It is basically impossible to be 2012 bad twice at QB.

SenorGato

EVEN if it is Sanchez himself doing the QB. The QB play was that level of bad last year.

Now pretend the rest of this post that won't exist proves the thread title correct. Sanchez was something like the 45th best QB in football according to Football Outsiders IIRC. That just...I mean sure it's possible to repeat that...anything's possible derp...but even between his first two years he came out to high 20's (which still sucks obviously). It's too extreme a number and simply by regressing Sanchez himself is probably going to improve.

THAT SAID - obviously this is not saying they should rest on the relatively safe assumption that last year was rock bottom for Sanchez and therefore the offense as a whole. There is much work to do. They should and probably will that work. Marty Mornhinweg is good at his job. 

EVEN if it is Sanchez himself doing the QB. The QB play was that level of bad last year.

Now pretend the rest of this post that won't exist proves the thread title correct. Sanchez was something like the 45th best QB in football according to Football Outsiders IIRC. That just...I mean sure it's possible to repeat that...anything's possible derp...but even between his first two years he came out to high 20's (which still sucks obviously). It's too extreme a number and simply by regressing Sanchez himself is probably going to improve.

THAT SAID - obviously this is not saying they should rest on the relatively safe assumption that last year was rock bottom for Sanchez and therefore the offense as a whole. There is much work to do. They should and probably will that work. Marty Mornhinweg is good at his job. 

This is sorta what I'm saying in my other thread... Sanchez was so bad he handed away at least 3 wins. We won 6 in spite of him. This team could win 9 games as easily as it could win 5. It will come down to QB play, and there's NO WAY I expect Sanchez, Garrard or Geno to be as bad under Morninwheg, as Sanchez was under Sporano.

Not turning the ball over, running the ball for 160 yards a game (which I believe we can do) and a top 8 defense will win you games. It really all comes down to the ******* turnovers. Sanchez had like 500 last year.

I'm not nearly as worried about the "lack of skillz posiitions players" as a lot of people. Morninwheg put together great offenses when all he had was McNabb, Westbrook, and their O-line. The receivers all caught 45 balls, but they collectively put together a great offense. There wasn't a need for 1-2 marquee players, because they had the QB. My logic is with a decent QB, see: Garrard or Geno, we can at least be a top 20 offense, which is about all Rex has ever needed (without fact checking) to win games with his D.

This is sorta what I'm saying in my other thread... Sanchez was so bad he handed away at least 3 wins. We won 6 in spite of him. This team could win 9 games as easily as it could win 5. It will come down to QB play, and there's NO WAY I expect Sanchez, Garrard or Geno to be as bad under Morninwheg, as Sanchez was under Sporano.

Not turning the ball over, running the ball for 160 yards a game (which I believe we can do) and a top 8 defense will win you games. It really all comes down to the ******* turnovers. Sanchez had like 500 last year.

I'm not nearly as worried about the "lack of skillz posiitions players" as a lot of people. Morninwheg put together great offenses when all he had was McNabb, Westbrook, and their O-line. The receivers all caught 45 balls, but they collectively put together a great offense. There wasn't a need for 1-2 marquee players, because they had the QB. My logic is with a decent QB, see: Garrard or Geno, we can at least be a top 20 offense, which is about all Rex has ever needed (without fact checking) to win games with his D.

You're taking the fun out of it, but yeah if the QBs perform better then all those things are more likely to happen. 

Good point about the Eagles offense. It really was once McNabb, Westrbook, and their OL. It was a big deal when TO went there because they finally got McNabb passing weaponz. 

There's bound to be a player or two from the pool of Powell/Hill/Smith/Cumberland/McKnigt/White/Reuland/Hilliard/7th round FB/Gates/Goodson/Ivory/whoever else.  

The further last season gets in the rear view mirror ... it seems to be getting clearer that Sparano is a dolt of high order. Certainly in the position of OC and perhaps in general. That didn't help the 2012 travesty, but I think his inability to put anything of substance together after week 5 totally separated Sanchez from any good mojo or ju ju he ever had going for him and let him deteriorate into a spooked mess. I don't believe Mark will ever be useful to the Jets again. I like Garrard, and I'm really anxious to see what Geno can do, but I hope the leash on Sanchez is so short that Marty can smack him with the other hand while he's holding it. If Marty can take the pieces he has and somehow get 2 TD's a game - we won't be a bad football team.

You're taking the fun out of it, but yeah if the QBs perform better then all those things are more likely to happen. 

Good point about the Eagles offense. It really was once McNabb, Westrbook, and their OL. It was a big deal when TO went there because they finally got McNabb passing weaponz. 

There's bound to be a player or two from the pool of Powell/Hill/Smith/Cumberland/McKnigt/White/Reuland/Hilliard/7th round FB/Gates/Goodson/Ivory/whoever else.  

I agree, I really don't see any way we'll see QB play for an entire season at that low of a level in the near future; if for no other reason than I think Rex or any other coach would run the ball 3 straight times and punt it before they'd allow Sanchez to single-handedly throw away that many games.

McNabb to TO was basically Brady to Moss about three years earlier.  It is worth noting that the second TO joined that team McNabb's numbers absolutely sky-rocketed.    

What?  You couldn't be this incoherent if you tried.  5 days of crack cocaine, peyote and whippets at an acid rock festival and you still could not be this insensible.  Does your applied Ape arrogance have no bounds?

If there is one thing I've learned from a lifetime of watching the Jets...

Back in the mid 1990s...team went 3-13..obviously taking good natured ribbing from many friends and family...I proudly boast...it can't get any worse...the Jets finish next season at 1-15.

Moral of the story...God put the Jets on earth to teach me humility.  For some reason God thinks I needed a real good lesson.

The problem with the "we won 6 last year so with better QB play we can win 9 this year" isn't that we can't win 9 this year.  Of course we can.  It's that it assumes the rest of the team other than QB is a constant, when in reality we had an exodus of sorts.  

Further, you don't get to take after-the-fact 2012 wins vs garbage Ari, Jac, & StL, add the Indy win and splits vs Buf/Mia, and simply start counting more wins from there for 2013.

Outside of the fact taht we don't have anything close to McNabb or Westbrook on this roster, it sounds very promising

What?  You couldn't be this incoherent if you tried.  5 days of crack cocaine, peyote and whippets at an acid rock festival and you still could not be this insensible.  Does your applied Ape arrogance have no bounds?

This is true, I've done the exact same regimen before and not in my wildest would i compare sanchez and ivory to mcnabb and westbrook... The ape is officially out of his tree

This is true, I've done the exact same regimen before and not in my wildest would i compare sanchez and ivory to mcnabb and westbrook... The ape is officially out of his tree

Yeah but Im pretty sure the Ape practices better hygiene.  

Andy Reid on why Mornhinweg didn't pick up and move to Kansas City with him:

"Marty, I thought did a phenomenal job calling the plays . . . I wanted to get back into doing that," Reid said. "I didn't think that was really fair [to ask Mornhinweg to come with him, without playcalling responsibilities] . . . we talked. It was a mutual thing. I didn't want to put him in a bad position. He'll help them; that's a great thing for [Jets quarterback Mark] Sanchez right there.""Marty, I thought did a phenomenal job calling the plays . . . I wanted to get back into doing that," Reid said. "I didn't think that was really fair [to ask Mornhinweg to come with him, without playcalling responsibilities] . . . we talked. It was a mutual thing. I didn't want to put him in a bad position. He'll help them; that's a great thing for [Jets quarterback Mark] Sanchez right there."

I think it's not understood that Reid and Mornhinweg are more peers than teacher/student. Marty M. was an "offensive assistant coach" when Reid was a TE coach for the Packers in 1995. They started coaching within two years of one another.

I get that now is the time for optimism, but turnovers won't immediately dry up just because (if?) the Jets remove Sanchez as the starter. Davis Garrard led the league in fumbles in his last two years, with 14 and 11 respectively (Sanchez had 10 and 14 over his last two years), and added 25 interceptions (36 for Sanchez, so a little hope here) over those two years as well. He's sat out the last two years. Is he going to be better protecting the football after that time off, or worse? 

And Geno also fumbled 32 times over the course of his career. His interception percentage was low, but so was the percentage of passes that he threw beyond the line of scrimmage. 

I don't know if you pulled the 160 rushing yards number out of your butt, or looked at Seattle's 161.2 ypg as a ballpark figure, but it's important to note that that Russell Wilson was the team's #2 rusher with 489 yards (or 30+/game) and Marshawn was a 99 yards/game beast. I recognize that Geno Smith is black and all, but he's not a running QB. He rushed for 342 over his entire collegiate career for a paltry 1.4 ypc. And I know there's a lot of Ivory buzz, but he's rushed for 1307 yards over his three year career to this point, a little short of Marshawn's 1590 last season. 

Just think this offense is going to be something of a work in progress this season, and a lot of the same complaints will probably be in play no matter which QB they go with. 

I get that now is the time for optimism, but turnovers won't immediately dry up just because (if?) the Jets remove Sanchez as the starter. Davis Garrard led the league in fumbles in his last two years, with 14 and 11 respectively (Sanchez had 10 and 14 over his last two years), and added 25 interceptions (36 for Sanchez, so a little hope here) over those two years as well. He's sat out the last two years. Is he going to be better protecting the football after that time off, or worse? 

And Geno also fumbled 32 times over the course of his career. His interception percentage was low, but so was the percentage of passes that he threw beyond the line of scrimmage. 

I don't know if you pulled the 160 rushing yards number out of your butt, or looked at Seattle's 161.2 ypg as a ballpark figure, but it's important to note that that Russell Wilson was the team's #2 rusher with 489 yards (or 30+/game) and Marshawn was a 99 yards/game beast. I recognize that Geno Smith is black and all, but he's not a running QB. He rushed for 342 over his entire collegiate career for a paltry 1.4 ypc. And I know there's a lot of Ivory buzz, but he's rushed for 1307 yards over his three year career to this point, a little short of Marshawn's 1590 last season. 

Just think this offense is going to be something of a work in progress this season, and a lot of the same complaints will probably be in play no matter which QB they go with. 

All fair points, but there's more to life than sitting around planning for the worst case scenario. 

If at the end of the year, I'm wrong, then oh well... I'll be wrong with a smile on my face. I'm not being a blind homer about things, my optimism is rooted in logic, now we just need to hope to get through the year without any Murphy's Law.

Archived