Greene = The Best

drago

here's 4 fantasy guys who say Shonn Greene is underrated

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2012/12valuerb0-1.php

Steve Holloway - Shonn Greene played second fiddle to Thomas Jones and LaDainian Tomlinson in his first two seasons, but topped 1,000 yards last year while averaging 4.2 ypc and played the receiving role better catching a career high 30 passes. His role this season should include around 20 carries per game and similar targets in the passing game.

Maurile Tremblay - Greene is the lead ball-carrier in a run-heavy offense. He was the No. 18 fantasy running back last season, and with LaDainian Tomlinson out of the picture, he should get a larger workload this season rather than a smaller one. Yet he is being drafted as a low-end RB2.

Mark Wimer - Shonn Greene is the featured runner for the Jets, a team that loves to grind out games with their running backs. Greene should see enough action to outperform his current ADP.

David Yudkin - Greene didn't exactly light the world on fire, but LaDainian Tomlinson is out of the picture and New York didn't make a major move to replace him. Greene ranked 18th last season and Top 10 down the stretch, making him a value pick as the 24th running back off the board in non-PPR leagues.

SO YOU THINK THAT MAKES HIM THE BEST!?!?!?

Silly east coaster. You are clearly not aware that if you are catagorized in the top ten of anything, you are immediately one of the top producers in the game.

ahh...hem...

For instance...Ladanian Tomlinson is a top quaterback in the history of the NFL. He has a QB rating of 152.1, which is 30 points higher than Aaron Rodgers in 2011.

Owned.

He was the No. 18 fantasy running back last season, and with LaDainian Tomlinson out of the picture, he should get a larger workload this season rather than a smaller one. Yet he is being drafted as a low-end RB2.

These people are talking about his fantasy value, but the 18th best fantasy RB is a bottom half real world RB.

They're all making the assumption that Greene's carries are going to go up with LT out of the picture, too, but I think McKnight is going to take most (if not all) of LT's work, and that Tebow's carries are going to cut in there, too. Low-end RB2 sounds about right, especially when you consider that the guy has just 10 TDs in three years in the league.

In the real world, the ground & pound could use an upgrade.

In 2012, 10 players in the NFL ran for 1000+ yard and caught 30+ passes.

Shonn Greene was 1 of those 10.

12 RBs rushed for more yards. That should be his bread & butter, but instead he's merely average. Of the 15 backs that rushed for over 1000 yards last year, only two had a lower average than his 4.2 ypc (one of whom was Chris Johnson?!?).

22 RBs caught more passes. Of the 23 backs that caught 30 or more passes (nice arbitrary statistical threshold you chose there, lol), only four had a lower average than his 7.0 ypc. By comparison, both LT and McKnight averaged 10.7 ypc last year. The Jets can force the ball to him in the passing game, but he'll never be a natural receiver. Hopefully Joe McKnight is up to speed on pass protection this year, and can work his way in (at least) as the full time third down back.

12 RBs rushed for more yards. That should be his bread & butter, but instead he's merely average. Of the 15 backs that rushed for over 1000 yards last year, only two had a lower average than his 4.2 ypc (one of whom was Chris Johnson?!?).

22 RBs caught more passes. Of the 23 backs that caught 30 or more passes (nice arbitrary statistical threshold you chose there, lol), only four had a lower average than his 7.0 ypc. By comparison, both LT and McKnight averaged 10.7 ypc last year. The Jets can force the ball to him in the passing game, but he'll never be a natural receiver. Hopefully Joe McKnight is up to speed on pass protection this year, and can work his way in (at least) as the full time third down back.

C'mon, man. Those are better than HOF numbers.

Imagine if a Jets RB averaged only 4.0 yards/carry and 6.9 yards/catch (6.6 ypc with the team) what Jets fans would say about such numbers.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

C'mon, man. Those are better than HOF numbers.

Imagine if a Jets RB averaged only 4.0 yards/carry and 6.9 yards/catch (6.6 ypc with the team) what Jets fans would say about such numbers.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Not making the trip to Canton I take it?

He was a third round pick starting two years in a row. Not a bust, just not a star. A great change of pace back to compliment what the jets don't have.

Great? :/

And starter =/= good, just ask any detractor about Sanchez, Hunter, Eric Smith, Slauson, Thomas, etc.

Otherwise I agree with this. Greene as the change of pace to LT was nice, Greene as the primary back not so much. He's LaMont Jordan or Adrian Murrell (when he leads the league in rushing once, I'll compare him to Curtis, lol). Nothing special at all on a team that could really use something special at RB.

because he catches really well, has vision that is better than barry sanders, and is really smart.

omg, he is the best.

Didn't we have a really smart OC for 6 years? He's not really smart like him - is he?

Great? :/

And starter =/= good, just ask any detractor about Sanchez, Hunter, Eric Smith, Slauson, Thomas, etc.

Otherwise I agree with this. Greene as the change of pace to LT was nice, Greene as the primary back not so much. He's LaMont Jordan or Adrian Murrell (when he leads the league in rushing once, I'll compare him to Curtis, lol). Nothing special at all on a team that could really use something special at RB.

Agreed

These people are talking about his fantasy value, but the 18th best fantasy RB is a bottom half real world RB.

he was 18th last year with LT he should be higher this year. I agree it's a fantasy perspective but that only adds to the legitimacy. These aren't beat writers or fans. These guys play fantasy football, usually for money, and all they care about is production. One of the authors Steve wrote a longer article. there are some inaccuracies (he calls Dbrick a guard) but overall I think he makes some decent points. Or at least counterpoints to the Evan Silva viewpoint that Greene sucks and so do the Jets.

Shonn Greene is in the final year of his rookie contract and at 27 years of age definitely has tremendous economic incentive to perform well in 2012. This year is probably his make or break year with the Jets or any other team. The Jets seem committed to giving him every opportunity to carry the load this season. Some early reports from Jet practices are that he looked perhaps a little leaner and displayed a hunger not previously seen.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/spotlight.php?yr=2012&id=GreeSh00

Diminish it all you want bud, only 9 other players in the league had similar production.

Shonn Greene is in the final year of his rookie contract and at 27 years of age definitely has tremendous economic incentive to perform well in 2012. This year is probably his make or break year with the Jets or any other team. The Jets seem committed to giving him every opportunity to carry the load this season. Some early reports from Jet practices are that he looked perhaps a little leaner and displayed a hunger not previously seen..

If he's in a make or break year, I guess the writer feels he hasn't made it yet?

Diminish it all you want bud, only 9 other players in the league had similar production.

Similar production to the statistical measure you just made up? According to the fantasy geeks, 17 RBs had a better year than he did, putting him in the bottom half of the league. They take into account things like total yards and scores, areas where Shonn finds himself a little lacking. The Jets only had 14 rushing TDs last year, and their starting RB had less than half of them. He tied Sanchez with six. That's part of the larger problem with Greene. He leaves a lot of yards on the field. A guy with his number of touches should've had another 300-400 total yards. A guy who's supposed to be a physical runner should have a lot more TDs, but Greene just isn't a guy who has that nose for the end zone. He's not a guy you can depend on when you need that one tough yard.

I agree with Bit's quote up there that the Jets will be inclined to run Greene into the ground, and that Greene should be motivated because he's in the last year of his contract. But I don't think that's going to make him any better. I bet he gets pulled a lot for Tebow when it comes time for rushing TDs in the redzone. I also think with it being Greene's last year that the Jets should be looking at other backs on their roster so they know what they'll need come 2013.

I also think with it being Greene's last year that the Jets should be looking at other backs on their roster so they know what they'll need come 2013.

McK could be the 3rd down back. but overall that's what preseason is for. I doubt we will see any sort of 50/50 split... guys like Powell, Ganaway will get reps in preseason or if Greene gets hurt. In general I can't worry about the 2013 Jets, before the 2012 Jets have even opened training camp.

Hey, but Greene, cant run or catch. So...

Which is evidenced by his below average averages.

If Curtis Martin gets criticized as a compiler on this site, then Shonn Greene is compiler lite. Curtis didn't have a season as mediocre as Greene's best until his final year in the league. Greene gets numbers because the Jets don't have anyone else to hand the ball, that's it. Sure, he should be congratulated on learning how to catch, but he will never be a natural receiver. He averages nearly 4 yards per catch less than either LT or McKnight because he's so completely awkward catching the football.

Which is evidenced by his below average averages.

If Curtis Martin gets criticized as a compiler on this site, then Shonn Greene is compiler lite. Curtis didn't have a season as mediocre as Greene's best until his final year in the league. Greene gets numbers because the Jets don't have anyone else to hand the ball, that's it. Sure, he should be congratulated on learning how to catch, but he will never be a natural receiver. He averages nearly 4 yards per catch less than either LT or McKnight because he's so completely awkward catching the football.

I dont criticize Curtis Martin for being a compiler. In fact, I think its the most moronic thing I've ever heard in the history of any sports debate. Seriously.

Show me someone on the Jets offense who averaged anything more then mediocre and I'll say you have a case. Otherwise, he produced at level only 9 other players in the league produced at yet he cant do either the things that puts him in that category all the while, playing in a sh*t offense.

Archived