas Jones ran out of steam and so why not have that same situation ? Anyone who thinks McKnight or Powell is the answer and pounding Greene all year with the possibility of injury is crazy IMO. Greene goes down then what ?

great idea

our aged slowed down "power runner" Ladamian 2 yards and a cloud of dust Tomlinson says the locker room is toxic so let's throw big bucks at a guy that quit on the Browns last season BIGTIME

Thankfully the FO doesn't use the Message Board system of evaluating talent -- "I heard of that guy so we need to sign him NOW"

So we're a Ground and Pound team and getting a good all around back is a bad Idea ? I see passing teams load up with WR's all the time is it such a bad Idea graound and pound teams load up with really good RB's ?? I mean if this is going to be our identity why not have fresh backs to throw at teams ?? Remember our first run in the playoffs 2 years ago ? We did well because we had a fresh Shonn Greene to throw at teams in the playoffs when Thomas Jones ran out of steam and so why not have that same situation ? Anyone who thinks McKnight or Powell is the answer and pounding Greene all year with the possibility of injury is crazy IMO. Greene goes down then what ?

I didn't say don't get a RB as Larz said everyone adds a RB every year. We need to get another RB but not Hillis or any high priced FA (especially one like Hillis who is overrated and will want why to much money) or a high draft pick. The D stacks the box against us to stop the run, the Oline is one injury away from being a complete mess and we really need a WR who can get downfield. On top of needing help on our own D before we worry about a RB.

RBs don't win games.

I don't disagree with you at all. The problem with getting another RB via FA or the draft is the number of needs the team has. The Jets have Green, McKnight and Powell, you may not love them but they’re on the roster. They cost like $1.5 million total, not much for RB's.

The Jets lack player at OLB, Thomas not coming back, #2 WR Burress not coming back, safety Leonhard probably not back and injured, Smith losing his starting job. That is 4 big holes right there. Then you have Wayne Hunter needs to be upgraded as well as Bart Scott.

If the Jets could get a Leon Washington type at RB I’m all for it. They miss that guy who can take a 2 yard pass and go all the way. Given all the team needs and lack of resources I personally think RB falls to the bottom of the list.

I didn't say don't get a RB as Larz said everyone adds a RB every year. We need to get another RB but not Hillis or any high priced FA (especially one like Hillis who is overrated and will want why to much money) or a high draft pick. The D stacks the box against us to stop the run, the Oline is one injury away from being a complete mess and we really need a WR who can get downfield. On top of needing help on our own D before we worry about a RB.

RBs don't win games.

In short we have issues :). Our WR corp is a joke and our RB's are really not far behind. I think Greene can be good but I also think due to his running style he will be beat down towards the end of the season. Joe McKnight absolutely sucks and Powell is an unknown at this point and Im not ready to judge him. I agree Hillis is not a good move but we need to add a back who can catch the ball and has some speed Look at what a guy like Sproles did for the Saints . We have one real threat on this offense and hes an idiot and he is really not a number 1 WR who can deal with constant Double teams and thats about it from that point on we probably have the slowest offense in the NFL

yeah lets get a guy who is injury prone....

I would not mind Matt Forte since hes young and can actully catch the ball out of the backfield and make plays but Im not sure we have the cash

He is a terrific back and not just running the ball -- he led the Bears in receptions too. A couple of problems though... he will cost a fortune if he actually hits the FA market and the Bears will sign him to a long term deal or, worst case, will franchise tag him while working towards a long term contract.

LaMichael James anyone? Had 1805 yards on 247 attempts with 18 touchdowns. Although his size isnt ideal he could be a an impact player in the NFL and a steal in the 2nd or 3rd or even 4th round

I love this guy -- and his size doesn't bother me since he plays tough between the tackles. He will not get past the second round. I guess we'll have a better idea of this after the combine. He has not been much of a receiver in college though.

He is a terrific back and not just running the ball -- he led the Bears in receptions too. A couple of problems though... he will cost a fortune if he actually hits the FA market and the Bears will sign him to a long term deal or, worst case, will franchise tag him while working towards a long term contract.

Yeah I know Forte is a pipe Dream just like a top #1 type WR is a pipe dream as well. Besides that I think Tannenbaum is going to totally destroy this team over the next few years and we are on the path to the mid 90's I think we will need another Parcells injection in 2 years :)

That said, running back is one of the few positions whose value Tannenbaum has proven he can gauge properly.

Was Greene really worth using their 4th and 7th round picks to trade up for when he is a limited back 2 down back who cant break a long one or catch the ball out of the backfield?

A few runningbacks that will be there in round 2 that will be good i believe...

Doug Martin-Boise State

Lamichael James-Oregon

Lamar Miller-Miami (Fla.)

David Wilson-Virginia Tech

I would love the giants to get Doug Martin.. He's 5"9 220 pounds and is a bowling ball just like MJD/Ray Rice

The kid is a smart instinctive back and runs hard

A few runningbacks that will be there in round 2 that will be good i believe...

Doug Martin-Boise State

Lamichael James-Oregon

Lamar Miller-Miami (Fla.)

David Wilson-Virginia Tech

I would love the giants to get Doug Martin.. He's 5"9 220 pounds and is a bowling ball just like MJD/Ray Rice

The kid is a smart instinctive back and runs hard

Hopefully Martin or Wilson if we get a RB in the 2nd. I don't think Miller is going to be that good and I don't think James is anything more then a ST player, he might come in for 3rd and long but not much else on offense so he's not worth a 2nd round pick.

Archived