Jets express interest in free agent safety Yeremiah Bell

F.Chowds

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Jets have expressed interest in former Dolphins safety Yeremiah Bell, according to his agent Drew Rosenhaus. Bell, 34, was released by Miami last month.

Rosenhaus told a television station in South Florida on Sunday night that the Eagles and Patriots are also interested, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Bell, who played eight seasons in Miami, was the Dolphins' leading tackler last season at strong safety.

Agreed, but this "Anyone but Eric Smith" policy secures only mediocrity. Let's try to upgrade the position for the long-term rather than just bringing in any old JAG.

Agreed, but there is nothing to say you can't sign said old JAG just to ensure that the NFL's single worst starting safety is taken off of the field while still continuing to try to upgrade the position throughout the remainder of the offseason via FA, the draft and even UDFA.

Old or not, anything that gets Eric Smith off the field more is a win. As long as Bell is capable of remaining on his feet throughout a play, he's an instant upgrade.

Saying as long as is the same as saying "if" and if was a fifth I would offer you a shot.....

I would like to see us replace smith who needs to be replaced with someone younger (than 34 anyway) if at all possible.

Agreed, but there is nothing to say you can't sign said old JAG just to ensure that the NFL's single worst starting safety is taken off of the field while still continuing to try to upgrade the position throughout the remainder of the offseason via FA, the draft and even UDFA.

BG, you know as well as I do that when the Jets sign a JAG, the position is fixed. They're not going to bring in a young player to compete with him and then cut the JAG when he loses his job. That's not what we do. Signing Yeremiah Bell = still having the worst safeties in the NFL and having no youth at the position to boot.

You don't even suck worse than Smith. Seriously, the criteria for being better is not falling over on your ******* face every two seconds.

I don't know man, that doesn't mean much...have you seen Hess ballhawking back there? He puts Ed Reed to shame. Truth.

Bell would be Landry insurance, imo. We'd have Landry, Bell, Smith and still without a free safety that can cover?

Also, I thought Barron was in the mold of Landry / Polamalu? So... hmm. I'm at a loss.

BG, you know as well as I do that when the Jets sign a JAG, the position is fixed. They're not going to bring in a young player to compete with him and then cut the JAG when he loses his job. That's not what we do. Signing Yeremiah Bell = still having the worst safeties in the NFL and having no youth at the position to boot.

Ugh, I guess you're right. I'm just so desperate to get more safeties on this roster not named Eric Smith.

All Time Jets Who Were Great!! (or really good) But Yeah Basically, For Like...Other Teams:

QB: Brett Favre, Boomer, Neil O'Donnell

RB: Ladainian Tomlinson, Dave Meggett

WR Art Monk

TE: Joel Dreessens

OL: Jonathan Goodwin, Randy Thomas, Kareem McKenzie, Jumbo Elliot

DT: Kris Jenkins

DE: Jason Taylor, Hugh Douglas

OLB: Roman Phifer, John Abraham

ILB: Bryan Cox, James Farrior, Sam Cowart

CB: Ty Law, James Hasty

S: Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater

?

Agreed, but this "Anyone but Eric Smith" policy secures only mediocrity. Let's try to upgrade the position for the long-term rather than just bringing in any old JAG.

I agree with you but at least getting Smith the F off the field is a start.

All Time Jets Who Were Great!! (or really good) But Yeah Basically, For Like...Other Teams:

QB: Brett Favre, Boomer, Neil O'Donnell

RB: Ladainian Tomlinson, Dave Meggett

WR Art Monk

TE: Joel Dreessens

OL: Jonathan Goodwin, Randy Thomas, Kareem McKenzie, Jumbo Elliot

DT: Kris Jenkins

DE: Jason Taylor, Hugh Douglas

OLB: Roman Phifer, John Abraham

ILB: Bryan Cox, James Farrior, Sam Cowart

CB: Ty Law, James Hasty

S: Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater

?

Hard to leave Riggins and Favre off that list.

Bell is a guy you bring in for min, for WHEN Landry gets hurt.

Then you'll have Smith and his Dad back there.

As far as Baron goes, why would you draft a 2nd round talent at 16?

Jets are stuck at S again this year.

Lol @ Barron being a 2nd round talent.

Archived