the offense is already better than last year

ylekram

got rid of a rb who cant catch

got rid of a te who cant block (these 2 threats were definetely hand tippers)

got rid of a coordinator who cant coordinate

defenses might actually not know whats coming at them this year just due to the offenses personell on the field

picked up a real coordinator= check

draft a complete tight end and running back.shouldnt be too hard

much better already

just gotta figure out what to do with the qb who cant throw

got rid of a rb who cant catch

got rid of a te who cant block (these 2 threats were definetely hand tippers)

got rid of a coordinator who cant coordinate

defenses might actually not know whats coming at them this year just due to the offenses personell on the field

picked up a real coordinator= check

draft a complete tight end and running back.shouldnt be too hard

much better already

just gotta figure out what to do with the qb who cant throw

Which one?

I actually agree that getting rid of Greene (as the STARTER) will greatly help the O. It still boggles my mind how many snaps he got each game. The Defenses had zero to worry about him coming out of the back field to make a catch. Guy is a really nice 2nd back to have for the second half of games but to just leave him in there as your starter for so long just tells you how incompetent they were. or are. 

I actually agree that getting rid of Greene (as the STARTER) will greatly help the O. It still boggles my mind how many snaps he got each game. The Defenses had zero to worry about him coming out of the back field to make a catch. Guy is a really nice 2nd back to have for the second half of games but to just leave him in there as your starter for so long just tells you how incompetent they were. or are. 

Totally agree on this point. I just hope we can get a decent te to replace Keller. I know he didnt block but he was Sanchezs safety blanket. We need to draft a TE who can start immediately.  It would also be nice if HIll turns into a decent Wr and Holmes comes back at full strength.  Then I will agree it has the possiblity of being a lot better

We have a part time team.  Maybe if they draft actually replacements, but other than that, they've brought in cheap injury prone guys who might stick around for a year or two.  It's more like, "we need to slash the team, but still put a team on the field" compared to actually building a team.     The draft over the next two years will make or break this new FO.  Whatever they do this year only matters in how the drafted players turn out.    

Why is everyone upset with the 1 year deal signing and guys whose contracts are coming up? I like that, these guys are playing for there jobs, for a riase even just for another NFL contract. You are going to get the best out of each guy. They may not be pro bowlers but at least they will be playing hard.

Why is everyone upset with the 1 year deal signing and guys whose contracts are coming up? I like that, these guys are playing for there jobs, for a riase even just for another NFL contract. You are going to get the best out of each guy. They may not be pro bowlers but at least they will be playing hard.

Like Landry?   Played well, is gone. Did nothing for the Jets future and hell, the team still went 6-10 with him playing well.    

So a bunch of 1 year guys who play lights out on a 5-11 team, wind up on some other team in 2014.

What does that do for the Jets future?   

One thing if you add some depth, another to just add cheap guys who probably won't be here after a season.  That's just putting a team on the field. Thats not building a team.

Totally agree on this point. I just hope we can get a decent te to replace Keller. I know he didnt block but he was Sanchezs safety blanket. We need to draft a TE who can start immediately.  It would also be nice if HIll turns into a decent Wr and Holmes comes back at full strength.  Then I will agree it has the possiblity of being a lot better

dont really need a one dimnesional tight end for a safety blanket if you have a rb who can actually catch

Hypotheticall speaking, how would you feel about our offense moving forward if the Jets drafted Geno Smith at #9, were able to land the Bucs 1st rounder in a Revis deal and draft Tavon Austin at #13, draft either Ertz or Eifert with our second round pick, then make the trade with the Saints to land Ivory? Granted, the defense would not be addressed until the 3rd round but in this scenario would our offense be much improved? Do you think it would have a chance to eventually become a playoff caliber unit by adding those players?

Like Landry? Played well, is gone. Did nothing for the Jets future and hell, the team still went 6-10 with him playing well.

So a bunch of 1 year guys who play lights out on a 5-11 team, wind up on some other team in 2014.

One thing if you add some depth, another to just add cheap guys who probably won't be here after a season. That's just putting a team on the field. Thats not building a team.

That could be good for a fifth round comp pick in 2014. Having multiple players leave in free agency helps to guarantee they get those comp picks even if they're active themselves in free agency. So while I certainly don't see it as a long term strategy, it may not be a bad plan for his first - a year where he's a little cap strapped, and there's a ton of uncertainty around the team from the coach, to the QB, to the HoF CB.

Hypotheticall speaking, how would you feel about our offense moving forward if the Jets drafted Geno Smith at #9, were able to land the Bucs 1st rounder in a Revis deal and draft Tavon Austin at #13, draft either Ertz or Eifert with our second round pick, then make the trade with the Saints to land Ivory? Granted, the defense would not be addressed until the 3rd round but in this scenario would our offense be much improved? Do you think it would have a chance to eventually become a playoff caliber unit by adding those players?

If the Jets use a second on Ivory, will kick the Tv over on Draft day, a fourth at the very most and that's pushing it, for their 3rd string back.

I would feel terrible because we drafted a QB who is not great and a midget WR for what we traded for Revis. Then you're hoping the two TEs would be there, but they won't. It's actually probably a terrible idea.

There's no way the offense is as bad as it was last year. The QBs are bad but not *that* bad. Soft schedule too...Could be a good year. 

Genuinely curious to what the thought process is when you see the AFC North and NFC South on the schedule and think "oh, piece of cake".  The Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals all play defense and can put points on the board.  No one in the NFC South plays much defense but they can all easily hang 40 on us.  None of these are good matchups for a team that looks like it's going to have trouble scoring.

Genuinely curious to what the thought process is when you see the AFC North and NFC South on the schedule and think "oh, piece of cake".  The Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals all play defense and can put points on the board.  No one in the NFC South plays much defense but they can all easily hang 40 on us.  None of these are good matchups for a team that looks like it's going to have trouble scoring.

when i look at the schedule,i dont see anything easy about it at all

When did Sanchez suddenly become 'not bad' ?

Like Landry?   Played well, is gone. Did nothing for the Jets future and hell, the team still went 6-10 with him playing well.    

One thing if you add some depth, another to just add cheap guys who probably won't be here after a season.  That's just putting a team on the field. Thats not building a team.

It's more than that.  Landry was a different type of acquisition with different goals in mind.  Last year the Jets were deluded into thinking they were going to contend for a SB with Sanchez.  This year I think they know better.  Also the GM who signed Landry isn't the one who decided not to re-sign him.

The 1 year rental of Landry was to try to see if we could get a stud for cheap if he could stay healthy. 

The 1 year rental of a lot of these other players, in my opinion, is to patch up every starting hole prior to the draft so we don't feel a need to draft for position and can draft purely for BPA/value.  

Sometimes you get a perfect marriage of great player + great value at our draft slot + glaring current hole on the roster (Mangold is the best fairly recent example of this I can think of for the Jets).  But to bet on it, particularly when we have so many needs, is poor planning.  It also prevents a rookie from walking into a starting job with no competition (if Rex can keep himself from such announcements in the future).

The 1 year rental of Landry was to try to see if we could get a stud for cheap if he could stay healthy. 

The 1 year rental of a lot of these other players, in my opinion, is to patch up every starting hole prior to the draft so we don't feel a need to draft for position and can draft purely for BPA/value.  

Plus, the one year rental of Landry should net the Jets a 4th or 5th round comp pick next year, and the one year rentals this year should help ensure they get more comp picks in 2015. I think that's part of the plan, too. Mr. Irrelevant wouldn't have too hard a time making this Jets roster. 

Plus, the one year rental of Landry should net the Jets a 4th or 5th round comp pick next year, and the one year rentals this year should help ensure they get more comp picks in 2015. I think that's part of the plan, too. Mr. Irrelevant wouldn't have too hard a time making this Jets roster. 

It's a cool trick.  I'm sure lots of teams do this every year.  The teams that people here scream bullsh*t about when they get 2-4 picks every single year.  It also means any marginal UFA won't cancel out a 4th round compensatory pick because we only had 3; even though they try to match level for level, in the end you can't receive compensatory picks if you picked up more UFA's than you lost.  Happened to us in the past when GM Bradway was asleep at the wheel on that & we only got 1 comp pick for McKenzie and Jordan because of Gardner.  Even though Gardner was a much lower level UFA, we didn't have another UFA lost that year to cancel his acquisition out.

Archived