The 2012 Draft class will be the best Jets draft since '06/'07.

SenorGato

Yay or nay?

The Pass Rusher:

6'6 290 pounds of pure fury, Quinton Coples has the power to create lanes for other pass rushers and the athleticism to take advantage of lanes that are there for the taking. The dynamic defensive lineman from North Carolina will play multiple roles in Rex Ryan's D (3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT, and possibly even a little LB), and the best guess is that most of them will involve allowing him to rush the passer. A gift from Jah himself on draft day, he was considered a top 5 prospect coming into his senior year. Somehow, he's not even the biggest steal of the draft for the Jets because:

The Freak WR:

Stephen Hill, the 6'4" 220 pounder with 4.3 speed from GT, was supposed to go in the first. Everyone had him in the late first and as high as the 2nd WR drafted. He was the 6th WR drafted and it came in the 2nd. It cost the Jets a 5th and a 7th to get him. He averaged 29 yards a catch in college. He's made the circus one handed grab. He's got hops, but he ain't beer.

The Nasty LB:

DeMario Davis, like the other two, can move. His workout numbers were sick nasty awesome like Emily Ratajkowski's butthole. He's a leader on the field and off, but more important is that he filled the stat line in college. He's big, fast, explosive, scheme versatile, intelligent, and high motor. That's pretty much the total package at LB, one of the easier positions to translate from college to pro when all those conditions are met.

I only added all those words because I felt like I had to. Really yay or nay was all that was necessary. Honestly, I still can't believe how lucky the Bean Counter got on draft day with these first three picks. The other picks don't really matter, they're icing on the cake. The RB might be something.

Devil's Advocate version aka KEEPIN IT REALZ, SON

The "pass rusher":

A guy who was projected to be a Top Three pick only a year ago but became a pariah when NFL teams actually sat down to interview him and investigate his character. Even the team that drafted him at 16 thought so little of him that they considered trading down into the mid-20's, confident that Coples would still be on the board. Can Rex find a way to motivate a guy who is alleged to be a headcase? Maybe...but where in Rex's history has he ever done so?

Stephen Hill:

When the first (and only) thing you can say about a receiver prospect is that he has "insane measurables," and moved up in the draft based solely on a good 40 time, you probably should hold off on putting him in Canton until you find out if he can actually, you know, run a route and catch a pass vs. an NFL corner. Hill had zero collegiate production playing in an offense that looked nothing like an NFL offense, and the Jets are going to ask him to come start right away, Seems like a very Raiders thing to do.

DeMario Davis:

Smaller ILB prospect from a small school who has been knocked for a lack of instincts, Davis has been slathered with love by Jets fans because he instantly became the only LB on the roster that runs under a 5.0/40, giving them the misguided notion that he'd somehow be the answer to our Gronkowski-Hernandez problem. Good luck with that.

The "pass rusher":

A guy who was projected to be a Top Three pick only a year ago but became a pariah when NFL teams actually sat down to interview him and investigate his character. Even the team that drafted him at 16 thought so little of him that they considered trading down into the mid-20's, confident that Coples would still be on the board. Can Rex find a way to motivate a guy who is alleged to be a headcase? Maybe...but where in Rex's history has he ever done so?

Stephen Hill:

When the first (and only) thing you can say about a receiver prospect is that he has "insane measurables," and moved up in the draft based solely on a good 40 time, you probably should hold off on putting him in Canton until you find out if he can actually, you know, run a route and catch a pass vs. an NFL corner. Hill had zero collegiate production playing in an offense that looked nothing like an NFL offense, and the Jets are going to ask him to come start right away, Seems like a very Raiders thing to do.

DeMario Davis:

Smaller ILB prospect from a small school who has been knocked for a lack of instincts, Davis has been slathered with love by Jets fans because he instantly became the only LB on the roster that runs under a 5.0/40, giving them the misguided notion that he'd somehow be the answer to our Gronkowski-Hernandez problem. Good luck with that.

3 years from now I will have the know how to use the search function for this thread and pull it up and show you how wrong you a.................. Actually no I won;t Im fat, lazy and eventually won;t even feel like typing anymore to save my digit dexterity for eating. So your safe. Carry on.

3 years from now I will have the know how to use the search function for this thread and pull it up and show you how wrong you a.................. Actually no I won;t Im fat, lazy and eventually won;t even feel like typing anymore to save my digit dexterity for eating. So your safe. Carry on.

Ha! You'll note that I didn't say these guys won't work out. I was refuting Gato's hyperbole with counter-hyperbole using what we know now.

I think that most observers consider the Jets top three picks to be "boom or bust" types: if they hit right, they'll be big but they could just as easily, perhaps even more easily, be busts.

Coples is most likely to be a star. The talent is there, but his attitude is a big question mark. I think it would be very easy for him to be considered a bust even if he plays decent but doesn't become a star. I think that Jets fans are overrating how fast he can transition from 4-3 to a 3-4, too.

Hill is most likely to bust IMO. WR is a very difficult position to transition between college and pros, and that's especially true for a WR coming out of a program that was as run-dominated as GT's. At best, it will take Hill at least a season or two to transition to the pro game, and defenses won't respect his speed unless/until Sanchez actually throws to him regularly on longer routes and he actually catches some of those passes. Sanchez's dislike for throwing downfield may really limit Hill in the short term even if he eventually becomes a good WR. FTR, I don't much like high picks that didn't do much in college but sparkled at the Combine. Guess what, football is played on a field in pads and helmets amidst organized chaos and hard hits, not in shorts and tees under controlled conditions.

Davis is fast, but he needs more that speed to make a good LBer. He can probably be a decent one, but not great, unless he can develop skills that he didn't have in college. If he busts, it won't hurt as badly as one of the other two failing.

I think that most observers consider the Jets top three picks to be "boom or bust" types: if they hit right, they'll be big but they could just as easily, perhaps even more easily, be busts.

Coples is most likely to be a star. The talent is there, but his attitude is a big question mark. I think it would be very easy for him to be considered a bust even if he plays decent but doesn't become a star. I think that Jets fans are overrating how fast he can transition from 4-3 to a 3-4, too.

Hill is most likely to bust IMO. WR is a very difficult position to transition between college and pros, and that's especially true for a WR coming out of a program that was as run-dominated as GT's. At best, it will take Hill at least a season or two to transition to the pro game, and defenses won't respect his speed unless/until Sanchez actually throws to him regularly on longer routes and he actually catches some of those passes. Sanchez's dislike for throwing downfield may really limit Hill in the short term even if he eventually becomes a good WR. FTR, I don't much like high picks that didn't do much in college but sparkled at the Combine. Guess what, football is played on a field in pads and helmets amidst organized chaos and hard hits, not in shorts and tees under controlled conditions.

Davis is fast, but he needs more that speed to make a good LBer. He can probably be a decent one, but not great, unless he can develop skills that he didn't have in college. If he busts, it won't hurt as badly as one of the other two failing.

Of those 3 picks, Hill is the only one that I'm not confident wont be a solid to great NFL player. Truly believe Coples and Davis will be. I just dont see them failing under Rex.

Not sure why you think Sanchez dislikes throwing down field. He does, and he actually has a nice deep ball but the Jets both couldnt give him the time last season and really didnt have anyone other than Holmes that could get behind a secondary.

Hill is definitely a boom or bust pick. No doubt. I highly doubt he has an impact this season but feel like the guy has all the tools to be successful. If the Jets get 40 receptions out of him and a couple of them are game breaker types like college...I'd consider that a good season for the kid. Its a silly way of looking at it, but if David Nelson can catch 60 balls for the Bills, I feel like this kid should be alright.

DeMario Davis:

Smaller ILB prospect from a small school

Arkansas State may sound like a small school but they are more legit as Troy who they beat 45-13 last year. Demarcus Ware is from Troy it's a second tier to be sure but not even close to small school. Danny Woodhead from Chadron State is a small school.

The potential is certainly there for it. Each of our first three draft picks have a ridiculous ceiling. Only time will tell, but I am certainly optimistic.

I think you hit the nail on the head right here, and it's exactly what came to my mind as soon as I read the thread title. Who knows how it will all turn out in the end, but there's some serious potential out there in this group, far beyond what we've seen the Jets pick up in recent hauls (with perhaps the lone exception being if Sanchez had turned out as a legit franchise QB), but of course that also lends itself to more of a boom or bust type outcome. If nothing else, there are a number of players in this group that have the physical ability to be some real difference makers. It should be a very interesting group to watch.

Don't disagree with this too much although there are two minor disagreements I would make on the Hill analysis. The first being that I don't think there's any legitimacy to this idea of Sanchez disliking the deep ball at all. Prior to last year, I think his deep ball was very easily his greatest strength. The problem was simply last year, there wasn't a player on the team who could get open deep. Plax was slow as dog crap, Kerley is simply not a deep receiver by any means and while Holmes has some speed and potential in that area, he isn't the kind who's going to fly past everyone and when you combine that with his mess of a season and the fact that there wasn't another player on the field opposing defenses had to worry about covering over the top, there wasn't a whole lot happening there. When your TE is your team's greatest deep threat, you've got some freakin' problems. You just need to go back and look at Braylon's time with the Jets and you'll see a whole lot more action deep down the field, and I think with some of the additions they've made this offseason, you'll see that return this year.

I also think it's going a little far to say Hill's draft status was based only a 40 time. While the limited amount of opportunities he had in college is certainly a concern, the truth is when he had those opportunities, he was showing that game-breaking type ability on the field, with a ridiculous average of 29 yards per catch. Now none of this is to say Hill is by any means a guarantee to make it big in the NFL and I'd agree he's the biggest question and will probably take some time to make the transition, but I think it's going a little far to act like this is a guy who hates throwing the deep ball paired up with a guy who's deep ability was based solely on a combine performance.

The first being that I don't think there's any legitimacy to this idea of Sanchez disliking the deep ball at all. Prior to last year, I think his deep ball was very easily his greatest strength. The problem was simply last year, there wasn't a player on the team who could get open deep. Plax was slow as dog crap, Kerley is simply not a deep receiver by any means and while Holmes has some speed and potential in that area, he isn't the kind who's going to fly past everyone and when you combine that with his mess of a season and the fact that there wasn't another player on the field opposing defenses had to worry about covering over the top, there wasn't a whole lot happening there.

Saved me the trouble. HDBillski has repeated that about Sanchez a number of times, and there's just no truth to it.

I don't believe the whole thing about WR being a difficult transition to the pros is as true as it used to be, either. More and more you see rookies have an impact at the position, including a couple previous WRs from Georgia Tech. Hill is going to be asked to do exactly what he did in college - block in the running game, and get open deep in the passing game. Definitely true that Sanchez is going to have to connect with him a couple times for Hill to command respect - and I suspect the Jets understand that. Sparano likes to take shots downfield, I'm sure he'll look to take them early with Hill.

The "pass rusher":

Stephen Hill:

DeMario Davis:

I guess it's true what they say...

Evil never sleeps

Even when the original post was made at 4:30am, Tom posts a counter at 5:30am lol

Saved me the trouble. HDBillski has repeated that about Sanchez a number of times, and there's just no truth to it.

I don't believe the whole thing about WR being a difficult transition to the pros is as true as it used to be, either. More and more you see rookies have an impact at the position, including a couple previous WRs from Georgia Tech. Hill is going to be asked to do exactly what he did in college - block in the running game, and get open deep in the passing game. Definitely true that Sanchez is going to have to connect with him a couple times for Hill to command respect - and I suspect the Jets understand that. Sparano likes to take shots downfield, I'm sure he'll look to take them early with Hill.

Rookie WRs can have success early (ala AJ Green) when they're in offenses that run spread offenses similar to what they played in in college or those that have simplistic reads for the WRs. They generally struggle if the offense they're in depends upon precise route running and more complicated reads such as the spread that NE runs. Sometimes teams will concentrate on rookie WRs learning a handful of routes/plays really well and only use them on those plays. As they master those, they get more plays.

It depends on the OC's philosophy and scheme.

Hill stings because he's so raw and we so desperately need a RT. I'm a big Coples fan though. Davis seems fine.

word is hes been coached up in the off season and done well cant be much to teach good route running to a freak athlete with the drive Hill seems to have... we know he can block... guess will get a good dose of him in the pre season,

As for RT I think the Jets missed the boat with Winston will see if some camp cuts become available and the Jets decide like last year to be idiots and claim they are content with our current back ups.

Hill is definitely a boom or bust pick. No doubt. I highly doubt he has an impact this season but feel like the guy has all the tools to be successful. If the Jets get 40 receptions out of him and a couple of them are game breaker types like college...I'd consider that a good season for the kid. Its a silly way of looking at it, but if David Nelson can catch 60 balls for the Bills, I feel like this kid should be alright.

If Hill gets 40 catches this season, it will be great considering Holmes had only 51 last year with them throwing the ball 547 times,

In this offense they won't be throwing it anywhere near 547 times. If Hill pulls down 40 of them with a big yards per catch ave he will be an impact player. Actually his mere presence on the field is going to have some impact on the running game. With his speed if he goes deep, 2 guys better be getting out of the box and going with him

I think that most observers consider the Jets top three picks to be "boom or bust" types

I think most draft picks are boom or bust types and the media just kept the whole "zomg Jets: INCOMPETENTZ!?!?!" storyline for the offseason going. Any other team walks away with the first two picks and Kiper, McShay, and friends are piling praise on the franchise.

I think most draft picks are boom or bust types and the media just kept the whole "zomg Jets: INCOMPETENTZ!?!?!" storyline for the offseason going. Any other team walks away with the first two picks and Kiper, McShay, and friends are piling praise on the franchise.

Didn't Mayock pull Coples off his board entirely?

word is hes been coached up in the off season and done well cant be much to teach good route running to a freak athlete with the drive Hill seems to have... we know he can block... guess will get a good dose of him in the pre season

If there's a guy who knows how to take a raw, athletic size-speed prospect and turn him into a legit NFL receiver, it's Darius Heyward-Bey's old coach.

If Hill gets 40 catches this season, it will be great considering Holmes had only 51 last year with them throwing the ball 547 times,

In this offense they won't be throwing it anywhere near 547 times. If Hill pulls down 40 of them with a big yards per catch ave he will be an impact player. Actually his mere presence on the field is going to have some impact on the running game. With his speed if he goes deep, 2 guys better be getting out of the box and going with him

Oh I agree. I think him spreading the field with his speed will help the run game and help a guy like Kerley step into a Davone Bess type role.

Didn't Mayock pull Coples off his board entirely?

Mayock has never been wrong.

If there's a guy who knows how to take a raw, athletic size-speed prospect and turn him into a legit NFL receiver, it's Darius Heyward-Bey's old coach.

64 catches, 975 yards, 15 per catch, 4 TD's on the Raiders offense in his 3rd year, the typical breakout year for a WR, especially raw, athletic size-speed prospects, doesnt seem all that bad. Especially when his first 2 seasons he had the likes of Jemarcus Russell, Kyle Boller, Bruce Gradkowski and Jason Campbell throwing to him. Dude picked up big time when Palmer got there.

You suck

64 catches, 975 yards, 15 per catch, 4 TD's on the Raiders offense in his 3rd year, the typical breakout year for a WR, especially raw, athletic size-speed prospects, doesnt seem all that bad. Especially when his first 2 seasons he had the likes of Jemarcus Russell, Kyle Boller, Bruce Gradkowski and Jason Campbell throwing to him. Dude picked up big time when Palmer got there.

You suck

Cool!

Who's gonna be our head coach in three years?

Archived