Bama Pro Day

bLguerriero1

Did Kirkpatrick run? Since the Landry signing, I have been thinking about this kid and his potential at FS. He would seemingly be a perfect complement to Landry's in the box thumping style. He could stand to put on a few lbs, but that is always a much easier adjustment; especially seeing as how he is 6'3" and will likely fill out into a Safety one day anyhow...I see Antrel Rolle like ability in this one.

Did Kirkpatrick run? Since the Landry signing, I have been thinking about this kid and his potential at FS. He would seemingly be a perfect complement to Landry's in the box thumping style. He could stand to put on a few lbs, but that is always a much easier adjustment; especially seeing as how he is 6'3" and will likely fill out into a Safety one day anyhow...I see Antrel Rolle like ability in this one.

Sadly he returned to school, but i feel the same way about him

Problem is Kirkpatrick is an idiot.

I would gladly take an idiot with talent than a supposed smart guy, Eric Smith, standing next to Laron Landry...When did Kirkpatrick decide he was staying in school? I hadn't read that.

An idiot with talent who you want to move to a new position as a rookie. Safety, particularly the uber popular FS were all looking for, is not a position for dummies.

Oh and I maintain I like Eric Smith. I think he's a good role player, which teams need as much as they need studs and stars.

An idiot with talent who you want to move to a new position as a rookie. Safety, particularly the uber popular FS were all looking for, is not a position for dummies.

Oh and I maintain I like Eric Smith. I think he's a good role player, which teams need as much as they need studs and stars.

What evidence, other than smoking pot, do we have to suggest that Kirkpatrick even is an idiot? I watched a lot of Bama games last season, I cannot think of a single example of a time when he was clearly blowing an assignment. He did play terrific ball in a similar pro-style defense to what we run. Also, I have seen Kirkpatrick play Safety before, he provides top talent and serviceable size to the new position...

I am pro-Barron if that is how it goes down. I just think that schematically, and long term, Dre Kirkpatrick may well be a better fit for this defense. If we go into next season with Revis, Cromartie, Barron, and Landry, that is still at least as good as any secondary in the past 5 years. Hopefully if we go Barron, we can still snag an OLB, like Curry, in the second. Those additions, along with a FA RT and Braylon Edwards, which is certainly not impossible, would make us very formidable in my eyes heading into next season.

See, T0mShane is gets it.

You want a plug and play talent that will have a positive impact on how the Jets play football? That would be Barron.

Draft Barron and start him for ten years. Done.

I'd gladly take Barron. If we traded back and got extra picks. At 16 you need an IMPACT player. I don't get that from this guy.

the problem with Dre is that you don't draft an underclassman CB with the hopes of playing him at a position he's never played. That's a project pick and the 2nd or 3rd is a better fit. Ideally he'd bust out at CB first (like Rolle) before trying him at safety. also remember these guys have a real monetary motivation to stay at CB, the pay is much better than at S. it's not madden you can't just tell the corner to play safety and tell the wide receiver to play tight end. Their agents etc won't love that idea.

unofficial results;

4.55 Mark Barron

Not bad...not bad. Still dont like a safety that high in the draft. Barron isnt an eye popping prospect.

Pass rush is more important and a better value at 16. The Jets have had a top 5 pass defense for the last 3 years in the league with Jags at S, so I'm feeling fortunate that we wont see Barron selected at 16 and we'll get a pass rusher.

I'd gladly take Barron. If we traded back and got extra picks. At 16 you need an IMPACT player. I don't get that from this guy.

OH, you're looking for IMPACT talent. I get it. Sound criteria. Good luck with that. I don't even know what that means, or what the expectations for that would be by position.

I would not turn down a pass rusher, particularly Ingram or Perry, but there really aren't that many players I'm taking over Barron at 16.

I could see 8 sack guy with a couple of 10 and12s in there.

8 sacks a year would be better than anything we have on the team already if he can stop the run too, which I think he can, I wouldn't be completely discouraged if we took him in the first although we do have to go for a safety in the early rounds too so I wouldn't be upset with either Upshaw or Barron in the first. Both would make an immediate impact.

Can Upshaw be a consistent 10+ sack guy?

No. It's over for Upshaw as a first round 34 OLB prospect imo. Too many reports from too many different sources are saying he doesn't have the feet/quickness. Either a 43 team will take him to play DE, unless he slips into the second, from there he'll probably be worth the pick regardless.

To many reports on upshaw not having enough quickness?? 1 or 2 people's opinion is not too many. And besides forget the reports, look at te film. He's played great in the toughest conference and not to mention he made plays in big games. Maybe he can't run a 40 as fast as you'd like but he gets to the QB somehow. He's one of those players that finds himself in the right place at the right time more often then not. Let's just say, if he was on NE I would be nervous of his abilities come game time.

No. It's over for Upshaw as a first round 34 OLB prospect imo. Too many reports from too many different sources are saying he doesn't have the feet/quickness.

those sources are all wrong. I don't know how to explain it other than if you put all these guys in pads, on the football field, on the South team in Mobile. Upshaw is your alpha dog. Even over Ingram and Coples. He's just a nasty football player. As a guy in shorts he's not perfect. As a football player he's ridiculous. This guy is the anti-gholston.

just to be clear I'd be happy with either upshaw or Ingram at 16. I have preferences but a strong Case can be made for either of these players. if they are both there it's a really hard pick. Ingram worked out better but Upshaw is a better football player.

those sources are all wrong. I don't know how to explain it other than if you put all these guys in pads, on the football field, on the South team in Mobile. Upshaw is your alpha dog. Even over Ingram and Coples. He's just a nasty football player. As a guy in shorts he's not perfect. As a football player he's ridiculous. This guy is the anti-gholston.

just to be clear I'd be happy with either upshaw or Ingram at 16. I have preferences but a strong Case can be made for either of these players. if they are both there it's a really hard pick. Ingram worked out better but Upshaw is a better football player.

Great post. It gets much trickier for the Jets if both of these guys are gone. They have to want a LB but I wonder at what point the balance tips toward another position. Will they draft Mercilus or Perry or turn to another position?

To many reports on upshaw not having enough quickness?? 1 or 2 people's opinion is not too many. And besides forget the reports, look at te film. He's played great in the toughest conference and not to mention he made plays in big games. Maybe he can't run a 40 as fast as you'd like but he gets to the QB somehow. He's one of those players that finds himself in the right place at the right time more often then not. Let's just say, if he was on NE I would be nervous of his abilities come game time.

Great post. It gets much trickier for the Jets if both of these guys are gone. They have to want a LB but I wonder at what point the balance tips toward another position. Will they draft Mercilus or Perry or turn to another position?

It's more than just one or two people. Upshaw is a beast. He's one bad dude. He'll probably end up having a nice, long NFL career. He's just not going to be an elite edge rusher the Jets are looking for and he'll be a liability in space and dropping back in coverage...hence a better fit as a 43 DE.

It's more than just one or two people. Upshaw is a beast. He's one bad dude. He'll probably end up having a nice, long NFL career. He's just not going to be an elite edge rusher the Jets are looking for and he'll be a liability in space and dropping back in coverage...hence a better fit as a 43 DE.

he fits into a 34 defense in the same way as Jarrett Johnson or Bryan Thomas. He may not be able to cover like thomas, but he's probably a better pass rusher, and as hard as it seems, better at the POA.

Archived