Training Camp: Wednesday, August 1 (Merged)

Ranick10

haha, today is Wednesday. My bad. Maybe a mod can edit that.

Here's a recap of the day..

The Jets offense had another rough day Wednesday.

Coach Rex Ryan has been rewarding the unit that plays the best with black jerseys. The offense may be waiting a while.

Mark Sanchez went 7-for-19 with an interception during team drills. Tim Tebow went 2-for-4 with an interception and was sacked twice. During a two-minute drill, Sanchez went 4-for-10. The offense failed to score on the first drive of the two-minute session, and settled for a field goal on the second.

This can be interpreted in one of two ways: The Jets starting offense is in trouble or the starting defense is really, really good. I think it's a bit of both.

@RichCimini

Not a good day for QBs: Sanchez goes 7-for-19, 1 INT, 1 dropped INT. Tebow goes 2-for-4, with 1 INT (fade route in end zone). #Jets

Tebow tucked a ball down and ran right into a pile of lineman. In short, the QBs looked awful. Defense gets the black jerseys again.

Hey thanks for the updates and I updated the thread title. :)

Hey thanks for the updates and I updated the thread title. :)

Appreciate it. I had a dream where it was Monday, spent all morning convincing myself it was Wednesday, and managed to compromise on the thread title. Thanks again for fixing it.

If I held my personal happiness on what was happening daily in training camp I would have been diagnosed Bi-polar already. I wouldn't worry too much. Is Sanchez or Tebow for that matter supposed to be locked on the same page with the WR corps at this point less than 1 week into camp?

If I held my personal happiness on what was happening daily in training camp I would have been diagnosed Bi-polar already. I wouldn't worry too much. Is Sanchez or Tebow for that matter supposed to be locked on the same page with the WR corps at this point less than 1 week into camp?

Of course not. But it's a Jets message board with fans that want to know how the team is looking. A thread has been made each day camp has been open, and it's a good way to keep training camp news in one place. I don't think anyone is basing their happiness off a day at training camp.

Post image for Training Camp Report 8/1

Here is a recap of today’s Jets training camp (8/1).  ESPN is carrying vast portions of the practice, so unless otherwise noted, observations are from their coverage.

Quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow had a bit of a down day but Coach Rex Ryan said in his post practice press conference that only 4 of the 12 wide receivers were not dealing with some sort of injury.  Coach Ryan mentioned the number of “soft tissue injuries” as a concern and that the players “need to be in world class shape”.  He went on to say, “We will look at everything,” to try and fix the injury problem.

The defense was better than the offense today getting a few interceptions as Sanchez and Tebow struggled.

Jets personal punt protector/backup quarterback Tim Tebow worked on fake punts completing a pass to tight end Jeff Cumberland during practice.

WR Chaz Schilens (groin) is on the side doing rehabilitation work along with RB John Griffin, WR Eron Riley, CB Ryan Steed and WR DaMarcus Ganaway.

WR Jeremy Kerley is working with the injured players rehabilitating a hamstring issue.  Once considered a lock at the third (slot) wide receiver position Kerley has been getting some harsh criticism from the Jets organization for being behind in learning Tony Sparano’s new offense.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie proclaimed himself the Jets “second” receiver during an ESPN interview.  The team is planning on using him at wide receiver in special “Cro” packages this season.  Some current Jets receivers did not appreciate Cromartie’s comments felling he was taking a shot at the Jets WR core.

“I’m aware of what was said (by Cromartie) okay, I’m on top of it, I’m telling you that right now … and it will not be a problem,” Coach Ryan said.  He went on to say, “We’re not going to play it out to the media … we’ll handle it”.

Round seven pick wide receiver Jordan White is practicing today but is not wearing pads.

White began training camp on the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list but was removed on Monday.  He can’t begin to practice fully until Friday.

With Kerley’s position on the depth chart in jeopardy rookie White will have a chance to showcase his talents as he led Division 1-A college football in receptions and yards last season at Western Michigan.  White is also an experienced punt returner and has shown interest in playing special teams.

Rookie linebacker Demario Davis was removed from the PUP list on Monday so he can practice but not with pads till Friday.  Davis was working with the defense doing drills and special teams on the kickoff return unit.

Linebacker Marcus Dowtin did not dressed for practice today, RB Joe McKnight sat out as well with an illness, FB Fui Vakapuna (hamstring) and DT Brett Roy (concussion) are not at practicing either. Cornerback Donnie Fletcher was back at practice after being in the rehab group on Monday but was he not in pads.

With the Jeff Otah trade being nullified, since he could not pass a physical, the offensive line battles have gotten more intense as those on the roster bubble will try to show they belong.  OT/OG Vladimir Ducasse and OT Austin Howard saw sometime with the first team offense.  Ducasse suffered a knee injury, which cut his practice short, while it appears not to be too serious official diagnosis has not been determined.

The competition at running back has heated up with Bilal Powell having a nice camp earning extended reps and Terrance Ganaway seeing time at both fullback and halfback.

With the third down running back situation not set it will be interesting to see if front runner Joe McKnight or Powell emerge at that position:

The Jets still haven’t decided between Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell for the third-down back job.

“That job’s open right now,” (Anthony)Lynn (Jets RB Coach) said. “Bilal has done more (blocking in the past). I’m not saying that he’s better than Joe. That’s why we have camp. When we leave Cortland, we’ll know. But those two are competing for that job. Shonn Green can always go in and do it. Shonn did it some last season, because he had to. But we would rather rest him on that down.”

Source: Manish Mehta/NY Daily News

Workhorse defensive tackle Sione Pouha suffered a cut on his forehead which limited his practice time.  Second year DT Kenrick Ellis filled in for the injured Pouha.

Defensive back round seven pick Antonio Allen continues to have a nice training camp making it more likely he will gain a roster spot.

The kicking competition was in full force today as both Nick Folk and Josh Brown are in top form, with Brown missing the only field goal of the day, a 52 yarder.

Jets roster move: – waived safety Tracy Wilson.

For more on today’s training camp practice

di
di

F-cMyX31lOM

View the full article

Of course not. But it's a Jets message board with fans that want to know how the team is looking. A thread has been made each day camp has been open, and it's a good way to keep training camp news in one place. I don't think anyone is basing their happiness off a day at training camp.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm all about the daily happenings. My point was more towards the dramatic swinging back and forth of both the media and some posters here.....and the shmuck fin fans I work with lol

And yes.... of course I think people are basing their happiness on what happens daily in camp. :D

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm all about the daily happenings. My point was more towards the dramatic swinging back and forth of both the media and some posters here.....and the shmuck fin fans I work with lol

And yes.... of course I think people are basing their happiness on what happens daily in camp. :D

Well yeah, with the arrival of Tebow the media has been unbearable. But I look forward to reading about how Hill looks and which players are standing out. Speaking of which, I haven't heard Coples name since minicamp.

Here is a recap of today’s Jets training camp (8/1). ESPN is carrying vast portions of the practice, so unless otherwise noted, observations are from their coverage.

Quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow had a bit of a down day but Coach Rex Ryan said in his post practice press conference that only 4 of the 12 wide receivers were not dealing with some sort of injury. Coach Ryan mentioned the number of “soft tissue injuries” as a concern and that the players “need to be in world class shape”. He went on to say, “We will look at everything,” to try and fix the injury problem.

The defense was better than the offense today getting a few interceptions as Sanchez and Tebow struggled.

Jets personal punt protector/backup quarterback Tim Tebow worked on fake punts completing a pass to tight end Jeff Cumberland during practice.

WR Chaz Schilens (groin) is on the side doing rehabilitation work along with RB John Griffin, WR Eron Riley, CB Ryan Steed and WR DaMarcus Ganaway.

WR Jeremy Kerley is working with the injured players rehabilitating a hamstring issue. Once considered a lock at the third (slot) wide receiver position Kerley has been getting some harsh criticism from the Jets organization for being behind in learning Tony Sparano’s new offense.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie proclaimed himself the Jets “second” receiver during an ESPN interview. The team is planning on using him at wide receiver in special “Cro” packages this season. Some current Jets receivers did not appreciate Cromartie’s comments felling he was taking a shot at the Jets WR core.

“I’m aware of what was said (by Cromartie) okay, I’m on top of it, I’m telling you that right now … and it will not be a problem,” Coach Ryan said. He went on to say, “We’re not going to play it out to the media … we’ll handle it”.

Round seven pick wide receiver Jordan White is practicing today but is not wearing pads.

White began training camp on the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list but was removed on Monday. He can’t begin to practice fully until Friday.

With Kerley’s position on the depth chart in jeopardy rookie White will have a chance to showcase his talents as he led Division 1-A college football in receptions and yards last season at Western Michigan. White is also an experienced punt returner and has shown interest in playing special teams.

Rookie linebacker Demario Davis was removed from the PUP list on Monday so he can practice but not with pads till Friday. Davis was working with the defense doing drills and special teams on the kickoff return unit.

Linebacker Marcus Dowtin did not dressed for practice today, RB Joe McKnight sat out as well with an illness, FB Fui Vakapuna (hamstring) and DT Brett Roy (concussion) are not at practicing either. Cornerback Donnie Fletcher was back at practice after being in the rehab group on Monday but was he not in pads.

With the Jeff Otah trade being nullified, since he could not pass a physical, the offensive line battles have gotten more intense as those on the roster bubble will try to show they belong. OT/OG Vladimir Ducasse and OT Austin Howard saw sometime with the first team offense. Ducasse suffered a knee injury, which cut his practice short, while it appears not to be too serious official diagnosis has not been determined.

https://twitter.com/BrianCoz/status/230654161325260801

https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/230687392007331840

https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/230672866130161664

https://twitter.com/janesports/status/230669405007265792

The competition at running back has heated up with Bilal Powell having a nice camp earning extended reps and Terrance Ganaway seeing time at both fullback and halfback.

https://twitter.com/janesports/status/230671474766249984

https://twitter.com/DWAZ73/status/230669030049054720

With the third down running back situation not set it will be interesting to see if front runner Joe McKnight or Powell emerge at that position:

The Jets still haven’t decided between Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell for the third-down back job.

“That job’s open right now,” (Anthony)Lynn (Jets RB Coach) said. “Bilal has done more (blocking in the past). I’m not saying that he’s better than Joe. That’s why we have camp. When we leave Cortland, we’ll know. But those two are competing for that job. Shonn Green can always go in and do it. Shonn did it some last season, because he had to. But we would rather rest him on that down.”

Workhorse defensive tackle Sione Pouha suffered a cut on his forehead which limited his practice time. Second year DT Kenrick Ellis filled in for the injured Pouha.

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/230652735794577408

https://twitter.com/DWAZ73/status/230670694399242240

https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/230680714914455552

Defensive back round seven pick Antonio Allen continues to have a nice training camp making it more likely he will gain a roster spot.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNFLNYJ/status/230673108871286785

https://twitter.com/DWAZ73/status/230670694399242240

The kicking competition was in full force today as both Nick Folk and Josh Brown are in top form, with Brown missing the only field goal of the day, a 52 yarder.

https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/230668602162950145

Jets roster move: – waived safety Tracy Wilson.

For more on today’s training camp practicehttp://forums.jetnation.com/topic/105999-training-camp-wednesday-august-1/.

di
di

pepsoPjjoTg

View the full article

wait

in the first week of camp, an offense that had the 3rd most 3 and outs last season and is learning a new system is struggling against a top 5 defense playing the same system for the 4th camp ?

must be cimini, lol

Fire Schotty?

Here we have one of the top defenses in the NFL that is now going on its 4th year in REx's system going aganist a new offense where no one can stay healthy. The Jets defense gives QB's fits on a regular basis and Im wondering if throwing that defense at an offense trying to find an identity is a bit much at this stage ? IMHO this is something a HC should be able to recognize and tone it down just a bit so these guys can get into some sort of rhythm rather than just get torched every day in practice. I mean lets be realistic Holmes is not going to do much vs Revis and the rest of the Jets WR group that has little to no exp has Cromartie who we all know can cover . Im not trying to make excuses but are these guys benifiting at all from getting beat down regularly

@RichCimini

Not a good day for QBs: Sanchez goes 7-for-19, 1 INT, 1 dropped INT. Tebow goes 2-for-4, with 1 INT (fade route in end zone). #Jets

Tebow tucked a ball down and ran right into a pile of lineman. In short, the QBs looked awful. Defense gets the black jerseys again.

Sanchez went 8 for 19, Cromartie had 11 drops and one catch and Cimini is just stupid.

I'm hoping...

Here we have one of the top defenses in the NFL that is now going on its 4th year in REx's system going aganist a new offense where no one can stay healthy. The Jets defense gives QB's fits on a regular basis and Im wondering if throwing that defense at an offense trying to find an identity is a bit much at this stage ? IMHO this is something a HC should be able to recognize and tone it down just a bit so these guys can get into some sort of rhythm rather than just get torched every day in practice. I mean lets be realistic Holmes is not going to do much vs Revis and the rest of the Jets WR group that has little to no exp has Cromartie who we all know can cover . Im not trying to make excuses but are these guys benifiting at all from getting beat down regularly

Mark Sanchez has seen this same defense every summer for the past four years.

Bilal Powell standout running back at Jets camp. Better camp than Shonn Greene from what I've seen. Happy with Jets RB situation?

— Jane McManus (@janesports) August 1, 2012

I'll tell you what: Bilal Powell looks like a different guy this summer. Shifty, speedy. Marked improvement. #Jets

— Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73) August 1, 2012

The Jets still haven’t decided between Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell for the third-down back job. “That job’s open right now,” (Anthony)Lynn (Jets RB Coach) said. “Bilal has done more (blocking in the past). I’m not saying that he’s better than Joe. That’s why we have camp. When we leave Cortland, we’ll know. But those two are competing for that job. Shonn Green can always go in and do it. Shonn did it some last season, because he had to. But we would rather rest him on that down.”

The Bilal Powell situation is probably the most promising thing coming out of camp. He was written off by a lot of people here, but he never had a chance last season. Exciting to read that he's really making the most of this opportunity. Can't wait to see him in the preseason.

Ganaway working at FB is also interesting and adds more fuel to the John Conner could be cut fire. Ganaway and Baker would give the Jets two guys who could play FB, but also bring something else to the table. That might be enough.

The Bilal Powell situation is probably the most promising thing coming out of camp. He was written off by a lot of people here, but he never had a chance last season. Exciting to read that he's really making the most of this opportunity. Can't wait to see him in the preseason.

Ganaway working at FB is also interesting and adds more fuel to the John Conner could be cut fire. Ganaway and Baker would give the Jets two guys who could play FB, but also bring something else to the table. That might be enough.

This Powell situation is the one thing that has me doubting my "run Greene into the ground" theory more than anything. Although that certainly would be the furthest thing from a bad thing if you've got other guys in camp performing well enough to start stealing carries away from the guy designated to be the "workhorse". The other thing to consider is that Powell is also probably the one back on the roster who has the most potential to be a "complete" back. Credit to McKnight that he bulked up this offseason to try to be that guy too, but there's no doubt that a lot of these other guys were drafted for specific strengths they had as opposed to an overall diverse skill set.

Well yeah, with the arrival of Tebow the media has been unbearable. But I look forward to reading about how Hill looks and which players are standing out. Speaking of which, I haven't heard Coples name since minicamp.

ya know I actually thought about that yesterday. Whats happening with our boy Coples???

This Powell situation is the one thing that has me doubting my "run Greene into the ground" theory more than anything. Although that certainly would be the furthest thing from a bad thing if you've got other guys in camp performing well enough to start stealing carries away from the guy designated to be the "workhorse". The other thing to consider is that Powell is also probably the one back on the roster who has the most potential to be a "complete" back. Credit to McKnight that he bulked up this offseason to try to be that guy too, but there's no doubt that a lot of these other guys were drafted for specific strengths they had as opposed to an overall diverse skill set.

I've been saying that since the guy was drafted.

I also don't buy into the concept that the Jets need a 230lb back to be the primary guy in their ground & pound. Plenty of 210lb RBs carry the load around the league, and it's like like Shonn Greene is pushing a lot of piles, anyway. How many teams around the league pull their "power back" in the redzone? Yet, that's what the Jets did with Greene and LT, and probably plan to do this year with Tebow.

The best reasons to run Greene into the ground this year are the fact that he's gone after this season anyway, so the wear doesn't hurt the Jets, and that maybe another 1000 yard year will get him a better contract - giving the Jets a better potential comp pick in 2014. That's about it. On the field, I'm hoping there are a lot of reasons to play the other guys.

ya know I actually thought about that yesterday. Whats happening with our boy Coples???

It worries me that Ryan constantly is talking about Wilkerson but hasn't really said much about Coples. I have pretty high expectations for him.

Archived