Wildcat

stoicsentry

All this talk about the Wildcat.. and yet the Jets refuse to show it. I wonder why, honestly. There's got to be a reason. I don't see what benefit there is in keeping it hidden. Coaches around the league know what the Wildcat is.

So what (besides Marvin Lewis) prevented the Jets from using the Wildcat in the pre-season?

A few possibilities:

-They realized that the traditional offense was so weak that it needed the extra snaps much more than the Wildcat did. Probably true, but this works both ways: if the offense is going to be that bad, then they're going to need these trick plays just to make do.

-A lot of wide receivers were hurt in the pre-season. Notably, Jeremy Kerley and Santonio Holmes. I doubt that Holmes has much to do with the Wildcat, but perhaps they intend to feature Jeremy Kerley heavily in it, so it wouldn't have made much sense to practice it without him.

-Could there be wrinkles involving Antonio Cromartie, that would not have been revealed in the pre-season because the team wanted to make sure he got his pre-season snaps in on defense?

-I know it's unlikely, but what if the Jets don't actually plan on using the Wildcat this year (or if so, using it sparingly like they did last season)? You can't reveal it if you don't really have it installed. Maybe this so-called "Wildcat" that they were practicing wasn't Wildcat at all, but it was just about using Tebow at fullback, halfback or even tight end? Maybe they had him practicing taking handoffs, blocking, etc. Perhaps he was running HB options of the non-Wildcat variety?

First of all, it's too predictable. Or, if they do decide to use it in the beginning, it will definetly be predictable at the end of the season. Also, using Tim on 3rd downs is predictable. But then again, who predicted the only player who scored a TD in the offseason would be waived.

First of all, it's too predictable.

I don't think it's predictable at all, especially when you have a guy like Tim who can actually throw the ball. As much as we hear that it is predictable, the #'s don't bear that out if you have the right guys running the show. Even Brad Smith (who was a good QB in college but can't throw as well as Tim) ran the Wildcat effectively.

Not sure it matters though - predictable or not.

If you can run it well, who cares? Matthew Stafford to Calvin Johnson in the endzone is also predictable but so what?

Or, if they do decide to use it in the beginning, it will definetly be predictable at the end of the season.

So you think they're hiding some surprises with it? What kind of surprises?

I don't think it's predictable at all, especially when you have a guy like Tim who can actually throw the ball. As much as we hear that it is predictable, the #'s don't bear that out if you have the right guys running the show. Even Brad Smith (who was a good QB in college but can't throw as well as Tim) ran the Wildcat effectively.

Not sure it matters though - predictable or not.

If you can run it well, who cares? Matthew Stafford to Calvin Johnson in the endzone is also predictable but so what?

So you think they're hiding some surprises with it? What kind of surprises?

Whoa. Tim CANNOT throw.

It's too early for me to predict a surprise. The only way I see throwing another team off guard (that would work) is by switching up player positions - for example - Cromartie.

Stoic maybe they refuse to show it because we may see Tebow on the field with Sanchez more often than we see Tebow running the wildcat. That would make it unpredictable. I think the Jets will use more no Huddle this year as well

100% agree with this! I think its going to be different than any wildcat we've seen to this point. Lots of Tebow Sanchez packages.Tebow lining up at hb or te.

Stoic maybe they refuse to show it because we may see Tebow on the field with Sanchez more often than we see Tebow running the wildcat. That would make it unpredictable. I think the Jets will use more no Huddle this year as well

That's interesting..

I tell you what, I feel bad for Buffalo and I will tell you why: Rex's first regular season game as our HC, after a very vanilla preseason (especially on D) our defense DESTROYED the Texans. I feel like Buffalo is in for a similar game.

Whoa. Tim CANNOT throw.

It's too early for me to predict a surprise. The only way I see throwing another team off guard (that would work) is by switching up player positions - for example - Cromartie.

Well, Sanchez has been around longer and he still can't throw, but let's not get into that. :winking0001:

Nah, just to clarify, I'm not talking about Tim's ability to throw the ball compared to the 32 starting QBs in the league.

Rather, I'm talking about his ability to throw the ball as the "second" guy in a package with Mark Sanchez, or his ability to throw the ball in a wildcat package vs. what other teams could possibly (or used to) put out there. So, basically Tim Tebow vs. Brad Smith, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, etc.

100% agree with this! I think its going to be different than any wildcat we've seen to this point. Lots of Tebow Sanchez packages.Tebow lining up at hb or te.

Not gonna lie, that's definitely what I'm hoping. And, if so, it would make sense for them to hold that back. This is not what they call the double barrel.

FWIW that was the last possibility on my list in the original post.

I do agree with stoicsentry that right now the Tiger Cat/Wildcat, whatever you want to call it "is" unpredictable, because nobodoy's seen it. The mediots are assuming it'll be the traditional wildcat. Seriously? If that were the case, we would have been running it in preseason. And with a player like an unpredictable-Tebow there can be so many flavors of it mixed with spread offense.

My thing is, if these packages can help us win games for the first 5-6-7 games of our schedule (which is the most difficult part), it gives our receiving corps time to get healed up. And that's what up, because the latter part of our schedule is much easier. It's all about winning the division.

Whoa. Tim CANNOT throw.

If Tim CANNOT throw, neither can Mark. The had the same YPA last year.

You do know of the gaping disparity between CAN and CANNOT, right?

This is more along the lines of what I am thinking. I seriously feel that they are planning to have our base offense with Sanchez AND Tebow on the field at the same time AND in hurry up. It could be hand off heavy and we're still going to get at least 4 yds a carry with Tebow IMO. I would love to see an entirely new formation with Tim and Mark in a wishbone with Greene (or any RB) behind them so it looks like a diamond with the center. Teams wouldn't know what the hell was going on. Then you run no huddle so they can't even change personnel.

If you keep the D thinking you've won half of the battle. This is what I am hoping happens.

My 30 years of being a Jets fan tells me I'm once again being unrealistic but for now... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!! I'm thinking what I want! :D

because they (gasp) didn't want tebow getting all the headlines....in the pre-season

it would blow sanchez' mind

they are waiting for september to emasculate him

the problem I see right now is sanchez moves the team into the redzone, tebow scores the TD....sanchez will say the right things, but stats are money and he will eventually call BS

the scheme has been in football for decades. parcells used to let ray lucas run some of that sh*t, and brad smith did some of his stuff before the arkansas wildcat popped up in miami

read option, wildcat, bradcat, triple wing, whatever

I just pray they let sanchez and tebow on the field at the same time at least once

I might wake up from my nap for that

This is more along the lines of what I am thinking. I seriously feel that they are planning to have our base offense with Sanchez AND Tebow on the field at the same time AND in hurry up. It could be hand off heavy and we're still going to get at least 4 yds a carry with Tebow IMO. I would love to see an entirely new formation with Tim and Mark in a wishbone with Greene (or any RB) behind them so it looks like a diamond with the center. Teams wouldn't know what the hell was going on. Then you run no huddle so they can't even change personnel.

As interesting as that sounds, I'm not visualizing it. If they are forming a diamond with Mangold and Greene is behind them, then Greene is set up to take the snap.

Other than that, I agree with you - having them both on the field at the same time sounds right.

As interesting as that sounds, I'm not visualizing it. If they are forming a diamond with Mangold and Greene is behind them, then Greene is set up to take the snap.

Other than that, I agree with you - having them both on the field at the same time sounds right.

It's just a shotgun with some direction. Mangold, assuming he IS, in fact the best center in the league is the right man for the job no? They do it all the time with direct snaps to the RB. i don't see it as all that tough to pull off.

I just think Sporano is the type of coach who doesnt show anything. I think that there is no secret to the wildcat - but there can be wrinkles. Like Tebow lined up in the backfield to block and one of our RB's taking the ball. Then on the next play running hurry up to the spread. There is just so much you can do with our personnel - but I still dont think you want to show it all in the pre season.

I just think Sporano is the type of coach who doesnt show anything. I think that there is no secret to the wildcat - but there can be wrinkles. Like Tebow lined up in the backfield to block and one of our RB's taking the ball. Then on the next play running hurry up to the spread. There is just so much you can do with our personnel - but I still dont think you want to show it all in the pre season.

It will be interesting. The Jets seem to be hiding something, at least that is how they are acting. If Tebow is actually going to play at RT, I might start buying in. :)

The Buffalo game is so important they have a tough game in week two. Really want to see them get off to a fast start in week one.

It will be interesting. The Jets seem to be hiding something, at least that is how they are acting. If Tebow is actually going to play at RT, I might start buying in. :)

The Buffalo game is so important they have a tough game in week two. Really want to see them get off to a fast start in week one.

The Buffalo game is really important for sure. I could see the Jets starting sort of slow - but then getting rolling after the first few weeks. Still our defense alone should be enough to beat Buffalo. Maybe the plan is to punt it on first downs. :-)

I tend to agree. Sparano does come from the Parcells school of secrecy.

If he's hiding some sort of magic wildcat, great. I think overall the offense is going to look a lot different than it did in the preseason. Will it be better? That I don't know. I just suspect that Sparano's been holding back more than just the wildcat stuff.

First off, the Jets OC's name is Sparano NOT Sporano.

Second, Tony Sparano "doesn't show anything" because his offensive philosophy is notoriously conservative, which is something that Ryan likes on offense, too. David Lee brought the original Miami wild cat from Arkansas when Parcells hired him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets wildcat turns out to be a pretty tame kitty.

Second, Tony Sparano "doesn't show anything" because his offensive philosophy is notoriously conservative, which is something that Ryan likes on offense, too. David Lee brought the original Miami wild cat from Arkansas when Parcells hired him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets wildcat turns out to be a pretty tame kitty.

Thank you for the grammatical correction. It was such an important part of this football thread.

So Sparano's offense is a joke - but he has more division titles in the last 5 years, then the Bills do in the last 15?

Thank you for the grammatical correction. It was such an important part of this football thread.

So Sparano's offense is a joke - but he has more division titles in the last 5 years, then the Bills do in the last 15?

You're welcome. What the Bills have won or haven't won in the last decade plus has nothing to do with anything. Tony Sparano's lack of imagination and/or innovation does. Jets fans believe that Sparano has invented some great "solution" to use Tebow and Sanchez together or come up an innovative use of the single wing (wild cat). That really seems unlikely since Sparano is more of a guy who crosses his ts and dots is is rather than a creative genius.

You're welcome. What the Bills have won or haven't won in the last decade plus has nothing to do with anything. Tony Sparano's lack of imagination and/or innovation does. Jets fans believe that Sparano has invented some great "solution" to use Tebow and Sanchez together or come up an innovative use of the single wing (wild cat). That really seems unlikely since Sparano is more of a guy who crosses his ts and dots is is rather than a creative genius.

2ypqf9.jpg

That's interesting..

I tell you what, I feel bad for Buffalo and I will tell you why: Rex's first regular season game as our HC, after a very vanilla preseason (especially on D) our defense DESTROYED the Texans. I feel like Buffalo is in for a similar game.

I agree but the only difference is Schaub is not near as elusive as Fitz in the pocket so we will have to contain his ass . If we rush Fitz and let him scramble out of trouble thats not going to be good for us at all. Especially in man coverage.

so the jets have beaten the jills 7 out of the last 8

don't forget to show up and take your beating next week

You're welcome. What the Bills have won or haven't won in the last decade plus has nothing to do with anything. Tony Sparano's lack of imagination and/or innovation does. Jets fans believe that Sparano has invented some great "solution" to use Tebow and Sanchez together or come up an innovative use of the single wing (wild cat). That really seems unlikely since Sparano is more of a guy who crosses his *** T'S and dots HIS I'S *** rather than a creative genius.

WHILE WE'RE ALL BEING PERFECT.

Agreed. WTH would we show it? Because the mediots want to see it so they can talk even more trash about us? Rex and Sparano decided to "not show it" way before Tebow became a Jet, and they stuck to it. Good for them.

Rex was right about one thing...the Bills will be wasting precious practice time preparing for the Wildcat, and that's what we want. The first few teams we play, especially the Bills, will have the worst of it because they don't really know what they're preparing for. Good news for our receivers and TEs who are banged up right now.

When you have the guy that made the Wildcat famous in the first place, you gotta believe that he's innovating those packages because he has a threat like Tebow involved. I think he has the tools and the personnel to be as exotic with tthis as Rex is with his exotic blitzes. And with teams worrying about Sanchez and Tebow on the field at the same time in hurry-up, there's just too many variables to prepare for. Remember what Sparano focused on this off season: speed.

Not saying teams won't figure this thing out at some point, but hopefully by the time they do, we'll already be in the softer half of our schedule.

Archived