Holmes Says Tebow Trade ‘Rattled’ Jets’ Sanchez Tags: Leak, Siv, Cancer

THE ILK

Meh, I still say they could and should have gotten more than a 5th rounder for him, even if he was in the last year of his deal. If there's anything anyone is laughing about, its the fact that we gave him a $50M extension.

And even THEN, the extension would have made sense if we didn't have a sh*t QB and a run-first mentality. He's a talented player and has shown WR1 ability, he just doesn't have a QB capable of using him correctly. He was the wrong fit for Sanchez and now he's the wrong fit for Sparano's scheme. The fact that he's a diva certainly compounds matters, but it isn't the biggest reason why the extension was a bad move.

I still make that trade 10 times out of 10. Had he been just a 1-year rental (who did win us a couple of games in 2010) no one would be complaining about that lost 5th.

It's as if Holmes can't help himself. This sounded like he was trying to actually defend Sanchez, but it comes out all wrong and ends up subtly dissing both Sanchez and Tebow.

Subtly?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what the Steelers would tell me if I had the ability to ask this question, the Jets still got the better deal. Really not even close. Holmes is by far, not even close, the best offensive weapon on the Jets, which isnt saying much but it only cost them a 5ht rounder.

Well " the best offensive weapon on the Jets" as you say, was a major contributor to the teams meltdown during the late season swoon when they should have been making a playoff run. Have you forgotten how he was kicked out of the huddle and sat down cause he was undermining Sanchez? He seriously needed to get punched in the face. Talented? yes, team guy and leader? Definately not. Steelers are probably the best run franchise in the league. That speaks volumes to me. They didnt get stupid all of a sudden and make a dumb trade.

Thinking about it more, I'm not so sure the Jets were in the wrong to give Holmes that extension. Remember:

1) It's not as if the Jets were competing against themselves for Santonio. When he was a free agent, he was considered one of the top commodities that offseason. There were reports of several teams interested in him if the Jets hadn't locked him up.

2) The Jets had already determined they were going to let go of Braylon (still a wise decision in hindsight) and didn't want Sanchez to go into 2011 with Keller and LT as his primary passing options.

3) Tying into the above point, the Jets were coming off another AFC Title game appearance, and were hoping to build on this by joining the rest of the league as more of a passing team. Sanchez was in Year 3, entering "put up or shut up" for a young QB, and this move was geared towards it.

It hasn't worked out, and there is plenty of blame to go around for it. But looking back, the trade was a very good move and the extension became a necessity.

Of course it was. Holmes was nearly unanimously thought of as the #1 WR on the market that offseason. And it cracks me up how short of a memory this fan base has. Nobody was bitching about Holmes when he became Mark's favorite target and won 4 games during "tone time' in 2010 for the Jets with his clutch play.

Not signing Holmes would have been as stupid as locking up Braylon long term.

And I'm not willing to say because of 1 bad season that it didnt work out.

yeah JIF I do like the Jets Receivers and you know Ive been calling for changes for years. Hopefully we made the right moves. That being said Hill is an unproven rookie and Chaz needs to stay healthy if they can not produce and stretch the field like we need them too it will focus the defense on Holmes and the running game until they do produce. We will have to see how all that plays out

I like the commitment to the young guys too. I really think that Kerley can be a great slot WR for the Jets, someone who can consistently move the chains. And Hill's presence alone should help take the top of the defense and really help Holmes, Keller and Kerley get a lot of space with the underneath stuff.

Its all on Sanchez. If he steps up, the Jets will be a tough team to beat. If he remains an indecisive turn over machine...its going to be Tebow Time.

Well " the best offensive weapon on the Jets" as you say, was a major contributor to the teams meltdown during the late season swoon when they should have been making a playoff run. Have you forgotten how he was kicked out of the huddle and sat down cause he was undermining Sanchez? He seriously needed to get punched in the face. Talented? yes, team guy and leader? Definately not. Steelers are probably the best run franchise in the league. That speaks volumes to me. They didnt get stupid all of a sudden and make a dumb trade.

I see it differently. Sanchez sh*t the season away, the offense was struggling and they werent getting the ball to their best play maker who basically secured them a playoff spot just a season ago. I totally understand why Holmes was frustrated with his QB sitting in the shade hanging out watching as he pissed the season away by throwing INT's to the DE's.

Sanchez sh*t the bed at the end of the year and the season went with it. I get why Holmes was angry. And I do think good can come from that whole fiasco. I think it led to Schotty getting removed, which need to happen and hopefully it motivated the 2 of them to get on the same page and make sh*t work (which it seems like has been the case).

Of course it was. Holmes was nearly unanimously thought of as the #1 WR on the market that offseason. And it cracks me up how short of a memory this fan base has. Nobody was bitching about Holmes when he became Mark's favorite target and won 4 games during "tone time' in 2010 for the Jets with his clutch play.

Not signing Holmes would have been as stupid as locking up Braylon long term.

And I'm not willing to say because of 1 bad season that it didnt work out.

I like the commitment to the young guys too. I really think that Kerley can be a great slot WR for the Jets, someone who can consistently move the chains. And Hill's presence alone should help take the top of the defense and really help Holmes, Keller and Kerley get a lot of space with the underneath stuff.

Its all on Sanchez. If he steps up, the Jets will be a tough team to beat. If he remains an indecisive turn over machine...its going to be Tebow Time.

I actually think giving Holmes that contract was Tanny's biggest mistake this side of drafting Gholston.

I actually think giving Holmes that contract was Tanny's biggest mistake this side of drafting Gholston.

I actually think it was a bigger mistake. Gholston was a boom or bust guy and IMO probably worth the risk with that team picking there. Horrible pick, monumental bust, but the reasoning was understandable and I think Gholston was up near that spot on most teams boards. Sometimes your pick just sucks. OTOH, giving a known head case like Holmes that kind of money and allowing him to hold the team hostage was a major error in judgment. The 2008 team needed a defensive monster that could rush the passer. The 2011 team did not need a high priced WR.

The actual contract or resigning him all together was the mistake?

Well who knows if he'd of stayed without the huge contract but the size of it has hamstrung the cap for other needs IMO. My problem is the contradiction of this ground and pound philosophy while handing someone like Holmes that kind of money. Add drafting Keller to boot. Offense has been in an identity crisis since Rex arrived. He's been saying one thing while Tanny has been continuously adding pieces to the contrary. My argument is more about fit than skill.

I actually think it was a bigger mistake. Gholston was a boom or bust guy and IMO probably worth the risk with that team picking there. Horrible pick, monumental bust, but the reasoning was understandable and I think Gholston was up near that spot on most teams boards. Sometimes your pick just sucks.

The bigger mistake was winning against KC in overtime in the last game of the previous season.

Siv?

“I think since Day 1, it was a focus that kind of rattled him a little,” Holmes revealed Wednesday. “And I use that word only to say that, `Wow. How did this happen?’ Those were words that came out of his mouth.

That's the whole quote from Holmes. Nothing in there that undermines anyone. I'm surprised the words out of Sanchez' mouth weren't, "What the ****?" Maybe they were. To take that quote and attack Holmes? Whatever.

There's more to dislike in this article about Sanchez. He comes across as a guy who still hasn't figured out how to be a leader. That's it's not something natural to him.

I think it’s human nature to want to hesitate after a tough year like last year,” Sanchez said, “but you have to fight that and really attack it and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

In other words, it's in Sanchez' nature to want to hesitate.

The toughest part is really ripping somebody,” he said. “It just (stinks). You don’t want to be a Debbie Downer out there, but at the same time, I’m going to be the one holding the football and I’m going to be the one standing at the podium talking to you guys after the game. I’ll fall on the sword every time, but those guys have got to make catches, they’ve got to run the right route, they’ve got to be where they’re supposed to be and be accountable.

“And it’s my job to hold them accountable.”

A Debbie Downer? Again, he's talking about struggling with basic aspects of leadership here. Saying that he'll, "fall on the sword every time," just says that he knows what he's supposed to say at the podium. That it's his job to take public responsibility - yet he's doing the exact opposite with this quote!

He's stronger than ever, and he's puffing out his chest more. Great. If he's doing the whole fake it until you make thing, that's actually okay with me. I'm not sure he realizes that's what he's doing, though.

Well who knows if he'd of stayed without the huge contract but the size of it has hamstrung the cap for other needs IMO. My problem is the contradiction of this ground and pound philosophy while handing someone like Holmes that kind of money. Add drafting Keller to boot. Offense has been in an identity crisis since Rex arrived. He's been saying one thing while Tanny has been continuously adding pieces to the contrary. My argument is more about fit than skill.

Meh, damned if you do, damned if you dont. If they dont resign Holmes, then the story would be how they havent given Mark any consistent targets.

The market is the market, Laurent Robinson got 32 mil for 5 years this season. Pierre Garcon got 42 mil. Both considerably less talented than Homles IMO. WR's get paid. Thats what happen when you become a FA coming off a great season.

Holmes was a great fit in '10 when he was Mark's favorite target and tone time was winning us games.

Siv?

That's the whole quote from Holmes. Nothing in there that undermines anyone. I'm surprised the words out of Sanchez' mouth weren't, "What the ****?" Maybe they were. To take that quote and attack Holmes? Whatever.

There's more to dislike in this article about Sanchez. He comes across as a guy who still hasn't figured out how to be a leader. That's it's not something natural to him.

A Debbie Downer? Again, he's talking about struggling with basic aspects of leadership here. Saying that he'll, "fall on the sword every time," just says that he knows what he's supposed to say at the podium. That it's his job to take public responsibility - yet he's doing the exact opposite with this quote!

He's stronger than ever, and he's puffing out his chest more. Great. If he's doing the whole fake it until you make thing, that's actually okay with me. I'm not sure he realizes that's what he's doing, though.

Yeah except we all already know Sanchez isn't a leader. The problem is nothing Holmes said helps anyone. He's just an idiot who needs to stfu.

go to newyorkjets.com and listen to the 10 minute interview.

it's filled with a patronizing tone (pun intended), and backhanded compliments. The way he describes it was if Mark was in a panic when he got word of Tebow and HE had to calm him down. Intimated that he gave him a pep talk and set him straight.

Also had the sack to call himself a leader and talk about Marks improvements as if he didn't have any to make himself. It was a douchebag being a douchebag. For 10 minutes.

And the league thought the Steelers were fools for trading a superbowl MVP for a 5th round pick. Turns out it was genius.

Personally, I would have left him in Miami last year and made him take the bus home.

It's not Tone Time. It's Time Tone...time to STFU.

Meh, damned if you do, damned if you dont. If they dont resign Holmes, then the story would be how they havent given Mark any consistent targets.

The market is the market, Laurent Robinson got 32 mil for 5 years this season. Pierre Garcon got 42 mil. Both considerably less talented than Homles IMO. WR's get paid. Thats what happen when you become a FA coming off a great season.

Holmes was a great fit in '10 when he was Mark's favorite target and tone time was winning us games.

I hear you, its hard to argue hindsight. And throughout this 3 year term nobody's been more of a security blanket for Sanchez then Keller. But I'll maintain the contradiction in philosophy vs. personnel is a major factor with the offensive woes. Not having a real blocking TE who can catch, no adequate replacements for Faneca and Woody, no real feature RB took a back seat to things like overpaying Holmes and trading for Tebow. Ball control and play action would have helped Sanchez's development more than weapons. Would have helped the defense more too. Not to mention all the head coach has talked about is this ground and pound approach. But the pieces don't fit.

go to newyorkjets.com and listen to the 10 minute interview.

it's filled with a patronizing tone (pun intended), and backhanded compliments. The way he describes it was if Mark was in a panic when he got word of Tebow and HE had to calm him down. Intimated that he gave him a pep talk and set him straight.

Also had the sack to call himself a leader and talk about Marks improvements as if he didn't have any to make himself. It was a douchebag being a douchebag. For 10 minutes.

I don't care enough to listen to him talk for 10 minutes.

The guy's a diva. Lots of WRs are. I don't care about that, either. I don't doubt that he gave Sanchez a pep talk, though, and it probably went a long way towards repairing their relationship. If Tone didn't like catching passes from Sanchez, it's gotta be a nightmare for him to try and catch passes from Tebow. If that's the motivating factor to get these two guys on the same page, I'm 100% fine with it.

Siv?

Warning points?

I hear you, its hard to argue hindsight. And throughout this 3 year term nobody's been more of a security blanket for Sanchez then Keller. But I'll maintain the contradiction in philosophy vs. personnel is a major factor with the offensive woes. Not having a real blocking TE who can catch, no adequate replacements for Faneca and Woody, no real feature RB took a back seat to things like overpaying Holmes and trading for Tebow. Ball control and play action would have helped Sanchez's development more than weapons. Would have helped the defense more too. Not to mention all the head coach has talked about is this ground and pound approach. But the pieces don't fit.

The screwed up thing to me is that we HAD the pieces to run a ground and pound game and used a coach that wanted a modern short passing game. Now that we have a coach that wants to ground and pound, we seem to given up on making sure we have the horses to run the system. Tebow makes sense for that style, but he should not be a major contributor. As for Keller being a security blanket, I have never felt that way. Keller is his easiest target, but I never feel like he is a simple "last resort" target. He's just a guy Sanchez likes to look to. I'd prefer an end of the progression option - like Richie Anderson or Sowell used to be. I think that might go a long way towards helping him, but I think some of that is on Sanchez who has a tendency to panic and rip the ball to the backs when he feels rushed rather than relaxing and throwing it away or dumping it.

I don't care enough to listen to him talk for 10 minutes.

your 13,695 posts say otherwise. :winking0001:

I only suggested it because it sounded like you thought Holmes was being unfairly criticized. I just wanted you to hear his silliness for yourself.

2. Sanchez acted like a self entitled prick since he's been the QB of the NYJ.

I disagree with this. While his play has suffered in part to there being no realistic competition (which is on the front office, not him), I don't think Sanchez has shown any signs of entitlement. He's said all the right things, and other than the occassionaly moping over his own poor play, he's DONE the right things as well. He just sucks at playing pro football. That's all there is to it.

your 13,695 posts say otherwise. :winking0001:

I only suggested it because it sounded like you thought Holmes was being unfairly criticized. I just wanted you to hear his silliness for yourself.

Holmes is a gifted athlete, with a Super Bowl MVP award and a 12" penis under his belt. Given all that, I think he's actually sorta humble.

I disagree with this. While his play has suffered in part to there being no realistic competition (which is on the front office, not him), I don't think Sanchez has shown any signs of entitlement. He's said all the right things, and other than the occassionaly moping over his own poor play, he's DONE the right things as well. He just sucks at playing pro football. That's all there is to it.

Must have been the GQ magazine layout, the commercials for the NFL Network/Pepsi before he accomplished anything led to the conclusion.

He's played well in spots...but the problem is the lack of continued development...and when challenged by even the slightest criticism or one series of practice reps to Brunnel he acted like a petulant child.

Sorry but his non-verbals speak more to me than the words coming from his mouth.

Archived