All Eyez on Me, The Vontaze Burfict Story Part. 1

drocksthaparty

Sadly all indications point towards this being a very short story. Once considered a possible first round prospect the debate now is if Burfict is drafted at all. It's quite possible he's clinically insane. He has absolutely embarrassed himself leading up to the draft. He was horrible at the combine. Out of shape, fat, slow and disinterested. He was so bad at his pro day he had another pro day only to look just as bad. He's probably the biggest disappointment in this year's entire draft. Er, all that said I say draft him in the 7th!!

There was also this

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/dennis_dillon/04/20/vontaze.burfict/index.html

I really wish I was able to coach him. His story is so familiar and I feel like I could reach him and create one hell of a football player. He really sounds like a lost kid just looking for guidance.

Only reason I'd drsft him is because we have comp picks to throw away.

I like that you word it "picks to throw away" when so many people on here bitch about missed picks in the later rounds as a black mark on Tanny. That being said bring him to NY, Rex can reach him (if he wants).

I like that you word it "picks to throw away" when so many people on here bitch about missed picks in the later rounds as a black mark on Tanny. That being said bring him to NY, Rex can reach him (if he wants).

Some people are just dummies...The Jets are probably actually pretty good with the late picks if it starts from the 4th on (no facts just bullsh*t) and the chances of finding a good, starting caliber player past the third is pretty low.

Since his stock has dropped, all the "experts" began to pile on with their opinions as to Burfict's ability to play. A lot of it is wrong or just exaggerated. Mike Mayock, who I respect, claimed he has poor instincts. I vehemently disagree. From what I see Burfict lacks discipline and technique. A lot of what he needs is someone to take him under their wing and build his confidence. The guy has talent, unquestioned, but he needs to focus his talent into his position. A lot of times he runs around looking to make a play, and then he is caught out of place.

I've got to believe Rex is at the least intrigued by Burfict. He's dealt with "troublemakers" before and had good results.

Give him a shot.

Since his stock has dropped, all the "experts" began to pile on with their opinions as to Burfict's ability to play. A lot of it is wrong or just exaggerated. Mike Mayock, who I respect, claimed he has poor instincts. I vehemently disagree. From what I see Burfict lacks discipline and technique. A lot of what he needs is someone to take him under their wing and build his confidence. The guy has talent, unquestioned, but he needs to focus his talent into his position. A lot of times he runs around looking to make a play, and then he is caught out of place.

I've got to believe Rex is at the least intrigued by Burfict. He's dealt with "troublemakers" before and had good results.

Give him a shot.

I agree. He's undisciplined as all hell...but the way he pursues the ball his relentless. He's violent, which is good. We have enough guys that arent already.

I didn't know who it was at the time but I remember watching the game screaming wrap your arms at 7:43. Now I know it was Burfict.

He tends to put his head down when he makes a tackle. If they teach him to watch what he tackles that will be a major improvement.

I really have to disagree with Mike Mayock. The guy has all the talent, he just needs to put it together from the mental part.

Sadly all indications point towards this being a very short story. Once considered a possible first round prospect the debate now is if Burfict is drafted at all. It's quite possible he's clinically insane. He has absolutely embarrassed himself leading up to the draft. He was horrible at the combine. Out of shape, fat, slow and disinterested. He was so bad at his pro day he had another pro day only to look just as bad. He's probably the biggest disappointment in this year's entire draft. Er, all that said I say draft him in the 7th!!

I agree with you, but still worth a risk as a late late draft pick. He has a much better upside than say... Scotty McKnight.

i rather have this guy who has the talent than some bum we always seem to pick up..

Exactly what constitutes "talent"? He isn't particularly fast. He is out of shape. I actually like this guy, but reaching for him because some people thought he was a first round pick a year or two ago isn't going to help us much. Everybody has talent. Even those UDFAs we pull in.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Polian and Parcells had him pegged as a second rounder on their draft board. Im not sure if they were completely disregarding off the field stuff, but the kid clearly was higly regarded. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone use as high as a 5th on him. Also wouldn't be surprised to see it be the ravens and have him become the next lewis; there's clearly a far greater chance of him washing out completely, but i just have a sneaking suspicion that if he finds someone that can actually get to him, he'll turn into a player.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Polian and Parcells had him pegged as a second rounder on their draft board. Im not sure if they were completely disregarding off the field stuff, but the kid clearly was higly regarded. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone use as high as a 5th on him. Also wouldn't be surprised to see it be the ravens and have him become the next lewis; there's clearly a far greater chance of him washing out completely, but i just have a sneaking suspicion that if he finds someone that can actually get to him, he'll turn into a player.

Yeah, you see the talent level but there's just no discipline on the field. Seems to like football but weight gets up and he's not as athletic as you think he could be. The odds he ends up being a player end up smaller and smaller the longer this offseason goes, but given late round guys are probably coinflips anyway I'd take a shot on him with one of the comp picks and see if the team gets lucky.

The other guy who failed his test, Hosley, is a guy they've apparently shown a lot of interest in as well. Given the team's depth at corner isn't tremendous right now and he'll probably slip some, could be a day 3 option if he falls.

I dont think we are the only team thinking about taking a chance on this guy, those extra picks probably wont land him, since our 4 - 6 picks usually suck anyway I say take a chance and lock this kid up. i hope they pick him up in the 4-6th

you should check out our 4th round picks. they have been good or at least above average. no way they suck.

• 1 year later...

Archived