Eric Mangini joining 49er's staff

faba

he was saddled with Shotty so in his infinate wisdom he hires Sparano.... yeah hes brilliant all the while still preaching ground and pound in a passing league and without the horses to even pull it off.

Plus hes too scared to unleash the Sanchez No Huddle passing attack on the league, amirite???!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh... Rex got lucky to even make the playoffs the first year and we've still yet to host a playoff game. Neither of those teams at any point looked like legitimate SB contenders. THe Jets at 8-3 under Mangini in 2008 looked more the part then any of Rex's teams

Oh, c'mon man. You preach the QB mantra enough to know that that 8-3 was all about Favre and nothing about Mangini. As soon as Favre got hurt, they looked like that 4-12 team again.

In the likely event that Rex gets fired after this season, his tenure here will have been no more fruitful than Herm's, and will have been less fruitful than Mangini's. At least Mangini left behind Revis, Mangold, and Brick, and he righted the ship after the disastrous Herm/Bradway Era similarly to how Parcells righted the ship after Kotite. Rex will have the two AFC Championship appearances, but he'll leave behind a full-bore rebuild.

o_0

What percentage of stuff you type do you actually believe? Because you are heaping bullsh*t upon this thread with a bulldozer. :lol:

Herm won a playoff game in his second to last season, then finished 4-12. Mangini took over and went 0-1 in the playoffs, and followed that up with a 4-12 season. How does that even remotely compare to Parcells taking over for Kotote? Because he went 3/4 on first round picks? That's ridiculous.

If Rex gets fired at the end of this season, the Jets will probably need a QB. Exactly the position Rex was in when he took over.

None of this is to say that Mangini is a better coach than Rex. If I had to pick a coach to lead my team through a playoff run, Rex would clearly be the choice, and might be one of my top-ten coaches overall for that task. But, if I had to hire a coach to lead my franchise on a five-year rebuild, Rex might literally be the last coach I'd pick.

Interesting.

Where, in the history of the NFL, has a newly hired coach gotten fired after two seasons, one of which resulted in a playoff appearance?

How often does a coach lose his team as completely in his second season after a playoff one & out as Mangini did in 2007? The degree in which he lost that team was significantly worse than the losing of the locker room that Rex gets accused of. At least Rex has half the team behind him. Mangini lost everyone. The team collectively tuned him out. There's a reason the best job he can get in football is scouting opponents. He's a horrible football coach.

LOL.  Forget any comparison to Rex, this pedestal that people are suddenly trying to put the Jets' 2008 season under Mangini is absurd.  Outside of one 2 week stretch, nobody particularly felt this way back in 2008.  The Jets were barely pulling off wins against completely garbage teams like the Chiefs while getting embarrassed by teams like the Raiders because of moronically stupid ******* coaching.  The first big win of their season came in overtime against the Cassel-led Patriots.  The game that finally had any non-Jets fans convinced the Jets might be real was the following week with their win over the 10-0 Titans (who finished the season going 3-3 and then 1 and done in the playoffs).  Meanwhile, after that game, the Jets were laughably awful.

This bullsh*t praise of Mangini only first started long after he was gone when people were desperate to find someone to give the credit for any of Tanny's successful moves and has only intensified due to the need for some to now find someone to give the credit for any of Rex's early success.  Tanny sucked all on his own and if you think Rex sucks (and I can certainly see the argument), it's because of his own actions, and that still holds true even if they did each manage to have moments of success, and not because of some horsesh*t ramblings attempting to retroactively praise someone everyone was thrilled to see go at the time.

Nonsense... the whole idea going into that season was that it would take Favre a bit to learn the new system. 3/4 of the way through we win back to back road games against 2 of the top teams in football and are sitting in sole place on top of the division, 100% people were thinking we were the team to beat in the AFC. 

That wasn't my point, my point was that Ryan's back to back AFC game appearances don't hold up so well to scrutiny. I think Mangini is a terrible coach, but the 2008 team was the first and last time I thought SB since 1998..

Oh, c'mon man. You preach the QB mantra enough to know that that 8-3 was all about Favre and nothing about Mangini. As soon as Favre got hurt, they looked like that 4-12 team again.

OMG with this crap. Like arguing who is the the best racehorse ever to never win a race. QB's make the coach period.

Yes and our current tubby one is loyal to a QB cause he wants to watch him schtupp his wife, rather then anything that happens on the field.

He completely lost the entire team. As a group, they tuned out his BS authoritarian approach the same way McDaniels got tuned out. There's only one Belichick, and pretending to be him ends in failure.

Fact

Mangini was carried by Pennington and Favre, two different quarterbacks, and we should assume that the one bad season of three was the only real one. Can something that occurred 66% of the time be considered the aberration? But we should give extra credit to Rex for his two good seasons and ignore his two awful ones, because he was a good defensive coordinator once?

What percentage of stuff you type do you actually believe?

All of it. Having history on one's side is good for the ego.

Because you are heaping bullsh*t upon this thread with a bulldozer. :lol:

Me: Mangini and Rex are both failures.

Me: Rex's team today is worse than the team he assumed.

Me: Rex will likely be fired and everyone defending him in this thread will be tearing him apart three years from now, because amnesia.

Which bullsh*t are you referring to?

Herm won a playoff game in his second to last season, then finished 4-12. Mangini took over and went 0-1 in the playoffs, and followed that up with a 4-12 season. How does that even remotely compare to Parcells taking over for Kotote? Because he went 3/4 on first round picks? That's ridiculous.

Because, and I know you know this, Herm was a lightweight player's coach whose teams were soft and a mess. Mangini, like Parcells, had to douche every hallway in the building to get the stink out.

If Rex gets fired at the end of this season, the Jets will probably need a QB. Exactly the position Rex was in when he took over.

If Rex gets fired at the end of the season, it'll be because he drafted , coached, and played a bad QB and surrounded him with a pitiful offense and hired pitiful offensive coordinators and ran an overrated defense that progressively fooled only rookies and journeymen. Sanchez is a fraction of Rex's issues.

How often does a coach lose his team as completely in his second season after a playoff one & out as Mangini did in 2007? The degree in which he lost that team was significantly worse than the losing of the locker room that Rex gets accused of. At least Rex has half the team behind him. Mangini lost everyone. The team collectively tuned him out. There's a reason the best job he can get in football is scouting opponents. He's a horrible football coach.

Rex had half the team behind him during dual collapses, but the team quit on Mangini one year and magically unquit the next season? Come on, dawg

Rex had half the team behind him during dual collapses, but the team quit on Mangini one year and magically unquit the next season? Come on, dawg

The team went right back into full quit mode as soon as Favre's arm fell off. It was instantaneous.

Mangini is/was a terrible coach. That's why he's locked in a room by himself with the 49ers. They don't want him talking to anyone.

Rex Ryan: 34-30, 1 losing season, 4 playoff wins.

Eric Mangini: 33-47, 1 playoff birth, zero playoff wins.

WTF are we talking about here?

Oh let me guess, Rex Ryan ruined the great Eric Mangini's hard work as Jets HC.  That juggernaut offense of Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones and Chansi Stuckey was perfect and just needed anything but the incompetence of Rex Ryan to step in the drivers seat and take that ridiculously loaded offense to the promise land.

Rex Ryan: 34-30, 1 losing season, 4 playoff wins.

Eric Mangini: 33-47, 1 playoff birth, zero playoff wins.

WTF are we talking about here?

Oh let me guess, Rex Ryan ruined the great Eric Mangini's hard work as Jets HC.  That juggernaut offense of Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones and Chansi Stuckey was perfect and just needed anything but the incompetence of Rex Ryan to step in the drivers seat and take that ridiculously loaded offense to the promise land.

I already said I think Rex is a more talented football coach, just an idiot from a big picture perspective which I think was what Mangini did do better. Mangini inherited a team well over the cap and pretty devoid of talent thanks to Herm and Bradway. I don't think Mangini was a very good coach but I also don't see how anyone can disagree Rex Inherited a much better roster thanks to Mangini, then Mangini inherited from Herm/Bradway and if Rex left today he'd be leaving the next HC with a far worse roster then he got saddled with. I would take Rex over Mangini 100 times out of 100 as coach but if he's going to take no ownership of the offense then there needed to be a GM who would be responsible for not letting that side of the ball fester to the point it's at now and put in a OC capable of running an offense independently of Rex. The guy is his father's son and his father only won it as basically the HC of the defense, independent from Ditka who was basically HC of just the offense.

I already said I think Rex is a more talented football coach, just an idiot from a big picture perspective which I think was what Mangini did do better. Mangini inherited a team well over the cap and pretty devoid of talent thanks to Herm and Bradway. I don't think Mangini was a very good coach but I also don't see how anyone can disagree Rex Inherited a much better roster thanks to Mangini, then Mangini inherited from Herm/Bradway and if Rex left today he'd be leaving the next HC with a far worse roster then he got saddled with. I would take Rex over Mangini 100 times out of 100 as coach but if he's going to take no ownership of the offense then there needed to be a GM who would be responsible for not letting that side of the ball fester to the point it's at now and put in a OC capable of running an offense independently of Rex. The guy is his father's son and his father only won it as basically the HC of the defense, independent from Ditka who was basically HC of just the offense.

Please, Mangini's whole roster was a square peg in the round hole.  And the guy was such an idiot and such a hard headed moron he brought over half the of the same square peg round hole players to the Browns where he failed miserably. 

He sucked, he's garbage, his record proved it.  His jobs since proved it.  I give him credit for nothing.  Those teams were built by Tanny, not him.  Just look at how sh*tty he drafted his 2 shorts season in Clev.

And Mangini ignored the offense just as much as Rex does, in both places he's coached.  Poop.  Straight poop.  Leave it to T0mShane to start such a sh*tty thread.  

Please, Mangini's whole roster was a square peg in the round hole.  And the guy was such an idiot and such a hard headed moron he brought over half the of the same square peg round hole players to the Browns where he failed miserably. 

He sucked, he's garbage, his record proved it.  His jobs since proved it.  I give him credit for nothing.  Those teams were built by Tanny, not him.  Just look at how sh*tty he drafted his 2 shorts season in Clev.

And Mangini ignored the offense just as much as Rex does, in both places he's coached.  Poop.  Straight poop.  Leave it to T0mShane to start such a sh*tty thread.  

I just said he was a horrible coach and I said it was mainly cause he was to inflexible with plugging players into a scheme instead of scheming towards players. Tanny didn't draft sh*t, Mangini thought he was Bill Bellicheck and Tanny was supposed to be his puppet and handle contracts. If you're claiming Mangini didn't leave Rex a better roster you're just being your typical, difficult self. Mangini left Rex the best line in football, Rex let it go to sh*t.

EDIT: this quoting system is the worst.. not sure why that twerp jf80's post is quoted in here and I couldn't remove it without messing up the slats quote.  ftr.I would never directly respond to anything that nitwit has to say

Like I care that you read what I have to say you miserable c u next tuesday.

Love you.

I just said he was a horrible coach and I said it was mainly cause he was to inflexible with plugging players into a scheme instead of scheming towards players. Tanny didn't draft sh*t, Mangini thought he was Bill Bellicheck and Tanny was supposed to be his puppet and handle contracts. If you're claiming Mangini didn't leave Rex a better roster you're just being your typical, difficult self. Mangini left Rex the best line in football, Rex let it go to sh*t.

Yes, Rex inherited a slightly better piece of sh*t than Mangini.

This must be a very confusing time for you, trying to reconcile how the Jets never won anything with wunderkinds Rex Ryan and Brian Schottenheimer leading the way.

4 playoff wins in 2 seasons under Rex > 2 playoff wins total in the 10 seasons prior.  This idea that we didn't "win anything" is a stupid argument.  We went into New England and beat the Pats in the playoffs on the road.  How many people can say that?  Jim Harbaugh?  Just because we haven't won a Super Bowl yet Rex is automatically a failure of a coach?  I'm not buying it.  We root for a sh*tty organization and Rex has a good bit of room for improvement, but a failure he is not.

I'm excited to see Rex continue to be the Jets HC going forward so we can have more moments like that great 2010 season.  Until then Tom maybe you can be more productive with your time and come up with some coaching candidates to replace Rex. 

4 playoff wins in 2 seasons under Rex > 2 playoff wins total in the 10 seasons prior. This idea that we didn't "win anything" is a stupid argument. We went into New England and beat the Pats in the playoffs on the road. How many people can say that? Jim Harbaugh? Just because we haven't won a Super Bowl yet Rex is automatically a failure of a coach? I'm not buying it. We root for a sh*tty organization and Rex has a good bit of room for improvement, but a failure he is not.

I'm excited to see Rex continue to be the Jets HC going forward so we can have more moments like that great 2010 season. Until then Tom maybe you can be more productive with your time and come up with some coaching candidates to replace Rex.

Do they hang banners for playoff appearances?

The next head coach of the Jets will be Darrell Bevell.

Oh yeah because this hasn't been said a million times here.  You've become so unoriginal.  So if a coach doesn't win a Super Bowl or Division title for his first 4 years as a HC in the league he's a failure in your book?  Playoff wins count for nothing?  I wasn't aware things fell into such a simple dichotomy in the NFL.

Do they hang banners for playoff appearances?

Why do Giants fans talk about Jim Fassel like he was Rich Kotite?

Why did many Giants fans want Tom Coughlin fired during the 2011 season?  They're selfish, spoiled, stupid a$$holes.  That's why.  They root for a class organization that wins a Super Bowl every decade on lock yet are perpetually complaining.  Not exactly a great example.

Oh yeah because this hasn't been said a million times here.  You've become so unoriginal.  So if a coach doesn't win a Super Bowl or Division title for his first 4 years as a HC in the league he's a failure in your book?  Playoff wins count for nothing?  I wasn't aware things fell into such a simple dichotomy in the NFL.

When the performance following those playoff years devolve, those playoffs wins look more shallow. 

Why did many Giants fans want Tom Coughlin fired during the 2011 season? They're selfish, spoiled, stupid a$$holes. That's why. They root for a class organization that wins a Super Bowl every decade on lock yet are perpetually complaining. Not exactly a great example.

Stupid Giants fans, expecting to win and stuff and holding the team to a high standard!! Dickssssss!!

Stupid Giants fans, expecting to win and stuff and holding the team to a high standard!! Dickssssss!!

They demand Coughlin gets fired, he wins a Super Bowl.  They demand him to get fired, he wins another Super Bowl.  It's one thing to have high standards, its another to be complete morons.  Good thing the people running the show don't listen to the fans.  I'm glad Idzik didn't listen to the people demanding Rex gets fired either.

This must be a very confusing time for you, trying to reconcile how the Jets never won anything with wunderkinds Rex Ryan and Brian Schottenheimer leading the way.

Meh, they accomplished more than you will give them credit for and that's fine. 

Boy are you lucky you have that whole "the Super Bowl is all that matters" thing to fall back on. Fact is that not all losing teams are the same, not all losing HCs are the same, and not all losing Jets HCs are the same. Edwards has not coached in years, and never will in the NFL again. Mangini simply did not produce the kind of defenses Ryan put out, let alone get the on field results. Bottoming out of 6 wins, a top 10 pass D, and a top 15 run D is not as dramatically bad as you enjoy imagining it to be. That is especially true given the possibly historically bad QB play they got in 2012. 

Fact is that not all losing teams are the same, not all losing HCs are the same, and not all losing Jets HCs are the same. Edwards has not coached in years, and never will in the NFL again. Mangini simply did not produce the kind of defenses Ryan put out, let alone get the on field results. Bottoming out of 6 wins, a top 10 pass D, and a top 15 run D is not as dramatically bad as you enjoy imagining it to be. That is especially true given the possibly historically bad QB play they got in 2012.

Who gives a sh*t if Rex put a "top 15 run D" on the field for a 6-10 squad? What's that going to be worth in two years? You really want to define productive losing vs. non-productive losing?

Not that I particularly have a horse in this argument, but don't you really get on Yankees' fans for expecting to win every year and essentially acting the exact same way your defending the giants' fans for acting??  Which isn't too surprising seeing as how they're usually one in the same fan.

Who gives a sh*t if Rex put a "top 15 run D" on the field for a 6-10 squad? What's that going to be worth in two years? You really want to define productive losing vs. non-productive losing?

Smart people. Top 10 pass D too. It's worth more right now as a predictive number for 2013 than the record is. No clue what you're going on about at the end. Once again, not all losing teams are the same. Not all losing seasons are the same. Not all losing coaches are the same. Not all losing HCs are the same. Not all losing Jets HCs are the same. 

Archived