Marty Mornhinwheg to be named OC

Matt39

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My statement was tongue in cheek.

But as i said yesterday in some thread that while we know Idzik's bio we do not know his accomplishments. So we will have to see.

I am surprised by the Mornhinwheg hiring. But we will see what he has to work with when the season starts.

I've supported this time through disappointment after disappointment. While the Jets and I have had to take a break a few times, I've never once strayed and I've never even considered finding another team. If the Jets bring in Vick, I am done with this team, period.

I've supported this time through disappointment after disappointment. While the Jets and I have had to take a break a few times, I've never once strayed and I've never even considered finding another team. If the Jets bring in Vick, I am done with this team, period.

If that's the case, for your sake I hope we sign him. This is an abusive relationship and we all deserve better.

Well, you put them on notice, let's see how the Jets respond to your threat.

The issue I have with Marty is that he was the OC for the Eagles during their downfall. If he were their OC when they were going to NFC Championship games year in and year out, great, but he's been there during the fall of McNabb, Vick, plud Vince Young sucked, and the rookie this year stunk.

So why should I get excited over an OC who over the past decade plus who stunk as a HC and hasn't exactly developed any QB nor was all that good as an OC. He gets credit for a few games over one season back in 2006. What happened since 2006? And saying he was great in the 90's is a bit much. Steve Young was 37. He has shown that without a great QB, he really isn't that good.

What year and a half? Everything I read said that he was calling plays from mid-2006 on. I know there were articles suggesting Reid pull his play calling when they sucked in 2012.

read here,,maybe its wrong:

Mornhinweg masterminded the Eagles offense in the final six games of the 2006 season, and into the NFC Playoffs. Coach Andy Reid gave Mornhinweg the play calling responsibilities after the Eagles' disastrous loss to the Indianapolis Colts, 45-21. The Eagles won all six games, employing a more balanced run/pass attack. The wins included an unprecedented three consecutive December divisional road games, all with a back-up quarterback, Jeff Garcia. It was the only time Reid yielded play calling responsibilities, a role Mornhinweg continued through the 2007 season.

http://en.wikipedia....arty_Mornhinweg

I think Andy has giveth and taketh play calling off and on over the years.

The issue I have with Marty is that he was the OC for the Eagles during their downfall. If he were their OC when they were going to NFC Championship games year in and year out, great, but he's been there during the fall of McNabb, Vick, plud Vince Young sucked, and the rookie this year stunk.

So why should I get excited over an OC who over the past decade plus who stunk as a HC and hasn't exactly developed any QB nor was all that good as an OC. He gets credit for a few games over one season back in 2006. What happened since 2006? And saying he was great in the 90's is a bit much. Steve Young was 37. He has shown that without a great QB, he really isn't that good.

For the record, Mornhinweg's Eagles reached the playoffs in four of his seven seasons there, and the NFC Championship game once. His offense's ranking over that period were 2, 6, 9, 11, 2, 4, and 15.

Conversely, Brian Schottenheimer only had one offense ranked higher than Mornhinweg's worst. And Sporano was worse than that.

You're under no obligation to be excited, but the man would seem to be an improvement.

read here,,maybe its wrong:

Mornhinweg masterminded the Eagles offense in the final six games of the 2006 season, and into the NFC Playoffs. Coach Andy Reid gave Mornhinweg the play calling responsibilities after the Eagles' disastrous loss to the Indianapolis Colts, 45-21. The Eagles won all six games, employing a more balanced run/pass attack. The wins included an unprecedented three consecutive December divisional road games, all with a back-up quarterback, Jeff Garcia. It was the only time Reid yielded play calling responsibilities, a role Mornhinweg continued through the 2007 season.

http://en.wikipedia....arty_Mornhinweg

I think Andy has giveth and taketh play calling off and on over the years.

Um... that is wikipedia. Try an actual source. I would rather that you just quoted yourself. You are more reliable. That was probably written in 2007.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Sources_Michael_Vick_will_remain_the_starter_Marty_Mornhinweg_will_still_call_plays.html

Reid, obviously, did not think the play-calling needed to be improved to the point that he would yank responsibility from Mornhinweg, who has had it since 2006. Reid called plays for most of the first half of his tenure with the Eagles.

That is from October 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/28/washburn-questioned-mornhinwegs-playcalling/

We mentioned last night that Eagles defensive line coach Jim Washburn and offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg got into a “heated discussion” on the sideline last night.

Now we have a few more details on the matter.

Howard Eskin of 610 WIP Radio and NBC 10 reports that Washburnquestioned Mornhinweg’s playcalling after an early Eagles interception. (Philly threw three straight passes to give the ball back to New England.)

November 2011

I'm not sure how much influence that Reid had in playcalling or if they shared duties, but I'm not buying a wikipedia article that doesn't ever say that Reid went back to play calling as proof Mornhinweg ever stopped.

Um... that is wikipedia. Try an actual source. I would rather that you just quoted yourself. You are more reliable. That was probably written in 2007.

http://www.philly.co...call_plays.html

That is from October 2012.

http://profootballta...gs-playcalling/

November 2011

I'm not sure how much influence that Reid had in playcalling or if they shared duties, but I'm not buying a wikipedia article that doesn't ever say that Reid went back to play calling as proof Mornhinweg ever stopped.

makes no difference,,EVERYONE knows Andy ALWAYS has issues with play calling and his OCs. Goes back and forth, play to play in some cases.

Reid already announced he is calling plays in KC. I suspect this went on a lot and reason Marty didnt follow Andy to KC. Marty probably wants a chance at being a OC without the interference of a HC who thinks he is also the OC ;) (Rex/Pettine, LOL)

This worries me a tad if Andy was having so much influence that we dont know Marty the OC on his own without Andy's meddling.

makes no difference,,EVERYONE knows Andy ALWAYS has issues with play calling and his OCs. Goes back and forth, play to play in some cases.

This worries me a tad if Andy was having so much influence that we dont know Marty the OC on his own without Andy's meddling.

I'm not sure what you're getting at? Reid always had issues with relinquishing play calling but let Mornhinweg have it for five years? Seems that he trusted the guy. Reid wasn't there in SF when Mornhinweg ran an offense that got people thinking that chicken armed shrimp Garcia can come out of retirement and be better than what we've had. I'm not saying the guy is going to be great, but simply that he called plays in Philly.

There's been articles on how Reid treated Mornhinweg like an equal rather than a student. They both started out as Packers' assistants in the 90's with Reid one step ahead as far as jobs were concerned (OL coach when Mornhinweg his job as an offensive assistant - which I assume means he was just there to help insult people). They come from the same NFL school, both are QB/passing guys with track records, and he's the only coach who Reid ever gave play calling duties to for a significant period of time (see: years).

I'm not sure what you're getting at? Reid always had issues with relinquishing play calling but let Mornhinweg have it for five years? Seems that he trusted the guy. Reid wasn't there in SF when Mornhinweg ran an offense that got people thinking that chicken armed shrimp Garcia can come out of retirement and be better than what we've had. I'm not saying the guy is going to be great, but simply that he called plays in Philly.

agree to disagree..

andy was always too involved.. I think andy had more influence than a OC wants.

Reid already announced he is calling plays in KC. I suspect this went on a lot and reason Marty didnt follow Andy to KC. Marty probably wants a chance at being a OC without the interference of a HC who thinks he is also the OC ;) (Rex/Pettine, LOL.

agaoin, agree to disagree

agree to disagree..

andy was always too involved.. I think andy had more influence than a OC wants.

Reid already announced he is calling plays in KC. I suspect this went on a lot and reason Marty didnt follow Andy to KC. Marty probably wants a chance at being a OC without the interference of a HC who thinks he is also the OC ;) (Rex/Pettine, LOL.

agaoin, agree to disagree

Fine with me, but I'm not sure what we are disagreeing about. You think Reid was calling plays? That wasn't the alleged role, but I'm sure he had plenty of influence.

I think we are going to see a huge uptick in yardage, but not necessarily scoring and I think we are going to spend a bunch of time complaining about throwing the ball with our sh*tty QB and WRs when we should be running clock. Defensive rankings will probably suffer, but the sacks and INTs will probably go up.

Fine with me, but I'm not sure what we are disagreeing about. You think Reid was calling plays? That wasn't the alleged role, but I'm sure he had plenty of influence.

I think we are going to see a huge uptick in yardage, but not necessarily scoring and I think we are going to spend a bunch of time complaining about throwing the ball with our sh*tty QB and WRs when we should be running clock. Defensive rankings will probably suffer, but the sacks and INTs will probably go up.

agree..

hopefully we get someone who can pass and lead a WR/RB on the route so they catch in midstep (a must in WCO) and we get RB who can catch and make folks miss from dump off passes (a WCO staple).

Maybe Draft RB Gio Bernard (greta catching ball out of backfield/getting YAC) somewhere in 2nd round. Maybe trade down from #9 accumulate picks..

For the record, Mornhinweg's Eagles reached the playoffs in four of his seven seasons there, and the NFC Championship game once. His offense's ranking over that period were 2, 6, 9, 11, 2, 4, and 15.

Conversely, Brian Schottenheimer only had one offense ranked higher than Mornhinweg's worst. And Sporano was worse than that.

You're under no obligation to be excited, but the man would seem to be an improvement.

If that's the best you can do, wow. Because Schotty's Jets, under two different HC, made the playoffs 3 seasons out of his 6, and he made it to the AFC Championship game Twice. I don't like Schotty at all, but saying Marty is better cause the Eagles made the playoffs is a bad analogy.

Nobody liked Tony. Nobody thought the guy should have come here. But it's a stretch saying Marty is that much better than Schotty.

Marty was the OC of a team who was supposed to contend for a Super Bowl with QBs like McNabb and Vick.

Schotty was the OC of a team with Clemens, Pennington, and Sanchez as QB.

Is Marty an improvement over Schotty? Who knows. Even though Schotty stunk, the truth is, the Eagles have been a bad team the past few seasons while Marty was their OC. The Eagles cleaned house because the team didn't live up to expectations and the offense faltered. You can list all the stats you want, Vick was a turnover machine and the Eagles finished 8-8 and 4-12 the last two seasons. And the season before that McNabb got benched and wound up traded away. Kolb wound up in Arizona. Vick wound up sucking besides a couple of games, Vince Young just sucked, and the new kid this year didn't look that good.

I hope Marty does a great job, but from what I've seen from his teams the last few years, I'm not expecting him to suddenly make the Jets a top rated offense. I'm not expecting this guy to turn some QB drafted into a HOFer either. Maybe he will, but the history says he probably won't. He's only better than Schotty because he wasn't a Jets coach. Because truthfully, Schotty's teams made the playoffs 3 out of 6 seasons and made it to 2 AFC Championship games. Marty's teams made it to the playoffs 4 out of the last 7 seasons and 1 NFC Championship game with a hell of a lot better players on offense.

Even though Schotty stunk, the truth is, the Eagles have been a bad team the past few seasons while Marty was their OC.

The Eagles offense was ranked 2nd, 4th, and 15th over the last few years. Schottenheimer had an offense ranked higher that 15th once in his career.

If that's the best you can do, wow. Because Schotty's Jets, under two different HC, made the playoffs 3 seasons out of his 6, and he made it to the AFC Championship game Twice. I don't like Schotty at all, but saying Marty is better cause the Eagles made the playoffs is a bad analogy.

Nobody liked Tony. Nobody thought the guy should have come here. But it's a stretch saying Marty is that much better than Schotty.

Marty was the OC of a team who was supposed to contend for a Super Bowl with QBs like McNabb and Vick.

Schotty was the OC of a team with Clemens, Pennington, and Sanchez as QB.

Is Marty an improvement over Schotty? Who knows. Even though Schotty stunk, the truth is, the Eagles have been a bad team the past few seasons while Marty was their OC. The Eagles cleaned house because the team didn't live up to expectations and the offense faltered. You can list all the stats you want, Vick was a turnover machine and the Eagles finished 8-8 and 4-12 the last two seasons. And the season before that McNabb got benched and wound up traded away. Kolb wound up in Arizona. Vick wound up sucking besides a couple of games, Vince Young just sucked, and the new kid this year didn't look that good.

I hope Marty does a great job, but from what I've seen from his teams the last few years, I'm not expecting him to suddenly make the Jets a top rated offense. I'm not expecting this guy to turn some QB drafted into a HOFer either. Maybe he will, but the history says he probably won't. He's only better than Schotty because he wasn't a Jets coach. Because truthfully, Schotty's teams made the playoffs 3 out of 6 seasons and made it to 2 AFC Championship games. Marty's teams made it to the playoffs 4 out of the last 7 seasons and 1 NFC Championship game with a hell of a lot better players on offense.

Vick was there 3 years and they were 3rd and 8th in points and 2nd and 4th in yards the first two. Think people would be complaining about Schottenheimer or Sanchez? The offense has been better than the defense in Philly during the time Mornhingweg has been there. The Jets D has been carrying them

Archived