Cimini: Revis Watch Begins

flgreen

Sunday notes: Revis Watch begins

March, 10, 2013
Mar 10

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Revis is due to receive a $1 million roster bonus if he's still a Jet next Saturday.
A look at the Jets and around the NFL:

1. Cornering the market: The Darrelle Revis camp is pushing for a resolution ASAP -- i.e. a trade -- because it's concerned about the cornerback market drying up. There are a handful of good free-agent corners out there, namely Sean Smith (Dolphins) and Aqib Talib (Patriots). Dunta Robinson, released by the Falcons, was gobbled up by the Chiefs. Teams such as the Bucs, Cards, Patriots and Broncos are shopping for a cornerback, and it's highly unlikely they'd be interested in dealing for Revis if they spend $8 million-a-year on someone else.

This could be part of the Jets' strategy, but it's a double-edged strategy. They could wait out Revis until, say, the summer, figuring the cornerback market will be depressed and they'd be able to re-sign him to a team-friendly deal. Of course, if they wait that long, they risk losing the most aggressive suitors, the teams desperate for help at the position -- if they opt for the trade route.

For those of you on Revis Watch, pay attention to the cornerback signings, starting Tuesday. That could tell us where Revis might be headed. The Broncos have expressed interest, according to a source. The Bucs have more than $30 million in cap room and could be a dark horse.

[+] Enlarge
Al Pereira/New York Jets/Getty ImagesAntonio Cromartie finished last season with three interceptions and 35 tackles.
2. Time for the bonus, baby: The first artificial deadline in the Revis situation is next Saturday -- a $1 million roster bonus if he's on the team. Once he earns the bonus, he doesn't have to return it if he gets traded and it counts toward the salary cap. If you're thinking of cutting ties with a player, it makes sense to do it before committing $1 million to him. Because of the magnitude of the Revis situation, the bonus probably won't have an impact on the Jets' thinking, a league source told me.

Other Jets roster bonuses: C Nick Mangold -- $3 million on Tuesday; CB Antonio Cromartie -- $2.3 million on Tuesday.

3. Scheme change?: There have been some rumblings around the league that the Jets, predominantly a 3-4 team under Rex Ryan, may use more 4-3 fronts than in the past. It makes sense, considering the personnel. After cutting Calvin Pace and Bart Scott, they're thin on linebackers, but they could put David Harris in the middle and Demario Davis on the weak side. Actually, Davis probably is better suited to a 4-3. At the scouting combine, Rex Ryan mentioned how DT Quinton Coples will be used more on the edge than inside, perhaps another 4-3 hint. Also, they're trying hard to re-sign DT Mike DeVito, which would give them four starting-caliber linemen. Food for thought.

4. One year ago ... : Saturday marked the one-year anniversary of: 1.) the Jets getting blown off by Peyton Manning, 2.) the Jets signing QB Mark Sanchez to a three-year contract extension, basically a new five-year contract for $58 million. Ah, memories. On the night it was announced, this is what I wrote: "This move is so stunning, so confounding, so impulsive, so typical of the Jets...It means Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum are all in with Sanchez. He'll either make them famous or get them fired." And now Tannenbaum is a guest analyst for the NFL Network. Unfortunately for him, there are no mulligans in the GM business.

5. Nick the kick: The best thing that happened to Nick Novak was getting cut by the Jets during the 2011 preseason. Novak, who lost out to Nick Folk, landed with the Chargers. On Saturday, he reportedly signed a four-year, $6.6 million contract, including a $1.5 million signing bonus. The Jets liked Novak, but they felt more comfortable with Folk. Novak actually was cut by the Chargers last summer, but he was re-signed when incumbent Nate Kaeding got hurt. Kaeding got Wally Pipped, as Novak made 18 of 20 FG attempts.

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what the Jets do with Folk, an unrestricted free agent. He's probably looking for Novak money, and then some. Can the Jets afford him? Can they afford to lose a reliable kicker?

[+] Enlarge
Brian Spurlock/USA TODAY SportsRyan Nassib led Syracuse to an 8-5 record last season as a senior. He recorded 3,749 passing yards, 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.
6. On the quarterback trail: Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg reportedly had dinner last week with Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib after his pro day. He's an interesting prospect. Scouts are divided on him, their opinions ranging from future star to career backup. Nassib doesn't have a big arm, but he's smart with a quick release, attributes that would fit nicely in Mornhinweg's West Coast system. The Jets are very interested in drafting a quarterback. The draft looks like a realistic option because, let's face it, the free-agent market stinks.

7. Buy cheap, get cheap: Anybody remember the Jets' free-agent class from a year ago? Okay, I'll tell: S LaRon Landry, WR Chaz Schilens, QB Drew Stanton (traded), and S Yeremiah Bell. There's a very good chance none of these players will be on the 2013 roster, as they all signed one-year contracts. Ironically, the player whose impact could be felt the longest is Stanton, who was dealt away to the Colts a week after the Jets acquired Tim Tebow -- a $500,000 mistake because Stanton got to keep his signing bonus. They received a sixth-round pick, which they used to select S Josh Bush, who saw limited action. His role could expand this season.

8. Like old times?: The Jets need a pass rusher. Former Jet John Abraham, cut by the Falcons, needs a team. Could they ... possibly ... maybe ... you know, reunite? No chance, according to a source. Abraham wants to sign with a contender. Don't they all?

9. Fear the Fish: With more than $30 million in cap room and five draft picks in the first three rounds, the Dolphins have positioned themselves to make a nice turnaround. They re-signed WR Brian Hartline and backup QB Matt Moore, and my money is on them to land coveted free-agent WR Mike Wallace. But, you know what? It doesn't matter much unless second-year QB Ryan Tannehill takes a big step. It's always about the quarterback in the NFL. If you've got one, you're good to go. If not, you're picking in the top 10 every year.

10. Go Wes, young man: Quite understandably, the status of Patriots WR Wes Welker is a huge story in New England. If they don't sign him by Tuesday, he hits the open market. Folks in Beantown will yell and scream, ripping Bill Belichick for letting him Welker walk. Make no mistake, Belichick is as cold as they come when it comes to making tough personnel decisions. But here's the thing: He's almost always right. If he thinks they can survive without Welker, they will.

this thread seems like a good enough place to put the Revis to Philly rumors...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20130310_Eagles_should_pursue_Darrelle_Revis.html

several tidbits are interesting about this

1. Nick Foles is not a fit in Philly and already knows Marty Morn's plays (and he's dirt cheap cap-wise). He'd beat out Sanchez, guys like Gerrard or Quinn wouldn't. 

2. The fact that a team picking 4th thinks Revis gets them closer to a SB than a team picking 9th pretty much says it all. Revis is a good player that makes any team better. the Jets aren't gonna get better by losing him. JMO 10 or 20 years we will look back on the Revis trade as a terrible moment in Jets history.

3. note that Revis latest demands are generously listed as 12-16 mil. Pretty wide range. most posters seem to think he wants 16, that is how negotiations work, you start high and the team starts low and meet in the middle. Just cause an agent says 16 doesn't mean it's 16 not a penny less. But this is all moot because Woody is not gonna pay revis. Another great decision by Woody.  

If you're trading Revis for Nick Foles and a lower pick then you had better be damn sure that Nick Foles is your franchise QB moving forward, not a stop gap. If he isn't your future QB then that trade would be an utter disaster. We can find plenty of QB's around for pennies that will win 6 games for us. He has to be the guy.

In the article you linked a Philly fan suggested Foles, DeSean Jackson and a 3rd round pick for Revis. I'm not sure what Jackson's contract situation is. However, from a pure talent perspective I would find that offer a little tempting.

I agree with you, bitoni, on point 3. Why is everyone acting like he's going to get paid what he wants? Not off an injury like this, no. He's affordable. We can afford to keep him, especially since Sanchez comes off the books next year.

Revis isnt signing a damn thing until he plays this year.  There is NO chance of an extension (unless he thinks he can't come back 100%) so those dreams of getting Revis on the cheap are just that...dreams.  He will go after the empty title of "Highest paid defensive player" next year on the open market.

Revis isnt signing a damn thing until he plays this year.  There is NO chance of an extension (unless he thinks he can't come back 100%) so those dreams of getting Revis on the cheap are just that...dreams.  He will go after the empty title of "Highest paid defensive player" next year on the open market.

The Jets have to sign him or trade him, sooner rather than later, or wind up losing him for next to nothing next year.

If you're trading Revis for Nick Foles and a lower pick then you had better be damn sure that Nick Foles is your franchise QB moving forward, not a stop gap 

he's a future QB whether he's a SUPER Bowl winner QB that's another question. He's competent. The way this trade market is shaping up, a 2nd and Foles might be the most the Jets can get out of Revis. Which is sad. Some will say that's better than a 3rd comp, and maybe that's true. But it feels like selling at a low. 

The bottom line is that the Jets can't afford to extend this year...if you make him play for the contract he agreed to, then he will be gone next year and he may, out of spite, sign with the Pats. At least if we trade him now, we should be able to get better than a 3rd round pick and hopefully ship him outside the AFC. My nightmare scenario is that the Jets can't trade him, he grumbles all through 2013 on the Jets and then in 2014 signs with the Patriots. The nightmare comes twice a year...seeing him Patriot blue would hurt more than anything.

Ugh.

Not a chirp from Sanchez on re-structuring....you know he knows the well goes dry after this year, so why restructure? Get every penny then pursue that modeling career.

Jets, wake up and trade revis and get the most you can.

Another article:  

Reports: Revis wants quick resolution with Jets, Eagles could be suitor

revis142932--415x415.jpg

Jeff Zelevansky

If the Jets are going to trade Darrelle Revis, Revis’ people want it to happen as soon as possible.

With the free agency period set to begin this week, ESPN New York reports that
Revis’ camp is concerned that all the good cornerbacks will be scooped
up quickly and a team in need of a corner won’t be interesting in
acquiring Revis if they’re bringing in a standout at the position like
Sean Smith or Aqib Talib.

On Sunday, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that
there are rumors that Eagles GM Howie Roseman is "crunching numbers"
and "putting together an offer" to acquire Revis. The Eagles will be
losing star corners Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie this
offseason.

Meanwhile, the Jets will owe Revis a $1 million roster bonus if he’s
on the roster Saturday. That figure will not be incentive for the Jets
to hasten the process to decide Revis’ future, though, a league source
told ESPN. Revis is far too important that a mere $1 million would
change his fate, even if it will count against the salary cap.

The Jets could drag this situation out and hope the cornerback market
is dried up by summer. Then they could hope to re-sign Revis to a deal
they’d be more comfortable with. However, if all the teams fill their CB
needs by then, there won’t be many suitors if the Jets try to trade
Revis.

Sources told The Post’s Steve Serby last week that Revis would prefer
to remain with the Jets. Revis said recently that it would be “awesome”
to play for the 49ers, but a source said that slip of the tongue
doesn’t mean Revis wants out of New York.

“He has never asked to be traded,” the source said.

Jason Cole had an interesting article recently that I read.  Something about how the Jets arent actually negotiating with anyone, just taking offers.

I'll try to find it.  This is all very strange.  Revis is an incredible talent but not worth this headache every offseason nor is he worth paying 16mil for...for a CB???  No F'ing way. 

Here it is:  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---sources--jets--lack-of-cooperation-with-darrelle-revis--agents-hurting-trade-talks-005057591.html

Talk to enough NFL people about the trade market for cornerback Darrelle Revis and there is a recurring theme.

If the New York Jets want to get this done quickly, they would be best served working with Revis' agents Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.

It would behoove the Jets to trade Darrelle Revis soon. (AP)

"If I'm making this deal, there's a lot of stuff I need to know," an NFC team executive said. "I need to know if he's healthy. I need to know if he wants to play for us. I need to know if I'm going to get a long-term deal or is this one year and we'll see.

"But I talk to the Jets and they're like, 'OK, what are you offering?' I can't begin to figure it out."

Revis, who essentially has one year remaining on his contract, is scheduled to make $6 million next season. Following the 2013 season, the Jets can't use a franchise tag on him based on language in the contract.

Because the Jets are about to begin a rebuilding process, they do not want to pay Revis what would likely be in excess of $13 million per year and perhaps as much as $16 million a year. At the same time, any team trying to acquiring Revis would likely be interested in signing him to a long-term deal, particularly any team that is willing to give up a high draft pick or two.

In essence, if the Jets want to get as much as possible for Revis, they have to give teams a chance to negotiate with his agents to see if a long-term contract can be worked out. In addition, they have to give teams a chance to give him a physical because Revis is trying to return from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee that sidelined him most of the 2012 campaign.

However, new Jets general manager John Idzik, who has declined two requests by Yahoo! Sports to discuss the situation, has yet to give Schwartz and Feinsod permission to talk to other teams. In fact, the sides haven't talked for weeks. Aside from a couple of brief exchanges between Idzik and Revis, there has been almost no contact between the sides.

"What the Jets are creating is a situation where [the agents] have to beat them. Teams are saying, 'OK, we're trading picks for you, what kind of discount are we getting on the contract?' " a source said. "Well, why should [Revis] give somebody a discount when he can just wait it out and get his money? It makes no sense."

Conversely, it's in the Jets' best interest to get this done sooner than later before interested teams run out of cap space, and before Revis has to report to the team for the offseason program.

If they're just taking offers then they're just looking for someone to come up with something stupid ridiculous. Good to hear this FO isnt going with the JN GM strategy of selling him to whoever will save us from this massive burden of having a great player for the lowest possible price.

Idzik's got some Theo Epstein in him just from the little things I think I notice...Love the lack of desperation.

If they're just taking offers then they're just looking for someone to come up with something stupid ridiculous. Good to hear this FO isnt going with the JN GM strategy of selling him to whoever will save us from this massive burden of having a great player for the lowest possible price.

Love the lack of desperation.

That's the only way to get top deal. Never be desperate.

This sounds a lot like an article floated by a very enterprising GM to force the JETS hands or get them showing some urgency. Elway ?

it really doesn't matter what Revis is asking for. 

Even if he signs what appears to be a nice 5 year $60,000,000 deal, if he has a good year in 2013, and has collected his $22,000,000 or so guaranteed money next yeat, he’ll hold out.  What difference does it make what the contract says. 

Is the Revis watch really just beginning? 

Media hasn't had dick to talk about for weeks, it's been the ONLY thing they've hammered away at. There hasn't actually been news about it the whole time, just crappy writers writing crappy excerpts about crap, and then saying Revis's name a few times.

For instance:

Inside sources revis that Idzik hasn't revis-ed since revis-ing the revis this week with Revis's agents. Eerrrrpp aaaaaahhhhhh derrrrpppp... 

What difference does it make what the contract says.

#HowNFLTeamsOperate

Revis has said F this contract what...once so far? I mean legitimately so and not just a pass the time soap storyline before the offseason starts. "What difference does it make what the contract says" is SOP in the NFL.

If he were to holdout and all his garaunteed is paid then cut him. Why would it suddenly be different? Teams cutting a guy after clearing his garaunteed is hardly something new...

it really doesn't matter what Revis is asking for. 

Even if he signs what appears to be a nice 5 year $60,000,000 deal, if he has a good year in 2013, and has collected his $22,000,000 or so guaranteed money next yeat, he’ll hold out.  What difference does it make what the contract says. 

Revis has never been paid super HUGE money and then held out.  If he gets that big contract he presumably will have no reason to hold out. He's been trying to get to that big contract. 

Revis has never been paid super HUGE money and then held out.  If he gets that big contract he presumably will have no reason to hold out. He's been trying to get to that big contract. 

he got paid $32,500,000 first two years of this contract, then starting whining about a possibel hold out that he would decide in camp about.

Then he got hurt and only played, what?  Three games

#HowNFLTeamsOperate

Revis has said F this contract what...once so far? I mean legitimately so and not just a pass the time soap storyline before the offseason starts. "What difference does it make what the contract says" is SOP in the NFL.

If he were to holdout and all his garaunteed is paid then cut him. Why would it suddenly be different? Teams cutting a guy after clearing his garaunteed is hardly something new...

I thought a Revis holdout gives us exclusive rights through 2016. 

It's been my belief for a while now that Idzik is a smart guy and realizes that trading away your best players is not how you become better.  However, since there are salary cap issues to take into consideration I believe he is listening to offers, but his main reason for taking his time is to diminish the demand for a Revis.  These teams like San Fran and Atlanta aren't going to wait around when free agency opens and bypass players like Sean Smith, DRC etc. in hopes of landing Revis, they're going to go out and get the player they think will put them over the edge, effectively lowering the teams in the pool willing to pay revis his contract, which I believe will ultimately allow us to resign him at a more reasonable salary.  I'm not guaranteeing Revis will be a Jet as I can easily see him being traded if the right package comes along, however I do feel once some of these elite teams get their CB spots filled up, the chances of Revis being a Jet is more likely.

It's been my belief for a while now that Idzik is a smart guy and realizes that trading away your best players is not how you become better.  However, since there are salary cap issues to take into consideration I believe he is listening to offers, but his main reason for taking his time is to diminish the demand for a Revis.  These teams like San Fran and Atlanta aren't going to wait around when free agency opens and bypass players like Sean Smith, DRC etc. in hopes of landing Revis, they're going to go out and get the player they think will put them over the edge, effectively lowering the teams in the pool willing to pay revis his contract, which I believe will ultimately allow us to resign him at a more reasonable salary.  I'm not guaranteeing Revis will be a Jet as I can easily see him being traded if the right package comes along, however I do feel once some of these elite teams get their CB spots filled up, the chances of Revis being a Jet is more likely.

How smart would he look if they don't trade him, no negotiations or conversations happen, he looks like the old Revis, and then after a bad Jets season he bolts for the Patriots and the Jets get nothing at all for him?

How smart would he look if they don't trade him, no negotiations or conversations happen, he looks like the old Revis, and then after a bad Jets season he bolts for the Patriots and the Jets get nothing at all for him?

Obviously not trading him prior to the draft is contingent upon signing him ourselves.  My point was that an option is letting free agency unfold in the next handful of weeks, which will ultimately drive down both our trading partners and potential suitors for Revis, as one would imagine the only viable teams he'd be traded to are contending teams, which will probably want to lock up a CB soon if they don't seen a deal for revis coming.  After some of these elite teams are out of the running, Idzik could give Revis' agents permission to talk to other teams, realize the pool of teams interested in their player is diminished and then maybe they'd be more amenable to accepting say 12 million on average instead of 16.  Not saying it's going to happen, but it's certainly an option and a bit of leverage we have.

If his contract demands are as crippling as I am led to believe, we should want him to bolt to the Pats.  Or do you guys think that Belichick has some kind of magic vagina that will keep him from holding out?

Good post.  Another possibility is that a thinned market will increase his trade value...even if it means waiting for camp injuries in OTCs and mini-camps.  At which point we would be offered higher 2014 compensation, something Idzik may be focused on.   

If his contract demands are as crippling as I am led to believe, we should want him to bolt to the Pats.  Or do you guys think that Belichick has some kind of magic vagina that will keep him from holding out?

No no you don't get it...It only cripples the Jets. 

Archived