Sources: Niners in pursuit of Darrelle Revis

JetsFanInDenver

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I let you know how good of a deal it is when it happens.

In the meantime Sanchez just started working out yesterday with Garcia. He's going to go all Chad-Karate this offseason. I really hope the Jets do what's necessary to help him excel.

I want a .gif of you punching yourself in the face.

If the article by Mehta, that Pac posted, is true, and with Mehta you always have to wonder, Revis is gone.

If he is on the team this year after this, Idzik is a fool.  He’ll walk, and the Jets get nothing.  I don’t think he is a fool.

Problem is any team interested also knows this.  It’s not true that the Jets will automatically  get a 3rd rounder if Revis walks.  That is only true if the Jets don’t sign any FA’s of their own next season.  They will have cap room next year, and probably will be players in FA.   They could wind up with a 5-7 for him.

At this point anything they get above a 3rd is found money.

If they have two teams interested, it could be a lot of found money.  What they get for Revis will be a great indicator what kind of GM Idzik is

The more I see from guys like Revis, our supposed leaders, the more I understand why this team folds up when faced with adversity.

He's a great, great player, but I would argue a part of this team's solidarity problems. He may say all the right things, but actions undermine words. Me-first, immature assholes that jockey for position are not leaders of men.

What did he do? Give an interview?

but the saying holds true that the best qbs win. Flacco was the best qb in the playoffs that year and he won. So you could say he played to an elite level

dont get caught up in the name

How did the saying hold true if you had to add a whole new part to it (in the playoffs)? So all you need is a QB that plays well in the playoffs? Well shiiiiiiieeeeeettttt.....Dummy's done that.

the Revis trade is virtually impossible to pull off before the season, per Schefter.  there new reports today but the logistics are still really tough. There's the issue of Revis' knee, the issue of Revis' new contract and the issue of getting compensation. If the Jets trade Revis for a 3rd before the season there will be mass revolt among season ticket holders. Among internet message board posters there will be great rejoicing but the people who pay for tickets want the Jets to be competitive. Now. If they trade Revis, for a 1,2,3 that's at least something everyone can buy into... if they sell him for nothing it will be another PR disaster.

If the article by Mehta, that Pac posted, is true, and with Mehta you always have to wonder, Revis is gone.

If he is on the team this year after this, Idzik is a fool.  He’ll walk, and the Jets get nothing.  I don’t think he is a fool. 

Darrelle Revis trade: 49ers distancing themselves from mix

Though Darrelle Revis may not be a Jet next year, it is unclear where he will end up. (Photo by William Perlman/The Star-Ledger)

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on March 06, 2013 at 11:16 AM, updated March 06, 2013 at 11:47 AM

In the Darrelle Revis sweepstakes, the 49ers quickly emerged as a front-runner because of their wealth of draft picks and need for a shut-down cover corner

The team has 13 selections going into the 2013 Draft and is built to win now, with a core of players that fell a few plays short of winning the Super Bowl.

However, at least for the time being, the team seems to be distancing themselves from a possible deal. According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, one team official said there's less than a one percent chance of something happening.

The Falcons seem to be announcing their distance as well.

The most immediate problem for the Jets in this situation, though, could be inside their own building. An ESPN report suggested that Rex Ryan could clash with management if a deal goes down.

Ryan obviously wants his best player in the fold, one he has a tremendous amount of respect for, while he fights to keep his spot as Jets head coach.

the Revis trade is virtually impossible to pull off before the season, per Schefter.  there new reports today but the logistics are still really tough. There's the issue of Revis' knee, the issue of Revis' new contract and the issue of getting compensation. If the Jets trade Revis for a 3rd before the season there will be mass revolt among season ticket holders. Among internet message board posters there will be great rejoicing but the people who pay for tickets want the Jets to be competitive. Now. If they trade Revis, for a 1,2,3 that's at least something everyone can buy into... if they sell him for nothing it will be another PR disaster.

No where near the revolt there will be if he walks away for nothing at the end of the season.

Beside that, if you think the Jets, or any other NFL team cares what the fans think, you haven't been paying attention.

People will complain, then soon as the Jets get back in the playoffs they will  fighting to get the good seats

if the Jets let him walk they will get a 3rd anyway in comp picks. Assuming they don't sign any high priced free agents (which is a safe assumption for a 'rebuilding' team)

No where near the revolt there will be if he walks away for nothing at the end of the season.

That's not happening. Their asking price is in the two firsts range, and they know the comp pick value as well.

The most immediate problem for the Jets in this situation, though, could be inside their own building. An ESPN report suggested that Rex Ryan could clash with management if a deal goes down.

Weird that would matter if Rex only has a 6.9% chance of returning next yea, anyway. :P

But really, seems odd that Rex would butt heads at a time when it would look from the outside like he's on a one year trial, himself. Either he's confident in his position with the Jets, or confident in his ability to get hired right away if he's let go.

Weird that would matter if Rex only has a 6.9% chance of returning next yea, anyway. :tongue:

But really, seems odd that Rex would butt heads at a time when it would look from the outside like he's on a one year trial, himself. Either he's confident in his position with the Jets, or confident in his ability to get hired right away if he's let go.

I'd be pretty confident in both if I was him. He'd last 5 minutes on the open market, and the gig would be high profile. 

Schefter was on Mike and Mike and said he was wrong, that he believes Revis will be moved rather quickly.. this month in fact. 

I have read that if he is not gone by draft day Idzik is a failure.  That is the exact bullsh*t that pisses me off.  Trade him if you like the value and know you can't/don't want to sign him, but there is no shame in keeping him around a little longer.

You lack conviction.

I don't.  I'd have teams think I was happy to keep Revis for the season.  It wouldn't be hard, what with me not wanting to tank 2013 to get Ryan fired like everybody else.

I don't.  I'd have teams think I was happy to keep Revis for the season.  It wouldn't be hard, what with me not wanting to tank 2013 to get Ryan fired like everybody else.

Such arrogance! Where do you see the Jets in 10 years under your plan? You can't just ignore the long term. 

It will be more than for just a 3rd. 

I have read that if he is not gone by draft day Idzik is a failure. That is the exact bullsh*t that pisses me off. Trade him if you like the value and know you can't/don't want to sign him, but there is no shame in keeping him around a little longer.

I don't. I'd have teams think I was happy to keep Revis for the season. It wouldn't be hard, what with me not wanting to tank 2013 to get Ryan fired like everybody else.

I meant Gato doesn't have the conviction to be the next me. Nor the charisma.

I can't wait for the Jets to sell Revis for pennies so I can be Idzik's and JN's new and improved T0mShane.

2013 first and second + 2014 first or NO DICE bitch.

If you reach 2005 levels i would be a fan. But please do not be like the bot that Max has let loose on us. No board can survive two of those!

Among internet message board posters there will be great rejoicing but the people who pay for tickets want the Jets to be competitive.

Yes, you've skewered us once again. We all sit in our mom's basements and pray that the Jets trade their best player for pennies on the dollar. How can you waste your deductive powers here, when so many crimes go unsolved everyday?

if the Jets let him walk they will get a 3rd anyway in comp picks. Assuming they don't sign any high priced free agents (which is a safe assumption for a 'rebuilding' team)

i dont see that at all. That year they are gonna have some cap space I think they gonna go wild in free agency

How did the saying hold true if you had to add a whole new part to it (in the playoffs)? So all you need is a QB that plays well in the playoffs? Well shiiiiiiieeeeeettttt.....Dummy's done that.

If you have the qb who is playing the best out of anyone else (sanchez will never do that) they will win the super bowl

Revis is damaged goods right now.  His knee, his contract and his penchant for holding out probably out weighs most teams desire for taking away one of 4 or 5 receiving threats per play.  Knee gets better and if his contract demands become less maniacal it will pick up.  .  

Funny thing is , with his injury now, he is probably better off in LONG run (not short run) to stay w/Jets.

1- Take a smaller salary, but end career as one of few lifetime AllPro players who were jets forever

2- NYC still media hub, has to translate into the dollars he may miss by accepting smaller Jets salary. You know Nike would prefer he stay in NY and it wouldnt shock me if they 'hinted' his Nike salary would be sweeter if he stayed in NY

3- Retirement would be more lucrative in NY media market as a lifelong Jet

So Revis, you want to be penny wise, dollar foolish? Go for the quick pennies and leave the future dollars on table :)

Nothing precludes the Jets from trading Revis now and still signing him to a FA contract after 2013.   

Revis is going to the highest bidder no matter what.  Personally, I think it's foolish to pay a CB 15M/yr but if Idzik want to bet his job on it that's his decision but he may as well make it after the 2013 season.   

Archived