Jets won't comment about Darrelle Revis contract- PFT

Kentucky Jet

Jets won’t comment about Darrelle Revis contract

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT

revis1-e1325130989978.jpg?w=250 Reuters

In September of 2010, just after Darrelle Revis ended his holdout and signed a new four-year contract with the Jets, we noted that another holdout could be coming after the first two seasons of that deal.

Well, now Revis has played the first two seasons of that deal, and the chatter is beginning: Could Revis be planning to hold out again?

Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum was asked today if he’d be willing to do a new deal with Revis, and he refused to answer.

Darrelle is under contract,” Tannenbaum said. “Darrelle is obviously a really important part of our team, and we look forward to the 2012 season and hopefully accomplishing a lot of great things together.”

When Tannenbaum was asked to clarify whether the Jets would consider renegotiating Revis’s contract, he wouldn’t get into it.

“I said all I’m going to say about his contract,” Tannenbaum said.

Jets coach Rex Ryan was similarly reserved this week when asked whether there had been any talk of a new deal for Revis.

“I think first off, those conversations would be private, if they actually did take place,” Ryan said. “I think any conversations, if that was the case, they’d take place between Mike and football administration. So that’s what I would say about it.”

After Revis ended his holdout in 2010, he said he was happy that he’d make $32.5 million in the first two years of his front-loaded four-year deal, but that the total of $13.5 million he’s set to make in 2012 and 2013 isn’t enough.

“If I continue to play ball like I usually do, we’ll probably be back at that same position we were this year,” Revis said at the time.

Revis has continued to play ball like he usually does. It remains to be seen whether he’ll demand that the Jets pay him accordingly — and if he does, whether the Jets will give in to his demands as they did two years ago.

This greedy "me first" attitude of his is starting to piss me off a bit. If he wants to hold out AGAIN and not uphold the contract he signed just let his a$$ go. I know he's the best at his position, but it's a team game and it takes a team effort. If he's only worried about his money and not about his team, then maybe he's part of the problem on this team. .......let the flaming being

This greedy "me first" attitude of his is starting to piss me off a bit. If he wants to hold out AGAIN and not uphold the contract he signed just let his a$$ go. I know he's the best at his position, but it's a team game and it takes a team effort. If he's only worried about his money and not about his team, then maybe he's part of the problem on this team. .......let the flaming being

In his defense, he hasn't spoken about his contract in two years; this beat writer is quoting a statement made about 20 months ago. Will he be underpaid at 13 million over two seasons?? Most likely. But I have a feeling all parties know this and will be more proactive with this next contract then the last.

I can foresee this topic being discussed everywhere for the next 8 months and turn into the most twisted story ever. The Jets cannot afford to lose the best of the best. Pay the man! At least he's worth a contract extension.

Revis doesnt have nearly as much leverage this time around imo

Word. Jason thinks it'd be nuts for Revis to do it, so that's what I'm clinging to. All Revis has to do is not blow up a knee for the next two years and he can walk out the door to begin a series of Deion-like two year, high dollar mercenary deals with other squads.

I can foresee this topic being discussed everywhere for the next 8 months and turn into the most twisted story ever. The Jets cannot afford to lose the best of the best. Pay the man! At least he's worth a contract extension.

If Revis isn't worth a monster contract to this organization... then this franchise is a joke.

Revis doesnt have nearly as much leverage this time around imo

Why is that? And please don't say "Cause we have Kyle Wilson". If thats your response, PM a mod and request a "permaban". Its not what you think, its like steak and rainbows. You'll love it.

Why is that? And please don't say "Cause we have Kyle Wilson". If thats your response, PM a mod and request a "permaban". Its not what you think, its like steak and rainbows. You'll love it.

Because believe it or not he wasnt Superman last year and there's no Super Bowl or bust expectations surrounding this team like there was in 2010. This team aint winning it all anyway this year.

If Revis honors the contract, he becomes a UFA in 2014. If he holds out, he gets locked in for two more years after that (I believe).

Because believe it or not he wasnt Superman last year and there's no Super Bowl or bust expectations surrounding this team like there was in 2010. This team aint winning it all anyway this year.

You're right. He was mediocre at best. Many other corners that outplayed Revis. Spot on. Keep preaching the good stuff, Patriots fan.

If Revis honors the contract, he becomes a UFA in 2014. If he holds out, he gets locked in for two more years after that (I believe).

No joke, your post just depressed the poop out of me. I am going to say thank you for the knowledge, and now I will proceed to believe that we will rework the contract long before 2014 gets here.

You're right. He was mediocre at best. Many other corners that outplayed Revis. Spot on. Keep preaching the good stuff, Patriots fan.

uh, ok. He's the best in the league clearly, but there wont be the same sense of urgency from the Jets this time around if he sits out again.

uh, ok. He's the best in the league clearly, but there wont be the same sense of urgency from the Jets this time around if he sits out again.

Not too sure about that, my friend. Tanny and Rex HAVE TO be feeling some heat here and losing Revis for any stretch could be the death knell for one or both of them. I'd imagine if Revis held out, they'd give themselves a week to get him signed before they turned around and traded him for as many picks and players as they could get back in order to pad the roster on the fly.

Not too sure about that, my friend. Tanny and Rex HAVE TO be feeling some heat here and losing Revis for any stretch could be the death knell for one or both of them. I'd imagine if Revis held out, they'd give themselves a week to get him signed before they turned around and traded him for as many picks and players as they could get back in order to pad the roster on the fly.

Valid. I was thinking more from a fan perspective I guess. This place was a soap opera when that Revis thing went down two years ago. Fast forward till now, the Jets crumble, the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl again, and we sign Tebow. I think I'm immune from being annoyed at another Revis holdout.

The problem for Revis is that he and his agents view him as deserving DE type money. No other team, other than the Raiders in a foolish mistake with Aso, have ever considered that for a corner. You get paid essentially your positional market value. Revis is pretty much paid properly on that scale. The Jets have reservations about blowing up their cap structure for a premier pass rusher and there is no way you can then go and make that same cap commitment for a guy who doesn't even pick off the football. At some point you have to ask yourself what is better value? Darrelle Revis eating up 14-16 million in cap room a year or Ike Taylor costing $7-8 million? Revis is a far better player but there comes a point where the added return is no longer there to justify the salary. That type of contract is what destroys teams like the Cowboys and Redskins.

Another thing to consider is that it sure seems as if Rex and Tannenbaum have hitched their carts to this Tebow/Sanchez deal. Its a two year trial. Tebow is a free agent after 2013 and Mark can easily be cut if he is still here in 2013. If both players go so will the head coach and the GM. As the owner of the team you cant give them permission to saddle a new regime with a Revis contract. At the very least you have to evaluate 2012 before making any large financial commitments that extend beyond 2013.

The problem for Revis is that he and his agents view him as deserving DE type money. No other team, other than the Raiders in a foolish mistake with Aso, have ever considered that for a corner. You get paid essentially your positional market value. Revis is pretty much paid properly on that scale. The Jets have reservations about blowing up their cap structure for a premier pass rusher and there is no way you can then go and make that same cap commitment for a guy who doesn't even pick off the football. At some point you have to ask yourself what is better value? Darrelle Revis eating up 14-16 million in cap room a year or Ike Taylor costing $7-8 million? Revis is a far better player but there comes a point where the added return is no longer there to justify the salary. That type of contract is what destroys teams like the Cowboys and Redskins.

first off Revis isn't asking for a new deal. the media is speculating that he will. that's not the same as Revis asking for a new deal. We should make that point very clear. This is a story created by the media, based on zero evidence.

secondly the importance to Revis to Rex's scheme is huge. I honestly believe if you asked Rex which defender would you rather have, Mario Williams or Revis, he'd take Revis. He'd take him over Ware, Jared Allen or any other sack master. Rex's scheme is all about having a man to man guy on an island while he gets creative with everyone else. Without 1 (or more) shut down CB the scheme falls apart. Rex's scheme is not about getting pressure from the front four. that's nice, obviously, would be a nice thing to have but it's not how he runs his defense. Rex can't swap Ike Taylor (who sucks btw) in for Revis and expect the same results.

first off Revis isn't asking for a new deal. the media is speculating that he will. that's not the same as Revis asking for a new deal. We should make that point very clear. This is a story created by the media, based on zero evidence.

secondly the importance to Revis to Rex's scheme is huge. I honestly believe if you asked Rex which defender would you rather have, Mario Williams or Revis, he'd take Revis. He'd take him over Ware, Jared Allen or any other sack master. Rex's scheme is all about having a man to man guy on an island while he gets creative with everyone else. Without 1 (or more) shut down CB the scheme falls apart. Rex's scheme is not about getting pressure from the front four. that's nice, obviously, would be a nice thing to have but it's not how he runs his defense. Rex can't swap Ike Taylor (who sucks btw) in for Revis and expect the same results.

Rex's defense is built around the guys he has, and would change if those players changed. If he didn't have Revis and had an all-star pass rusher, I have no question he would make things work just fine with what he had. He never had a CB anywhere close to Revis' ability while in Baltimore, yet his defenses seemed to do just fine.

i am hardpressed to think of anything that would surprise me more than revis playing year 3 of the current contract at 6MM. I am sure that the only reason that they came to 6 for each of the last 2 years was to give revis comfort if he blew out a knee that he wasnt playing a 2 year contract that someone stated above. noone needs to say it, it was said as soon as he signed this contract. he wasnt playing year 3 if he stayed the top CB in the league. The question is, what is the hit on this years cap when they draw up essentially the same contract.

Rex's defense is built around the guys he has, and would change if those players changed. If he didn't have Revis and had an all-star pass rusher, I have no question he would make things work just fine with what he had. He never had a CB anywhere close to Revis' ability while in Baltimore, yet his defenses seemed to do just fine.

honest question if Rex had the choice between Mario or Revis who do you think he'd choose?

Fair point about Revis being essential to Ryan's scheme with the Jets, but he tailored his scheme to Revis when he got here because Revis was his best player, Rex is very creative, and will adjust based on talent, this was not his scheme in Balt. because his 4 best players were a DT, MLB, OLB, and a S, and all can be considered on the same level of Revis in 2008, 2 are sure fire HOF's. Rex let Ngata, and Lewis make plays up the middle using other players like Scott to open up the space for them, Suggs was the playmaker in the pass rush game, and Reed had freedom to roam CF, make plays, or play the LOS to make plays. Rex's goal was to get pressure on the QB and force him to throw in traffic where Reed could make a play on it. Here he has the CB's force the QB to hold onto the ball so he can get his blitzers through because that's where his talent is at CB, where as his pass rush and blitzers didn't need help in Balt. because they got there very quickly because thats where his talent was, and his horrible CB's didn't have to cover very long, and when they did they got burned, and if Reed wasn't there to bail them out that's when big plays happened against them. Here the big plays happen when a QB identifies the weak man to man assignment, usually TE's, and occasionally RB's.

If you asked Rex which scheme he preferred I would assume he is going to say the scheme he is currently coaching regardless if it's true or not because he will never say anything negative about his current team/players.

honest question if Rex had the choice between Mario or Revis who do you think he'd choose?

Oh, I'm not arguing that point, I just don't think Rex's defense would fall apart without Revis though. He's survived just fine without him before and could do so again. Frankly, while I think he would choose Revis under the current circumstances, if the situations were reversed and Mario was the one who was on the Jets from the day Rex showed up, and thus was the centerpiece of Rex's Jets D, then he would probably be Rex's pick.

Archived