Jets to not draft OL early, Ducasse told he'll be competing for the RT spot

RutgersJetFan

Yeah, it's kind of hard to rip Tannenbaum for willing to sacrifice a slight downgrade on the OL because he thought his quarterback would actually improve. Said it when it happened and I'll say it again, Wayne Hunter wasn't the one who double-clutched against Baltimore on a jail break.

Or take a safety with the game on the line, or throw one of the worst pick six balls I've ever seen in Denver, or throw 2 INT's so the same DL player, or on and on and on.

I think there was a lot left undone because of the lock out/short camp because the general thought would be that Sanchez was going to take the next step. They were wrong. And the team suffered accordingly.

I still think a lot of went wrong last year was because of the lockout and the new CBA rules. Oline, Sanchez, WR's, etc. A lot of sh*t that should gel during camp couldnt. Then you dont have that consistency and you're constantly trying to change week to week. Its not what the Jets wanted to do...thats not what the Jets were in 09 and 10. Still think overall, this is a good team, with extra time and some tweaks here and there, despite Sanchez sucking, they'll make it back to the playoffs. And what sh*t luck they had really, this year was by far the easiest playoffs in a while for the AFC. The Jets got one of the toughest roads to the SB ever in 2010.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that it's such a total miscalculation and failure on the coaching end. You don't use second rounders on strongside blockers so you can watch them trip over their feet for two years on the interior, only to switch them back anyways. This should have been done two summers ago the minute he couldn't compete with Slauson, especially with Turner on the roster. Complete waste of time.

You shouldn't be using 2nd rounders on projects period.

6 and 7th rounds I can see it. But a second round pick ?

Yes Mr. t has not had strong drafts the last couple of years and that is hurting this team more than most people realize sometimes

They havent been nearly as bad as people around here make them out to be. Its just that Gholston and Sanchez are colossal busts. Otherwise, they've been pretty decent and comparable to other teams around the league....and in many cases, they've been significantly better.

The fact that everyone is up in arms about the Ducasse pick is laughable really. It was a luxury pick, I know, I know, you dont use luxury picks in the 2nd round...well the Jets did. Going into the season it was the strongest unit on the team and there was solid depth on the OL. If Ducasse came in and unseated a Woody or Slauson...bonus! If not, they had the luxury of bringing him along with guys like Hunter and Turner looking like great depth/potential starters.

Do yourself a favor. Go look at that draft and the players taken near, especially after, Ducasse. There are maybe 1 or 2 players drafted in the area that are worth a sh*t. The rest suck, maybe not Vlad suck, but suck none the less.

The thing I'd like to know about Ducasse is who was in love with him? I know the stuff about him being the first rounder if Wilson didn't fall is probably bullsh*t, but somebody obviously liked him. Everybody claimed that it was Callahan with Slauson, but Ducasse doesn't seem like a Callahan guy. He was not likely to quickly pick up the zone blocking thing. Physically he has the tools, but he was raw as hell coming out and I'd like to know who was in love and thought they could tap his potential. It probably won't amount to much, but from what I've read Ducasse should fit what Sparano wants more than what Callahan and Schottenheimer needed.

My guess is, if he's healthy, the Jets will select Barron from Alabama.

And jif....the drafts have been pretty brutal. Gholston, Sanchez, Ducasse, Wilson, Greene drafting a fullback, McKnight...these guys all stink.

Wilson is a solid player, he'll only get better. Greene is a 1,000 yard rusher on one of the worst passing teams in the league. While he's not dynamic, he's more than adequate and his value for a 3rd rd pick has already paid off for his playoff appearances alone. Connor and McKnight were 4th and 5th round picks, please. Start evaluating other teams in the league in the 4th rd and further and get back to me.

Gholston and Sanchez suck, everyone else has been fine. You guys act like teams find starters with every pick. Not the case. Its a crapshoot that very few teams do well. Over the past 5-6 years, Jets have been one of the better.

Kyle Wilson last year was much better than Kyle Wilson as a rookie. He worked out with Revis and it showed. he had several key pass breakups.

Right...and for a first round pick, his awareness is poor. Resigning Cromartie and our pursuance of NNamdi showed this orgazations faith in Kyle Wilson.

No there isnt a stat for ball awareness but there are actual things you need to watch(crazy right?) to see a players weaknesses. How many times does a ball need to bounce off of Wilsons face?

How many times does a ball need to bounce off of Wilsons face?

that's a lack of hands not a lack of awareness. and ya know what they say if a CB could catch he'd be playing offense.

either way he's a solid CB and career tragectory much better than the kid from Rutgers.

that's a lack of hands not a lack of awareness. and ya know what they say if a CB could catch he'd be playing offense.

either way he's a solid CB and career tragectory much better than the kid from Rutgers.

Id accept a ton of passes that hit him in the face rather than the WRs hands. His job is to prevent the catch, not make it.

He still gives way too much cushion inside the RZ, but he made leaps and bounds in coverage this season. His PFF #s get skewed because of how awful a tackler he is, but he also only gave up 3 TD's and committed 1 penalty on the entire year. I think he went something like 40/60 on his catch rate, but with how awesome Revis and Cro were in that regard, that's pretty solid for a 2nd year player still learning a new position.

He still gives way too much cushion inside the RZ, but he made leaps and bounds in coverage this season. His PFF #s get skewed because of how awful a tackler he is, but he also only gave up 3 TD's and committed 1 penalty on the entire year. I think he went something like 40/60 on his catch rate, but with how awesome Revis and Cro were in that regard, that's pretty solid for a 2nd year player still learning a new position.

Now was it so difficult to respond initially with this, or are you that snarky in real life as well?

In all seriousness, I dont get your douchiness directed in my direction.

Right...and for a first round pick, his awareness is poor. Resigning Cromartie and our pursuance of NNamdi showed this orgazations faith in Kyle Wilson.

No there isnt a stat for ball awareness but there are actual things you need to watch(crazy right?) to see a players weaknesses. How many times does a ball need to bounce off of Wilsons face?

No, it really doesnt. Rex obviously puts a premium on CB. We play in a QB heavy league and have to face Brady twice a year and the year before, had to face 3 SB winning QB's on the way to the SB.

Wilson at one point of the season was one of the most efficient CB's in the league covering the slot. Thats very impressive. The kid can play and his ball awareness improved drastically hence his 2 INT's and his many batted balls. I dont recall balls bouncing off his face mas as you say. He's a fine nickel corner which is extremely valuable in today's NFL.

Put it this way - currently, he's the best CB taken in that draft. Kareem Jackson and McCourty are not very good, both taken before him. Patrick Robinson taken 4 spots later, not playing NFL Football. Chis Cook, shortly after that, not very good. Rest of the guys, pretty much doodoo.

No, it really doesnt. Rex obviously puts a premium on CB. We play in a QB heavy league and have to face Brady twice a year and the year before, had to face 3 SB winning QB's on the way to the SB.

Wilson at one point of the season was one of the most efficient CB's in the league covering the slot. Thats very impressive. The kid can play and his ball awareness improved drastically hence his 2 INT's and his many batted balls. I dont recall balls bouncing off his face mas as you say. He's a fine nickel corner which is extremely valuable in today's NFL.

Put it this way - currently, he's the best CB taken in that draft. Kareem Jackson and McCourty are not very good, both taken before him. Patrick Robinson taken 4 spots later, not playing NFL Football. Chis Cook, shortly after that, not very good. Rest of the guys, pretty much doodoo.

Good post. I agree with what you're saying as I probably shouldnt have lumped Wilson into the mix of failed picks. Moreso my frustration with Tannenbaum and his philosophy and alsoWilsons struggles to finding the ball in the air. He certainly did improve last year.

As far as McKnight...he was never that good at USC, just seemed like a strange pick and there's nothing I've seen in him as a rtunner that makes me believe he'll be that elusive 3rd down player we need. And with Connor, with the amount of needs this team has in key spots...the fullback seems like a luxury pick, regardless of round.

Dude, really? If Gainesville could collectively punch you in the dick right now...

I agree mostly except Joe Haden has had a decent career

Good post. I agree with what you're saying as I probably shouldnt have lumped Wilson into the mix of failed picks. Moreso my frustration with Tannenbaum and his philosophy and alsoWilsons struggles to finding the ball in the air. He certainly did improve last year.

As far as McKnight...he was never that good at USC, just seemed like a strange pick and there's nothing I've seen in him as a rtunner that makes me believe he'll be that elusive 3rd down player we need. And with Connor, with the amount of needs this team has in key spots...the fullback seems like a luxury pick, regardless of round.

There was a point in the season before McKnight started coughing it up where this entire board had a hard on for him. The guys had almost 1400 all purpose yards, had a pressure on D...he versatile. If he could have held on to the ball this season, it would have been a damn good year. Anyway, I cant kill teams for missing in the 4th round and beyond. I'm sure statistically its very difficult to be an impact player coming out of those rounds.

And as much as I love to kill players, I'm a believer in give'em 3 years, then lets talk.

Archived