Its about time Rex beats a team he isnt supposed to beat

Matt39

He's starting to talk again, which is fine as long as the team believes. But the Jets havent beat a team they werent supposed to beat since 2010.

Nothing is worse than a team that wins games they're supposed to win and always loses the games they were supposed to lose. Other than the Pats and Chargers playoff games and the two regular season Patriot wins...that's 4 games in 4 years. That needs to improve. What better time than now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He won more than that his first year. I don't think they were favored in any of their first three games under Rex - I think it was Texans, Titans and Pats. They won 4 road playoff games. I'm not so excited they were road wins, but you aren't "supposed to win" road playoff games. Now all of a sudden they were supposed to beat the defending AFC champs in Indy in 2010? At Pittsburgh in 2010 without Woody, we all tend to forget that one because of the playoff loss. I'm not sure if it's better than winning the one's you're supposed to, but he's won more than his share of games as the underdog.

He won more than that his first year. I don't think they were favored in any of their first three games under Rex - I think it was Texans, Titans and Pats. They won 4 road playoff games. I'm not so excited they were road wins, but you aren't "supposed to win" road playoff games. Now all of a sudden they were supposed to beat the defending AFC champs in Indy in 2010? At Pittsburgh in 2010 without Woody, we all tend to forget that one because of the playoff loss. I'm not sure if it's better than winning the one's you're supposed to, but he's won more than his share of games as the underdog.

Right but if you're going to talk, you better start beating teams you arent supposed to beat. That's the mark of a good coach and a good team. Last year they did none of that.

A coach that only beats the teams he's supposed to beat...and talks the way Rex talks...well that's a frontrunner.

While I kind of get your point, I'm with Dom in the fact that I don't think you're giving enough credit for some of the wins the Jets have picked up, particularly when Rex first showed up. When Rex came into town, the team had just went through a complete late season collapse, exchanged a future HOF QB for a rookie and made some pretty significant changes throughout the roster, so they weren't exactly supposed to beat a whole lot of teams. Like Dom said, they were routinely picked to lose to start that year and then by the end of the season, after a bad mid-season run, were not predicted to win any of those games. They were predicted to lose to the Bengals in the regular season and then after kicking the crap out of them, all we heard is how it didn't really mean anything because the Bengals sat their starters (while ignoring the fact that the Jets already had a 27-0 lead at that point in the game), and then with the Jets being on the road the next week, everyone still said they were going to lose, and then beat the Bengals again, followed by the Chargers game which you already mentioned.

In 2010 there were plenty more examples of the same, including pretty much every one of their 4 straight wins after the opening loss to Baltimore, as well as their games against Houston and most definitely Pittsburgh, who we got to hear for that entire week about how the Jets had never won in PA. They of course also were predicted to lose to both Indy and NE in the playoffs. Hell, even despite the mess that was last year, they certainly weren't expected to beat the Chargers (and I'm not sure about the Cowboys either). Point being that while the Jets definitely have some plenty of room to step up, I'd hardly say they haven't been able to beat anyone they're not "supposed to" beat since Rex got to town.

With all of that said, I will certainly agree with you that this week would be as good of time as any to step that up once again, although I'm certainly not betting on that happening.

Right but if you're going to talk, you better start beating teams you arent supposed to beat. That's the mark of a good coach and a good team. Last year they did none of that.

A coach that only beats the teams he's supposed to beat...and talks the way Rex talks...well that's a frontrunner.

I still like Rex but outside of the playoffs the Jets have not beaten good teams. The last victory vs. a winning team was exactly 1 year ago against San Diego. Since that game they are 0-6 vs. teams with winning records.

He's starting to talk again, which is fine as long as the team believes. But the Jets havent beat a team they werent supposed to beat since 2010.

Nothing is worse than a team that wins games they're supposed to win and always loses the games they were supposed to lose. Other than the Pats and Chargers playoff games and the two regular season Patriot wins...that's 4 games in 4 years. That needs to improve. What better time than now.

You're also forgetting the Colts playoff game and the Steelers regular season game in 2010. That's 6. You can include the Bengals playoff game as the Jets were underdogs. That's 7. You can also include the Texans game in 2009, which the Jets were road underdogs. That's 8.

So the problem isn't that Rex hasn't beaten teams they're not supposed to. It's, as Lionel pointed out, they haven't done such in over a year. THAT is the problem. It's been over a year since the Jets have won a game as underdogs . That's problematic.

You're also forgetting the Colts playoff game and the Steelers regular season game in 2010. That's 6. You can include the Bengals playoff game as the Jets were underdogs. That's 7. You can also include the Texans game in 2009, which the Jets were road underdogs. That's 8.

So the problem isn't that Rex hasn't beaten teams they're not supposed to. It's, as Lionel pointed out, they haven't done such in over a year. THAT is the problem. It's been over a year since the Jets have won a game as underdogs. That's problematic.

This.

The problem is that the running game fell off. When they could run on everyone that was the great equalizer. Sanchez being terrible was minimized and they could shorten the game. Recently the opposite has been happening. Can't run and the result is Sanchez is asked to do more and he's awful, so they lose. Pretty simple.

I'm as negative as anyone here and I bet on the Jets against Indy giving 3. They're getting 11 this week and I'm not touching it.

I won big last week on the Jets, Dallas and the Bucs.

My point was, all the "experts" had Indy winning. The pre-game for ESPN which I never watch said the Jets have literally not one single advantage over Indy and it was going to be ugly.

My point was, all the "experts" had Indy winning. The pre-game for ESPN which I never watch said the Jets have literally not one single advantage over Indy and it was going to be ugly.

The "experts" can say what they want, but the fact remained that the Jets were home favorites against the Colts, classic home 3 pt favorite.

In all 3 victories the Jets have either been a 3 point favorite.

It was ugly. FOR US!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

And what you wrote is exactly why I dont listen to, or read, what any of these bozos write or say.

As a wise man once said "Well, folks, when you’re right 52% of the time, you’re wrong 48% of the time."

smooth-jimmy-apollo2.jpg

So the problem isn't that Rex hasn't beaten teams they're not supposed to. It's, as Lionel pointed out, they haven't done such in over a year. THAT is the problem. It's been over a year since the Jets have won a game as underdogs . That's problematic.

Hey, that's what I already said! You know, just.... a lot wordier. You know how I do.

Marshall Faulk on NFL Network last Sunday: "The Jets literally have no playmakers on offense and the Colts just have too many playmakers for the Jets defense to handle."

I sh*t you not.

Why do you guys get so caught up in what analysts say about football?

Its not that we are "so caught up in what analysts say." The topic of this thread is "its about time Rex beats somebody he is not supposed to." Well how do we normally gauge that? We normally gauge that by what the so-called experts say.

Everybody and their mother was picking the Colts to win last week. Based on that alone, Rex beat somebody he wasn't supposed to beat last week. The notion of the OP that the Jets have never exceeded expectations under Rex Ryan is completely ludicrous. Did anyone predict the Jets would be one game away from the SB in either 2009 or 2010? Hell, even our loss to the Texans two weeks ago exceeded expectations as most "experts" had us losing that game by 3 or 4 dozen points.

I reject the premise of this thread.

Archived