Report: Bob Sutton will be Chiefs new DC

Maxman

I'm hoping this doesnt happen. Sutton is one of the few Jets coaches that has earned the respect of his peers and the players, and is known throughout the league as a stand-up guy. There was some hope he would DC here, but I guess everyone's gotta take their shot. If he gets a DC job elsewhere, best of luck to him.

I'm hoping this doesnt happen. Sutton is one of the few Jets coaches that has earned the respect of his peers and the players, and is known throughout the league as a stand-up guy. There was some hope he would DC here, but I guess everyone's gotta take their shot. If he gets a DC job elsewhere, best of luck to him.

I'm not sure if you perhaps blocked it out of your memory, but you are aware that Sutton previously served as Jets DC for 3 years under Mangini, right? It was not a pretty sight.

I'm guessing they'll probably be giving Sutton's AHC title to whoever the new OC ends up being, assuming it's some sort of known quantity in the NFL (e.g., Cameron)

Sutton's departure paves the way for Rob to come in as DC. The truth is he has had only one really good season (2006 as Raiders DC). His hiring will make for sickening good theater though.

no way will they back off and not give DC to Thurman. Rob may come but it would be as AssT HC/LB coach, same title Sutton had.

no way will they back off and not give DC to Thurman. Rob may come but it would be as AssT HC/LB coach, same title Sutton had.

We'll see -- I put nothing past this brain trust. They have a knack for effin' things up in ways never even dreamed of.

We'll see -- I put nothing past this brain trust. They have a knack for effin' things up in ways never even dreamed of.

I hear ya, but since they told him he was DC 2 days ago, that would be a monumental slap in face to Dennis who the jets blocked a chance to interview for a DC job last year.

I'm not sure if you perhaps blocked it out of your memory, but you are aware that Sutton previously served as Jets DC for 3 years under Mangini, right? It was not a pretty sight.

I'm guessing they'll probably be giving Sutton's AHC title to whoever the new OC ends up being, assuming it's some sort of known quantity in the NFL (e.g., Cameron)

I didnt say I wanted him to DC again. I said there was some hope he'd get the DC job here but he'll have to take his shot elswhere. I honestly don't care who DC's here. Rex is the puppet master on the Defense and he will be as long as he's here. I hate to lose him because he's solid and respectable. There's not a lot of that on this squad anymore. My fear is that we replace solid citizens with more yes-men and cool-aid drinking schmucks. I'm afraid its inevitable though. We get worse until Woody learns to be a real owner or sells the team to someone who treats the Jets as more than a cash cow.

I didnt say I wanted him to DC again. I said there was some hope he'd get the DC job here but he'll have to take his shot elswhere. I honestly don't care who DC's here. Rex is the puppet master on the Defense and he will be as long as he's here. I hate to lose him because he's solid and respectable. There's not a lot of that on this squad anymore. My fear is that we replace solid citizens with more yes-men and cool-aid drinking schmucks. I'm afraid its inevitable though. We get worse until Woody learns to be a real owner or sells the team to someone who treats the Jets as more than a cash cow.

This is my fear as well. The Jets bring in nothing but Yes men for Rex.

Not sure how to react. Everyone sucks so we shouldnt be upset about losing staff but someone how I feel as though this is terrible news and all Rex Ryan's fault.

He drove out a long tenured and upstanding part of this organization YET AGAIN. Not coincidentally on the same day Westhoff tore the Jets a new one on Tebow, yet another poor boy ruined by the Jets under Ryan.

When a lot of people go like this I think of three scenarios. One, the coach has blamed everybody but himself and will do anything to hang on. So he finds the widest bus he can and pushes all of his major assistants under it. Two, the owner canned everybody and tells the coach from here on out you don't pick anything, the GM will pick the coaches. And you have to win or you are gone! Three the coaches know that this is a sinking ship (or something more sinister like a terrible owner) and are running for the hills. Not only can't we get a GM, we cannot get an OC and our DC came from the inside.

Whenever I hear Rex now he sounds like he is drifting, whereas he always sounded grounded before. One more year with the NY media should put him in a strait jacket.

I am thinking same stuff..maybe some of the defections are base don Rex having some 'medical' issues

When a lot of people go like this I think of three scenarios. One, the coach has blamed everybody but himself and will do anything to hang on. So he finds the widest bus he can and pushed allhis major assistants under it. Two, the owner canned everybody and tells the coach from here on out you don't pick anything, the GM will pick the coaches. And you have to win or you are gone! Three the coaches know that this is a sinking ship (or something more sinister like a terrible owner) and are running for the hills. Not only can't we get a GM, we cannot get an OC and our DC came from the inside.

The worst part of the scenario is if an Owner tells a Coach that he can't pick players, can't pick coaches, can't do this or that.

So this is like a free year to start building a staff for some other team next season. GO see Andy Reid. He already had a couple of new jobs and staff in hand long before the Eagles season ended. And how did that work out for the Eagles? Reid has a HC job. Eagles are still searching for a new coach. And are looking to start over after a 4-12 season.

How is that a good way to build a team? So if Rex has no say in anything next year, he'll just use that as an excuse for his next job, and the Jets will have to start all over again next year. And a GM can't use the excuse that it was Rex's fault because the new GM was supposed to start building his own staff, picking his own players. Except it's hard to pick players if you don't even know what kind of system a coach runs.

If the Jets want to clean house and rebuild and Rex isn't in the future plans, then fire him and move on. Otherwise why waste 2-3-4 years hoping next year there will be better coaches, better players?

The worst part of the scenario is if an Owner tells a Coach that he can't pick players, can't pick coaches, can't do this or that.

So this is like a free year to start building a staff for some other team next season. GO see Andy Reid. He already had a couple of new jobs and staff in hand long before the Eagles season ended. And how did that work out for the Eagles? Reid has a HC job. Eagles are still searching for a new coach. And are looking to start over after a 4-12 season.

How is that a good way to build a team? So if Rex has no say in anything next year, he'll just use that as an excuse for his next job, and the Jets will have to start all over again next year. And a GM can't use the excuse that it was Rex's fault because the new GM was supposed to start building his own staff, picking his own players. Except it's hard to pick players if you don't even know what kind of system a coach runs.

If the Jets want to clean house and rebuild and Rex isn't in the future plans, then fire him and move on. Otherwise why waste 2-3-4 years hoping next year there will be better coaches, better players?

They should have fired everyone. They would have their GM and maybe a coach by now.

They should have fired everyone. They would have their GM and maybe a coach by now.

This is what I don't understand. Giving a HC one year to 'sink or swim' with some new GM and new coaches and new players, and maybe even a new QB does what for anybody? So if the Jets go 8-8, does Rex stay and it's another one of those, we will give you another year.

If Rex goes 6-10 does he get fired even if the defense was good, but the offense sucked because Moore/Sanchez and the new OC sucked and the draft picks by said new GM sucked. How is that building anything? And why would the GM get a pass if his coaches and drafts and free agent signings stunk?

Archived